register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Classifieds ( For Sale By Members ) > Classifieds ( FZ1 Related )

Old 09-23-2017, 08:10 PM   #41
WileECoyote
Meathead Extraordinaire

Glad it sold, sorry I couldnt help. Bad timing neighbor.
Co rider and mechanic, No current wins, cant seem to get around them anvils........sometimes tunnels arent really open......falls from cliffs usually slow me down..........WTF, where'd that piano come from?
Currently: Aprilia Tuono, 09 FZ1, 06 FZ1, 89 FZR1000, '02 XR650L THE TRACTOR
My long lost love.......1987 FZ700
WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:27 AM   #42
TheRepairMan
2006 to 2017 & SOLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
Glad it sold, sorry I couldnt help. Bad timing neighbor.
Hey, I understand. My real disappointment award goes to a former member here and former "friend" of mine of which I let joy ride my bike, and he shook my hand on the price, then he backed out of the deal in a PM, and wouldn't even give me a reason, not at all. Nothing. I just didn't understand that. Sometimes people just suck.

-R

Dielectric grease information, IMPORTANT! http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...3&postcount=42

Ignition coil information, FYI. http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...0&postcount=26
TheRepairMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:29 AM   #43
TheRepairMan
2006 to 2017 & SOLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Congrats on the sale!

My FZ1 is the worst "investment" ever. So back at the end of May 2006, Mastercard had it's IPO. In an uncharacteristic move, I went all in and bought 200 shares at $45 a share in Mastercard stock the 1st day it hit the general market. The extent of my due dilligence was "It's Mastercard". By November '06 the stock had more than doubled, from $45 to almost $100. Dumb ass move on my part, I went to the local Yamaha dealer, bought my '06 for 7.9K OTD, an Akra pipe and a PCIII, put it all on my Mastercard, sold the stock, paid it off with the stock profits, had a "free" FZ1, and was quite pleased with myself.

Now, in hindsight, that was a very bad move. If I owned those shares today, I calculate their value at 282K. The chart is adjusted for splits. My original 200 shares would be over 2,000 shares today, at $141 per. So there. Don't feel bad about the investment value of your FZ1. I have you beat, big time

Moral of my sad tale - don't sell due to the amount of profits, only sell if the story has changed...
Holy cow! Yeah, you win. Although a free bike gave you lots of pleasure for a while, I'm sure. You know, it just doesn't matter as long as we enjoyed what we were doing, and I sure loved mine, but I also never stopped wanting for something more. Even prior to getting my FZ in 06 I was longing for an FJR1300 so badly that I could taste it. That feeling has never completely left me, but as I get older I realize it wouldn't have been ridden enough to justify ownership either, and probably would have just meant losing even more money. Yeah, it would have been nice for a while, and who knows.

My wife told me yesterday, it's okay, we enjoyed the bike a long time, have a lot of good memories and pictures, and should count our blessings nothing bad ever happened. So, getting something back out of the bike after ten years was better than nothing. Now I can go get that new pair of lazyboy recliners and big screen tv, plus pay off some lingering bills around the place. My family will at least have a more enjoyable Christmas this year than last.

-R

Dielectric grease information, IMPORTANT! http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...3&postcount=42

Ignition coil information, FYI. http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...0&postcount=26
Old 09-24-2017, 05:32 AM   #44
fermic37

Holy cow, how you you reckon you lost 8k?
fermic37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:17 AM   #45
TheRepairMan
2006 to 2017 & SOLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
Holy cow, how you you reckon you lost 8k?
Didn't actually "lose" it. But, that's how much I lacked to recoup my overall ownership costs. Just doing the math, that's what owning the FZ1 cost me, not counting fuel and insurance over the ten years time I had the bike. The bikes just don't hold their resale value well at all. I took a big hit versus money invested.

I initially paid the Yamaha Dealer too much for the bike, had it special ordered, Yamaha financed, plus that YES extended warranty coverage, and right away started throwing mod money at it hand over fist. I've still got a pile of brand new stuff in the building that never even got installed. Not much demand for FZ1 stuff anymore, but hopefully I'll sell some of it. Yeah, I'd say I pretty much spent about $8,000 that I'll never see again. Like I said, that's the price you pay to play.

-R

Old 09-24-2017, 06:26 AM   #46
fermic37

What kinda goodies do ya have in your shed?
fermic37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:06 PM   #47
OldBiker

A bike/car or anything you buy with the exception of property will be a depreciating asset and not an investment. People confuse investment with the purchase price.

I was at my dealer having my 2012 serviced and out of curiousity asked what my trade in was. It turned out to be 66% of what I paid. Not too shabby for a five year old bike with 26,000 miles on it.

Now if it only would turn into a collector's item then it could be an investment.
OldBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:41 PM   #48
TheRepairMan
2006 to 2017 & SOLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBiker View Post
A bike/car or anything you buy with the exception of property will be a depreciating asset and not an investment. People confuse investment with the purchase price.

I was at my dealer having my 2012 serviced and out of curiousity asked what my trade in was. It turned out to be 66% of what I paid. Not too shabby for a five year old bike with 26,000 miles on it.

Now if it only would turn into a collector's item then it could be an investment.
Not confused. I'm pretty sure no one here buys these bikes to ride thinking some day they will sell it for a profit. I'm using the term investment very loosely, but I think it makes my point easier to understand.

-R

Last edited by TheRepairMan; 09-24-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:24 PM   #49
CrazyBiker
Smooottthhh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFM674 View Post
What's the worst mileage you get? WFO throttle on your favorite back roads. I couldn't get 40 mpg going down hill in neutral.
Clearly less... 30-34 mpg on mines type of roads
Elka Stg4 Shock|R1 Forks,MC|HEL Lines|3-way Levers|Giles Rearsets|Ivan ECU Flash|Micron Full System|Lars|BMC|Roth Stacks,AIE|Flies|PC5|SHv4|CF/CNC bits|T-Rex|Spencer Seat|Oxford Heated Grips|HIDs|Proton LEDs

2012 S1000RR Premium Motorsport
Brock Full Exhaust|GPR Damper|Sato Rearsets|Sargent Seat|GBR/Woodcraft protectors

2014 S1000R Premium White
Akra GP,Rizoma mirrors,Ermax Bellypan,Tecbike CAT,V-stream,Wunderlich Seat,360° LED signals,R&G+Puig Protection
CrazyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:36 PM   #50
Dicko
Way more sport than tourer

Congratulations on the sale.

I have spent an absolute fortune on my bike (close tot he purchase price in mods - see my sig for some of the mods done) but I don't look at my bike as an investment in monetary value. I look at is an investment in my quality of life. I enjoy riding it (riding the bike to work is a much better day than driving the car to work). I don't plan on selling it, but if I do, I won't be worried about a loss in investment, I will be upset in losing a part of my life I enjoyed.
Brembo 16mm Radial MC, ASV short Levers, Brembo GP4-RX calipers, Hell braided lines, R1 Fender, Ohlins FGRT 206 forks, Ohlins shock (tuned - Racebike Services), Marchesini rims, Vortex 48t sprocket, Arrow Headers - Micron GP slipon, tailtidy, Rizoma (risers, conical bars, Lux grips, bar ends, 744 mirrors, fluid reservoir, Rev rearsets/B Pro pegs), Speedo healer, BMC filter, AIS Block off, PCV (tuned - Neville Lush Racing), Pirelli DR III, Ivan's ECU, GF-Design LED Blinkers, DID gold chain
Dicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:18 PM   #51
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRepairMan View Post
Didn't actually "lose" it. But, that's how much I lacked to recoup my overall ownership costs. Just doing the math, that's what owning the FZ1 cost me, not counting fuel and insurance over the ten years time I had the bike. The bikes just don't hold their resale value well at all. I took a big hit versus money invested.

I initially paid the Yamaha Dealer too much for the bike, had it special ordered, Yamaha financed, plus that YES extended warranty coverage, and right away started throwing mod money at it hand over fist. I've still got a pile of brand new stuff in the building that never even got installed. Not much demand for FZ1 stuff anymore, but hopefully I'll sell some of it. Yeah, I'd say I pretty much spent about $8,000 that I'll never see again. Like I said, that's the price you pay to play.

-R
I'm sorry to hear that Roger but that's the reality of owning this great bike that does not have a great reputation. Undeserved, but that is the reality.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Classifieds ( For Sale By Members ) > Classifieds ( FZ1 Related )