register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Parts & Accessories > Gen 2 Parts & Accessories

Old 10-07-2018, 07:06 PM   #1
AFM674
Getting into turn 4 at Sonoma

Location: Santa Cruz, Ca-New Gen3 17' FZ10-trick already, but big mods are coming. My FZ1 smokes it right now.
Best GPS Anti Theft Tracker

I thought my bike was gone for good, but got lucky that the dude that pushed it out of my driveway when I had made a huge mistake of leaving out overnight. I think it was a homeless guy or something...definitely not a serious motorcycle thief. I think he got tired of pushing it and left it on the next block. I was very luck to get it back with no damage. Now I'm even afraid to even go in a store for a lengthy period of time. I have good insurance, but I have too much invested in this bike and don't want to deal with an insurance claim. So the question is Fizzers...who has the best, cheapest GPS tracker that's battery operated...in case the bike isn't started...I want to find my bike asap. I also want to know if a thief can use a device to check if a bike has a tracker on it and disable it?

I don't mind paying a small monthly fee...$10.00 a month and $50-$100 for the tracker. Let me know if any of you have one or know of a solid system.

09' FZ1
Mods:CRG Levers - Sargent Seats - SS Lines F&R - EBC R Rotor - Vesrah XX Pads - Braking SK2 Frt Rotors - Ohlins Shock - 08 R1 forks - K-Tech 24SSRK C & R Valves - Vortex R/Sets, Apex clipons - Superlite 44t Rear & 15t C/S - 520 ERV3 Gold Chain - Gear Indicator - Graves Full Exh - Ivanized ECU - Hyper Pro Damper - Annitori QS - Graves Stacks - BMC Filter/Airbox Mod - Brembo RCS19 - 1/6 R6 throttle - ZG DB Screen.
AFM674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:04 PM   #2
firefly
2004 FZ1

try one of these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Loud-Alarm-...b&vxp=mtr#rwid
firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:20 PM   #3
AFM674

Location: Santa Cruz, Ca-New Gen3 17' FZ10-trick already, but big mods are coming. My FZ1 smokes it right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly View Post
Thanks...yes I've thought about regular alarms like this and other motion alarms etc. What I'm looking for is something to track via gps in the event some thieves throw my bike in a truck and drive off even with an alarm going off...I want to be able to track my bike on a phone app and find the bike asap.
I'm sure someone has one on there bike and will chime in. I'll keep searching google for what I want.

Something like this...
https://www.spytec.com/gl-200-real-t...UaAjGaEALw_wcB

09' FZ1
Mods:CRG Levers - Sargent Seats - SS Lines F&R - EBC R Rotor - Vesrah XX Pads - Braking SK2 Frt Rotors - Ohlins Shock - 08 R1 forks - K-Tech 24SSRK C & R Valves - Vortex R/Sets, Apex clipons - Superlite 44t Rear & 15t C/S - 520 ERV3 Gold Chain - Gear Indicator - Graves Full Exh - Ivanized ECU - Hyper Pro Damper - Annitori QS - Graves Stacks - BMC Filter/Airbox Mod - Brembo RCS19 - 1/6 R6 throttle - ZG DB Screen.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:27 PM   #4
firefly
2004 FZ1

make sure it is 4G

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...er&_sacat=3270
firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:47 PM   #5
Desmo
Mein Führer!

Buyer beware on all of this stuff.

My .02
Old 10-08-2018, 01:47 AM   #6
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

I’m not that familiar with brands, but choose one that offers real time tracking. Some of the cheaper gps units will only give you a location ping every couple minutes. Useless if you’re trying to run down the guy that just took off with your bike.

For extra security, you could always do something like a Scorpio alarm. They sell plug and play harnesses for most bikes, I’ve heard the alarm is quite sensitive on some alarm models, but the 2 way paging will let you know if someone’s messing with your bike. Some of their alarms have a immobilizer as well, up to you if you like that feature.

Next thread idea: How do I manage my parasitic draw?
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:54 AM   #7
AFM674

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
Buyer beware on all of this stuff.

My .02
Desmo...please explain. Is it that they raise the cost of service after a year and it can cost $200-$300 per year for the service. I just want something like Lo-Jack to actually recover my bike from thieves. Maybe a good alarm is all I need?

09' FZ1
Old 10-08-2018, 10:42 AM   #8
Desmo
Mein Führer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFM674 View Post
Desmo...please explain. Is it that they raise the cost of service after a year and it can cost $200-$300 per year for the service. I just want something like Lo-Jack to actually recover my bike from thieves. Maybe a good alarm is all I need?
To clarify, I'm not familiar with any of the products mentioned nor their pricing.

My point is simply this, I have my doubts that some of these cheap trackers are worth a dime.

If they want your bike, they'll take it. Alarm or no. IMO your best bet is to make it less easy to steal than another one. Dual high quality Ulocks, always lock it TO something etc.

I looked up Lo-Jack and see they don't sell products for bikes anymore.

Are there any "services" like lo-jack for bikes at all?

Quote:
I had made a huge mistake of leaving out overnight
Yah, don't do that anymore!! (I think most bike thieves are likely opportunists as opposed to professionals)

I parked my 87 Hurricane 1000 one night in my apt carport way back when. Didn't lock it. And I think I may have even left the freakin key in it.

Yah, it was gone the next day.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #9
Dicko
Way more sport than tourer

I run one of these.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/3g-gps-veh...acker/p/LA9026

It needs a sim card installed with a data content, I just get a pre paid sim card and top it up each year. this is real time tracking and you can look back over the past 3 days. I hide the device and have spliced in the wiring so that a quick look won't reveal it is there (the guys who did the service didn't notice). It has it's own battery back up too.

Having one of these reduces my insurance costs as well, so it may be worth checking with your insurer if they will also reduce fees if the bike has a tracker installed.

I can track it from my phone or PC by logging onto an app or website and entering the code. I also use it to map out my rides. when I ride new roads with friends and want to know which were the fun ones I can go back and see!

There is no fee for the app or to track it, just the purchase fee and the upkeep on the sim card data plan which is minimal, if you don't track it, it won't use data and no need to top up. When you track it, it uploads data, so you will use data off the sim.

I had a look at quite a few and this turned out to be the best option available when I bought mine.
Brembo 16mm Radial MC, ASV short Levers, Brembo GP4-RX calipers, Hell braided lines, R1 Fender, Ohlins FGRT 206 forks, Ohlins shock (tuned - Racebike Services), Marchesini rims, Vortex 48t sprocket, Arrow Headers - Micron GP slipon, tailtidy, Rizoma (risers, conical bars, Lux grips, bar ends, 744 mirrors, fluid reservoir, Rev rearsets/B Pro pegs), Speedo healer, BMC filter, AIS Block off, PCV (tuned - Neville Lush Racing), Pirelli DR III, Ivan's ECU, GF-Design LED Blinkers, DID gold chain
Dicko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:41 PM   #10
AFM674

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
To clarify, I'm not familiar with any of the products mentioned nor their pricing.

My point is simply this, I have my doubts that some of these cheap trackers are worth a dime.

If they want your bike, they'll take it. Alarm or no. IMO your best bet is to make it less easy to steal than another one. Dual high quality Ulocks, always lock it TO something etc.

I looked up Lo-Jack and see they don't sell products for bikes anymore.

Are there any "services" like lo-jack for bikes at all?

Yah, don't do that anymore!! (I think most bike thieves are likely opportunists as opposed to professionals)

I parked my 87 Hurricane 1000 one night in my apt carport way back when. Didn't lock it. And I think I may have even left the freakin key in it.

Yah, it was gone the next day.
Thanks Desmo...I'll find manual ways to protect it...locks etc. But I'm going to check out Dicko's option. If some bastards pick the bike up and throw it in a van driving off with my alarm going off and paging me...I want to be able to put the code in my phone a have real time tracking and go catch those MFer's. Of course you call the police and inform them of your location. I hate thieves and I hate not getting my full value of all my mods from my insurance company. They always want receipts etc. I don't always have all my paperwork on parts I bought (8) yrs ago. Thanks again D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
I run one of these.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/3g-gps-veh...acker/p/LA9026

It needs a sim card installed with a data content, I just get a pre paid sim card and top it up each year. this is real time tracking and you can look back over the past 3 days. I hide the device and have spliced in the wiring so that a quick look won't reveal it is there (the guys who did the service didn't notice). It has it's own battery back up too.

Having one of these reduces my insurance costs as well, so it may be worth checking with your insurer if they will also reduce fees if the bike has a tracker installed.

I can track it from my phone or PC by logging onto an app or website and entering the code. I also use it to map out my rides. when I ride new roads with friends and want to know which were the fun ones I can go back and see!

There is no fee for the app or to track it, just the purchase fee and the upkeep on the sim card data plan which is minimal, if you don't track it, it won't use data and no need to top up. When you track it, it uploads data, so you will use data off the sim.

I had a look at quite a few and this turned out to be the best option available when I bought mine.
Thanks Dicko...I'm definitely going to check this out. I was told I need 4G? Later

09' FZ1
Old 10-12-2018, 07:41 AM   #11
Desmo
Mein Führer!

Doesn’t appear that service is offered in the US.

http://www.response1gps.com
Old 10-12-2018, 08:00 AM   #12
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

From what I’ve seen, generally speaking, you don’t want your bike back after it’s been stolen. Filing a claim and being fairly paid, is more of a matter of how good your insurance agent/company is. Keep all receipts of mods along with an up-to-date photo of the bike and you should be fine. The whole “tracking” and alarm thing is not worth the hassle, IMO.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #13
Wayne-O
Traffic!!! Ya gotta love it.

The satisfaction of catching the guy stealing your ride.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:06 AM   #14
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne-O View Post
The satisfaction of catching the guy stealing your ride.
Anymore, unless the perp's a repeat offender that the court system really wants to prosecute, he/she will just get their hand slapped and sent on their merry way.

I won't mention in public what your private retaliation measures could be, but that's an option if you choose to go that route.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Parts & Accessories > Gen 2 Parts & Accessories