click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Classifieds ( For Sale By Members ) > Classifieds ( FZ1 Related )

Old 08-31-2019, 06:09 PM   #1
flasher

WTB Gen 1 silver tank

I'm interested in buying a silver Gen 1 tank in decent condition.

Long story short, gas tank sitting on ground + 3 year old in garage + smallest stupid sharp pebble in the world underneath of corner of tank = tears

I seriously don't know how a 2mm rock managed to be so damn sharp! the tank is otherwise in okay shape. Minimal rust. May also try some epoxy putty or something.

Alternative would be to have to buy a whole new set of fenders/cowel and change colors I suppose...

Ideas? Let me know what you have to sell that may help.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:43 PM   #2
hooligan998
Save a life, grope your wife!

There is JB Weld that is fuel safe. Maybe try that?
Old 08-31-2019, 09:35 PM   #3
flasher

Thanks for the suggestion, have been looking into it. May try soldering first with an electric iron. Has a small dent in it from being dropped on the stand anyways, so a new tank wouldn’t be a terrible addition.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:11 AM   #4
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Doubtful you'll be able to solder steel with an iron, and probably not a good idea. Brazing would work but it is a gas tank, with plenty of fumes. I have successfully used fuel tank epoxy on other vehicles in the past.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:51 AM   #5
oldjeep

If it were me, I'd flush the tank with water and then just weld the hole shut. I'm not a huge fan of epoxy fixes on fuel tanks unless they are plastic.
http://www.oldjeep.com
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:04 AM   #6
Dean Dinnetz

You do not want to put water in a gen.1 gas tank. It is not lined, and will starting rusting, a.s.a.p.

Dean
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:27 AM   #7
oldjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Dinnetz View Post
You do not want to put water in a gen.1 gas tank. It is not lined, and will starting rusting, a.s.a.p.

Dean
Never had a fuel tank that was lined. I guess if you get some flash rust during the 5 minute process of flushing the tank and welding the pinhole you could flush it again with alcohol. Personally I'd just fill it right back up with E10 and it would take care of any miniscule amounts of water
Old 09-03-2019, 10:19 AM   #8
Dean Dinnetz

Some of the H.D.'s had lined gas tanks.

The inside of a gen.1 gas tank is raw steel. I would never get any water inside those gas tanks. If you don't get ALL the water out of a gen.1 gas tank, you will start to get rust. I mean really, why take a chance, on rust inside your gas tank?

The better thing to do, is fill the gas tank with Argon. That way no chance of rust, or the chance of the gas tank blowing up, with the welding of a hole.

I had a very quiet rider fill a gen.1 gas tank for me with said Argon, then he welded a crease, that had a crack in it. That gas tank has been on my 2001 FZ1, for over a year now, with zero problems, and of course zero chance of rust, with water.

Dean
Old 09-03-2019, 11:10 AM   #9
oldjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Dinnetz View Post
Some of the H.D.'s had lined gas tanks.

The inside of a gen.1 gas tank is raw steel. I would never get any water inside those gas tanks. If you don't get ALL the water out of a gen.1 gas tank, you will start to get rust. I mean really, why take a chance, on rust inside your gas tank?

The better thing to do, is fill the gas tank with Argon. That way no chance of rust, or the chance of the gas tank blowing up, with the welding of a hole.

I had a very quiet rider fill a gen.1 gas tank for me with said Argon, then he welded a crease, that had a crack in it. That gas tank has been on my 2001 FZ1, for over a year now, with zero problems, and of course zero chance of rust, with water.

Dean
That works too if you have a tank of argon and are smart enough to know which way to tip the tank when trying to displace the O2. Just realize that every gallon of gas you buy has some water in it, and a vented fuel tank is always subject to condensation in the empty portion. So having a tank momentarily full of water is not going to cause a rust issue that you wouldn't wind up with under normal circumstances.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:58 AM   #10
grommet
kinetic mentality

Never knew of the argon trick, Dean. Thanks for sharing.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:02 PM   #11
flasher

Thanks for the tips. Sounds like people are also known to try putting dry ice inside the tank or running an exhaust line from a running vehicle into it to try to displace air and inert the inside.

But from what I’ve read, even people with years of experience have occasionally had a mishap with a tank blowing up on them. As much as I like brazing and soldering, I’m not sure it’s worth it.

Luckily I found a local radiator shop that is going to braze it for 75 bucks. Can’t beat that considering I’d spend nearly that much just acquiring the raw materials.

Interesting debate regarding the water inside the tank. But I tend to agree that a brief encounter with water followed by appropriately draining and flushing probably wouldn’t be a big deal. Given how humid the weather is here, there is some degree of condensation that probably occurs every morning that has to be absorbed by the ethanol in the fuel. Leaving the tank in the sun with a the cap open for an afternoon will probably be good enough to drive most of the water out. A good rinse with some clean gasoline should take care of the rest.

But, if anyone has a pristine silver tank they’re still trying to sell, I’m still open to replacement
Old 09-03-2019, 01:03 PM   #12
Dean Dinnetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeep View Post
That works too if you have a tank of argon and are smart enough to know which way to tip the tank when trying to displace the O2. Just realize that every gallon of gas you buy has some water in it, and a vented fuel tank is always subject to condensation in the empty portion. So having a tank momentarily full of water is not going to cause a rust issue that you wouldn't wind up with under normal circumstances.

Chuck, whatever works for you.

I'am done here.

Dean
Old 09-03-2019, 02:37 PM   #13
oldjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flasher View Post
Thanks for the tips. Sounds like people are also known to try putting dry ice inside the tank or running an exhaust line from a running vehicle into it to try to displace air and inert the inside.

But from what I’ve read, even people with years of experience have occasionally had a mishap with a tank blowing up on them. As much as I like brazing and soldering, I’m not sure it’s worth it.

Luckily I found a local radiator shop that is going to braze it for 75 bucks. Can’t beat that considering I’d spend nearly that much just acquiring the raw materials.

Interesting debate regarding the water inside the tank. But I tend to agree that a brief encounter with water followed by appropriately draining and flushing probably wouldn’t be a big deal. Given how humid the weather is here, there is some degree of condensation that probably occurs every morning that has to be absorbed by the ethanol in the fuel. Leaving the tank in the sun with a the cap open for an afternoon will probably be good enough to drive most of the water out. A good rinse with some clean gasoline should take care of the rest.

But, if anyone has a pristine silver tank they’re still trying to sell, I’m still open to replacement
Similar concept to Deans argon purge with the dry ice - basically a CO2 purge, which you could also do with a common mig gas mix. You point out the issue with using a gas purge, and that is not knowing if you actually got it purged. If you had a way to measure volume of purge gas you could be pretty sure, otherwise you are stuck just guessing if your tank is half full of fuel vapor and O2. The $75 doesn't sound bad, just surprised that they would braze a steel gas tank - although for a hole the size you describe I guess it shouldn't be a big deal to plug. I looked around for a silver tank for a month and couldn't find one, decided to live with the dent that the PO put in it.

And Dean, no disrespect intended. I've welded a few jeep fuel tanks and had this debate before. Many ways to do it and I haven't had one go boom (yet).
Old 09-03-2019, 04:57 PM   #14
grommet
kinetic mentality

I welded a tank years ago. I washed with water, then lit a propane torch and kept it near the filler hole. The tank kept ougasssing and sputtering the entire time I was welding on it, but the burning propane kept the gas burning off so it didn't build up.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:19 PM   #15
flasher

Took it to the radiator shop down the road. $75 later and some silver solder and I'm back in business! Started the bike for the first time yesterday in six years. It's like it was never shut down. Thanks everyone!

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Classifieds ( For Sale By Members ) > Classifieds ( FZ1 Related )