click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues

Old 09-11-2019, 09:30 PM   #1
flasher

Electrical starting problem - Solved!

I have seen a few threads of people who had a hard time getting an old bike to turn over. After six years sitting without being used, I finally got everything back in order. I was excited to say the least. Got the tank back on, fueled up, purged the fuel pump. Attempted to press the starter... and nothing! Here's what I found:

The starter switch has two electrical contacts that have current run through a brass spring, similar to how most flashlights transmit current. The mating surface of the spring to the brass contact was tarnished. No corrosion, just a little oxidation Some cleaning with a screwdriver and contact cleaner and it fired right up. The quick way to figure this out was to just short the solder joints momentarily wth a screwdriver and the starter kicked over. If anyone has a similar problem, I suggest checking this. You could use a voltmeter and check continuity as well. Hope this helps someone else!
Old 09-12-2019, 06:18 AM   #2
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

Interesting, I've had the same problem with a horn button on a different bike. I didn't know the starter button was the same setup.
'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:07 AM   #3
Fitty
Picture added for humor only

My KLR starter button did that once. Fixed it the same way.

Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 02:59 PM   #4
sloowpoke

Yep... I doubt I'm the only old fart that owns a burnishing tool, although I tend to use it more frequently on the well solonoid than on the bike :-)
sloowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:27 PM   #5
Sam9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloowpoke View Post
Yep... I doubt I'm the only old fart that owns a burnishing tool, although I tend to use it more frequently on the well solonoid than on the bike :-)
I used to like the rubberized abrasives, used them at work for decades until we figured out that they accelerate metal oxidation. I still have a couple, but keep them in a sealed ziplock bag.
Sam9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues