click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 05-09-2013, 05:32 AM   #1
WileyLogHomes
Need a Log Home?

The Weight Loss thread

So the idea of this thread is to provide motivation for myself and others to loose weight. And if you have already lost weight, share your success stories to help motivate us fatties. What kind of things worked for you? What didnt work for you?
When I quit my desk job 5 years ago I was 280lbs, i dropped down to 250 just getting out from behind the desk, and last year made it down to 240 through calorie restriction (2200 a day) and hiking a lot. In the past year I have made it back up to 263 where I have been for a while.

I know the tried and true way to lose weight is calories in vs. calories out (FYI 3500 extra calories = 1 pound of fat) What else have you done?

My main reason for wanting to drop weight is just for health. I have been married 10 years, and am not trying to get a six pack to score with the chicks, I just dont want all the health issues later in life from being overweight ( I'm 34) Anyways, lets hear your stories, Where are you at? where do you want to be? What are you doing to get there?
Old 05-09-2013, 05:46 AM   #2
Dbl K
I have created Fire!

As a soon to be 40yo I was about 220 at the start of the year and decided I'd take part in 40 4 40. Thankfully I have a few hobbies which help counteract my eating disorder Bicycle riding, running, & swimming. Basically an wanna be triathlete.

To help with the eating disorder I use "Lose It" app on my iphone. Pretty easy to use, plug in your exercise and plug in your food and it keeps track of your calories. My daily allowance of calories sans any exercise is about 1600 a day which if you plan it out isn't horrible but considering I run/ride/swim daily you get extra cals and most days you'll find it hard to eat all that you're allowed.

Cut out the bread/pasta/rice and seriously curb back the sugar intake and you'll be off and running. The typical lots of fruits and veggies is pretty much the key thus far.

As for the exercise, I'm up to about 15 miles running, 70-100 miles riding, and 1-2 miles swimming per week. Find a local bike shop that has group rides and meet some folks. Ask about "No Drop" rides to start. Once you learn the routes you can challenge yourself to go on Drop rides, hence if you get lost you can find your way.

I like to use Strava when running or riding to keep track of mileage, time, elevation etc. Again you can get the app on your phone.

Best advice I can give you is.....Just stick with it. Won't happen over night and you won't be ready for a Tour De France anytime soon but it comes around.

And by all means, eat what you want every once in a while. I stick to it pretty good during the week, the weekends not so much but I don't exactly go on benders either.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:38 AM   #3
Tom Renda
I'm Spartacus! I'm Spartacus!

Great thread idea!

I am going to wait to "weigh in."

My wfie does Type II Diabetes care for a living, and she is an expert on weight loss. I want to see what others have to say before I pass along some of her wisdom.

On the personal front, I can tell you that I have yoyo'ed from 200 (when I was in the busiest part of my law practice in the late 80's) down to 155 (racing bikes, riding 6,000 miles a year in 1993) and back up and down several times (e.g., 190 in 1997 skiing a lot but drinking too much beer in the lodge) to 160 in 2000 (racing bikes again and riding in Tuscanny- last year I competed and was truly fit AND at a proper weight) .

I'm 5 - 10

Not a very healthy thing to do. Right around 180 these days. Too much beer and riding motorbikes in 2012. I was fit, at least, in 2011.

Rght off the bat, I can tell you this. Physical activity is more important that weight loss, per se.

That is, being a skinny couch potato will kill you faster than being a somewhat overweight guy who is very active.

Like I said, I will weigh in with some useful advice later.
87 ZG1000 Concours
84 FJ1100
84 Laverda RGS1000
82 Moto Guzzi LeMans 850 Mark III
81 Honda CB900f
75 Norton Commando 850
75 Triumph Trident T160
71 Honda SL175
67 BSA Bantam 175
67 BSA Trail Bronc 175
Tom Renda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #4
fz'ing in nj

Where's the 'Weight Gain' thread??

2002 Liquid Silver FZ1, Holeshot Stage 1 Jet Kit w/ Timing Advancer, Holeshot High-mount Slip-on, Holeshot Air Induction Removal, Carburetor 4-way Crossover Equalization Manifold, Speed-o-Healer, Pro Gel Grips, 46T Rebel Gear, BikeMaster Pillion Highway Pegs, Metzeler M1 rear tire, Pirelli Diablo Front tire, FZ1Rules Sliders, Huge Industries Undertail Kit, Low-Profile Cat-Eye blinkers, Rear Signal Integrator, RavenRider's forks/spacers/dogbones suspension kit, Mag-Knight Tank Protector, R-1 Shift Arm, Motopak GT-17 Tank Bag
fz'ing in nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
DCL_CT

I'm in. Need to kick start my ass and drop around 15 to 20 lbs. Stats are: 43 years old, 6'-0" and around 215 lbs. Work at a desk, three kids (son 5, daughter 4, daughter 18 mo). Try to stay fairly active with the kids, get out for some hiking and mountain biking here and there. One of the problems is that three years ago when I was laid off I embarked on a mission to finish my BS degree from 20-something years ago through the evening program at one of the colleges. This, unfortunately, means that my time for exercise, eating habits, and sleep take a back seat. Summer is practically here, though, and I don't want to be the flabby father at the beach with my kids.

More to come.

Bikes past and present: 2007 Cobalt Blue Yamaha FZ1 (current), 2005 Titanium Kawasaki ZX-10R, 2001 Kawasaki ZX-9R (wifey's), 1994 Kawasaki ZX-9R (see a common theme?), 1989 Yamaha FZR 600, 1982 Yamaha Seca 750
DCL_CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #6
WileyLogHomes
Need a Log Home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz'ing in nj View Post
Where's the 'Weight Gain' thread??

i think its called "the burger thread" "the gyro thread" "The best mexican you ever ate thread" etc.etc....

So I am pretty active, I work outside most everyday, part of me quitting my desk job was wanting to be physically active again. I am carrying around 60 extra lbs, but still bang out 8-12 mile hikes at the drop of a hat, with the occasional 20+ mile hike with out to many ill effects. Were I really feel the extra weight is rock climbing, but I have been to busy lately to make it out to climb. Every time I try and climb fat it gives me a ton of motivation to lose weight. I just need to start planning more climbing trips.

I didnt start putting weight back on this time until I went to Washington State to build last summer. I was working 14-16hr days doing construction, but I was also eating like a horse to try and keep my energy levels up. I was there for 2 weeks and put on 5 pds.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
DCL_CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyLogHomes View Post
So I am pretty active, I work outside most everyday, part of me quitting my desk job was wanting to be physically active again. I am carrying around 60 extra lbs, but still bang out 8-12 mile hikes at the drop of a hat, with the occasional 20+ mile hike with out to many ill effects.
I like that you mention hiking and have a funny story to go along with that. Up here in New England we have 6288' Mount Washington as our "pinnacle". I've hiked to the summit several various times with the guys, wife, friends, etc. So, my 16 year old nephew wanted to experience this as well this past summer so we planned it out and did this one of the days we were up in New Hampshire.

Now remember, he's 16 and weighs about 135; I was 42 at the time and about 205. Keep in mind that while I have hiked to the summit about 6 or 7 times, I am still carrying a good 20 lbs. extra around my middle - I'm not right off the cover of "Mens Fitness". I picked the Ammonusuc Ravine Trail because it's relatively short - about 4 miles - and scenic. This is going to be an up-and-back day trip for us. Starting out in the morning, Daniel has to stop about every 10 minutes to "adjust his boots", "fix his pack", "check the GPS on his phone", etc. Finally around lunch time we make it to the Lake of the Clouds AMC hut - pretty much 1.1 miles from the summit of the mountain. After discovering his phobia for beef jerky and that the kitchen area of the hut doesn't look "FDA approved", he ate his PB&J and we were on our way.

We left the hut and walked 0.1 miles before he had to stop and rest again. At this point he has already voiced that he's not hiking down, but paying to ride the cog rail down the mountain - he doesn't have the energy to hike down. So, after a few repeats of 0.1 miles / 5 minute rest, I say to him that if we're going to take the cog down we need to get to the summit before everything closes! Finally I told him to take his pack off, then I would point out a group of people or a cairn up ahead and say "there's our next rest stop - let's go!". So, I had my pack, his pack, and nearly had to haul him the rest of the way up the last mile! I did remind him that I have 27 years and 80 lbs. on him - he should be sprinting up the mountain!

Kids these days! Mostly what it was is that he's never been in a situation where he's had to dig deep past his comfort level and tough it out. Everything in his life has been easy and handed to him, this was a challenge that he later remarked "did it, don't need to do it again".

Bikes past and present: 2007 Cobalt Blue Yamaha FZ1 (current), 2005 Titanium Kawasaki ZX-10R, 2001 Kawasaki ZX-9R (wifey's), 1994 Kawasaki ZX-9R (see a common theme?), 1989 Yamaha FZR 600, 1982 Yamaha Seca 750
DCL_CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:59 AM   #8
jethro
Racoon-slayer

Fitness and exercise have very little to do with weight loss. It get's a little complicated and there that little thing about improving your resting heart rate, but for all intensive purposes, exercise does not lose weight. It is all about your intake. I have been going through this with my doctor for three years, I'm overweight and have been for quite some time. 5'-9" and 250lbs. The logic is that there is no way for the regular human to do enough exercise to burn more calories than you take in. Take running, which might burn 300 calories an hour, and that's a lot. That's a large soda. So if you eat too many calories, do you have the time and energy to run 5-8 hours a day? No, so you have to lessen your intake. It is all about counting your calories and eating the right calories and fats.

Exercise improves your health of course, but eating right loses weight. Simple as that. Of course I'm still a fatso, but I have been hearing it from my doc for a long time, and I'm trying to improve how I eat. My doctor tells me that if I do absolutely no exercise but stick to his calorie restricted diet and the right kinds of fat, that the weight will melt off me.
2003 Polaris 700XCSP
1995 Polaris 600XLT

"Peace, by superior fire power..."

My bikes: http://www.geoffreysworld.com/The%20Bikes.htm
jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #9
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Jethro is right of course. It is probaby impossible to "burn" enough calories in the gym doing cardio or weight training to lose much weight. A pound of fat has 3500 calories and we have to do some ridiculous amount of work to burn even 200 calories. I do think that weight training fires up the metabolism, making easier to reach the desired body fat level, as the muscles are awakened and burning more calories all the time, even at 2AM, but that has to be paired with appropriate food intake. Thing about Jethro type guys. When they get super serious, they tend to make great big scary strong bodybuilders. I don't have that kind of size potential in me.

Just looking at the scale does not necessarily tell the story either. Losing fat and building muscle is good, the overall weight may not change much, but body composition does. In the end, it is what we can do right? I submit that DCL_CT is more fit than his 16 year old nephew. That should set of alarm bells in that kid's head to get his ass in gear. Sheesh. When I was 16, I was unstoppable. Maybe not able to move the weights I can move now, but back then I could ride a bike and run for miles and miles.

The thing I notice about "kids today" (jeez, sound like an old man). The boys tend to be Justin Bieber skinny "Metro" looking dudes, and the girls are mostly "thick". Not obese, but bigger legs/hips than we were back in the day. My 15 y/o daughter is 5-8 and quite a bit thinner than most of her peers, and yet she still weighs 125, which is what my same height wife weighed when we were married. Most of her peers are probably in the 145 or more pound range. They are good looking kids, but at only age 15 one wonders where they will be when they are 45. Physically they already look like they are 30...

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #10
Dbl K
I have created Fire!

What's that saying? "No amount of exercise can outdo a poor diet" or "You can't out train a poor diet"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro View Post
Fitness and exercise have very little to do with weight loss. It get's a little complicated and there that little thing about improving your resting heart rate, but for all intensive purposes, exercise does not lose weight. It is all about your intake. I have been going through this with my doctor for three years, I'm overweight and have been for quite some time. 5'-9" and 250lbs. The logic is that there is no way for the regular human to do enough exercise to burn more calories than you take in. Take running, which might burn 300 calories an hour, and that's a lot. That's a large soda. So if you eat too many calories, do you have the time and energy to run 5-8 hours a day? No, so you have to lessen your intake. It is all about counting your calories and eating the right calories and fats.

Exercise improves your health of course, but eating right loses weight. Simple as that. Of course I'm still a fatso, but I have been hearing it from my doc for a long time, and I'm trying to improve how I eat. My doctor tells me that if I do absolutely no exercise but stick to his calorie restricted diet and the right kinds of fat, that the weight will melt off me.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:40 AM   #11
jredford
Musical Metal

Quote:

Spot on jethro.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #12
Kburggibbs

Quote:
but for all intensive purposes,
Does that have something to do with the intensity of your workouts?

Another saying what you said reminded me of: Weight loss will help you look good with your clothes on. Exercise will help you look good with them off.

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
Kburggibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #13
Jd101506

When I was younger I was a pudgey bastard. Wearing 32-34in waste jeans while in 6th/7th grade sorta put me in the "fat" kid group. Defintely husky. After going through highschool steadily growing into my frame I ended about 5'10" and 190. Started running in college and did my fair share of 5ks and half marathons. Today I'm still at 5'10" and 190 but with square shoulders and a barrel chest I cannot lose weight without looking disproportional. On the BMI scale I am considered "obese" but everytime I consult doctors about it they dismiss it. I can go out and run 5 miles with no problems, chin ups easily, and haul around 50lb bags of dog food like its my job. Doctor said the same thing as mentioned above, being a fit guy in the "obese" BMI scale is far better than being a lazy couch potato in the average BMI scale.

I don't have a six pack, nor do I have chiseled arms. I've got some pudge around the middle, but I'm comfortable where I am physically. It's a damn good feeling seeing where I came from.
Jd101506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #14
mabbott
Resident Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd101506 View Post
On the BMI scale I am considered "obese" but everytime I consult doctors about it they dismiss it. I can go out and run 5 miles with no problems, chin ups easily, and haul around 50lb bags of dog food like its my job. Doctor said the same thing as mentioned above, being a fit guy in the "obese" BMI scale is far better than being a lazy couch potato in the average BMI scale.

I don't have a six pack, nor do I have chiseled arms. I've got some pudge around the middle, but I'm comfortable where I am physically. It's a damn good feeling seeing where I came from.
The BMI scale is crap! It pisses me off when I am labeled as obese when I have 14% body fat! Muscle weighs more than fat so if you are short (5'7") like me and weigh 168 pounds you are obese. BMI is like anything just one guideline, it doesn't apply if you are muscular as the scale is not designed for that.
mabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #15
fizzyrider
Too stupid to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyLogHomes View Post
My main reason for wanting to drop weight is just for health.
Pffft, like we believe that. You're obviously running for president in 2016.
fizzyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #16
mabbott
Resident Nobody

Being active is what will help the most. Tracking the calories you take in will help keep you on track. Your metabolism is your friend make sure you raise your metabolism three times a day. This is done by 10 minutes of intense cardio activity three times a day. Running stairs will spike your metabolism quickly, cardio weight lifting, running, speed walking, or intense biking works very well. These 10 minute metabolism boost workouts can be done on breaks and will help you burn more calories for 4 to 6 hours after the spike.
The more you exercise the more lean muscle you will add to your body, this burns more calories.
I wish you guys the best of luck! Being healthy starts an awesome chain reaction of good things in Your life!
mabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #17
fz'ing in nj

I've been studying physiology, sports medicine and nutrition for about seven years now (just for self improvement). Seems like one of the worst things we can do is prolonged periods of sitting. It's literally deadly. Studies have shown that muscle tissue can begin to atrophy in very short periods of time.

I work at an office job... where I sit for seven hours a day. I imagine many of you do the same.

I bought a digital pedometer simply to motivate me to get out of my cube more often. I end up walking anywhere between 3-4 miles a day just while at work. I eschew inter-office mail, e-mail and telephone conversations when I have the opportunity to replace them with a face-to-face interaction. It does wonders for relationship building as a by-product.

The rest of the formula is pretty straight forward: Exercise and diet. Recent studies are showing that it's not necessarily calorie counting that will yield weight loss (and overall better health), but what we eat. Learn to recognize what kinds of foods cause (and mitigate) inflammation, and adjust your diet accordingly.

Vary your exercise activities. Avoid 'routines'. Combine aerobic and anaerobic activities when possible.

Example workout from last night:

Run 1/4 mile at a medium pace. Perform 25 pushups, 20 jumping jacks, 25 mountain climbers, 25 crunches. Repeat 6-8 times. I added 100 yard sprints at the beginning of each quarter mile. Follow with 1/2 mile walk and 15 minutes of stretching to improve recovery time.

Don't underestimate the benefits of resistance training. You don't necessarily need a gym to do it though. The TRX System for example can be fairly easily replicated at home or in a park.

I purchased a pair of these and bring them with me when I go to a park or football field for a workout. Gives me the opportunity to engage many more muscle groups with dozens of different activities.
2002 Liquid Silver FZ1, Holeshot Stage 1 Jet Kit w/ Timing Advancer, Holeshot High-mount Slip-on, Holeshot Air Induction Removal, Carburetor 4-way Crossover Equalization Manifold, Speed-o-Healer, Pro Gel Grips, 46T Rebel Gear, BikeMaster Pillion Highway Pegs, Metzeler M1 rear tire, Pirelli Diablo Front tire, FZ1Rules Sliders, Huge Industries Undertail Kit, Low-Profile Cat-Eye blinkers, Rear Signal Integrator, RavenRider's forks/spacers/dogbones suspension kit, Mag-Knight Tank Protector, R-1 Shift Arm, Motopak GT-17 Tank Bag
Old 05-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #18
Meddig
Smile and wave boys

Im interested in this thread because it seems like we all have a lot in common. I'm 47 have always been pretty fit, played semi-pro hockey for a good chunk of my late 20's into my early thirty's and then in 99 we had our daughter, I got a real job and it wasn't as easy to burn off the weight.
I've installed a couple apps on my android, I track my steps per day and try to hit 10,000 a day which is recommended. I coach a Under 14 girls competitive girls soccer team so I feel like I'm active yet I'm around 200 pounds and 5 10'. I'd like to get back to 175. I'm on the Green coffee bean extract, Raspberry ketone and a colon cleanser as well as the usual vitamin B, Fish oil and a multi vitamin. I drink a lot of water, I feel healthier since taking the vitamins and so far, haven't really seen a lot of improvement. My biggest problem is, I just don't know what to eat. If someone said here you go, eat this, I would. I have no problem knocking anything out of my diet, I sometimes eat out of convenience than necessity. So I'm interested to see where this thread goes.
Meddig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #19
fz'ing in nj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meddig View Post
My biggest problem is, I just don't know what to eat. If someone said here you go, eat this, I would. I have no problem knocking anything out of my diet, I sometimes eat out of convenience than necessity. So I'm interested to see where this thread goes.
Good point. Changing your diet in many cases means readjusting your tastes and perception of what 'tastes good'. In many cases, people who have not had good diets can't appreciate the tastes of natural foods unadorned with dressings or added sweeteners.

Here's an example. Over a year ago I ordered a Vitamix and started making green smoothies. The ingredient list would make most people shy way, and if that didn't do it, the color and consistency would bug most people out.

However, when people actually tried it without prejudice (before I told them what was in it), they ended up thinking it was OK, and were pleasantly surprised when I revealed the ingredients. These are now a near daily staple for me, and an easy way to get the awesome benefits of raw fruits and vegetables in quantities I couldn't be bothered to normally consume.

Here's an example of my typical 'green smoothie':

-kale
-celery
-cucumber
-strawberries
-blueberries
-bananas
-dates
-flax seed
-lemon

I'll have it for breakfast (plus some lean protein) and for a mid-morning snack, and sometimes after a workout with some protein powder.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #20
Torchsport
Deer Whisperer

I dropped 40 lbs. In a year, about 6 years ago, by cutting soda, anything fried, breads, and sugar. Didn't really work out.
I mostly ate fruit, deli wraps with fat free cheese. Lots of grilled chicken.

I am 5'11"
Once I hit 205, I knew I had to get serious. Once I got down to 165, I heard comments that I was getting too thin. I got back up to 175 and felt that was perfect for me.

Sadly, I've climbed back to 190.
Changing my work/sleep schedule really messed me up.
So losing 15 lbs. is a goal.
2008 Yamaha WR250X
2014 Yamaha Zuma 125
2020 Kawasaki KLX110L
Torchsport is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion