register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 10-11-2018, 09:58 PM   #1
AFM674
Getting into turn 4 at Sonoma

Location: Santa Cruz, Ca-New Gen3 17' FZ10-trick already, but big mods are coming. My FZ1 smokes it right now.
Curious...anyone have the Gen3 FZ10?

I thought it would be another 3-4 years before I bought a tricked out FZ10 for a good price...maybe $7500.00ish. Of course it would have a shock, revalved forks, flashed ecu and an exhaust. But I saw a really tricked out one with even more mods...I had to have it. $11,500.00...3k miles. KBB stock was $12,500 when I bought it...so it wasn't a terrible deal.

The reason I ask if anyone on here has one is because the people on this forum are awesome. Maybe you have the Gen3 and are a member on FZ10.org. I think I've seen some duplicate avatars on the FZ10 forum from this forum. Thanks Fizzers

09' FZ1
Mods:CRG Levers - Sargent Seats - SS Lines F&R - EBC R Rotor - Vesrah XX Pads - Braking SK2 Frt Rotors - Ohlins Shock - 08 R1 forks - K-Tech 24SSRK C & R Valves - Vortex R/Sets, Apex clipons - Superlite 44t Rear & 15t C/S - 520 ERV3 Gold Chain - Gear Indicator - Graves Full Exh - Ivanized ECU - Hyper Pro Damper - Annitori QS - Graves Stacks - BMC Filter/Airbox Mod - Brembo RCS19 - 1/6 R6 throttle - ZG DB Screen.
AFM674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:47 PM   #2
ballmead
I like em Naked

Gen 3 FZ10? They are only up to Gen 1.
2010 FZ1N - Mivv Speed Edge with Arrow headers - Ivan's ECU flash - PCV - Modded Airbox with DNA air filter - 49T rear sprocket - 2008 R1 Forks and brakes - Penske 8983 rear shock - LighTech rear sets
ballmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:26 AM   #3
Wonger

I had one and traded it in. I missed the fairing of the Fazer style for my type of riding. I paid $12k OTD last fall for a '17.
I bought an S1000XR this summer.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:01 AM   #4
isleoman

Was killing time yesterday and visited the local Euro sport bike dealer.

Sat on a 1000xr and was surprised at how difficult it was for me to get the bike off the side stand. I have a 30 inseam. so that was part of it, but they seem to carry their weight high up. With my wife on the bact I t would be a hard lift especially on uneven terrain. I'm sure they are lite as a feather once under way.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:08 AM   #5
CrazyBiker
Smooottthhh....

Would be interested in checking yours out. But looks like most owners sell them off pretty quick. Issue with FZ10, is that it still needs sorting out in the ECU, suspension and brakes department. Stock rubber lines is blasphemy in these times given it is supposed to compete with euros.

Good on ya that you bought it already modded up. I think lot of owners really expected a gen3 FZ1 out of the MT-10 and ended up with a naked hooligan than a SPORT touring machine. The 20-30 mpg doesn't help either and it still needs $$ to sort it out. Comparitively, the euro bikes S1000R, Tuono, Super Duke come completely sorted stock and need nothing.

2012 S1000RR Premium Motorsport
Brock Full Exhaust|GPR Damper|Sato Rearsets|Sargent Seat|Oxford Heated Grips|GBR/Woodcraft protectors|Blue SS Lines|Motodynamics signals

2014 S1000R Premium White
Akra GP,Rizoma mirrors,Ermax Bellypan,Tecbike CAT,V-stream,Wunderlich Seat,360° LED signals,R&G+Puig Protection

Hepco Becker Luggage System for both

CrazyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:01 AM   #6
AFM674

Location: Santa Cruz, Ca-New Gen3 17' FZ10-trick already, but big mods are coming. My FZ1 smokes it right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballmead View Post
Gen 3 FZ10? They are only up to Gen 1.
It's a Gen3 FZ to me. This is the model that replaced the Gen2 FZ1...so I call it the Gen3. Then they went and started calling them MT-10's...they should just stick with FZ. FZ goes back to the early 80's...MT sounds like a cruiser model.

Later,

09' FZ1
Mods:CRG Levers - Sargent Seats - SS Lines F&R - EBC R Rotor - Vesrah XX Pads - Braking SK2 Frt Rotors - Ohlins Shock - 08 R1 forks - K-Tech 24SSRK C & R Valves - Vortex R/Sets, Apex clipons - Superlite 44t Rear & 15t C/S - 520 ERV3 Gold Chain - Gear Indicator - Graves Full Exh - Ivanized ECU - Hyper Pro Damper - Annitori QS - Graves Stacks - BMC Filter/Airbox Mod - Brembo RCS19 - 1/6 R6 throttle - ZG DB Screen.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #7
fermic37

I looked at them. But for the amount of money they are asking for them. And like crazy biker said, they need a lot of sorting out to work, they just aren’t worth it. Unless you’re buying second hand.

The fz1 was worth buying because it was cheap, and you still had plenty of money left over to fix its performance issues.
fermic37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:33 AM   #8
AFM674

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBiker View Post
Would be interested in checking yours out. But looks like most owners sell them off pretty quick. Issue with FZ10, is that it still needs sorting out in the ECU, suspension and brakes department. Stock rubber lines is blasphemy in these times given it is supposed to compete with euros.

Good on ya that you bought it already modded up. I think lot of owners really expected a gen3 FZ1 out of the MT-10 and ended up with a naked hooligan than a SPORT touring machine. The 20-30 mpg doesn't help either and it still needs $$ to sort it out. Comparitively, the euro bikes S1000R, Tuono, Super Duke come completely sorted stock and need nothing.
I always like an underdog...plus I like the reliability I've experienced with all my Yamaha's. If I made a six figure salary I would have a Tuono and 2017-18 R1 full blown superbike for serious trackdays. The FZ10 is going to so unique and trick when I'm done. Sure the Aprilia, BMW, Ducati, KTM and MV Agusta are trick and very pretty. Wait until you see this thing next spring...it will be badass. About 154-55 RWHP is the target...with 45- 55lbs weigh reduction over stock.

It's going to be expensive, but I want a badass FZ10...not a Euro...everyone and there brother has these. I guarantee when I pull up to Alice's Restaurant or any event...people will be blown away by it. I'll show you the current version CB if your around in the next few weeks. I'm booked this weekend.

Later Fizzers

Later,

09' FZ1
Old 10-12-2018, 01:50 PM   #9
Harry1976
Old Guy

I got one as soon as they were available, modded it right away for more power, it has become my favorite bike.
Harry1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:43 PM   #10
barryc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFM674 View Post
I always like an underdog...plus I like the reliability I've experienced with all my Yamaha's. If I made a six figure salary I would have a Tuono and 2017-18 R1 full blown superbike for serious trackdays. The FZ10 is going to so unique and trick when I'm done. Sure the Aprilia, BMW, Ducati, KTM and MV Agusta are trick and very pretty. Wait until you see this thing next spring...it will be badass. About 154-55 RWHP is the target...with 45- 55lbs weigh reduction over stock.

It's going to be expensive, but I want a badass FZ10...not a Euro...everyone and there brother has these. I guarantee when I pull up to Alice's Restaurant or any event...people will be blown away by it. I'll show you the current version CB if your around in the next few weeks. I'm

Later Fizzers

Later,
“serious trackday”, now there’s a great oxymoron!! 😆
Old 10-12-2018, 05:18 PM   #11
klj7734

Quote:
It's a Gen3 FZ to me. This is the model that replaced the Gen2 FZ1...so I call it the Gen3. Then they went and started calling them MT-10's...they should just stick with FZ. FZ goes back to the early 80's...MT sounds like a cruiser model.

Later,
Ok so there was the one and only FZ1
Then the dumbasses in Japan discontinued the best motorcycle ever built and came out with the FZ2 that was nothing but problems
And now they have the FZ3 which seems to be the worst yet.
Nothen like going 100 miles before fill up again!

No thanks!

I'll stick with my tried and true FZ1 thank you very much

Falls asleep dreaming of a crossplane 1st Gen
Wakes in a cold sweet
Hugs his Fizzy

Last edited by klj7734; 10-12-2018 at 07:42 PM.
klj7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:56 PM   #12
AFM674

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry1976 View Post
I got one as soon as they were available, modded it right away for more power, it has become my favorite bike.
Way to go Harry. I'm still keeping my FZ1, but the FZ10 is getting all the mods now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc View Post
“serious trackday”, now there’s a great oxymoron!! 😆
When I said serious trackday...it means when I'm at a trackday running with the instructors and local racers in A group...I'm not out for a casual day of riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klj7734 View Post
Then the dumbasses in Japan discontinued the best motorcycle ever built and came out with the FZ2 that was nothing but problems

No thanks!

Wakes in a cold sweet
Hugs his Fizzy
I had a 03' blue & 03' liquid silver Gen1...I flat out kicked the crap out of a lot of serious sportbikes. Yes it got the best mileage of of the various FZ models, but honestly the routes I ride don't require 175 mile range...I'm fine with fueling up ever 100-110 miles.

09' FZ1
Old 10-13-2018, 07:01 AM   #13
barryc

Just my opinion friend but you’re missing the whole point of a “trackday”. Track days were designed to be a fun, safe day in the park. I was a coach with STT so I know a little about this topic. Maybe you would have more fun joining a local club and going racing, where being “serious “ is encouraged. I’m NOT saying you’re this guy who treats a trackday like a race he or she can “win”. Those people are dangerous to others at a trackday and are always booted from STT events. I’m sure you know what I’m talking about and since you say you are at the top of A group racing is the next step if you really want to learn how to go fast. Be safe AFM👍
Old 10-13-2018, 07:49 AM   #14
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Probably a little too much fixation on the word "serious."

A groups at many track days around here are "serious" practice for racers trying to get laps in and work on things when there's no racing. That doesn't mean they're dangerous or any racing is happening. They're still usually the lowest in trouble and traffic which is why pushing my poor little SV into A group was so much fun.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:01 AM   #15
CrazyBiker
Smooottthhh....

When I am at a track day the most crashes I see are in A and C groups. The intermediate B group is the safest and many run A pace there without all the egoistic racing and lap record attempts.

Barry, Mike has done racing in the past. I think he just wants to have fun at 56!

Brock Full Exhaust|GPR Damper|Sato Rearsets|Sargent Seat|Oxford Heated Grips|GBR/Woodcraft protectors|Blue SS Lines|Motodynamics signals

Akra GP,Rizoma mirrors,Ermax Bellypan,Tecbike CAT,V-stream,Wunderlich Seat,360° LED signals,R&G+Puig Protection

Old 10-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #16
CrazyBiker
Smooottthhh....

Quote:

It's going to be expensive, but I want a badass FZ10...not a Euro...everyone and there brother has these. I guarantee when I pull up to Alice's Restaurant or any event...people will be blown away by it. I'll show you the current version CB if your around in the next few weeks. I'm booked this weekend.

Later Fizzers

Later,
Mike, now that Yamaha is trying to push the envelope to compete with the euros, there are more reliability issues popping up with both their crossplane triples and I4s. So keep up the maintenance and do regular valve checks. I will take you up in the next few weeks. Holler at me when you plan to ride out!

Old 10-13-2018, 09:08 AM   #17
AFM674

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post
Probably a little too much fixation on the word "serious."

A groups at many track days around here are "serious" practice for racers trying to get laps in and work on things when there's no racing. That doesn't mean they're dangerous or any racing is happening. They're still usually the lowest in trouble and traffic which is why pushing my poor little SV into A group was so much fun.
You get it gotfz1.

Track days were designed to be a fun, safe day in the park? No problem (barryc) explaining your thoughts on what trackdays are designed for you and others in the organization were you instructed rides in the park...JK

So here's my view...it might not be popular, but it's my opinion.
I don't race anymore, but when I did I beat plenty of the top 10 in the AFM...including the #1 plate holder. I'm no rookie when it comes to understanding that it's just a trackday...not a race for a $5.00 plastic trophy. With that said and being retired from racing at the expert level...I still enjoy riding well prepped bikes with some very experienced riders at Keigwins, Z2 & PTT.

So when I pay $400.00 for a set of slicks, $15,000-$20,000 for a modern sportbike...which today is basically a full blown track weapon...215 rwhp, ohlins and every imaginable electronics gizmo...then pay $340.00 for the trackday...it's not going to be a
RIDE IN THE PARK.

I'm going to be on the gas (WFO)...sure I'll have a margin of safety. I had a margin of safety when I was racing too. So if some guy comes out and has a 2018 ZX10 with slicks and wants to play at the park in A group with me...he better expect a pass on the rumble strips 12 inches away braking into turn 5 at Laguna Ha Ha.

My buddy who's a great rider and expert enduro rider come out on his first day at Laguna and I hit his boot passing him on the rumble stripes going into turn 5 at Laguna. I usually dive inside, but sometimes guys leave room on the outside then swing back across last minute to the set up for the corner...they are rookies...so he gets a rumble strips pass
NOW LET'S GET BACK TO THE FZ10 DISCUSSION

0612170945 by AFM470, on Flickr

This is some guy on a badass Ducati changing his lines last minute...no problem for me. He didn't have a problem with the pass and neither did the instructors or trackday organizers. So who else has a FZ10...I'm looking for some new mods and any improvements done by some on FZ10A's best. I want to thank everyone for replying...you too barryc. Keep On Riding

0612170938 by AFM470, on Flickr

09' FZ1

Last edited by AFM674; 10-13-2018 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Added pics
Old 10-13-2018, 10:52 AM   #18
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by klj7734 View Post

No thanks!

Wakes in a cold sweet
Hugs his Fizzy
I got over 46mpg during the fall rally on my gen 2. 163 miles and still had plenty of fuel range. That’s mpg on par with any gen 1 I’ve seen, and I wasn’t babying it, there was still some WOT pulls on that tank.

Plus, with all the gen 1 problem threads that are popping up lately, it’s a given which one is more reliable. There’s one updated part you need to put in the engine, and occasionally you get a coil pack failure on the gen 2. I rode over 150 miles home on 3cyl when I had a coil pack failure. That’s been my only issue, just topping 30k miles. I’ll take the sporty sport tourer anyday.

Oh yeah, and

Last edited by MichaelFZ1; 10-13-2018 at 11:13 AM.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:56 PM   #19
barryc

Quote:
You get it gotfz1.

Track days were designed to be a fun, safe day in the park? No problem (barryc) explaining your thoughts on what trackdays are designed for you and others in the organization were you instructed rides in the park...JK

So here's my view...it might not be popular, but it's my opinion.
I don't race anymore, but when I did I beat plenty of the top 10 in the AFM...including the #1 plate holder. I'm no rookie when it comes to understanding that it's just a trackday...not a race for a $5.00 plastic trophy. With that said and being retired from racing at the expert level...I still enjoy riding well prepped bikes with some very experienced riders at Keigwins, Z2 & PTT.

So when I pay $400.00 for a set of slicks, $15,000-$20,000 for a modern sportbike...which today is basically a full blown track weapon...215 rwhp, ohlins and every imaginable electronics gizmo...then pay $340.00 for the trackday...it's not going to be a
RIDE IN THE PARK.

I'm going to be on the gas (WFO)...sure I'll have a margin of safety. I had a margin of safety when I was racing too. So if some guy comes out and has a 2018 ZX10 with slicks and wants to play at the park in A group with me...he better expect a pass on the rumble strips 12 inches away braking into turn 5 at Laguna Ha Ha.

My buddy who's a great rider and expert enduro rider come out on his first day at Laguna and I hit his boot passing him on the rumble stripes going into turn 5 at Laguna. I usually dive inside, but sometimes guys leave room on the outside then swing back across last minute to the set up for the corner...they are rookies...so he gets a rumble strips pass
NOW LET'S GET BACK TO THE FZ10 DISCUSSION

0612170945 by AFM470, on Flickr

This is some guy on a badass Ducati changing his lines last minute...no problem for me. He didn't have a problem with the pass and neither did the instructors or trackday organizers. So who else has a FZ10...I'm looking for some new mods and any improvements done by some on FZ10A's best. I want to thank everyone for replying...you too barryc. Keep On Riding

0612170938 by AFM470, on Flickr

👍 I’m sorry I thought you were a mere mortal, excuse me.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:54 PM   #20
AFM674

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc View Post
👍 I’m sorry I thought you were a mere mortal, excuse me.
Touché...good one Barry. Trackdays aren't for playing around though...I'm sorry. You've got bikes that go 190-200mph etc...no ride in the park. Let's keep it about my FZ10 and any members who may have one please comment. No more talk about my trackday shenanigans or someones lack there of.

This bad boy below is what the thread was about. This is it how I bought it. I have 4k in parts in the garage already and another 3k going in over the winter. I just like tuning fork and being different. She bad now and will hold her own against the Euros. When I'm done she'll be real close...minus about 8-10 ponies...I can deal with this. Seriously...thanks for all comments...I'm a big boy and can take the occasional off topic banter/debate. We're all loyal motorcyclist and civilized...right.

0725181109b by AFM470, on Flickr

https://youtu.be/XAvqCHxZM98 2017 1100cc V4 Factory dyno

09' FZ1

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion