click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 2 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering

Old 04-19-2017, 04:44 PM   #41
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

Yup, comfort and confidence is 99% for me. I know that Metzler feel and can run the edges until it is toast. Why switch for $20 ?
Old 04-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #42
CopperDog

I am looking for some opinions on the Road Smart tires from you guys as I have no experience with them. Taking a long trip on my C14, half of which will be slab, the rest will be a little of the fun stuff but not really pushing. The Road Smart 2's are on sale and I can get a set, (190/55 rear + Front) for 182.00 delivered, is this a good deal or are they really this inexpensive? How will they do on the 680 pound beast?

Thanks,
Pat
P.S., they got the 180/55 set for 180 delivered, just sayin'.
CopperDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:54 PM   #43
glory racing

Mounted up a set of the RS3's today and they went on without a hitch. Prayer does work cause I been praying for easy mounting since I bought a couple sets! There must have been something weird with the set of RS2's that just did not want to mount.

Will be riding this weekend so will see how they do compared to the T30's. The following weekend will be several 'on the gas' rides so I expect them to be done and a report to follow.
glory racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:16 PM   #44
Gamecock
Retro Goodness!

I've had the 1's and now the 2's (on a internet special) and no issues. Ride 'em hard, easy, no scary moments or funny wear.

To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,...... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive.
Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:16 PM   #45
loosenut
Now where did that come from?

They should work fine on the C14. I ride mine hard.

I have no motorcycles.

2004 GasGas Pampera 280 (hers)[/color]
loosenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:39 PM   #46
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

Quote:
Originally Posted by glory racing View Post
Mounted up a set of the RS3's today and they went on without a hitch. Prayer does work cause I been praying for easy mounting since I bought a couple sets! There must have been something weird with the set of RS2's that just did not want to mount.

Will be riding this weekend so will see how they do compared to the T30's. The following weekend will be several 'on the gas' rides so I expect them to be done and a report to follow.
Good to know. 2 sets in the que because rebates rock, let us know how they feel. Your mileage may vary.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:02 AM   #47
DocShred

Quote:

Running T30's also with a set of RS3 ready to be mounted, soo how do they compare???
DocShred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:28 AM   #48
glory racing

So far I like the RS3's. A better analysis should be coming after this weekends rides.

I did notice that after the initial turn in of about 1/3 of lean angle, the bike would tend to fall into the corner. Felt odd/different/unnerving at first but I got used to it and it became a non issue.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:31 PM   #49
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

Oh great, odd and unnerving are just what I want in a motorcycle tire. They are next in the rotation...my roads are cold and unhappy now, we shall see.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:39 PM   #50
Fitty
Let's Ride!

FWIW I love the way the RS3s turn in, but then it's all I've used for a while now.

Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:40 PM   #51
glory racing

Once you know it is there it is no big deal...just makes lean in easier. Plus if you ever have to 'lay it down' to avoid an accident it should be easier!!!
Old 10-16-2017, 06:42 PM   #52
Fitty
Let's Ride!

Exactly!

Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:58 AM   #53
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Paging glory! How's the RS3's? Comparison to the Bridsgestone/Pirelli/Michelins you've run?
Old 05-16-2019, 09:36 AM   #54
glory racing

OK...just changed out the RS3's. Exactly 2months and 2,000 miles. That is a bit more mileage than usual but I did ride a few commute's which could have boosted the mileage. There was probably another few miles in them but needed to go ahead and change due to an upcoming 4 day ride.
No slips anywhere.
I did not really get comfortable with the easy front tip in. Matter of fact, I went for a test ride on the new t31's and couldn't help but grin with the turn in feeling on them. Consistent tip from initial to full lean....sweet.
The rear developed the scalloped edge just like the previous RS3 I had. So apparently it is a trait of the RS3. There is a thread around here somewhere that shows the unusual wear and Dunlops comments.

Based on ride, miles, cost, no unusual wear, etc...T31's will again be my goto tires. When I decide to step up to a higher priced tire I will give the Continental Road Attack 3 a try. Continue to hear good reports on them.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:51 AM   #55
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Ugh.... That's 2,000 miles on relatively damp, cool road temps. I'll lol for ya.

Your report tells me all I need to know.
Neanderthal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #56
Wonger

Quote:
OK...just changed out the RS3's. Exactly 2months and 2,000 miles. That is a bit more mileage than usual but I did ride a few commute's which could have boosted the mileage. There was probably another few miles in them but needed to go ahead and change due to an upcoming 4 day ride.
No slips anywhere.
I did not really get comfortable with the easy front tip in. Matter of fact, I went for a test ride on the new t31's and couldn't help but grin with the turn in feeling on them. Consistent tip from initial to full lean....sweet.
The rear developed the scalloped edge just like the previous RS3 I had. So apparently it is a trait of the RS3. There is a thread around here somewhere that shows the unusual wear and Dunlops comments.

Based on ride, miles, cost, no unusual wear, etc...T31's will again be my goto tires. When I decide to step up to a higher priced tire I will give the Continental Road Attack 3 a try. Continue to hear good reports on them.
Want to share a pic of the scalloping. Different carcasses may require different damping settings. Q3+ vs S22 or RS10 for example. I wish I could put in more rebound damping on my XR beyond the dynamic setting as the rear edges of the tread are raised=rebound too fast.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:01 PM   #57
glory racing

Sorry but I am not smart enough to locate the thread. Basically it was about a 3/4 inch wide depression in the rear tire just inside of the sidewall.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:38 PM   #58
glory racing

Doh.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:38 PM   #59
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Quote:
Sorry but I am not smart enough to locate the thread. Basically it was about a 3/4 inch wide depression in the rear tire just inside of the sidewall.
Maybe this one?

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=145593
Old 05-16-2019, 02:48 PM   #60
glory racing

That's it...you sir are a great American.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 2 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering