register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry

Old 06-25-2015, 12:50 PM   #21
Fizzman
Retired

I will just say no to the annoying upgrade notification. Again and again and again.

Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD 400E, '79 400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R
Fizzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:26 PM   #22
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

Just accepted the update for my second lap top.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:29 PM   #23
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by t84a View Post
I think Windows 10 renders a lot of the earlier Office products useless, which means a lot of folks will have to upgrade.
You "think" it does?

Do you have a good source for this info? And what products will be obsolete?

Rendering old stuff obsolete with a new OS is typical of Apple. MS has gone way overboard trying to keep legacy stuff working for years after it was out dated.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:02 AM   #24
killerpitou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzman View Post
I will just say no to the annoying upgrade notification. Again and again and again.
you can easily turn them off
killerpitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:19 AM   #25
loosenut
Now where did that come from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzman View Post
You can turn that off permanently. (oops- that will teach me to read the whole thread first!)

2007 Yamaha FZ1
2005 GasGas EC300 (with plate), 2004 GasGas Pampera 280 (hers)
loosenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:15 PM   #26
5lv

If Microsoft would promise to make the new browser actually work, I might give 10 a try.

5lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:33 PM   #27
WDD

Is Windows 10 bug free enough now to upgrade?

So, now that we have almost 6 months of early adopters, are those who are running Windows 10 having a good enough experience now that the rest of us should update? Have they fixed the bugs enough yet?
Old 12-10-2015, 03:30 PM   #28
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Been using Win10 on 2 older Core 2 powered laptops with SSD upgrades for awhile with no issues. They definitely feel snappier than they did with Win7 and work great, actually. Took the plunge and recently updated the main household workstation, which is a self built pile of parts, also. So far so good, no issues with any of them to date. W10 definitely feels more "efficient". Certain little tasks like safely unplugging a USB drive and cleaning the C drive with the cleanup tool are quicker than they were in Win 7 and 8.1.

It does feel like MS did dumb down the interface some, but all the same stuff is still there and available. I like Win 10 fine. It definitely has a smaller footprint on the hard drive than the older operating systems, I would say about 20% less once you clean up the old windows install folder. I did that right off the bat as I had it all imaged/backed up using Macrium, which is my favorite backup software.

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:37 PM   #29
Cougar
Nerd Herder

I'm using it on a fairly new laptop and a desktop that's a couple of years old; both have 12Gb of memory. The only issues I seem to have is that Adobe Flash seems to crash much more often in Firefox than it used to. It's become so annoying that I've disabled it and allow it to run "once" whenever I want to use it. As Duken4evr mentioned, it seems to be pretty snappy.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:00 PM   #30
Woodys2718
Lets light this candle!

No problems here. Been running 10 since shortly after it was released on my Toshiba laptop.
Throttle Rocker
Throttle Meister
TechSpec
Proton Flush Mounts
Bi Xenon HIDs
Speedo Healer
Power Bronze Lower Cowl
Competition Werks Undertail
Motodynamic Integrated Tail Light
OES Frame Sliders
Bestem Carbon Fiber Heel Guards
GB Racing Case Guards
Pro Bolt Anodized Bolt Kit
Cox Racing Radiator Guard
Arrow Header
Two Bros Black Series Carbon Slip On
Two Bros Juice Box Pro
BMC Air Filter
AIS Plugged
Woodys2718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:06 PM   #31
Pat Glenn
Everything's Just Ducky

Works fine on my Sony Vaio laptop. Took a really long time to download and install though.

Pat
Pat Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:57 PM   #32
Fizzman
Retired

So now on w10 for a couple of months now on my laptop. I dislike the sharing updates from my computer, the minimal settings scattered around and the inability to get info on updates prior to installing. Oh, and Office no longer works. I was perfectly happy with w7.

Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD 400E, '79 400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R
Fizzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:14 PM   #33
Hellgate

I upgraded on Day One. Works great.

'05 Yamaha R6 Track Bike

'88 RZ350 - Canadian mind you!

'82 Yamaha XV920RJ

"Ride to Pretend, Pretend to Ride...Dickhead"
Hellgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:12 AM   #34
Havagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
Adobe Flash
There's the problem. Uninstall that horrible technology!
Havagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:22 AM   #35
WDD

Wow - Windows 8 was really, really bad

Updated the laptop, all went well. Then updated our home desktop. Went well again.

Played around a bit. Windows 10 really brings home how wretched Windows 8 was. I mean really bad. I knew I hated it when it came on the laptop and desk top, but I avoided it as much as possible. What were they thinking!
Old 12-13-2015, 08:26 AM   #36
lowercasee
Some dude that rides an FZ1

I am not upgrading to W10 unless I get a new PC. W7 works fine o the home computer. It is used for internet browsing, old school video game emulation (up through the 16-bit era) and MAME. I don't want to have to set all the emulation stuff up again so I will keep it as is until it's no longer functional. Hell, I am still using XP on my Acer Netbook and it still works fine and does what I want it to do.
lowercasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 04:51 PM   #37
Gottaride
I'm big for my size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havagan View Post
There's the problem. Uninstall that horrible technology!
Really can't ditch flash. Too damned many people use the platform. Major security turd. Adobe really needs replace it.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:07 PM   #38
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottaride View Post
Really can't ditch flash. Too damned many people use the platform. Major security turd. Adobe really needs replace it.
Exactly. That's why I have it ask me every time before I allow it. What a POS of a program.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Old 12-16-2015, 05:56 PM   #39
Drew
Mighty Tonka!

Upgraded a older HP xw4600 workstation from Win7 Home (originally XP) to Win10 Home. Think its a CoreDuo 8700 w/4g of ram, Computer ran fine on 7 and runs fine on 10. There wasn't a whole lot of stuff on this PC, but for general tasks, watching streaming video/dvd's and browsing it more than fast enough.

Win 10 is more evolutionary which might be why MS is doing a free upgrade. Not a lot of "wow factor". I'll wait to upgrade my main Win7 Pro PC which has been bulletproof.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:05 PM   #40
Cougar
Nerd Herder

MS automatically updated W10 today and Edge didn't work. All I got was a blue screen with "Edge" on the upper left corner and the "Edge" logo in the middle. That's it. So I found instructions on how to delete it and re-install it. The delete went fine but it won't re-install. Oh well, I use Firefox anyway.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry