register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion

Old 09-29-2017, 10:33 AM   #61
stomp347

Woooooof, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, woooooooof
stomp347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:38 AM   #62
morgstang
"King of Clean"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stomp347 View Post
Woooooof, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, woooooooof
Lol...
morgstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:37 AM   #63
theunderfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
Guy I bought my forks off of had his frame crack the other month. He owned the bike for years and had over 30k on it if I remember correctly. It still happens. It's a gamble I'm not sure why people take.
Is that so? Huh, I guess an 06/07 wouldn't be worth the risk then. Did he get any help from Yamaha on the frame?

There's so many well taken care of and modded bikes that come up on here, I can't imagine wanting to get robbed on one from the dealer!
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:55 AM   #64
fermic37

The crack caused him to dump it when it happened. He took the money and bought a mt10 last I heard.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:44 PM   #65
CrazyBiker
Smooottthhh....

I am in the same boat now that I have got both the RR and R. But its so hard to sell the FZ1. Its perfectly sorted performance and aesthetics wise. Did everything I asked for except a trackday. Did a ton of multiday tours.

But I always longed for a lighter feeling bike with same power and comfort with more edgy hooligan manners and with modern amneties like TCS, ABS, CC, ESA.

The S1000R fits all the criteria and I was faster on it on the 1st twisty ride itself than I ever was on the FZ1.

Still its so hard to sell the FZ1 on an emotional front! Once you keep a bike for too long and make it your own, it becomes THE WIFE. And divorces are TOUGH!
Elka Stg4 Shock|R1 Forks,MC|HEL Lines|3-way Levers|Giles Rearsets|Ivan ECU Flash|Micron Full System|Lars|BMC|Roth Stacks,AIE|Flies|PC5|SHv4|CF/CNC bits|T-Rex|Spencer Seat|Oxford Heated Grips|HIDs|Proton LEDs

2012 S1000RR Premium Motorsport
Brock Full Exhaust|GPR Damper|Sato Rearsets|Sargent Seat|GBR/Woodcraft protectors

2014 S1000R Premium White
Akra GP,Rizoma mirrors,Ermax Bellypan,Tecbike CAT,V-stream,Wunderlich Seat,360° LED signals,R&G+Puig Protection
CrazyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:42 PM   #66
WileECoyote
Meathead Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Dominance View Post
You're all crazy.

There is no machine that can match the all around performance/utility/reliability for anywhere close to the money.

A decked out Gen2 will still smoke a ninja1k, maybe not the new gixxus POS for BusaTown- BUT it will cost 1/2 the price or less.

A proper gen 2 can slab it all day, run expert level track days, get groceries, SMASH THROUGH A DEER AT 80+MPH, and everything in between.

There might be bikes that are more fun or better in a niche, but IMO there's still nothing else that fulfills the role of true supersport-that-does-everything. I'm going to ride mine till the wheels fall off (then put on my spares), the stator blows (will replace it), and the frame cracks. LOL.

If you dont need/wont use true supersport performance, if you need to go offroad alot, or youre too old to hold up the weight of the bike, I get it. But everyone else is just missing out.
Well said. Incredible to me that most squids buy a new GSXRR1RRZX and NEVER are able to ride its limits. Then, look down on a bike like the FZ saying it could never keep up with my GSXRR1RRZX. Ran up on a guy riding a brand new R6. Yes, the new one. He had no business being on it, that was obvious. He slowed and stopped at a local waterfall, so I pulled in behind him. We chatted a little about his bike. Then he looks over at mine and said, "No wonder you couldnt keep up." I laughed and said, I stayed behind so I didnt run you over when you teetered through the corners. He had to be local as he had same county tags as mine. Started putting on my helmet and said, Blow you into the weeds later............... I hope to catch him again. Hesitant to prove my point though as he'll go into a corner too hot and crash riding above his skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgstang View Post
How can i possibly sell this work of art?

I GOT FIRST DIBS...........Team ACME and all...........
Co rider and mechanic, No current wins, cant seem to get around them anvils........sometimes tunnels arent really open......falls from cliffs usually slow me down..........WTF, where'd that piano come from?
Currently: Aprilia Tuono, 09 FZ1, 06 FZ1, 89 FZR1000, '02 XR650L THE TRACTOR
My long lost love.......1987 FZ700
WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:47 PM   #67
morgstang
"King of Clean"

I GOT FIRST DIBS...........Team ACME and all...........[/quote]

I changed my mind....first $10K gets it...dib quickly...hehe
Old 09-29-2017, 06:46 PM   #68
WileECoyote
Meathead Extraordinaire

Quote:
I changed my mind....first $10K gets it...dib quickly...hehe[/quote]

Thats low, taking advantage of a team member. .............. remove your ACME sticker forthwith. ....................
Co rider and mechanic, No current wins, cant seem to get around them anvils........sometimes tunnels arent really open......falls from cliffs usually slow me down..........WTF, where'd that piano come from?
Old 09-29-2017, 10:14 PM   #69
morgstang
"King of Clean"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
I changed my mind....first $10K gets it...dib quickly...hehe

Thats low, taking advantage of a team member. .............. remove your ACME sticker forthwith. ....................[/quote]

Acme sticker not included at that price...please add additional $3,457.52

And for an additional 2,732.85 you will recieve a brand new still in the box retro kit with your order which makes this a steal at $16,290.37 plus shipping and state taxes where applicable...

BUT WAIT theres more...if you buy today you will also recieve my secret stash of FZ1 parts which include more retro goodies and other surprises...total value of the prize package in excess of well i dont know but can be yours for $3,601.98 with free shipping...phone lines are open now...dont delay call today!!!

Last edited by morgstang; 09-29-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:33 PM   #70
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Quote:
Well said. Incredible to me that most squids buy a new GSXRR1RRZX and NEVER are able to ride its limits. Then, look down on a bike like the FZ saying it could never keep up with my GSXRR1RRZX. Ran up on a guy riding a brand new R6. Yes, the new one. He had no business being on it, that was obvious. He slowed and stopped at a local waterfall, so I pulled in behind him. We chatted a little about his bike. Then he looks over at mine and said, "No wonder you couldnt keep up." I laughed and said, I stayed behind so I didnt run you over when you teetered through the corners. He had to be local as he had same county tags as mine. Started putting on my helmet and said, Blow you into the weeds later............... I hope to catch him again. Hesitant to prove my point though as he'll go into a corner too hot and crash riding above his skill.
Cocky little bastard isn't he?! Pretty sure the Gen 2 will keep up with him at any speed. Classic noob. I bet he thinks the 2017 R6 has a more powerful engine than the previous generation too! Ha!
Old 10-02-2017, 05:41 PM   #71
WileyLogHomes
Need a Log Home?

Ive had multiple full blown sport bikes, like 6 different R1's, cbr 929s, gsxrs, etc etc. I got onto my Gen 1 because I was riding 3rd gear 100+mph wheelies like the squid I was. I needed something slower and more comfortable or I was going to lose my license. Really liked the Gen 1, but it was a bit flexy for my tastes. Picked up a Gen 2 and have about modded it about as far as you can take it. I'm at the point in my life that I think I've ridden 3 times total this year, and it was dumb around town trips. Every time I ride it though I can't think of a bike that would do everything I want it to do better. As has been stated before, even with all the mods I have done I still couldn't get much for it, so it'll probably sit in the corner of the garage and taunt me that I'm to busy to ride it like I want to.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:59 PM   #72
WileECoyote
Meathead Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
Cocky little bastard isn't he?! Pretty sure the Gen 2 will keep up with him at any speed. Classic noob. I bet he thinks the 2017 R6 has a more powerful engine than the previous generation too! Ha!
Its a fairly well known run. My hope is to catch him again and pass him in a corner. I know it well and have smoked several in it. I still have hesitation though as he is such an asshat, he may try and counter. After that particular corner, there are no possible passes for a mile. Afraid he'll try in one of those and crash out.
I really dont need that, neither does he. Maybe a straight line challenge is more in order. Either way, he needs schooled................
Old 10-02-2017, 11:09 PM   #73
ZX-Dominance

Quote:

Hahaha awesome. My favorite moment was in Colorado, had three 600's (gsxr x 2 and "a r6") blow by me and my uncle on a long long straight (3+ miles) leading right up into some mountains. I tapped the sena and dwight cut me off and said "do it, I'll see you at the next gas station." I tailed them at 110-120 until we got to a big uphill right. They smashed their brakes, and went way inside early. They then watched the fz in full bags pass the whole group in the turn, with one of those magic visor-to-visor stares. 15-20minutes later I had enough time to get my gas cap up and type in my pin when they rolled up. "Bro, what is that?"

"That, is a Yamaha Fazer 1000GT"

Dwight was along shortly on the S1kXR, and the bros kindly let us lead as we all left the station.

With the FZ, I've battled sport bikes on lime creek, packed a week's supply and taken off, and diced everyday traffic and curvy roads as a daily driver and rarely, if ever, have been wanting.

We've actually got 5 or 6 in the local Tami club here. In fact there's likely 15 FZ's total. Including 4 fz6's and a handful of 7's and 9's.

Homerun machines, all of em. Except the 6r and 8.. we don't talk about those
RIP "Envy" - 11/14/15. Envy 2 - '08 Graphite : Full Fairing * Yosh R77 * Flashed * PC * Ign mod * LARS * BMC * Vortex 49T * R6 Thrttle * GPR V4 * RT 1.0's * 08 R1 Shock + 600lb * TechSpecs * Carbon ll over * CL XBK5 * DblBubble * Full Givi/Kappas * ASV C5 * Nautilus 140dB * HIDs 6k * Corbin CF x 2 * Thrttlemstr Cruise * Garmin Nuvi * Gold Rad Guard* Block Offs * Spdhlr * 780 grips * Givi Slim Fender * Clear Alt TL
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:42 AM   #74
Wonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Back in '13 when this was posted, I said I would never sell mine. Now I am thinking about it. Toying with the idea of a leftover new '14 V-Strom 1000, which would be somewhat ironic, as I had a TL1000 before I bought the FZ1. The ADV think looks interesting, and living in CO, there are a lot of graded dirt roads to check out. I plan to contact the dealer in January, dead of winter, and make an offer that will irritate him

Selling the FZ1 will suck for me though. It would be more about clearing space in my garage. I do have a friend in CA who has wanted it for years though - he has told me many times to ping him if I sell it. He knows how clean and well set up my bikes are
The new '18 updated IMU version is very intriguing...
Old 10-03-2017, 06:51 AM   #75
Wonger

You are hard-pressed to find a better all-arounder than the GenII FZ1 for my tastes. I debated getting another one as '15's can be had for a song. That said, I got a screaming deal on a new FZ10 that I'll be picking up this week...
I only wish Ivan would tune this engine. I picked it over the S1000R based on sound and price alone, although price is debatable based on how I'll mod this one vs. the S1000R.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:16 AM   #76
barryc

Quote:
Thats low, taking advantage of a team member. .............. remove your ACME sticker forthwith. ....................
Acme sticker not included at that price...please add additional $3,457.52

And for an additional 2,732.85 you will recieve a brand new still in the box retro kit with your order which makes this a steal at $16,290.37 plus shipping and state taxes where applicable...

BUT WAIT theres more...if you buy today you will also recieve my secret stash of FZ1 parts which include more retro goodies and other surprises...total value of the prize package in excess of well i dont know but can be yours for $3,601.98 with free shipping...phone lines are open now...dont delay call today!!![/quote]

Sadly, this is more in line with what you might actually get for your beautiful bike..
Old 10-03-2017, 10:50 AM   #77
WileECoyote
Meathead Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonger View Post
The new '18 updated IMU version is very intriguing...
Sorry but, that thing is ugly. I like the concept but, why does it have that ugly beak-nose thingy? Reminds me of the Ducati.........................

It does have a low seat height for the shorter type of folk. As a plus, its got THAT motor. I had a TL1000S and loved it.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:24 PM   #78
Dicko
Way more sport than tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonger View Post
You are hard-pressed to find a better all-arounder than the GenII FZ1 for my tastes. I debated getting another one as '15's can be had for a song. That said, I got a screaming deal on a new FZ10 that I'll be picking up this week...
I only wish Ivan would tune this engine. I picked it over the S1000R based on sound and price alone, although price is debatable based on how I'll mod this one vs. the S1000R.
It's a shame you guys don't get the MT10SP. The SP has all ohlins already and better (also more) maps to choose from among other goodies. the only thing the SP needs is better tyres, a tail tidy and the Acropovic bolted on.
Brembo 16mm Radial MC, ASV short Levers, Brembo GP4-RX calipers, Hell braided lines, R1 Fender, Ohlins FGRT 206 forks, Ohlins shock (tuned - Racebike Services), Marchesini rims, Vortex 48t sprocket, Arrow Headers - Micron GP slipon, tailtidy, Rizoma (risers, conical bars, Lux grips, bar ends, 744 mirrors, fluid reservoir, Rev rearsets/B Pro pegs), Speedo healer, BMC filter, AIS Block off, PCV (tuned - Neville Lush Racing), Pirelli DR III, Ivan's ECU, GF-Design LED Blinkers, DID gold chain
Dicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:48 AM   #79
Gamecock
Retro Goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
It's a shame you guys don't get the MT10SP. The SP has all ohlins already and better (also more) maps to choose from among other goodies. the only thing the SP needs is better tyres, a tail tidy and the Acropovic bolted on.
Yup, one of the few bikes I'd consider getting rid of mine for.

To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,...... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive.
Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:56 AM   #80
WileECoyote
Meathead Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock View Post
Yup, one of the few bikes I'd consider getting rid of mine for.
Plus one.............. would be worth the extra money for that suspension.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion