register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering

Old 11-09-2017, 07:41 PM   #1
tamej

Need help with choices

Hello
I have a 2004 and over this winter going to update my front and rear suspension with new fork springs, oil, seals and rear shock.
I weigh about 220lbs.
Using the fork spring calculator it says 1.0kg/mm should work up front. Thinking 7wt oil. Need a little help on the rear shock.
Would this work?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-12-YZF...5ZtBL0&vxp=mtr
Or would a s1000rr be a better choice?
Any help would be much appreciated.
tamej is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:01 PM   #2
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

My experience with the R6 shock has been totally positive. I bought one on eBay, drilled the top for the proper bolt, and got the washers. Then ordered some 1/4" thick 7075 bar stock from McMaster Carr, cut two pieces to length, clamped and drilled holes (on 130mm center I think). Quick, easy, cheap.

Details here: http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=112357

Another great turnkey option is to order a complete, ready to install kit, from Dean here on the forum. Still very economical. Simply bolt it in then go ride.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:42 PM   #3
ctfz1
corner carver

I have the r6r shock, worthwhile change, especially with fork springs.
You can find set up info or a "kit" (drilled, dogbones, washers) on site.
BMW is softer spring. I've read the lengths changed so years matter.
ctfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:10 PM   #4
Dean Dinnetz

Yep, i sell a plug n' play complete R6R shock kit for $195.00. That price includes Priority Mail shipping, to your 48 state address.

You remove your o.e.m. shock, and dog bones, and bolt in my complete kit. All done for you. I have sold about eighty of these complete kits, and everybody loves them, for the price point they are.

If any interest/questions, let me know, and have a nice weekend.

Dean

P.S. As i make my own dog bones, i can custom fit where you want the rear of your bike to sit. All part of the shock kit.
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:17 PM   #5
Dean Dinnetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfz1 View Post
I have the r6r shock, worthwhile change, especially with fork springs.
You can find set up info or a "kit" (drilled, dogbones, washers) on site.
BMW is softer spring. I've read the lengths changed so years matter.

Yep, B.M.W. S1000RR/Sachs shocks changed in 2012. Slightly shorter than the previous models, and the inner piston, is slightly larger, in diameter. These are the only B.M.W shocks i use, in my B.M.W. shock kits, for the gen.1, FZ1's.

These shocks work well for slightly lighter riders, as the shock springs are not as stiff, as the R6R shock springs.

Dean
Old 11-10-2017, 06:27 PM   #6
tamej

Hey Dean
I am trying to upgrade from the tired shock that I have. The shock I linked is clean and is claimed to be low mileage.
In your kits, are the shocks low mileage units or is there any way of really telling?
Thanks for the quick response.
tamej is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:46 PM   #7
Dean Dinnetz

P.m. just sent to you, with shock info.
Dean
Old 11-11-2017, 06:40 AM   #8
iluvmyfz1

Who makes the R6 shock? Is it Sachs as well?
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
Old 11-11-2017, 08:39 AM   #9
Dean Dinnetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
Who makes the R6 shock? Is it Sachs as well?
O.e.m. unit on a Yamaha R6R bike. Four way adjustable shock. A very good unit.
Dean
Old 11-11-2017, 09:50 AM   #10
rdcusmc

I don't know your budget however you can have your stock shock rebuilt and revalved by Traxxion for about $250, maybe $300 last time I checked. It will get you exactly what you need out back and give you about 90% of the performance of a Penske. If the budget allows and you plan to keep the bike, this is a great option.

Same story for the forks. Standard forks revalved and sprung by Traxxion (non-AK20's) is a huge improvement and can be done with relatively little cash. I had this done and it worked great. Ultimately, I moved onto 07 R1 forks and am beyond happy I did. Better brakes, more nimble - lots of positives - I love it.

I've had the R6 shock, the BMW shock (resprung) and the Penske. Penske is my favorite hands down with BMW and my friend's Traxxion rear rebuilt shock tied for second.

Best,
Ron

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's Jet kit, ignition advancer, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings.
rdcusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:25 PM   #11
Dean Dinnetz

I have run, and currently am running, a B.M.W. Sachs shock, on my 2002 FZ1. I have also run a R6R shock, for a number of miles. Really not a whole lot difference between the two shocks. And i have run a rebuilt o.e.m. shock, with a stiffer spring, and changed valving inside.

I find the B.M.W. shock to be slightly better for my touring purposes. The R6R shock, to be slightly better, in sport riding.

The best thing about the R6R shock is, that it will work for riders, that weigh up to 280 pounds.

The B.M.W. shock is good to about 220 pounds max, and over that, one must change out the shock spring, for a stiffer spring. Then of course, the inside valving of the shock, should be altered, also. So, one is looking to spend at least three hundred dollars plus, for a rebuilt B.M.W. shock, with a different spring.

Hard to beat the price point of a R6R shock, for riders that weigh 160 to 280 pounds. No need to change out the shock spring, as it is stiff enough, for the above mentioned heavier riders.

Dean
Old 11-13-2017, 07:55 AM   #12
iluvmyfz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Dinnetz View Post
O.e.m. unit on a Yamaha R6R bike. Four way adjustable shock. A very good unit.
Dean
Yessir, got that on my bike, but wondering who actually makes that shock for mother Yammie?
Old 11-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #13
Dean Dinnetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
Yessir, got that on my bike, but wondering who actually makes that shock for mother Yammie?

I did know the manufacturer name, but of course at present, cannot remember it!

When i first saw them over eight years ago, i thought perhaps Ohlins. At the time, Yamaha had a controlling interest, in Ohlins.

That being said, I believe it is a Japanese company that makes them, if i remember correctly. If i can remember anything! lol!

Hey at 73 years of age, it is all i can do to find my house on return, once i go for a ride. lol!

Dean

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering