register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 1 Service & Maintenance

Old 07-09-2018, 06:35 PM   #1
mran556

Can i jack the bike up from the headers?

Got to do some maintenance check forks, bearings, triple etc..

Got a rear stand and wanted to jack up the front end with a car jack and a 2x4 from the headers. Any issues that way? Not sure how you guys do it. Ive done it before but its been on sub 400lbs bikes.. I feel like the yamahas made of swiss cheese too so makes me a little nervous.

Cant hang it from the rafters either... Any ideas? Dont own a ladder either.
mran556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:51 PM   #2
fermic37

Yeah it’s fine. I’ve been doing it for years.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:03 PM   #3
okrider

I usually used a jack under the headers while the bike was on the center stand. So it would simply tilt the bike back vs. holding the weight of the bike on the headers. Now that I've taken the center stand off, I think I'll put it back on when I want to work on the forks. Have a front stand so I can take the wheel off.
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:38 PM   #4
SCROOOSE!!
What the.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrider View Post
I usually used a jack under the headers while the bike was on the center stand. So it would simply tilt the bike back vs. holding the weight of the bike on the headers.
This

I used to have a long sig but then Desmo stopped talking to me.
SCROOOSE!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:25 AM   #5
isleoman

My method involves two cheap small jack stands and a short length of 2X4.

1. Place bike on center stand.

2. Lift front wheel with one hand and slide short piece of 2X4 under front wheel to get front end to about 95% of the height.

3. Place small jack stands under front edge of frame rails. Wrap tops of jack stands with some rags or tape to stop them from scratching paint.

4. To get the jack stands firmly under the frame rails you may have to stand on sides of bike and put pressure on rear of seat and use your foot to drag the stands about 2" rearward.

5. Remove 2X4 from under wheel and fronts end will now be dangling securely in the air.

I have a motorcycle style jack but prefer not to have it sticking out the side of the bike when I'm working around it.

My jack stands cost $12 at autozone. Pretty much the smallest ones applicable for cars.
It took me much longer to write this than it does to accomplish this method. Takes me about 2 minutes.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:29 AM   #6
glory racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
Yeah it’s fine. I’ve been doing it for years.
On a heavy FJR and VFR1200 as well. Just make sure the bike is 'stable' before you start strong arming anything.
glory racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:42 AM   #7
twowheelr

I always break all the key bolts loose Before jacking up the bike, that way it lessens the chance of dropping the bike when I do this.
twowheelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:45 AM   #8
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Lifting by the headers is fine.

When I did my suspension and needed both ends off the ground for an extended period built a jig for a cheapo atv jack stand. Benefit there was being able to move it around in my crowded garage while in the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleoman View Post
There's also jack stands + steel rod as the gen1 provides a handy spot to slide it through near the front of the frame.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:11 PM   #9
WDD

1) Bike on center stand
2) Jack it up gently with 2X4 under header
3) Slide jack stands under the rails.

I actually built a small cradle out of scrap 2X4's to slide under the frame rails and put the jacks under that. The cradle being a bit wider made it a little more secure. No need to drop the bike with no front wheel because you were tugging on a bolt to loosen it..

Not that I've done that …….
Old 07-11-2018, 05:59 AM   #10
Dean Dinnetz

Heck, when i change out front tires on both gen.1's that i now own, i simply push down on the rear of the bike, and slide a 4" by 6" piece of wood, under the front of the header pipes. Bike on the center stand, of course.

As has been mentioned, i first loosen the allen head pinch bolt on the right fork slider, then the axle bolt, and then the brake caliper bolts.

Very easy to do, and works fine, every time.

Dean
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:03 AM   #11
fermic37

Based on the OPs other threads about his center stand, I assume he still doesn't have one installed. So a jack under the headers is still his best bet.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:16 PM   #12
LiquidSilver
Bad Cattytude

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleoman View Post

1. Place bike on center stand.

2. Lift front wheel with one hand and slide short piece of 2X4 under front wheel to get front end to about 95% of the height.

3. Place small jack stands under front edge of frame rails. Wrap tops of jack stands with some rags or tape to stop them from scratching paint.

4. To get the jack stands firmly under the frame rails you may have to stand on sides of bike and put pressure on rear of seat and use your foot to drag the stands about 2" rearward.

5. Remove 2X4 from under wheel and fronts end will now be dangling securely in the air.

I have a motorcycle style jack but prefer not to have it sticking out the side of the bike when I'm working around it.

My jack stands cost $12 at autozone. Pretty much the smallest ones applicable for cars.
It took me much longer to write this than it does to accomplish this method. Takes me about 2 minutes.
This exactly. And if you remove the rear wheel first, you can take both wheels off at the same time. Just be careful you dont push down on the seat past the balance point.

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:22 AM   #13
Pat Glenn
Everything's Just Ducky

Pat
Pat Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 1 Service & Maintenance