register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Tips & Techniques

Old 08-13-2017, 11:18 AM   #41
firefly
2004 FZ1

I would start with slow speed tight maneuvering, we all want to go fast but most don't have the basic slow maneuvering / tight turning skills which involve leaning.

learn to stop quickly, make sharp turns from a stop. after all developing skills for everyday riding situations is way valuable than scraping pegs or going fast on a track.

surface street riding is where most accidents happen, scrapping pegs & leaning the bike doesn't help there at all.

I see many high end bikes ridden by riders that should never ride bikes, they go fast, scrape pegs & crash in stationary objects.

lastly having a well-adjusted suspension, good brakes, proper tire pressure & the right handle bar (to your dimensions ) make a huge difference in your control over the bike.
also learn to keep your elbows bent not locked in extension, that & torso side to side shifting will improve your turning skills.
Physical fitness plays an important role in you overall skills instead of sitting on the bike like a sand bag.

Last edited by firefly; 08-13-2017 at 11:35 AM.
firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:49 AM   #42
outlaws Justice
Outlaws Justice

Take some training and it does not have to be a track class. I actually feel it is better to take a parking lot type class prior to a track class, but both can be a tremendous benefit.

Fear is not real, the only place that fear can exist is in our thoughts of future, it is the product of our imagination causing us to fear the things that do not exist and may not ever exist. That is near insanity. Danger on the other hand is very real but fear is a choice. Dealing with Fear and Anxiety can often be a psychological barrier that can hinder your ability and or progress in riding skills.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:48 AM   #43
firefly
2004 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaws Justice View Post
Take some training and it does not have to be a track class. I actually feel it is better to take a parking lot type class prior to a track class, but both can be a tremendous benefit.

Fear is not real, the only place that fear can exist is in our thoughts of future, it is the product of our imagination causing us to fear the things that do not exist and may not ever exist. That is near insanity. Danger on the other hand is very real but fear is a choice. Dealing with Fear and Anxiety can often be a psychological barrier that can hinder your ability and or progress in riding skills.
You are absolutely spot on, parking lot and very low speed maneuvering made a huge difference with me, I am a street rider and need all the skills I can get to avoid all these distracted drivers texting, I make my own path (the least flow resistance) I try to be smooth and painless to car drivers.

I noticed leaning the bike at high speeds got easier as I became more confident in very slow maneuvers, I am practicing tight controlled turns in every turn possible, to filter between cars here in Los Angeles you have to make your calculations quick & on the flight, precision is a must, timing & speed is an art, skills, good judgment & most importantly know your limits.

do you recommend a course in Los Angeles that would sharpen my skills a little?
firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:17 AM   #44
PJFZ1
Doing the jig!

BikeJunky, are you still here?

I'd insert something witty here, but just don't have it at the moment.. add bourbon and please stand by!

sportbikes4hire.com

http://www.sportbikes4hireshop.com/
PJFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:16 AM   #45
fermic37

Might still be wiring up his under glow lights!
fermic37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:37 AM   #46
okrider

I was afraid of leaning my bike until I did a trip to the Tail of the Dragon (went in March, not busy). On the way to the dragon and at the dragon, the tight corners basically forced me to lean the bike more and more because you have to be going <20mph to not lean which you wouldn't do, my average speed was about 35mph. Initially, I had trouble getting stuck looking at trees and just things I want to avoid, but after 1-2 close calls, learned not to do that. Started to be able to read corners a little better (when is it getting tighter, when is it opening up).

A year later (I hit the local twisties about once a month in that year), I went to the California Superbike School, renting one of their S1000RRs. The nice thing about that course is that it's a controlled environment (nobody coming in the other direction), on a very technologically advanced bike with lots of safety features. Plus the track and the tires allow you to feel comfortable leaning the bike. I'm glad I went to the dragon first to get rid of the initial scare, it would've been difficult on the track with lots of people racing around me.

The major thing I learned at CSS was to not give throttle while leaning the bike. I never thought about the forces it puts on the rear tires and that it could be dangerous to do both at the same time. Flicking the bike made cornering much more fun as well.

I would get Twist of the Wrist book or watch the movie and try to see what you can learn and go from there.
YouTube Channel - OK Rider
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:48 PM   #47
glory racing

Just fyi...you can throttle while the bike is leaned over. I do it almost every corner. Maintenance throttle through the apex and roll on increase as you begin to stand the bike up. Obviously however you cannot throttle more than the tire will hold. Experience will give you the feel for how much. Also with all the tech available now with new bikes (traction control, power modes and whatever else they may come up with) it is a skill that you do not have to master. This will allow you to focus on another aspect of the ride.
Enjoy!
glory racing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:10 PM   #48
jredford
Musical Metal

I would happily trade 1 highside for 100 lowsides.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
2006 sv 650 race bike
2007 CRF450X
2008 Honda Ruckus
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:55 PM   #49
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glory racing View Post
Just fyi...you can throttle while the bike is leaned over. I do it almost every corner. Maintenance throttle through the apex and roll on increase as you begin to stand the bike up. Obviously however you cannot throttle more than the tire will hold. Experience will give you the feel for how much. Also with all the tech available now with new bikes (traction control, power modes and whatever else they may come up with) it is a skill that you do not have to master. This will allow you to focus on another aspect of the ride.
Enjoy!
It's actually a very effective and natural way to straighten the bike up. I do it at the track all the time, pulls the bike up and pushes it out to the edge coming out of a curve. Physics is your friend. Just don't overdue the throttle and it'll do good things.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:14 PM   #50
glory racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jredford View Post
I would happily trade 1 highside for 100 lowsides.
You haven't lived if you haven't high sided a motorcycle!
Old 09-21-2017, 07:48 AM   #51
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Enjoy!
Exactly. As you lean and the contact circle gets smaller, you need to slightly add some throttle, otherwise you will decelerate and use some of your traction budget. Keep the accel/decel neutral, and you have max traxxion for the lean.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:40 AM   #52
okrider

Maybe I was unclear, I meant adding throttle while increasing lean angle. Come to the corner, lean the bike, then apply throttle is how I was taught it's supposed to be. I'm not talking about giving more throttle while the bike is leaned, that's normal. Talking about increasing throttle and increasing lean angle at the same time.

They taught that doing both at the same time will put too much outward force on the rear tire, may cause lowside.
YouTube Channel - OK Rider
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:02 PM   #53
jredford
Musical Metal

Quote:
You haven't lived if you haven't high sided a motorcycle!
Man they are painful...that initial realization you are airborne but have to land.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
2006 sv 650 race bike
2007 CRF450X
2008 Honda Ruckus
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:55 PM   #54
glory racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jredford View Post
Man they are painful...that initial realization you are airborne but have to land.
And the confusion of "How did I get here? I was riding along then in an instant...GET OFF NOW!!!!"

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Tips & Techniques