register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion

Old 06-29-2015, 04:04 AM   #41
CopperDog

Just found another thread about this and one of our members - hotcam, says that Yamaha did Change the stator as well but he used his old stator with the new rotor and it is working well even though his was one of those that grenaded inside the engine while running. So I guess you can use just the new rotor if you choose.

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=128612
CopperDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:06 PM   #42
pd59

Update. I checked my front bearing a while back, and it felt like it was in good shape. I stuck my finger in the hole on the cover and turned the bearing, and it turned freely with no binding. I have decided to repace my rotor anyway, I feel like something is not right with it, plus I figure I might as well replace it with the updated version anyway. I am currently waiting on partshark to deliver it to me. I'll update this when it arrives.
pd59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:53 AM   #43
CopperDog

pd59, looking to hear your update when you get the new rotor in. I just ordered the inner and outer bearings, the new little o-ring and a gasket. I'm going to open the cover and check everything out and change the bearings. If the rotor has any damage I will replace it as well but I don't think it does as it is still charging correctly - my fingers are crossed.

Pat
Old 07-08-2015, 11:39 PM   #44
pd59

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperDog View Post
pd59, looking to hear your update when you get the new rotor in. I just ordered the inner and outer bearings, the new little o-ring and a gasket. I'm going to open the cover and check everything out and change the bearings. If the rotor has any damage I will replace it as well but I don't think it does as it is still charging correctly - my fingers are crossed.

Pat
Parts get here Monday. Can't wait. It's been too long off of the bike!

I'll tell you this, my rotor was having no problems charging either, it was just making noise. My inner bearing was frozen, and I think this caused extra heat and stress on the rotor, even though the magnets look fine for now, I think they would fail soon. I guess I'll find out when the parts show up and I can get everything replaced.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:56 AM   #45
CopperDog

PD, dont know if my bike is as far along as yours and some of the others in terms of nearing the point of failure. On mine I dont really have a loud noise even. I have just noticed a subtle change in the bike. It had not been ridden much over the last six months and I noticed after after an oil change, upon start up, there was a definite noise that sounded like a bad bearing but as the new oil circulated the sound went away.

I am also of the mind that one or both of the bearings most likely fail first leading to more heat, misalignment and eventual failure of the rotor/stator assembly. When I break my case open I will post back what I find. Hope you get yours fixed.

Pat
Old 07-13-2015, 07:30 AM   #46
pd59

Parts came today. Installed the new rotor, still having the same problem. Loud grinding sound above 3k. Either I'm retarded and am installing something wrong, or something else is broken. I am about ready to give up on this thing.

Is it possible that the starter clutch gears on the back of the rotor are the problem? I really need some help on this.

Video I just took with the grinding sound.

http://s904.photobucket.com/user/Pde...as4wl.mp4.html

Edit. I'm in the process of replacing the front cover bearing. I'll report back when complete.

Last edited by pd59; 07-13-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:52 AM   #47
CopperDog

Yeah, I was going to say its got to be either a bad bearing or one that is not seated properly. Just got my parts in but wont be able to work on it till tomorrow at the soonest. Will try to get pics and video.

Pat
Old 07-21-2015, 06:11 AM   #48
pd59

Had to wait for a new screw that got stripped out. It was the cover bearing. Bike is back together and running like a champ. I'm going to go ride the wheels off of it.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:36 PM   #49
CopperDog

Glad to hear you gots yours worked out pd59. Well I finally got my parts in and took a look at my rotor. As it turns out all my parts and bearings are pristine, I mean they look brand new. I did shoot a lot of video of the job so I hope to put a video together but here is a pic of mine.

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rotor.jpg (62.5 KB, 110 views)
Old 08-05-2015, 07:00 PM   #50
CrazyBiker
Smooottthhh....

Will wait for CD's awesome video until I check mine

2012 S1000RR Premium Motorsport
Brock Full Exhaust|GPR Damper|Sato Rearsets|Sargent Seat|Oxford Heated Grips|GBR/Woodcraft protectors|Blue SS Lines|Motodynamics signals

2014 S1000R Premium White
Akra GP,Rizoma mirrors,Ermax Bellypan,Tecbike CAT,V-stream,Wunderlich Seat,360° LED signals,R&G+Puig Protection

Hepco Becker Luggage System for both

CrazyBiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:34 AM   #51
pd59

Quote:
Glad to hear you gots yours worked out pd59. Well I finally got my parts in and took a look at my rotor. As it turns out all my parts and bearings are pristine, I mean they look brand new. I did shoot a lot of video of the job so I hope to put a video together but here is a pic of mine.

Pat
Good idea on making a video, that will make a great addition to your others. I should have done the same, but I was so impatient after messing with it so many times I just wanted it done. Glad to hear your parts were ok. Also, sick looking bike you have, and I'm looking forward to getting that speedscreen I ordered.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:15 PM   #52
Fitty
Let's Ride!

Pat, I'm thinking they all look fine inside, until something starts to go wrong. I doubt you get much visual evidence that a failure is imminent. I bought a rotor thinking that was the issue, since the magnets come loose, but now I wonder if it's a rotor bearing or starter clutch failure that lets the rotor get into the stator and everything comes apart. I guess I should order bearings at least, before I put it back together.

Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:31 PM   #53
Smoke27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitty View Post
Pat, I'm thinking they all look fine inside, until something starts to go wrong. I doubt you get much visual evidence that a failure is imminent. I bought a rotor thinking that was the issue, since the magnets come loose, but now I wonder if it's a rotor bearing or starter clutch failure that lets the rotor get into the stator and everything comes apart. I guess I should order bearings at least, before I put it back together.
Fitty,

That is what I am sure happened to mine. The both bearings were bad, the inner one came apart as I took the assembly out. The stator had gouges in the green plastic, I am sure from vibration. This happened when I was almost to the house, but I noticed the noise prior.

Changed the bearings, getting the new and improved stator/rotor just in case. 28k on a 2007, I guess not bad. Helping me with my decision for a new bike though.
Smoke27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:01 AM   #54
pd59

Quote:
Just found another thread about this and one of our members - hotcam, says that Yamaha did Change the stator as well but he used his old stator with the new rotor and it is working well even though his was one of those that grenaded inside the engine while running. So I guess you can use just the new rotor if you choose.

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=128612
I was just re reading this thread, and I want to add that I used the new upgraded rotor, and the old stator, and have not had any issues. Hopefully that can help someone else down the road that finds this thread.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:07 AM   #55
pd59

Quote:
I also agree with this. My rotor looked great when it came out, and both bearings were stuck. The front cover bearing didn't seem that bad on inspection, but after replacing the inner bearing, it was obvious that it was bad, since it caused the interference and grinding that you can hear in my little video clips I made.

I would definitely replace both of the bearings even if you don't do anything else. At least they're cheap (compared to the rotor and stator).

Edit. This is a pic of my rotor when it came out. It looked good too, but I still had bad bearings.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:49 AM   #56
CopperDog

Quote:
. . .But my thinking is that the bearings are the failure point first, as in the case with the OP

Pat
Quote:
Pat, I'm thinking they all look fine inside, until something starts to go wrong. I doubt you get much visual evidence that a failure is imminent.
I agree. I was thinking that perhaps one would get some audible evidence though. As I mentioned I thought I heard a new sound but it turned out not to be from the Generator. When I got mine apart the first thing I did was to put shafts back into the bearings and spin them - even with a slight cross load, hoping to find a little knock or grind, there was none. I guess in the end my decision was to take my chances with the stock parts. I am guessing the failure rate on these is similar to the cracked frame FZ1's. Some will, but a lot more won't.

Pat
Old 08-07-2015, 07:05 AM   #57
Fitty
Let's Ride!

Well I already have a rotor, so I need to order bearings now. Thanks to all of you for your work and help on this matter.

Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:01 AM   #58
jman52
Shakira

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82packer View Post
Did your timing chain jump a tooth or two? Can happen if engine goes backwards.
Would this happen if you spun the rear tire, after you removed the assembly from the the bike? Bike was in neutral fyi.
jman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:20 AM   #59
Skrapy1
Mach

Hey CD,

Any word on the video for this? I want to take mine apart and at least change the bearings If everything looks good. I'm in agreement about the bearings going bad and causing the imbalance to stator and rotor resulting in contact!
BTW, what pully assembly did you use to pull the bearings, and did you just press the bearings in with a socket?
Please advise, all help/advice is appreciated before I tackle this! Thank you in advance.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:57 AM   #60
CopperDog

Am working on the final bits of the video now and hope to have it up soon. Just did the final edit and working on the narration now. Video will show getting the parts out and back in, it is pretty straight forward I think. I did not take the bearings out and replace but if you need to pull the bearings they are easily accessible and I would think a typical bearing puller would do the trick. Will let you guys know when it is up.

Pat

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion