make a donation to the fz1oa
fz1oa chat
fz1oa picture uploader
maintain your own photo albums
locate fz1oa members
Members Assistance Guide
search the entire board
click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Purchasing, Insurance, & Warranty

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2003, 05:53 AM   #1
Triften
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Answers to Insurance questions

Instead of having fifty threads ask the same question, I decided to incorporate the last two years or so of insurance posts into one easy to read list.

FZ-1 Is sometimes listed as FZS1000, FZS1000N (North America), or FZS1000NC (for those of you in California.)

These guys "specialize" in bike insurance and seem to cover most of the US (DE excluded, possibly others.) In most areas, they have some of the best rates.
Dairyland Insurance: www.sentryonline.com 1-888-324-7952

These guys cover every where but NJ, NC, HI, and MA:
Markel American Insurance: www.bike-line.com

Everybody should get a quote from these guys, just in case they get a good rate:
Progressive (www.progressive.com/)
Geico (www.geico.com)

These guys seem to require an auto insurance policy with them as well:
State Farm (www.statefarm.com/)
Allstate (www.allstate.com/)
Nationwide (www.nationwide.com/)
GMAC (www.gmacinsurance.com/) 1-800-GMAC-123
Metropolitain Life (www.metlife.com/)

IF you are military or a dependant of military personel:
USAA (www.usaa.com/)

Area specific companies:

Midwest only:
Watkins & Keyerleber (www.cycle-insurance.com/) 1-800-321-4627
Mendota (www.mendotains.com/)
American Family (www.amfam.com/) Also covers some SW states.

CA:
Jennifer Monosco Ins. 1-818-889-5996

NJ:
Rider Insurance (www.njrider.com/) 973-258-9500

Canada:
Primmum (www.primmum.com/)

If you have anything you think I should add to this, post it below or e-mail me at atmaweapon0 (at) hotmail.com.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 09:26 AM   #2
RoadRashed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Answers to Insurance questions

Very nice summary. Should be very helpful to lots of people.

I know I've already said it in a couple of posts, but Dairyland beat Progressive, Allstate, and Geico for me by over 25%. If they are in your area, be sure to give them a call. Bottom line is shop around. One company might be cheaper in one city, but be the worst deal in another. Again, CALL AROUND. You can save hundreds.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 10:37 AM   #3
Chips Ahoy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Answers to Insurance questions

Triften,
Lots of good information here. Thanks for compiling this. I used your list as a starting point to look for insurance for my new FZ1.

For background, I am an over 40 male with ~20 years riding experience, no traffic violations in over ten years, married and a homeowner (yes, my FZ1 will live in a garage). Seems all these thing are important to insurers.

So here's what I found:

Most of the large insurers that do not write policies in Delaware refer their motorcycle quotes to Progressive. That would be the case with Colonial Penn (GE), Sentry(Dairyland), and Metropolitan.

Liberty Mutual would only write a bike policy in conjunction with an auto policy.

My current bike policy is with Markel American Insurance ( <a href="http://www.bike-line.com" target="top">www.bike-line.com</a> ) and they wanted more than twice what everyone else wanted.

I got tired of searching and I ended up going with Progressive. Now all I need is my bike (see link <a href="http://pub29.ezboard.com/ffz1ownersassociationfrm84.showMessage?topicID=2.t opic" target="top">pub29.ezboard.com/ffz1ownersassociationfrm84.showMessage?topicID=2.t opic</a> ). It's due any day now. <img src=http://www.lapetitecoccinelle.com/emoticon/emoticon/em321.gif ALT=":knockonwood">

Listen to RoadRashed and SHOP AROUND!

Thanks again.
Keith

  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 03:14 PM   #4
Triften
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Answers to Insurance questions

Chips,

Are you sure about Dairyland in DE? Because my Progressive quote was $6000 and Dairyland (that I have now) was $1050.

Or do you mean that the large insurers go to smaller businesses?

Also, where are you located?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 06:13 PM   #5
Chips Ahoy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Answers to Insurance questions

Triften,
I am in north Wilmington by the Concord mall. I called the toll free number from the Sentryonline.com page and the person who took my call said they did not insure in Delaware but they would recommend using Progressive. She gave me the option of being transferred there or getting a quote from the Progressive site. Maybe I should have had her transfer me but I went to the web site.

Not to rub it in but I pay $400/yr for my policy:
$15K Bodily Injury/$3K Property damage/$10K Guest passsenger
$15K Uninsured/$30K underinsured motorists bodily injury
$10K ($250 deductible) uninsured motorists property damage
Medical payments - No coverage
$15K per person/$30K per accident (no deductible) PIP
Comprehensive ($100 dedctible)
Collision ($1K deductible)
$1000 Custom parts & Equipment

It seems like less of the big companies are writing motorcycle policies and they are steering that business to Progressive. Makes you wonder.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 04:52 PM   #6
ats80hd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Answers to Insurance questions

Hey Admins,

How about adding this to posts worth keeping?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 05:25 PM   #7
klroth025
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Strongsville, OH
Posts: 3
Beware of Progressive

I am 31, single, male, 3yrs exp., NE Ohio

4-25-03 Found a good deal on a left over '02 FZ1 in blue.
5-5-03 Agreed on a price with the dealer.
5-6-03 Get reasonable quote from Progressive(15/30/10/Comp & Coll w/$250 deduct./9 on 3 off policy/$848)
5-8-03 Call dealer have him prep bike.
5-10-03 AM Pick up bike!!!
5-10-03 PM Call Progressive to get policy started.

Agent tells me this policy will cost $3200
State mins. and $1000 deduct. will cost $1007
They can't find the quote for $848
They say the had a "rate revision" the day after I called.
Have them put policy in place to cover my @ss.

Call Gieco and get quote similar to first Progressive quote, but 12 months on for $994, and that's before I switch my 2 cars to them and get another 5% off the motorcycle policy.

Needless to say... Progressive.
klroth025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 11:12 AM   #8
silver03
dirty little dave
 
silver03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great NorthWet
Posts: 2,638
Thumbs up

Triften,

What a great resource. After my astronomical rate increase with Progressive, I was looking for the "one stop shopping" list of insurance companies. Thank you for taking the time to put this together. It is greatly appreciated.
__________________
silver03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 07:55 AM   #9
xt225
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: wv
Posts: 7
dairyland

liability for my new 02 fz1 was 69 dollars a year-actually lower than my xt225 same insurer.
xt225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 09:19 PM   #10
ZR2andFZ1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1
Angry Insurance scams and their BS

I am having the same issues with Allstate right now. I was originally paying $600/yr for full coverage on a 2003 FZ1. I just got my new policy and it went up to $2732/yr, but they were gracious enough to give me an $800 discount. That way I only pay $1932/yr, aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh, they piss me off. I have always fought with insurance on the issue of "cc's" in regard to engine size classification. You have to continually argue with them (insurance dirt-bags) that they are screwing me by miss classifying the engine size. If Yamaha says 998cc, then that is the size you friggin' morons. I was looking to see if anyone else was getting the shaft on their insurance and this post helped a lot. Before I get too pissed off thinking about this anymore. I got the same quote on a Harley Davidson Dyna Glide Sport (~ $15000 bike) and the yearly quote was around $600. Pissed me off. I asked if this is because they are trying to aid American bikes. Hell, that overpriced bike is more likely to get stolen, then say a 2003 FZ1 worth about $6500 if you tried to sell. Anyway, thanks to everyone for their information...
ZR2andFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 03:50 PM   #11
James Bialas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Da UP, eh
Posts: 109
Of course, don't forget the argument for not carrying comprehensive and collision.

Here's how I justify it. Say I ball my bike up pretty bad next spring. Assuming I had carried full coverage with a $500 deductible, this is what I would have ended up with:

(This is using a $753 quote from Dairyland- best I could find, and a current value of the bike based on kelly blue book retail)


Suppose I crash it bad enough that the insurance company totals it, which given the cost of bike parts is highly likely for even some relatively minor crashes:

I'd get $6235 minus my $500 deductible. Of course, I'd have spent about $1400 on insurance at that point- so, effectively, I'd end up getting about $4335 out of the deal.

That wouldn't even come close to buying a similar FZ1- especially where I live.

The deal only gets worse as you spend more money on insurance and the value of the bike drops as time marches on.

It's such a bad deal that I'm willing to bet any crash damage I might get could easily be covered by the money I saved on premiums.

Furthermore, this isn't like my car where if I were to have an accident, I'd need transportation of some sort the next day to get to work. With the bike, I have time to scour used parts dealers and reassemble the thing myself- maybe make a few upgrades along the way.

On top of that, knowing I have to deal with consequences of my actions tends to encourge less risk taking and staying aware of what other drivers are doing.

The racket just doesn't add up to me. And insurance companies themselves just piss me off. Can't I just look at a table to figure out my rate given all the factors that count? No, I've got to fill out forms and harass agents about possible discounts for certifications and memberships so much, I eventually get pissed and just settle for one.

Then there's the whole claims headache as well. I've talked to plenty of mechanics who have nothing nice to say at all about some of the chiseler agents they've had to deal with.


Arrggghhh.... see what happens when I can't get out and ride? Endless rants. Time to go eat dinner and play in the snow in the Jeep.
James Bialas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
halouis
Registered User
 
halouis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bialas View Post
Of course, don't forget the argument for not carrying comprehensive and collision.

Here's how I justify it. Say I ball my bike up pretty bad next spring. Assuming I had carried full coverage with a $500 deductible, this is what I would have ended up with:

(This is using a $753 quote from Dairyland- best I could find, and a current value of the bike based on kelly blue book retail)


Suppose I crash it bad enough that the insurance company totals it, which given the cost of bike parts is highly likely for even some relatively minor crashes:

I'd get $6235 minus my $500 deductible. Of course, I'd have spent about $1400 on insurance at that point- so, effectively, I'd end up getting about $4335 out of the deal.

That wouldn't even come close to buying a similar FZ1- especially where I live.

The deal only gets worse as you spend more money on insurance and the value of the bike drops as time marches on.

It's such a bad deal that I'm willing to bet any crash damage I might get could easily be covered by the money I saved on premiums.

Furthermore, this isn't like my car where if I were to have an accident, I'd need transportation of some sort the next day to get to work. With the bike, I have time to scour used parts dealers and reassemble the thing myself- maybe make a few upgrades along the way.

On top of that, knowing I have to deal with consequences of my actions tends to encourge less risk taking and staying aware of what other drivers are doing.

The racket just doesn't add up to me. And insurance companies themselves just piss me off. Can't I just look at a table to figure out my rate given all the factors that count? No, I've got to fill out forms and harass agents about possible discounts for certifications and memberships so much, I eventually get pissed and just settle for one.

Then there's the whole claims headache as well. I've talked to plenty of mechanics who have nothing nice to say at all about some of the chiseler agents they've had to deal with.


Arrggghhh.... see what happens when I can't get out and ride? Endless rants. Time to go eat dinner and play in the snow in the Jeep.
anyone else NOT carrying comprehensive/collision? for my FZ1 it's $9 for Comp and $82 for collision. doesn;t seem like a tremendous amount, but yeah I only paid 3500 for the bike. that's w/ 250/250 deductibles. not sure if it's really worth while.
__________________
-Hal


'03 FZ1 "Lisbeth"
halouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:41 AM   #13
BruinFZ1guy
Chronically obsessive.
 
BruinFZ1guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Glendale, CA
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by halouis View Post
anyone else NOT carrying comprehensive/collision? for my FZ1 it's $9 for Comp and $82 for collision. doesn;t seem like a tremendous amount, but yeah I only paid 3500 for the bike. that's w/ 250/250 deductibles. not sure if it's really worth while.
For my bike I buy state-minimum liability. It's about $120 a year. I can't remember what the full coverage with a $500 deductible was. I think about $80 a month (with a dui from a few years ago). I figure I'll risk it. Although reading about the theft in the last post makes me wonder (hopefully no one wants an '05 FZ1). I guess I just figure the low risk is worth the cost savings. A brand new R1 and I'd buy it, but then again the premium here was gonna be over $200 a month, which is one of the reasons I didn't buy a new R1!
BruinFZ1guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:00 AM   #14
mel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 182
I only carry liability (State Farm) on my '03 Bee. I very seldom park in a spot where theft is a possibility, and figure I'll deal with the damage if I crash.
mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 09:21 PM   #15
klroth025
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Strongsville, OH
Posts: 3
Re: Beware of Progressive

Well, I'm adding to this entry because Geico is no better than all the rest of the greedy, blood sucking insurance companies.
Two small details left out by the representative I talked to on the phone:
#1 They ask you if you have riding experience. If you do, they give you a substantial discount, but if your motorcycle endorsement on your licence is not in effect the day they check, they take away the discount.
#2 You have to prove you have a garage to keep your bike in. Yet another increase of over $600/yr. because of carry away theft.

So I ended up at Dairyland.

Quote:
Originally posted by klroth025
I am 31, single, male, 3yrs exp., NE Ohio

4-25-03 Found a good deal on a left over '02 FZ1 in blue.
5-5-03 Agreed on a price with the dealer.
5-6-03 Get reasonable quote from Progressive(15/30/10/Comp & Coll w/$250 deduct./9 on 3 off policy/$848)
5-8-03 Call dealer have him prep bike.
5-10-03 AM Pick up bike!!!
5-10-03 PM Call Progressive to get policy started.

Agent tells me this policy will cost $3200
State mins. and $1000 deduct. will cost $1007
They can't find the quote for $848
They say the had a "rate revision" the day after I called.
Have them put policy in place to cover my @ss.

Call Gieco and get quote similar to first Progressive quote, but 12 months on for $994, and that's before I switch my 2 cars to them and get another 5% off the motorcycle policy.

Needless to say... Progressive.
klroth025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:51 PM   #16
yamabob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 57
ha too bad you don,t live in mass. they tell you don,t bother shop around we all give same rate because state of mass has a no fault so all rates the same i pay 645.00 for my thunderbird triumph 900 cc 2001 value 6000 500 ded. collision comprehensive and fire .theft as well as bodily injury to others and passengers all included but i want to sell thunderbird and get fz1 and they can,t quote me yet because they are waiting for the new state rates . oh i hate mass. damn democrats
yamabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 04:56 PM   #17
daveman
Merely a Man
 
daveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 341
Just did an online GEICO Cycle Gard quote. It's $161.90 for 12 months of coverage. I specified that I will not ride to work, have 15 years' motorcycle ownership/experience, taken ERC, and will ride less than 3K miles per year. I am highly suspicious of such a lowball quote, however.

Here is the coverage I specified:
Body Injury Liability (25/50K)
Property Damage Liability (20K)
UMBI (25/50K)
UMPD (20K)

If I remove the optional UM coverage, my rate drops to only $104 per year. Is this crazy?

Oh, I also selected a 2003 "FZS10." FZS1000 was not on the Yamaha drop-down list of motorcycles.

I also got an online quote from Progressive, my current insurer. That quote was $1800.

I thought all these insurers used the same crash data and actuary tables. I read somewhere recently that there have been a disproportionate number of accidents with FZ1's, and that the insurers have responded accordingly. I hope today's GEICO quote uses the latest data.
daveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 06:22 AM   #18
bqe
Registered FZ1 Muser
 
bqe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 648
Dairyland insurance rules!! 1/8 of what progressive quoted
bqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 08:19 AM   #19
ol'bikefreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wentzville, Mo.
Posts: 20
I spent some quality time on the phone yesterday comparing quotes from GMAC, Geico, and Bikeline with my current Progressive coverage. I run minimal liability coverage (25/50k bodily injury,10k property damage,25/50k uninsured motorist) on five motorcycles (94 CB1000f, 97 Bandit 1200, 98 VTR1000f, 99 ZRX1100, and an 02 FZ-1.) I'm 57 with no tickets or claims in recent history. Long story short. Bikeline-$623.00 yearly. Progressive-$380.00. Geico-$338.00. And GMAC-$256.00. So with my age, claims record, zip code, multi bike discount,etc. GMAC gets my business- this year.
ol'bikefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 09:36 AM   #20
hopalong
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: watauga,tn
Posts: 3
just got off phone w/dairyland, $356 w/o uninsured motorist, another $210 with, progressive wants $1800 & i'm current customer with no claims/tikets/etc., was having 2nd thought on buying the bike! now i'm planning on polishing my trade-in & getting dealer's offer with all the accessories & w/o. most likely w/o & selling tons of parts on vstar forums.

hopalong
hopalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Purchasing, Insurance, & Warranty


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:56 AM.


Questions? Comments?
Click on name below to contact via PM
Rabeet (Admin) Desmo (Admin)

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website and Message Board Contents Copyright 2001-2007 FZ1OA
The marks YAMAHA® and FZ1® are used under license from Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A.
The information on this web site is NOT approved or endorsed by Yamaha Motor Corporation in any way.
Page generated in 0.14124 seconds with 9 queries