register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering

Old 05-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
NorCalAirman
Off we go . . .

Front Suspension Leaking

Well, following my recent accident my front forks have started to slowly leak and I've noticed that in turns, as soon as the weight really increases on them, they dip sharply, which can be a bit disconcerting. How screwed am I? Are we talking a full rebuild, or just new seals? I have no idea what this is gonna cost me. It's barely rideable right now, but hitting the twisties aggressively is OUT.
NorCalAirman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
sportryder
Quiet Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAirman View Post
Well, following my recent accident my front forks have started to slowly leak and I've noticed that in turns, as soon as the weight really increases on them, they dip sharply, which can be a bit disconcerting. How screwed am I? Are we talking a full rebuild, or just new seals? I have no idea what this is gonna cost me. It's barely rideable right now, but hitting the twisties aggressively is OUT.
They need to be checked to make sure they are straight when you have the seals replaced. I don't know how much force was delivered to your forks in your accident but the condition of them is not something you want to take lightly. A fork seal replacement, full disassembly and inspection at the shop is $150 + seals, bushings (if needed) and return shipping. That would be a bit over $200 total. If the inner tubes are bent (quite possible) we might be able to straighten them if the amount is less than .030" out of perfect straightness. Usually when they are bent more than that, there is a crease in the tube just below where they are clamped with the lower triple clamp. If there is a crease, we consider them junk. Call me at the shop if you have questions. 770-592-3823

Last edited by sportryder; 05-16-2010 at 03:49 PM. Reason: added "how" and removed "was" to correct the 2nd sentence
sportryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
flbusa
Pot Stirrer

New inner fork tubes for the gen 1 aren't too bad either. They're about $120 ea. at Ron Ayers.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
AleHole

Sounds like a perfect excuse for an upgrade. Send them to Lee for some Traxxion luvin'. Upgrading my suspension was my best mod yet.
AleHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
NorCalAirman
Off we go . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleHole View Post
Sounds like a perfect excuse for an upgrade. Send them to Lee for some Traxxion luvin'. Upgrading my suspension was my best mod yet.
Yeah, by the time I can afford anything to be done to them, I'll be able to afford a total upgrade, which I wanted anyway. Thanks, guys.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
rswebscan
Nada Como El Sol

Dang. Sorry to hear they are now leaking....
Old 05-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
NorCalAirman
Off we go . . .

Well, I talked to my uncle who recently shut down his full service motorcycle shop and he is gonna help me out. With his help and the shop, which he moved into his own garage, I should be back on the road in no time.

Last edited by NorCalAirman; 05-19-2010 at 07:57 PM.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering