register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion

Old 03-24-2018, 08:04 PM   #1
G_man

This is cool>>>>>

So I was wondering why I had not received my monthly Cycle World mag and I called up the subscription line and they said that was because they have gone to a quarterly format, more of a coffee table type magazine.

Here is Edition 1.
The cover is done real nice and the paper stock is much thicker. They've done a pretty good job with it but what I was really happy about was on page 26 they put in a 2001 FZ1.

To think my seventeen-year-old street bike is still noteworthy and garnered much praise from the folks at Cycle World brought a grin to my face.

Yes I know there are faster more nimble machines out there today but what this 1000cc Beast brings to me is more than enough and that's all I ask for--that and reliability which she shines at too.

Steve McQueen--On Any Sunday
G_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
hooligan998
Save a life, grope your wife!

Me likey!
Old 03-25-2018, 06:36 AM   #3
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:26 PM   #4
G_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFZ1 View Post

HuH ?

Is this an inside joke I'm missing out on....

Old 03-29-2018, 01:35 AM   #5
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_man View Post
HuH ?

Is this an inside joke I'm missing out on....
Sorry, was a little when I posted that.

Just means old introduced as new, and this was the 3rd thread here about the new mag layout.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:04 AM   #6
ShiftRed

$11.99

did you notice the cover price?
Ivans reflash, Carozerria wheels, Rizoma bars, Lars airbox mod, cat gutted, air injection removed, Corbin seats, ebay levers, Alth rotors, 1" lowering link, 3/4" fork tube raise, Power commander5, stainless front lines
ShiftRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:28 AM   #7
G_man

Quote:
Sorry, was a little when I posted that.

Just means old introduced as new, and this was the 3rd thread here about the new mag layout.
Hahaha yeah I did not check to see if there are other threads when I posted burn me at the stake!

In my defense I was the only one who did post actual pictures as I have a subscription so I did not pay $11.99 for one copy as mentioned above.

I subscribed for the whole year at the smoking rate of $10 and got the cheesy bag included can't turn it down.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:18 AM   #8
Dean Dinnetz

[/quote]

Hmm, you appear to have the complete, correct, full exhaust system.

Looks great on your FZ1. And to think i was thinking of selling my Akra titanium
slip-on, from my 2002 FZ1. After seeing your photo, i will be keeping my slip-on.

Dean
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:56 PM   #9
G_man

Thanks Dean, the Akro pipe is really nice it's also quiet as the previous owner must have kept it that way.

Don't know if you recall but this is my second FZ1, I bought a shock from you for my first one "Silver" a 2002.

I bought this one from drfous as is, I did have the seat redone. Couldn't turn it down as my 02 was bone stock but I liked it very much.

I know he also bought a shock from you and I do have a question.
Have you had anyone get a stiffer spring for these R 6 shocks as most of my riding is to up and I always have the preload near the max.

I have no idea what year the shock is it has the yellow spring.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:10 PM   #10
Dean Dinnetz

There should be a date code, on the white label, on the lower body of the shock.

I do not know what other shock spring would work for you. Perhaps some other forum members, can help you.

Looks like i will be changing the shock on my 2002 FZ1, soon. Running a S1000RR Sachs shock at the preset time, but it is getting stiff over bumps, even with the preload, and the other settings, turned down. Picked it up for almost nothing a few years ago, and did not know the mileage. Will replace the thing with a R6R shock. Those i do have, at the present time. lol!

Anyway, best of luck with the spring search.

Dean
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:29 PM   #11
G_man

Thanks for the info Dean, yes maybe somebody knows something about the stiffer spring for the R6 shock.

Here's a picture of Silver the day my friend from Balboa Jeff who is also in the Arizona TT ride came out for a test ride.

When he got off the bike shortly after that picture was taken he asked how much? Haha

Although he rode only dirt bikes his whole life like me he never rode a street bike. I sold it to him for $2,700 and also said if he ever was going to sell it let me know.

Long story short he only owned it for less than a year and sold it! (:

I guess riding in the Orange County area was not his cup of tea. I was very disappointed to find out.

I've often wondered who bought the bike and if they have join this awesome forum of FZ gurus.

I must say I am partial to the Gen1 and what a great motorcycle it is, just like the magazine article states.

I really think Yamaha took a step back from what the bike was really designed--for Sport Touring.

I'm not trying to piss off any Gen 2 owners as I know those bikes are good too but for my purpose of true sport touring with my girlfriend on the back the Gen 1 is really a better machine for that imo.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:39 PM   #12
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_man View Post
I'm not trying to piss off any Gen 2 owners as I know those bikes are good too but for my purpose of true sport touring with my girlfriend on the back the Gen 1 is really a better machine for that imo.
No sweat. We already know this.

Gen 1 = better touring sport touring
Gen 2 = better sport sport touring

2 great machines in their own right.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:11 PM   #13
G_man

Quote:
No sweat. We already know this.

Gen 1 = better touring sport touring
Gen 2 = better sport sport touring

2 great machines in their own right.
That's a great description!

I'll be 60 in August so yea I'm down with that.

Old 03-31-2018, 03:53 AM   #14
val guy
Go Celtics!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftRed View Post
did you notice the cover price?
That’s $10.00 too much, imho, for a magazine which has lots of ads and that can be read cover to cover in just a few minutes. The British mags are close to that price but packed with loads more content than that rag Cycle World.
val guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:33 PM   #15
G_man

Yea ol Cycle World has been around a long time and it will be a bummer when it is gone too.

That's why I didn't mind throwing them my $10 I'm a high roller like that....

Went on a 200-mile ride over the weekend with a friend of a friend who knew this group that meets up and goes on rides.

The scenery and ride was good. The bar food was awful.....

It was quite the mix bag of nuts!

The leader of this particular ride was a Vietnam vet and he was very proud to let everybody know with his bandana helmet and Levi vest.
He liked to bark orders and he took us to this bar where his ex-wife showed up and he made sure we got to meet her and hear MORE boring ass stories...

When he saw my tank bag and helmet as I was leaving the joint he comments that's a lot of stuff!

I wasn't about to leave by tank bag and helmet in the dirt parking lot in tweakerville.
I didn't have a good feeling when the two waitresses were old skinny tatted tweakers.

Looking back I should have not ordered any food the burrito they serve me was the worst burrito I've ever had in my life but I was hungry.
Should have stopped at the bar we go to on our dual-sport ride but Vietnam vet boy made sure we went to his bar where his ex-wife hung out.

Fortunately I did meet a new potential ride partner on the BMW 800 adventure bike.

He just moved here and he has a lot of exploring to do.

Last edited by G_man; 04-09-2018 at 11:28 PM.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion