click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion

Old 09-12-2019, 04:17 PM   #21
WileyLogHomes
Need a Log Home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
When I bought my kids their first Honda 50, it came with a video (tape), "Stupid hurts."

Well done, point made.
I still have a Honda "Stupid hurts" sticker in the form of a band aid on my hard hat for felling trees
Old 09-12-2019, 04:39 PM   #22
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

If you leave everything on there, and it's working perfect.... You'd be very very lucky to see $3k for it. That said, if you put it almost entirely back to stock.... You'll likely get around $1800 for it very easily. And have well over $1k in parts to sell off.
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:23 PM   #23
Desmo
Hello ladies...

Quote:
I've also never believed in the old wives tale, "It's not if you go down, it's when.".
Interesting.

I too remember this adage back in the day. And I crashed within a few months of having my brand new bike. I had zero training. Not sure any existed then. Certainly no one at the Honda shop told me about any.

I crashed on an off ramp on the Bay Bridge. No idea what happened. Bam. On the ground.

I think that old adage is likely pretty accurate though. Noobs have no idea what they are doing and the odds of falling off are high. Especially without any training

I crashed three times on the road where it was my fault. Or I couldn’t figure out what the reason was. That happened within the first 3 years I rode. After I started doing track days and racing I never crashed again.

Oh, I was also hit by a drunk driver once. Was that my fault? I don’t think so.

A good friend of mine who was a far better rider than me came around a corner one day to find the road covered in redimix. Boom. Down he went.

Shit like that you can’t prepare for. Those who have X hundreds of thousands of miles with no crashes are also very lucky.

Ymmv.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:01 PM   #24
Stella Blue
Yucksamush

Thanks for straightening me out, Des! I thought that particular old wives tale was matrimonial advice for newlyweds!
Stella Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:13 PM   #25
flasher

This thread started out about how to sell a bike but damn this could get deep and philosophical quick...

No question you can't live your life continually fearing the reaper. He will get us all, one way or another. I recently heard a story about an offshore commercial diver who did pipeline repair work. That is, he would be hundreds of feet underwater in pitch blackness and then have to crawl dozens of feet or more inside of a 3 foot diameter oil pipeline. That sort of job pays you by the foot that you have to travel inside the pipe. By far one of the most dangerous jobs you can do. Anyhow, he decided to quit that job so he could go back to nursing school cause his wife got pregnant. On the way from his car to the school one day mid-semester, he got struck by lightning and died. You couldn't make this shit up!

But I have had to make a lot of phone calls to wives and children of motorcyclists that start off with "I have some very terrible news". Didn't seem to matter if they seemed young and stupid or older and experienced. Obviously, you do the best to protect yourself with gear and safe riding, but at the end of the day, your risks are higher on a bike regardless. You can choose to undertake those risks or not. I see a skewed cross-section of riders, and if you are seeing me, something has gone wrong. But still, many people I know who work in the ER or trauma surgery had bikes. Nearly all have given them up after a few years in the business.

Anyhow, certainly not attempting to judge, persuade or preach or anything. We all make our own choices, which is how it should be. I'm not going away forever. We'll call it a small hiatus until the kids are grown. Going to enjoy the next few weeks on a goodbye tour with an old friend. Thanks for your input!
Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM   #26
PAULIBIKER

I'm not scared of dying, I'm scared of not living...................
PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:56 AM   #27
isleoman

Kinda late now, I'm addicted. Similar riding past as outlined by Desmo.

Stupid to start and like any man.... I can learn..... if I have to..... and live long enough.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM   #28
Fitty
Picture added for humor only

I sold my last motorcycle, at the time, to buy a new car when I started my family. Twenty years later I bought another one and got back into riding. Do what's right for you.

Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM   #29
old77zrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by flasher View Post
This thread started out about how to sell a bike but damn this could get deep and philosophical quick...

No question you can't live your life continually fearing the reaper. He will get us all, one way or another. I recently heard a story about an offshore commercial diver who did pipeline repair work. That is, he would be hundreds of feet underwater in pitch blackness and then have to crawl dozens of feet or more inside of a 3 foot diameter oil pipeline. That sort of job pays you by the foot that you have to travel inside the pipe. By far one of the most dangerous jobs you can do. Anyhow, he decided to quit that job so he could go back to nursing school cause his wife got pregnant. On the way from his car to the school one day mid-semester, he got struck by lightning and died. You couldn't make this shit up!

But I have had to make a lot of phone calls to wives and children of motorcyclists that start off with "I have some very terrible news". Didn't seem to matter if they seemed young and stupid or older and experienced. Obviously, you do the best to protect yourself with gear and safe riding, but at the end of the day, your risks are higher on a bike regardless. You can choose to undertake those risks or not. I see a skewed cross-section of riders, and if you are seeing me, something has gone wrong. But still, many people I know who work in the ER or trauma surgery had bikes. Nearly all have given them up after a few years in the business.

Anyhow, certainly not attempting to judge, persuade or preach or anything. We all make our own choices, which is how it should be. I'm not going away forever. We'll call it a small hiatus until the kids are grown. Going to enjoy the next few weeks on a goodbye tour with an old friend. Thanks for your input!
I cant throw any stones. I made the same choice about 32 years ago. Came back when my youngest turned about 19 (about 10 yrs ago). Be well!
old77zrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion