read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear

Old 06-14-2019, 06:20 AM   #1
K-FZ1-02

GIVI Monokey Cases and speed

I have 3 Givi Monokey cases. 2 are E360 and the top larger. Can anyone with experience give me an idea how fast I can safely take these? They are guaranteed up to 75 mph I think but previous I have had them up to 90-100mph. What is safe? Any help is appreciated.
K-FZ1-02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:19 AM   #2
Wonger

Those limits just as the very light weight limits are for the extremes that can occur at each speed. Hit a pothole at the same time as a wind gust and a blast from a passing semi and the 75mph can instantly turn into a 4g impact and 100+ windblast.
Smooth air probably well into triple digits. I've had v46 and v47 top case at 120 plenty of times. Acceleration can be sketchy when it's loaded though. That's a lot of weight way back there and can make the front wheel light. Limit the rear rack to under 15 lbs total if possible.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:20 AM   #3
_Will_

Asking the important questions
_Will_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:50 AM   #4
grommet
kinetic mentality

Be aware that with loaded bags, when decelerating through around 50mph, you may get some head-shake. So if you do like I sometimes do, take your hands off the bars and lean back (making it worse) while letting the bike drop speed, you might get a surprise. Just takes a touch on the bars to calm it down, but if left unattended it could get nasty.

I had R1 forks on my bike, which were shorter than normal, thus the steering head angle was steeper. I'm sure this affected the above problem substantially. So you might never have it with stock forks, but be aware.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:00 AM   #5
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Infinity and beyond. Folks following me reported more issues than me. "Dude you give off turbulence"
Old 06-14-2019, 09:17 AM   #6
bmidd
Yet Another Gen1

Send them to me and I'll do a 12 month study.
bmidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:25 AM   #7
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Mine? "much faster"
Yours, when negotiating with their legal team? 75 mph.

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:54 AM   #8
K-FZ1-02

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmidd View Post
Send them to me and I'll do a 12 month study.
You can get them from Germany for half the price . Shipping takes a month. I just replaced the ones that disappeared.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:02 AM   #9
K-FZ1-02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonger View Post
Those limits just as the very light weight limits are for the extremes that can occur at each speed. Hit a pothole at the same time as a wind gust and a blast from a passing semi and the 75mph can instantly turn into a 4g impact and 100+ windblast.
Smooth air probably well into triple digits. I've had v46 and v47 top case at 120 plenty of times. Acceleration can be sketchy when it's loaded though. That's a lot of weight way back there and can make the front wheel light. Limit the rear rack to under 15 lbs total if possible.
Very good advice. I know what you mean about the unexpected. I have been quite a few miles and never worried till I saw the guarantee. They do have a bit of an indestructable nature to them
Old 06-14-2019, 10:52 AM   #10
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

What brand mounting racks do you have? Givi and SW Motech position things a little differently.

My large 360 side cases, or smaller E21 sides, and both the 460 and 520 top case have all seen +140mph, when fully loaded. SW Motech racks. Closed course. Unprofessional rider.

Even when significantly overloaded, I have never experienced headshake at any speed between 0 and 140, and my forks are up about 12mm in the triples. Although, wheelies are too easy when loaded and with a passenger. Careful with the wrist.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #11
jared p
^ guy

Well, my Givi E21 small side cases stay on at the track just fine without issue, and half the time they are still full of stuff I'm too lazy to remove.
jared p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:54 PM   #12
K-FZ1-02

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
What brand mounting racks do you have? Givi and SW Motech position things a little differently.

My large 360 side cases, or smaller E21 sides, and both the 460 and 520 top case have all seen +140mph, when fully loaded. SW Motech racks. Closed course. Unprofessional rider.

Even when significantly overloaded, I have never experienced headshake at any speed between 0 and 140, and my forks are up about 12mm in the triples. Although, wheelies are too easy when loaded and with a passenger. Careful with the wrist.
I feel reassured. I presume the racks are GIVI but there is a motech mount on the tank. Solid racks. Eeverything fits great. Thanks for the helpful advice.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:56 AM   #13
didier9

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
Be aware that with loaded bags, when decelerating through around 50mph, you may get some head-shake. So if you do like I sometimes do, take your hands off the bars and lean back (making it worse) while letting the bike drop speed, you might get a surprise. Just takes a touch on the bars to calm it down, but if left unattended it could get nasty.

I had R1 forks on my bike, which were shorter than normal, thus the steering head angle was steeper. I'm sure this affected the above problem substantially. So you might never have it with stock forks, but be aware.
Probably a good reason to add a steering damper if you do not already have one. I had head shake once, did not take long to find out I did not like the feeling.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:57 AM   #14
rdcusmc

For a stock bike, you really don't have much to worry about with head shake with bags installed. The FZ in stock form needs more weight on the front end and the rear needs to be firmer. I highly recommend the Raven suspension mod for $25. Install different length dog bones and the effective rate of the rear spring goes up by 20% - major improvement. Move the front forks up the triple by 10mm and you get improvement in front contact, removing head shake concerns.

I've been running full set of bags for many years with no problems. I purchased a bone stock FZ in Germany a few years ago when I was on orders, installed luggage and hit the Alps. The bike was too light in the front and soggy in the rear. I applied the Raven mod and the bike was perfect tackling those challenging roads (including the Autobahn).

I don't see a need for steering damper as described.

Best,
Ron

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod.
rdcusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:14 AM   #15
Bjorn240

I use Givi V35 bags. I've had them up to around 130. On a closed course of course.
Bjorn240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:35 AM   #16
OldBiker

The only issue that I have noticed with my V35 cases and V40 top box is in strong crosswinds. Other than that they are more stable than softbags.

I have had the bike well over three digits without an hiccups. (The road was straight and very few intersections being next to a railroad.)
OldBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:01 AM   #17
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

Whatever speeds you want, there's no issues. Just be mindful of the rearward weight while accelerating.
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear