register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance

Old 07-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #1
D White

Float needle o-rings

Hello all,

My 2003 is missing on number 2, and after much reading I think my carbs may need a good cleaning and some new float needle o-rings while I have them out. I installed Ivan's kit over 10 years ago and haven't had to touch the carbs since except for an occasional sync.

So I pulled the carbs today and took the float covers off to clean, check float height, and a replace the o-rings. When I did I noticed that the number 2 float bowl was the only one still full of fuel. Is this related to my miss on 2, and if so what is the cause. I'm pretty good at following the instructions on Pats site for the "how to", but I would kinda like to know the why as well.

Also. Is there a good photo resource for showing me all the jets I need to clean while I have it apart?

Thanks,
David
D White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:28 PM   #2
arkie6

How did you determine #2 was "full of fuel"?

Are you saying that carbs #1, #3, & #4 had no fuel in them or just less fuel than #2? If just less fuel than #2, that may point to a leaking needle valve o-ring on #2. If the #2 carb needle valve o-ring was leaking, that would then to overfill #2 relative to the other carbs.

The pictures on Pat's site are as good as it gets for FZ1 carb jet photos as far as I know.

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/j...tallation.html

There is one labeling error though. On the following photo, the jet labeled "Needle jet" is actually the starter jet that comes into play when you pull back the choke/starting lever.

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/i...ffloatbowl.jpg

I would remove all three jets and verify clean and clear: pilot, starter, & main

Berryman's B12 Chemtool Carb & Choke Cleaner in the spray can available at Walmart or Autozone works great to dissolve varnish in the jets, just don't get it on any rubber or plastic.
arkie6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:38 PM   #3
D White

I turned the carburetor over and took off the float bowl covers. The 1, 3 and 4 float bowls were empty and #2 float bowl was full of fuel when I took off the cover. It may mean nothing, I just thought it was odd.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:39 PM   #4
D White

Thanks for the Berryman B12 tip, I'll pick some up.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:23 PM   #5
arkie6

Take the jets out and put them in a metal jar lid or beer can cut down to ~1/2" high and soak them good with the B12 (don't get any in your eyes!). Let them set a minute or two, then blow them out with compressed air and look through the center hole at a bright light. If not clear, repeat. You can also take a bristle from a wire brush and gently run through the jet holes to dislodge any stubborn varnish. Finish up with another shot of B12 and compressed air and a visual to verify fully open jets.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:53 AM   #6
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

The B12 is also less expensive and MUCH stronger than Seafoam. Careful around anything painted, it is quick remover.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:18 AM   #7
D White

Do I need to soak and clean the needles too?

After I do the jets I was just planning a good wipe down of the remaining metal parts with a clean rag and some B-12. I’ll make sure to stay away from the diaphragms or any other rubber/painted parts.

Thanks again for y’alls help!
Old 07-09-2018, 07:38 PM   #8
D White

Alright, I've got everything I need except the beer cans cut down to a half inch. I'm gonna pick up a 12 pack tomorrow night and take care of that. I'm not very good at measuring though so it may take all 12 to get them just right.����
Old 07-09-2018, 09:17 PM   #9
arkie6

Maybe just not right before you start taking the carbs apart.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:49 PM   #10
D White

Carbs are cleaned, and it is back together running great. The problem was a plugged pilot jet in number 2 carburetor. The float o-rings weren't too bad but I replaced them anyway. Also threw on a new air and oil filter. I think I'll just ride it for a bit, make sure everything is working as it should, and then sync the carbs after a couple tanks of fresh gas.

Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance