make a donation to the fz1oa
fz1oa chat
fz1oa picture uploader
maintain your own photo albums
locate fz1oa members
search the entire board
click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 1 Service & Maintenance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2019, 08:40 PM   #1
harun
DUKE
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Newport Beach CA
Posts: 79
JUmp to Carb Clean tomorrow!

Hi,
I ll clean my carb first time tomorrow.I hope I can make it ok.
I need gasket etc.Where can I get it as cheapest and fastest?
I searched on web ebay etc but it takes time to delivery and a lot of different prices.
I appreciate any help.

Thx.
harun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:12 AM   #2
firefly
2004 FZ1
 
firefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Blind spot, CA
Posts: 886
Do not rush & end up forced to wait for parts, for a first timer doing the carbs its a good idea to get all the parts needed first, study the procedure as much as possible, have the right tools for the job & watch a lot of video clips like from this guy

https://www.youtube.com/user/conleybuilt/videos

PLUS Pat's site.
you don't want to have a long down time. you can get OEM parts from partshark, OEM parts are not cheap

https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a...1ad/carburetor

I remember when I cleaned & rebuild my 2003 vmax carbs I used a lot of carb cleaner cans, a 5 gallon bucket to catch all the dirt, a good compressed air supply with a good rubber tip attachment, CORRECT screw driver sizes & be careful not to spray carb cleaner on rubber parts or the diaphragms.

Study the procedure well before diving into it. you look like you're in a hurry which is not a good sign to do it right the first time, you will also need to synchronize the
carbs on the bench and again after you install them on the bike, do you have that tool?

That's why a shop charges $600.00 plus for that job

also while you're at it you might want to change your spark plugs to iridiums, remove the air induction system, check & clean or replace the air filter, remove the carbs coolant hoses system.

Hope that helps
firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:10 AM   #3
rdcusmc
Registered User
 
rdcusmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,095
A lot of people will disagree with me but I'll tell you my method for the carbs. I break them down - completely. Split the carbs from one another. Take everything apart. I recommend going to Harbor Freight and getting their ultrasonic cleaner. Break the carbs down and clean with ultrasonic. Replace all the o-rings with quality, not cheap pieces. You will be rewarded for many years.

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-lit...ner-63256.html

This is the one I have and it works a treat. I've used some chemical in it but Dawn dish washing detergent works really well. Use a toothbrush to help speed things along.

So:
-Take your time
-Lay everything out methodically
-Take lots of reference pictures
-Have all of your parts ready prior to doing the work
-Ask questions here along the way as needed.

This is not impossible nor is it a bad idea. You can do this, particularly with help here. I've rebuilt at least 3 carb banks this way with excellent results. I have pictures (at least some) of past work here I can share for reference.

If you are not comfortable with this, send me the carbs and the parts. I can do the job for you in 2-3 evenings of spare time. Just pay the shipping.

Best,
Ron
__________________
"The Few. The Proud. The Marines!"

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod.
rdcusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:46 AM   #4
harun
DUKE
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Newport Beach CA
Posts: 79
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly View Post
Do not rush & end up forced to wait for parts, for a first timer doing the carbs its a good idea to get all the parts needed first, study the procedure as much as possible, have the right tools for the job & watch a lot of video clips like from this guy

https://www.youtube.com/user/conleybuilt/videos

PLUS Pat's site.
you don't want to have a long down time. you can get OEM parts from partshark, OEM parts are not cheap

https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a...1ad/carburetor

I remember when I cleaned & rebuild my 2003 vmax carbs I used a lot of carb cleaner cans, a 5 gallon bucket to catch all the dirt, a good compressed air supply with a good rubber tip attachment, CORRECT screw driver sizes & be careful not to spray carb cleaner on rubber parts or the diaphragms.

Study the procedure well before diving into it. you look like you're in a hurry which is not a good sign to do it right the first time, you will also need to synchronize the
carbs on the bench and again after you install them on the bike, do you have that tool?

That's why a shop charges $600.00 plus for that job

also while you're at it you might want to change your spark plugs to iridiums, remove the air induction system, check & clean or replace the air filter, remove the carbs coolant hoses system.

Hope that helps
Hi Firefly,
Thank you very much for your response.
I already changed Spark Plugs and made break Bleeding etc.Carbs cleaning and AIS delete install are the last and more challenging job to do now
I ve carb cleaner etc.Just will order gasket kit.I ve a lot of time to finish it no hurry.
As you said after cleaning I ve to synchronize it but have no Carb Tuner.I was thinking to ask guys here if anybody borrow me this for a dinner
That will be my first time but with help of this site and great guys like you, I will be able to do it well.
Thanks again and have wonderful day.
harun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:49 AM   #5
harun
DUKE
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Newport Beach CA
Posts: 79
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcusmc View Post
A lot of people will disagree with me but I'll tell you my method for the carbs. I break them down - completely. Split the carbs from one another. Take everything apart. I recommend going to Harbor Freight and getting their ultrasonic cleaner. Break the carbs down and clean with ultrasonic. Replace all the o-rings with quality, not cheap pieces. You will be rewarded for many years.

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-lit...ner-63256.html

This is the one I have and it works a treat. I've used some chemical in it but Dawn dish washing detergent works really well. Use a toothbrush to help speed things along.

So:
-Take your time
-Lay everything out methodically
-Take lots of reference pictures
-Have all of your parts ready prior to doing the work
-Ask questions here along the way as needed.

This is not impossible nor is it a bad idea. You can do this, particularly with help here. I've rebuilt at least 3 carb banks this way with excellent results. I have pictures (at least some) of past work here I can share for reference.

If you are not comfortable with this, send me the carbs and the parts. I can do the job for you in 2-3 evenings of spare time. Just pay the shipping.

Best,
Ron

Hi, rdcusmc

Thank you very much for your response.
I ve almost all equipment but no carb tuner and long screwdriver to adjust tuning screws.I hope I can borrow it from somebody here.
I ve alot of time and no hurry.I watched thousand video and checked Pat's instructions here.
after so many encouraging by you guys, I m sure I ll be able to do it well enough.
Thanks again and have a wonderful day.
harun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:58 AM   #6
RIDER1
Registered User
 
RIDER1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Hudson, OH
Posts: 328
hardest part is getting the carbs in and out IMO
RIDER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:36 AM   #7
firefly
2004 FZ1
 
firefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Blind spot, CA
Posts: 886
you will need a tool like this to sync the carbs, you will use it frequently
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...i64:rk:22:pf:0
firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:54 AM   #8
wotnnc
Old Enough To Know Better
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Piedmont, North Carolina
Posts: 201
I have this one. It costs a little more but I believe it's worth it.
https://www.carbtune.com/
__________________
Silver 05 and Faster Blue, 04
wotnnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:27 AM   #9
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?
 
gotfz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: SoCal
Posts: 21,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by harun View Post
I ve almost all equipment but no carb tuner and long screwdriver to adjust tuning screws.I hope I can borrow it from somebody here.
Have the screwdriver. Despite changing fueling on many bikes, hardly ever used it. And, in particular never on the FZ1 as the various setups are well-documented here. Had the Dales Stage II and later a Factory Pro (my favorite). Couldn't improve on their settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harun View Post
Hi Firefly,
As you said after cleaning I ve to synchronize it but have no Carb Tuner.I was thinking to ask guys here if anybody borrow me this for a dinner
Gonna disagree with some on needing a sync tool and using it frequently. Once per fueling change and maybe once in a blue moon beyond that. Most of the comments here and on other boards about syncing are myth.

Since I moved and can't borrow Cullen's easily any longer now have a Morgan Carbtune. You can borrow or come by and use. I'm near the Back Bay. For dinner, best Indian food I have had in the US, http://www.currykababoc.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER1 View Post
hardest part is getting the carbs in and out IMO
True until you do it a few times. If you get a problem setup you get pretty fast. One of my fav suggestions was reversing a set of long pliers and using the rubber coated handles between frame and stock airbox to lever it back.
__________________
SCRIMSHAW!
gotfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:49 PM   #10
harun
DUKE
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Newport Beach CA
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly View Post
you will need a tool like this to sync the carbs, you will use it frequently
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...i64:rk:22:pf:0
Hi Firefly.
Do you think I ll need it once a year may be.
I m over my budget and my wife will kill me
I ll try to find from some friends.I m sure I ll not need it at least a year after this synchronization.
Thanks for your replay..
harun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:50 PM   #11
harun
DUKE
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Newport Beach CA
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by wotnnc View Post
I have this one. It costs a little more but I believe it's worth it.
https://www.carbtune.com/
Yes I know that.But I m over my budget.I ll try to find this from some friend only for one use.
thx anyway..
harun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:55 PM   #12
harun
DUKE
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Newport Beach CA
Posts: 79
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post
Have the screwdriver. Despite changing fueling on many bikes, hardly ever used it. And, in particular never on the FZ1 as the various setups are well-documented here. Had the Dales Stage II and later a Factory Pro (my favorite). Couldn't improve on their settings.



Gonna disagree with some on needing a sync tool and using it frequently. Once per fueling change and maybe once in a blue moon beyond that. Most of the comments here and on other boards about syncing are myth.

Since I moved and can't borrow Cullen's easily any longer now have a Morgan Carbtune. You can borrow or come by and use. I'm near the Back Bay. For dinner, best Indian food I have had in the US, http://www.currykababoc.com/



True until you do it a few times. If you get a problem setup you get pretty fast. One of my fav suggestions was reversing a set of long pliers and using the rubber coated handles between frame and stock airbox to lever it back.
Hi gotfz1,

Thank you very much for your comments.
If I can finish with my carb till weekend then I ll be very happy to come and have a lunch together.I ll let you know when I m ready to come.
Thx again and have a wonderful day.
harun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:06 AM   #13
firefly
2004 FZ1
 
firefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Blind spot, CA
Posts: 886
Regarding how frequent synchronizing the carbs is needed, it all depends on how much you ride and what kind of riding, in my case i ride daily in surface street stop and go traffic with occasional freeway & mountain roads riding, I find the carbs need synchronization every ~ 5000 miles, the bike looses its crisp throttle response & becomes dull, you can ignore & sync at longer intervals but with street riding I like it crisp and responsive, that's why investing in a sync tool is a good thing, I have Morgan tool & never regretted its high price especially when you consider how much a shop will charge for that work. I put around 12000 miles a year so carb sync and brake pads go fast.
firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:24 AM   #14
wotnnc
Old Enough To Know Better
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Piedmont, North Carolina
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by harun View Post
Yes I know that.But I m over my budget.I ll try to find this from some friend only for one use.
thx anyway..
I'm a little too far away to be any assistance to you but certainly would if not for that.
I think I've synced my 05 twice in eleven years and saw very little change. Once when I bought it and again last summer when I went through the carbs.
Did the same routine on the 04.
__________________
Silver 05 and Faster Blue, 04
wotnnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:59 AM   #15
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..
 
AndyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 23,858
You don't need the long tool to get at the below-carb screws. I put over 30k miles on my used '01 and never needed it, despite having it for a couple of dirt bikes. I did one carb sync from above with the tank lifted using "regular" tools.

Somebody above mentioned splitting the carbs apart - I've never done it but I know several experienced members here have warned against doing that! They are VERY hard to get back together if you do.

I'm happy to be proven wrong but there is no need to split them for the kind of service work you are looking at.

Also, there are many members here that would be happy to do this work for a reasonable fee, once the carbs are removed from the 'bike. Call PJ at sportbikesforhire in TN, for starters..
__________________
'01 FZ1 set up for distance
'07 FZ1 set up for fun
(both in the *faster* blue)


Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:04 PM   #16
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?
 
gotfz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: SoCal
Posts: 21,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly View Post
Regarding how frequent synchronizing the carbs is needed, it all depends on how much you ride and what kind of riding, in my case i ride daily in surface street stop and go traffic with occasional freeway & mountain roads riding, I find the carbs need synchronization every ~ 5000 miles, the bike looses its crisp throttle response & becomes dull, you can ignore & sync at longer intervals but with street riding I like it crisp and responsive, that's why investing in a sync tool is a good thing, I have Morgan tool & never regretted its high price especially when you consider how much a shop will charge for that work. I put around 12000 miles a year so carb sync and brake pads go fast.
If it's that noticeable don't rule out an issue that causes your bike to need syncing more frequently.

Put 15k on my FZ1 in one year in all sorts of conditions without any throttle response issues that I could detect or any noticeable change in the sync. That year it was still completely stock fueling.
__________________
SCRIMSHAW!
gotfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:32 PM   #17
RIDER1
Registered User
 
RIDER1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Hudson, OH
Posts: 328
you could make your own carb sync too, I made one and it worked well once I made sure it was sealed up at the joints, detail is attached

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=140447
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Carb sync.pdf (170.9 KB, 8 views)
RIDER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:40 PM   #18
wotnnc
Old Enough To Know Better
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Piedmont, North Carolina
Posts: 201
Here is a tool that makes idle mixture adjustment, a piece of cake.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...oAAOxyTjNScTIy
__________________
Silver 05 and Faster Blue, 04
wotnnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:39 PM   #19
harun
DUKE
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Newport Beach CA
Posts: 79
THX FOR ALL FOR THE ADVICES AND SUGGESTIONS.
I LL CONSIDER ALL OF THEM.

RIDE SAFE.
harun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:31 PM   #20
harun
DUKE
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Newport Beach CA
Posts: 79
I SCREWED IT UP

HI Guys,
I m fighting with my carb since 8 days.I came till this point (on the photo) but can not go anymore.It is killing me.I m not sure if I did all things correct till now.Since 2 days I can not adjust float height and I m sure I will not be able to put carb in to the bike too.
PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME.I NEED SOMEONE COME AND DO IT AND SHOW ME.I CAN PAY FOR IT.OR I CAN TAKE A DINNER OR LUNCH OR BOTH.BUT PLEASE HEEEELLP.I WANT TO RIDE IT THIS SUNDAY.



https://i1287.photobucket.com/albums...psvki5lg69.jpg

Last edited by harun; 01-25-2019 at 06:40 PM. Reason: add photo
harun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 1 Service & Maintenance


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:24 PM.


Questions? Comments?
Click on name below to contact via PM
Rabeet (Admin) Desmo (Admin)

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website and Message Board Contents Copyright 2001-2007 FZ1OA
The marks YAMAHA® and FZ1® are used under license from Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A.
The information on this web site is NOT approved or endorsed by Yamaha Motor Corporation in any way.
Page generated in 0.18241 seconds with 12 queries