click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance

Old 08-01-2019, 07:35 AM   #1
fuzzy1

Hanging idle

A few years ago I posted a problem with a carburetor issue on my O2. I had apparently two issues. One was a hanging idle and the other was fuel leaking from a carb. It was becoming harder to start and taking longer to warm up. I had tried to solve the issue with seafoam but it never worked. I bumped the carburetor bowl’s with the end of a screwdriver to loosen up a potentially stuck float. That did not work either.

Eventually I simply removed the float bowl drain screw and gently sent compressed air into the bowl to hopefully unstick a float. It worked and made a big improvement with starting and warming up.

The hanging idle did not go away, however it noticeably improved. I realize a hanging idle may be a sign of an air leak or very lean pilot circuit fuelling. So To check for potential air leak I sprayed WD-40 around the carb boots at the head while the bike was idling. In one case the idle slightly increased but I could never get it to repeat.

One thing has definitely got me confused. When the idle is set at 1000 to 1100 rpm’s the hanging throttle is worse then when I idle the bike down to approximately 800 RPMs. And if I lower the idle down to five or 600 rpm’s the hanging idle situation improves again. I have no idea as to why.

Now the same situation has returned.

So here is my question.

When I pull these carburetors off what should I focus on as the potential problem(s)? And when I remove the boots do I need to do anything other than replace the gasket?

Thanks for your time,

Spencer
fuzzy1
fuzzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:10 PM   #2
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

Maybe try to see if an unlit propane torch can find an air leak.
'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:45 AM   #3
fuzzy1

Longboardr

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve never thought of trying that. I’ll swing by Home Depot and pick up a butane charcoal lighter. The type that has about a five or 6 inch nozzle on it and try it.

But it will be Sunday evening before I can. This weekend my wife insists that we go away for our 40th anniversary. And for some reason she doesn’t want to go on the FZ. ��
Old 08-02-2019, 07:03 AM   #4
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

He was probably suggesting something like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flame-Ki...-001/307958743

These can be screwed on butane cylinders for soldering, and standard 1lb propane bottles, which would be ideal.

I would worry about the lighter putting out enough gas to find a crack, the torch head would be a sure bet, if it’s there, you’ll find it.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:29 AM   #5
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

Yep, I was thinking what MichaelFZ1 posted. I meant to buy one for myself yesterday and forgot.
'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:43 PM   #6
fuzzy1

I really don't feel like pulling the carbs and life has been way too busy. So because of that I still have the hanging idle problem. I have tried to correct it with sea foam, carb cleaner spray, and other things but obviously none work.

So the weekend of 1/24 I plan on pulling them and begin cleaning. The last was I pulled them off was installing Ivan's kit...18 years ago.

This much I know. When the idle is set at 1000 to 1100 rpm’s the hanging throttle is worse and if I lower the idle down to five or 600 rpm’s the hanging idle situation improves. Noticeably improves. Idle jet maybe?

I wonder if the one of the slides is not dropping down as quickly as it should. I have no idea but it is a thought.

So if there any suggestions on something in particular I should focus on while cleaning the carbs that might be specially related to my wonderful situation I would appreciate it?

One more thought. I am going to replace the float needle O ring and the bowl O ring. Any other O ring I should replace while I am there?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by fuzzy1; 01-16-2020 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:48 PM   #7
Pat Glenn
Everything's Just Ducky

Two possibilities for hanging idle:

Unsynchronized carbs. Do a carb sync to see if this fixes the problem.

Excess tension in the idle adjustment cable. Set the idle, turn the knob a bit further then back it off to release the tension.

Pat
Pat Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:24 PM   #8
fuzzy1

Pat,

Thanks for your response. I will check the idle spring tension tomorrow. I don’t have gauges to do a carb sync. I’ll have to either order them or take it to the local dealer.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:53 PM   #9
sloowpoke

you could make your own sync gauge. you don't need to measure the vacuums, just balance them... some aquarium air line, 1x2 plank, colored water or ATF. it's quick & easy to make one. lots of sites on the net giving detailed instructions.
sloowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:04 PM   #10
arkie6

Here is a thread discussing the homemade sync tool:

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54378
arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 03:27 PM   #11
sloowpoke

Yeah, I figured there probably was a good thread on this site, but I haven't been able to get a search engine to cooperate with me since AltaVista was king of the heap :-)
sloowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance