register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry

Old 05-13-2017, 09:46 PM   #1
Rabeet
Boys of Walmart

Home theater

I am thinking about fixing up a decent home theater.

The alcove where I have a display is 69" wide. I figure I can fit a 75" in there.

My family room is prewired for ceiling speakers. The covers are 3 in front 2 in back, about 10" in diameter and a connection at the rear for a subwoofer.

So I have an old 55" Samsung and it's 9 years old and about ready to go.

I figure a new screen, a receiver and speakers for at least the 5 holes in the ceiling. If cabinet speakers are better, fine.

My nature would be to get a Samsung or Sony display and probably a Yamaha receiver.

Anyway, any advice appreciated. I wish Larry lived closer because I would have him do it for me.

I don't care about having the best of the best, just pretty good stuff that will last for 6 or 10 years.

Thanks!

If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule? - Anton Chigurh

If it ain't it'll do til the mess gets here. - Ed Tom Bell

He wants to know the names of all those he's better than - Little Hitlers Elvis Costello
Rabeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:34 PM   #2
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Yeah Larry, stop being a slacker and go help the man!

If Larry would let me be his apprentice I would offer assistance too.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:54 AM   #3
Pat Glenn
Everything's Just Ducky

I recently got a 4K 65" LG OLED. It's spectacular like a giant cell phone screen. Blacks are really black. No gray casting at any viewing angle.

Pat
Pat Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:27 AM   #4
jd14771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabeet View Post
I am thinking about fixing up a decent home theater.

The alcove where I have a display is 69" wide. I figure I can fit a 75" in there.

My family room is prewired for ceiling speakers. The covers are 3 in front 2 in back, about 10" in diameter and a connection at the rear for a subwoofer.

So I have an old 55" Samsung and it's 9 years old and about ready to go.

I figure a new screen, a receiver and speakers for at least the 5 holes in the ceiling. If cabinet speakers are better, fine.

My nature would be to get a Samsung or Sony display and probably a Yamaha receiver.

Anyway, any advice appreciated. I wish Larry lived closer because I would have him do it for me.

I don't care about having the best of the best, just pretty good stuff that will last for 6 or 10 years.

Thanks!
if i were you- and i wasn't seeking the best or most expensive, i'd wait out the TV market another year if you can. 4k prices are in the process of dropping out, and 1080 tvs are getting even cheaper.

i just recently read that LG is the leading Manufacturer at the moment, (OLED is king) and they will be supplying Sony, Panasonic and Phillips with the displays to be put inside their equipment.

Samsung went with their own QLED, but it just came out this year, and from the article that i was reading, its not as vibrant.

So all that being said, if it can wait, better deals will be had in the coming future when the market opens up.
jd14771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:00 AM   #5
didier9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Glenn View Post
I recently got a 4K 65" LG OLED. It's spectacular like a giant cell phone screen. Blacks are really black. No gray casting at any viewing angle.

Pat
I had to Google it, I did not know they had large screen OLED TVs at not-stratospheric prices.
I am a fan of OLED (only had OLED phones since the original Moto Droid Razr) because of contrast, lack of ghosting and wide viewing angle, but it is still quite a bit more expensive than LCD.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:23 AM   #6
SoCalFZRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabeet View Post
... probably a Yamaha receiver.

... last for 6 or 10 years.
My most recent Yamaha receiver is ~15 years old and still works great, no problems. Old school 5.1 basic surround, remote, XM radio ready. No HDMI so it will be replaced sometime. Has the pcm optical input that I use with a WD media player.

My previous Yamaha went 20 years before I gave it to my son, the one before that over 30 years. Hope today's quality is as good as it has been... I would definitely buy another one.
SoCalFZRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 03:36 PM   #7
Pat Glenn
Everything's Just Ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by didier9 View Post
I had to Google it, I did not know they had large screen OLED TVs at not-stratospheric prices.
I am a fan of OLED (only had OLED phones since the original Moto Droid Razr) because of contrast, lack of ghosting and wide viewing angle, but it is still quite a bit more expensive than LCD.
Sam's Club got a bunch in and discounted them at $2,999. I was waiting for the prices to drop and I grabbed one along with an LG sound bar. I haven't seen any more of them there lately though. I don't know what they are now elsewhere.

Pat
Pat Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:20 PM   #8
Rabeet
Boys of Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd14771 View Post
if i were you- and i wasn't seeking the best or most expensive, i'd wait out the TV market another year if you can. 4k prices are in the process of dropping out, and 1080 tvs are getting even cheaper.

i just recently read that LG is the leading Manufacturer at the moment, (OLED is king) and they will be supplying Sony, Panasonic and Phillips with the displays to be put inside their equipment.

Samsung went with their own QLED, but it just came out this year, and from the article that i was reading, its not as vibrant.

So all that being said, if it can wait, better deals will be had in the coming future when the market opens up.
Not waiting.

If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule? - Anton Chigurh

If it ain't it'll do til the mess gets here. - Ed Tom Bell

He wants to know the names of all those he's better than - Little Hitlers Elvis Costello
Rabeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:51 PM   #9
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

Wow OLEDs have really dropped. I still haven't seen on in person. How big is the difference to a current plasma or LED.

Is it a "holy shit" moment like the first time you saw HD next to a standard broadcast?
Old 05-14-2017, 07:03 PM   #10
Fitty
Let's Ride!

My Panasonic plasma is still beautiful, and I like the picture better than some of the 4k lcds I've seen. Think they quit making them though.

Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:44 PM   #11
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

I would fly out for two tacos and a handshake if not for this torn ACL bud, Beet and the boys have been on my mind. Shopping and research of the local install firms would be our first stop....after avocado breakfast tacos.

A one room system is simple but don't cheap out, I have an associate up there and he's been contacted.

-Typical 5 sources like Direct TV/Uverse, Roku or Apple TV, Playstation and another game console plus a spare input for local camera/HDMI stuff.
-Sony ES 2000 or Yamaha AVR
-Sony XBR 4K Display in 65" or 75" depends on seating distance, go big unless you think it dominates the room. The 75 fits at 66" X 38"

Hell yes on floor standing-cabinet speakers, they don't need to be huge.
-Sonance LCR-1 fronts, VP-66R for ceiling rears.

Don't wait on new technology, OLED from Samsung and Sony just came out. Great picture for the right rooms....highly reflective screens, reliability issues, LG sucks and Samsung is attempting home automation with an OS that screws every device on the network.
4K is cool, real content is like fake news, most don't know what they are getting so it all passes. Most new components are designed and ready for what we think the 4K world will be like, the good stuff is field updatable.

Blah bla bla
Old 05-14-2017, 08:02 PM   #12
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
Wow OLEDs have really dropped. I still haven't seen on in person. How big is the difference to a current plasma or LED.

Is it a "holy shit" moment like the first time you saw HD next to a standard broadcast?
It's near holy shit and 10 miles past your first HD view, in a darkened room with no bright light behind you and the right source it is superb.

My Samsung plasma has blown away every 4K model I have tried during real world testing here, the last year of production was the best and I hope it lives forever. I hear it sucking kw from the grid right now, added cooling fans too. CE compliant we are not.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:28 PM   #13
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

I too have one of the last Samsung plasmas. It's great. I wish though
I'd have gotten a 65 instead of the 55.

