click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 02-14-2020, 08:05 PM   #41
Fitty
Picture added for humor only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon 269 View Post
I spent many days working out of his little lock-up garage in Bristol, a swarf-strewn, oily rag filled place, with old carpets on the floor and boxes of bits on every surface. Those bits included all the genius ideas he had for improving or just blinging up the mighty Thou.
"swarf-strewn" I love this description!

Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 01:25 AM   #42
Falcon 269
Just passing through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitty View Post
"swarf-strewn" I love this description!
Fitty, you should have seen it. It was like a bomb had gone off in there! Incredible that such a messy workplace should be the birthplace of such beautifully finished bikes.

I'll never forget some of Luke's paint schemes, like his early pale blue 'Indian Chief Headress' FZ1 or the red/black/silver chequered version that looked like he'd ridden the bike straight through a clothes line with 80's period bedding covers hanging on it. However, his red pearl/silver flake FZ1 Gen 1 with the VFR swingarm was just pure class. It took a few years for his colour palette to mature, you might say.

The ideas he came up with were never-ending. To quote Butch Cassidy:

"I have vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals."

What a guy.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:32 AM   #43
Fitty
Picture added for humor only

I remember seeing pictures of all those bikes. Thanks again!

Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:52 AM   #44
G_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon 269 View Post
I first met Luke back in 2003 when he brought his Fazer Thou to me to have Ivan's slip-on kit fitted. His was probably the third or fourth installation I did. Back then he was a big guy, if you get my drift. Suffice to say that the stock rear shock wasn't up to Luke's specifications.

He lived just the other side of town from me and the next time I saw him, he'd installed a nitrous kit on the bike and had it over-bored to 1060cc. Figure 170bhp at the rear wheel when he hit the gas button. Still on stock suspension. Fair to say that Luke wasn't too fussed about dragging pegs but liked straightline 'go'.

We saw each other on and off numerous times in the following years, even though I'd moved to Spain in 2004. Every Gen 1 he bought - and there were many - he got me to 'Ivanize' for him, even though his spannering skills were superior to mine. I spent many days working out of his little lock-up garage in Bristol, a swarf-strewn, oily rag filled place, with old carpets on the floor and boxes of bits on every surface. Those bits included all the genius ideas he had for improving or just blinging up the mighty Thou.

Dogged with health issues for all the time I knew him, I never once heard him complain. He just took what life threw at him and looked to make it better, for himself and for his family. His love for Sue and his kids was clear to see, as strong as his love for life.

There was no such thing as 'can't be done' in Luke's mindset. Got a health problem? Deal with it. Want a holiday in the USA? Make it happen. Feel like fitting a single-side swingarm to Fazer Thou? Get 'er done! We've all seen the amazing things he did with his bikes, and not just the Fazers. He just loved taking something and making it better. Better looking, better performing, better to own. He was proud of his creations but very modest about his achievements.

His local motorcycle main dealership almost banned him from their sales floor because he was forever there measuring up suspension units and trying to figure out which shock or whatever could be grafted on to his latest project. The R6 shock mod which hundreds of us now enjoy came about from Luke scrabbling around underneath pretty much every mark of sportsbike that Fowlers had in stock.

I could go on recalling the feats of this great guy and those who were lucky enough to know him will have similar stories to tell. Our lives are richer for having known him. There's a permanent parking place in my memory for Luke and his machines.

Speed on the straights, mate, easy on the curves. Smooth tarmac and warm rides from here on in.

Mike
I did not know Luke or any of his antics that you described in a very detailed way thanks for that.

I often wondered who was the one who thought of the R6 shock mod that I have done to both of my FZ 1's.

He sounds like a really cool guy full of life who never complained reminds me a lot of my best friend who I recently lost Don...

My condolences go to Luke's family and friends...
The Good die Young....

Steve McQueen--On Any Sunday
G_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:51 PM   #45
Damascus

Another bummer. Too sad and too soon.
Past: 1981 Kawasaki 440 LTD, 2000 Yamaha VStar 1100, 1999 Honda Valkyrie GL1500C, 2002 Honda VFR800 Interceptor, 2002 Yamaha FZ1, 2000 H-D Sportster XL1200, 2006 Suzuki GSXR 1000, 2008 Yamaha FJR1300, 2010 H-D Road King 103, 2011 Triumph Speed Triple 1050.
Present: 2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring
Damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:19 PM   #46
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Well carp, just read this. Sad to hear, and am grateful to have met Luke at the '13 rally. Excellent conversation and no doubt, the things he could do with bikes and such. I have one of the Yama logo sprocket covers he made. Good stuff.

RIP Luke!
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:41 PM   #47
CrazyBiker
Smooottthhh....

The Good ones go away too soon. RIP. And so many of them to cancer over the years ... Fvck Cancer!

He is on my FB and saw a recent post celebrating his 60th B'Day from the hospital with all of his family. Breaks my heart!
Past 06 FZ6, 07 FZ1, 06 Daytona, 12 S1000RR, 14 S1000R
CrazyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:48 PM   #48
fz1azul
Post Whore in Training

Very sorry to read this news. Rest in Peace, Luke.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:04 AM   #49
Keytickler
Causative Factor

Sad news indeed. I was at rallies with him. Too young.

Keytickler
Old 02-17-2020, 05:14 PM   #50
1slimfizz
Ignoranamus

So sorry to read this. I think of him every time I see the custom frame plugs on my bike. RIP Devilsyam.

nekkid 2005 FZ1 - re-jetted by RavenRider - airbox mod - AIS removed - Holeshot 3 degree timing advancer - shortened GYTR CF slip-on - Traxxion AK20's and 1.0 springs - Hyperco shock by Traxxion - Corbin - CRG lane splitters - GSG sliders - R1 shift arm - Devilsyam frame plugs - Spiegler front braided brake lines - GYTR low mount - LSL Urban headlight - Pazzo levers
1slimfizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:01 PM   #51
glory racing

Always tough to lose one of our fellow riders. RIP.
glory racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 03:46 PM   #52
pseudosquid
Ooga Booga

Godspeed Luke.
I never met him, did enjoy talking with him here and bought a load of his
quality machined bling for the old war horse (FZ1). Thought I'd pay him and
the FZ1OA a visit, though I only ride bicycles now for old guy health reasons.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion