make a donation to the fz1oa
fz1oa chat
fz1oa picture uploader
maintain your own photo albums
locate fz1oa members
search the entire board
click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2020, 05:18 PM   #61
ORBlackFZ1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon Metro Area
Posts: 111
Oops,

In the "top" photo, I noticed after cleaning that I missed an air jet (#29 Jet, Main #125, 1HX-14231-25-00) https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oe...f25/carburetor. I took out the jet and both the jet and the orifice were full of gunk. I cleaned both of them with carb cleaner and compressed air.

I will have to remember to remove that jet for the next three (3) carbs.

Eric

Last edited by ORBlackFZ1; 02-29-2020 at 07:14 PM.
ORBlackFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:26 AM   #62
oldjeep
Registered User
 
oldjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Victoria, MN
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORBlackFZ1 View Post
Chuck:

Thanks for the tip on the jet screwdriver. I did some Google searching and didn't find anything specific for the FZ1 jet sizes.

Eric
Looks like you got it figured out. The little jet screwdriver i have says briggs and stratton on it fwiw
__________________
Chuck P
2003 FZ1
2004 DL1000
http://www.oldjeep.com
oldjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:59 AM   #63
ORBlackFZ1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon Metro Area
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeep View Post
Looks like you got it figured out. The little jet screwdriver i have says briggs and stratton on it fwiw
Chuck:

Is one of these the one you have?

Briggs and Stratton Jet Screwdriver 19061

https://shop.briggsandstratton.com/p...et-screwdriver

Briggs and Stratton Large Jet Carburetor Screwdriver 19062

https://shop.briggsandstratton.com/p...or-screwdriver

Eric
ORBlackFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:51 PM   #64
oldjeep
Registered User
 
oldjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Victoria, MN
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORBlackFZ1 View Post
Chuck:

Is one of these the one you have?

Briggs and Stratton Jet Screwdriver 19061

https://shop.briggsandstratton.com/p...et-screwdriver

Briggs and Stratton Large Jet Carburetor Screwdriver 19062

https://shop.briggsandstratton.com/p...or-screwdriver

Eric
Looks like that, couldn't tell you which one since I have had it for years. I think I got it at menards many years ago for some snowmobile carbs.
__________________
Chuck P
2003 FZ1
2004 DL1000
http://www.oldjeep.com
oldjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:09 PM   #65
ORBlackFZ1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon Metro Area
Posts: 111
Two More Questions

Question 1 - I am not sure which way is up for #17 Nozzle (Black Arrow). It goes in before #9 holder and #11 Main Jet. There appears to be a flat side and a concave side. I assume that the flat side goes toward the Main Jet (bottom of the carb) and the concave goes up. (I really need to pay more attention when I disassemble the next carb.)

Can anyone confirm the direction of #17 Nozzle (Black Arrow)?

Question 2 - Needle holder o-ring (green arrow). My o-ring appears to be pretty hard. The outside diameter (OD) measures 8.5mm. Has anyone replaced theirs yet? I found a 9.0mm OD o-ring (red arrow) in the metric o-ring kit I purchased. I don't believe having this o-ring be hard is going to effect much, because it just appears to be a way to hold the needle in. There does not appear to be any pressure, except for the plastic slot it locks into.

Let me know if you think I should change the o-ring. The Yamaha parts list does not list the ability to just purchase the o-ring.

Thanks,
Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0707_Shrunk.jpg (190.6 KB, 80 views)
ORBlackFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:59 PM   #66
ORBlackFZ1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon Metro Area
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORBlackFZ1 View Post
Question 1 - I am not sure which way is up for #17 Nozzle (Black Arrow). It goes in before #9 holder and #11 Main Jet. There appears to be a flat side and a concave side. I assume that the flat side goes toward the Main Jet (bottom of the carb) and the concave goes up. (I really need to pay more attention when I disassemble the next carb.)

Can anyone confirm the direction of #17 Nozzle (Black Arrow)?
I found my answer in the next carb. My assumption was correct. The concave side goes up.

Eric
ORBlackFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:25 AM   #67
ORBlackFZ1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon Metro Area
Posts: 111
Hi everyone:

I have been getting confused during installation of the Needle Jet and the Main Jet. The Main Jet has a bigger hole in it than the Needle Jet, which I finally got through my head. I still kept getting confused on where they went in the carb. I finally figured out why I was getting confused.

I was using this photo http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/i...ffloatbowl.jpg and Page 7-8 of the FZ1 Service manual.

The first photo shows both the diagram from the Service Manual and the photo from Pat's web site, orientated with the mixture screw toward the bottom.

The second photo shows just the diagram from the Service Manual.

The third photo shows just the photo from Pat's web site.

Notice that the Service Manual has:
1. The Needle Jet 1 specified where Pat's photo shows Main Jet.
2. The Main Jet 3 where Pat's photo shows Needle Jet.

Just a small typo in the Service Manual. Maybe there is a newer revised edition that I should be using....or just forget about the Service Manual and use Pat's excellent documentation instead...

Thanks Pat your documentation is greatly appreciated!

My FZ1 Service Manual has a Copyright of Jan 2001 and the following codes on the front LIT-11616-14-48 and 5LV-28-197 E0.

Two (2) carbs cleaned and assembled, only two (2) more to go. I sure hope I took enough photos to get the final assembly complete...

Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0711_Shrunk.jpg (184.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0712_Shrunk.jpg (160.2 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0713_Shrunk.jpg (187.5 KB, 76 views)
ORBlackFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:45 AM   #68
ORBlackFZ1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon Metro Area
Posts: 111
https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oe...f25/carburetor

28 . . Jet, Main (#85) 1HX-14231-17-00
29 . . Jet, Main (#125) 1HX-14231-25-00

Note that these two (2) parts are the same except for the size of the orifice. #29 has the larger of the two (2) orifices and it goes in the top. #28 has the smaller orifice and it goes on the air intake side.

I am not sure what happens if they get switched, but I am not ready to experiment and find out.

Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0702_Shrunk_Arrow.jpg (171.8 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0703_Shrunk_Arrow.jpg (174.3 KB, 77 views)
ORBlackFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:57 AM   #69
oldjeep
Registered User
 
oldjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Victoria, MN
Posts: 711
Those pictures of the jets seem to be showing the same things to me.
__________________
Chuck P
2003 FZ1
2004 DL1000
http://www.oldjeep.com
oldjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:26 AM   #70
ORBlackFZ1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon Metro Area
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeep View Post
Those pictures of the jets seem to be showing the same things to me.
Chuck:

Are you referring to the post with the Main and the Needle notations switched?

Maybe, I am just confused....I looked at them again this morning and it still looks like the service manual has them switched...but what do I know, I am a Newbie at this. Good thing I don't make a living at this! I wouldn't even be able to fill the tank up.

Eric
ORBlackFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:33 PM   #71
ORBlackFZ1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon Metro Area
Posts: 111
Well, I guess I should have read the text before the photo a little closer... "Please note that the drawing on Page 7-8 of the Service Manual is an incorrect depiction of the location of the needle, pilot, and main jets. "

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/j...tallation.html

I am just learning all kinds of things....Now, if I could just get these carbs back together and have them work like new...the odds have to be better than winning the lottery, right?

Eric
ORBlackFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:02 AM   #72
arkie6
Registered User
 
arkie6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Russellville, AR
Posts: 5,567
Both the manual and Pat's photo are wrong regarding the needle jet. The needle jet is under the main jet. The slide needle passes through the needle jet, which is directly in line with the main jet. The jet labeled as the needle jet is actually the starter jet (it comes into play when you pull on the starter/enrichment lever).
arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:50 AM   #73
Pat Glenn
Everything's Just Ducky
 
Pat Glenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Southern California
Posts: 15,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
Both the manual and Pat's photo are wrong regarding the needle jet. The needle jet is under the main jet. The slide needle passes through the needle jet, which is directly in line with the main jet. The jet labeled as the needle jet is actually the starter jet (it comes into play when you pull on the starter/enrichment lever).
I suppose I ought to get around to fixing that one of these days.

Pat
Pat Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 01:29 PM   #74
ORBlackFZ1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon Metro Area
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
Both the manual and Pat's photo are wrong regarding the needle jet. The needle jet is under the main jet. The slide needle passes through the needle jet, which is directly in line with the main jet. The jet labeled as the needle jet is actually the starter jet (it comes into play when you pull on the starter/enrichment lever).
Arkie:

Thank you very much. I am learning way too much for my aged brain cells to hold on to. But keep that information coming and I can at least keep documented notes...photos work also, if I can find them....Now where did I leave my glasses, again?

Eric
ORBlackFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 01:44 PM   #75
ORBlackFZ1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon Metro Area
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Glenn View Post
I suppose I ought to get around to fixing that one of these days.

Pat
Pat:

I can't begin to appreciate how much time and effort you have contributed to the FZ1 community. A big THANK YOU for all that you have done helping the community and me personally.

When I purchased your CD in 2002 or 2003, I had no idea that I would be using it to this level. I thought maybe an oil change or two. I originally had Ivan install his kit in my carbs. It was challenging enough just to kit the carbs out. 18 years later...Me? Rebuilding my carbs? Yeah, right...

So, change the photo, when you feel like changing it. If a newbie mechanic like me can figure out which jet goes where, most FZ1 owners should be able to...

Now, if I can just figure out where the two (2) small washers go that were in the bottom of my Ultrasound Bath when I drained it. I think they go on the Needle below the nylon spacer, but I will know better when I disassembly Carb #3. (I am sure glad I didn't wait until the all four (4) carbs were cleaned to drain the Ultrasound cleaner.)

Thanks again,
Eric
ORBlackFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:01 PM   #76
redseal
Registered User
 
redseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Winter Haven,FL
Posts: 538
Those little washers could also be from the pilot srews. Exact same thing happened to me last week...found some washers and a small o-ring.
redseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 04:50 PM   #77
Pat Glenn
Everything's Just Ducky
 
Pat Glenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Southern California
Posts: 15,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORBlackFZ1 View Post
Pat:

I can't begin to appreciate how much time and effort you have contributed to the FZ1 community. A big THANK YOU for all that you have done helping the community and me personally.

When I purchased your CD in 2002 or 2003, I had no idea that I would be using it to this level. I thought maybe an oil change or two. I originally had Ivan install his kit in my carbs. It was challenging enough just to kit the carbs out. 18 years later...Me? Rebuilding my carbs? Yeah, right...

So, change the photo, when you feel like changing it. If a newbie mechanic like me can figure out which jet goes where, most FZ1 owners should be able to...

Now, if I can just figure out where the two (2) small washers go that were in the bottom of my Ultrasound Bath when I drained it. I think they go on the Needle below the nylon spacer, but I will know better when I disassembly Carb #3. (I am sure glad I didn't wait until the all four (4) carbs were cleaned to drain the Ultrasound cleaner.)

Thanks again,
Eric


Pat
Pat Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:50 PM   #78
ORBlackFZ1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon Metro Area
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by redseal View Post
Those little washers could also be from the pilot srews. Exact same thing happened to me last week...found some washers and a small o-ring.
Redseal:

https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oe...f25/carburetor

Interesting...you are thinking the washers may be from the mixture screw (#8)? I will have to check that out. I thought they would be from the Needle set (#7), right below the nylon spacer. I will post when I figure it out.

I also found one (1) small o-ring (#35) after disassembling the diaphragm cover. It looks like it goes in the small opening on the diaphragm rim. I am not sure what it does, but it was in pretty good shape, so I just put some o-ring lube on it and put back in the small indentation.

Eric
ORBlackFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:22 PM   #79
redseal
Registered User
 
redseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Winter Haven,FL
Posts: 538
It very well could be from the needle #7. Mine were from #8.
The other little o-ring you talked about does indeed go on the top of carb in the little recess. Heard its not needed but I always use them.
redseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:39 PM   #80
ORBlackFZ1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon Metro Area
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by redseal View Post
It very well could be from the needle #7. Mine were from #8.
The other little o-ring you talked about does indeed go on the top of carb in the little recess. Heard its not needed but I always use them.
Redseal:

You were right! I now know where the washer goes. The Pilot Screw Set (#8 - 5MP-14105-00-00) has a small washer and an O-Ring. Darn! I don't know what happened to the O-Ring! The o-ring that I removed from Carb #3 was pretty hard. I guess I will have to place another order with McMaster-Carr. A pack of 50 is $4.97 + shipping. Yamaha wants $5.94 for one (1) Pilot Screw Set.

I measured the existing O-Ring as 1.0mm Thickness x 2.0mm Inside Diameter x 5.25mm Outside Diameter with my metric dial calipers.

McMaster-Carr lists the closest 1mm thick like this:

Inside Diameter
Outside Diameter
Hardness
Specifications Met
Temperature Range, F
Color
Pkg. Qty.
Part #
Price/Pkg

3.3 5.3 Durometer 70A (Medium) ASTM D2000, SAE J200 -20° to 250° Black 50 9262K114 4.97

None of their sizes lists exactly what I measured.

Does anyone know if that is the correct O-Ring?

Thanks,
Eric
ORBlackFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:06 AM.


Questions? Comments?
Click on name below to contact via PM
Rabeet (Admin) Desmo (Admin)

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website and Message Board Contents Copyright 2001-2007 FZ1OA
The marks YAMAHA® and FZ1® are used under license from Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A.
The information on this web site is NOT approved or endorsed by Yamaha Motor Corporation in any way.
Page generated in 0.09789 seconds with 10 queries