Well if oleds ever get to $1500 for a 65 I'll get one. Maybe.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:53 PM   #14
longeze

I use a projector (it's a Sim2). My screen is about 8 x 12 feet. If you can control the lighting in the room or watch mostly at night(as I do), it's a great bang for the buck. It's like having your own movie theatre. The resolution isn't a factor unless you're sitting really close to the screen. You can buy a Sim2 HT300($15,000MSRP) on ebay for about $200 or less. A Sim2 HT500($32,000 MSRP) (higher power) just sold on ebay under $1000. They were used by movie directors in their screening rooms. If you need higher resolution for a smaller room, Panasonic makes some well reviewed projectors which can be had for about $1200 used or roughly $2,000 new. The image quality of all these projectors is stunning. These are not your fathers projectors ;) Not at all the washed out images with poor black levels and very little contrast or color saturation like they use to be. The reproduction is so good that you can see the grain of the film on older movies and on good quality media, the images often appear almost 3D.

Surround sound: I just upgraded to a Marantz Atmos 7.2.4 preamp & use it with a Denon 11.2.2 reciever. FWIW, thus far many of the Atmos titles are released on blu-ray as DTS/X. The pre-amp was doa when I bought it off ebay so it cost me very little. If I had paid the full price I wouldn't feel it was worthwhile. You can get 90% of what that is for about $400 with a Denon 4311ci receiver.

If there are any other audio geeks reading this , you might be interested to know that I built an infinite baffle subwoofer using 4) 18's powered by 3k watts rms. It can(and does) make the floor ripple on occasion, but the main advantage is that it offloads the main speakers so that the modest power from the amp in the reciever can be used for the rest of the frequency spectrum. It's not a motorcycle, but it's something to do during the winter.
longeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:06 PM   #15
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

I always wondered about getting a projector. But where to put it and how to run power and cables etc always killed it for me. Seems like it needs to be mounted on the ceiling somehow. And that's a no go for me.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:35 AM   #16
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by longeze View Post
If there are any other audio geeks reading this , you might be interested to know that I built an infinite baffle subwoofer using 4) 18's powered by 3k watts rms. It can(and does) make the floor ripple on occasion, but the main advantage is that it offloads the main speakers so that the modest power from the amp in the reciever can be used for the rest of the frequency spectrum. It's not a motorcycle, but it's something to do during the winter.
That is effin awesome. I wanna see a Bruckheimer movie at your place

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:09 AM   #17
longeze

Initially I was running the sub turned up a bit but found that the upstairs windows were unlocking themselves & opening up - not good in the winter... Now it's more of a "lets treat ourselves" kinda thing when we crank it up for blockbuster flicks like the Marvel series or Everest for eg. We''ve found that in the last couple years there has been a lot more inaudible information (<20Hz) put on the sub channel. If you're into experiencing it without a large investment and without having the cops at your door every night for disturbing the peace, you could install a "shaker" under your couch or chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
I always wondered about getting a projector. But where to put it and how to run power and cables etc always killed it for me. Seems like it needs to be mounted on the ceiling somehow. And that's a no go for me.
We have our projectors sitting on a small table behind the couch but could easily put them at the back wall of our double room with no problem(long throw). As for cabling, except for a power cord, the "E-link" models use a thin fiber optic cable that connects the projector to a "DigiOptic" image processor which sits along side of your signal sources(cable box/blu-ray player, xbox etc). The DigiOptic will accept an HDMI cable. The Sim2 stuff has remote "lens adjustment" designed to allow flexibility with placement. You can move the image up&Dn(also sideways & diagonally-"keystone"), so you can sort of "angle the image" up and over onto the screen or wall or whatever.
longeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:25 AM   #18
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Ditto for the Samsung plasma. The image remains stunning on the 60" screen I bought in '12. Also have another Panasonic 42" that's about 12 years old, peforming very well. The newer, larger Samsung runs much cooler than the old Pannie.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:33 AM   #19
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
That is effin awesome. I wanna see a Bruckheimer movie at your place

I have LFE envy.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:45 AM   #20
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

So the only cable to run from the projector to the source is a small fiber cord?

Did you just run it around the edge of the floor?

And what would you guesstimate the cost for a low-mid end version of a set up like yours is?

Screen, projector and whatever that other device you need is?

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry