register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion

Old 06-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #1
G_man

Round 2 Ok boys give me the deals on chain and sprockets

Seeing how you hooked me up with the smoking battery deal, where do you suggest I order one from and what brands do you like?

2001 FZ1
O-ring
Steel Sprockets

I plan to go one tooth smaller on the rear after reading that cool story on the FZ1 someone linked here.

Thanks

Steve McQueen--On Any Sunday
G_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:40 AM   #2
fermic37

pj at sportbikesforhire.com will beat almost all prices.
fermic37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:51 AM   #3
_Will_

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
pj at sportbikesforhire.com will beat almost all prices.
+1, running a set from PJ right now and the price beat everyone else easily
_Will_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:05 PM   #4
G_man

Ok thanks I went to his website and yes he does have good prices, I think I recall him being a member here and moving out there and opening his store/rental biz...

The Dragon sure does seem like a fun road to ride, a bit far for this Zonie might havta put it on the bucket list.

So I checked out the sprocket/combo set and they had three options one being stock.

But I want to go against the norm where some guys gear their bikes DOWN, I want to go one tooth SMALLER in the rear as it seems when I'm on a long road trip I'm always reaching for another gear. Has anyone done this?

They did it in this article:

"Amazingly, after 32,000 miles, the stock chain on our Skunk was in great shape. But because we wanted to change gearing, it was replaced by a fresh D.I.D #530 VM X-Ring chain. The stock chain has 116 links, so we ordered a 120-link VM and trimmed it to fit. This golden beauty curls around a Vortex countershaft sprocket in the stock 16-tooth size while a Sunstar steel rear sprocket counts one fewer than the original 44 teeth. Raising the gearing slightly puts the FZ1's engine in its vibratory sweet spot at 75 mph and has the side benefit of making the analog speedometer nearly accurate. This 6-percent-taller gearing does little to blunt the FZ1's acceleration in lower gears or take a point off its backroad fun factor."

https://www.cycleworld.com/project-r...z1-html#page-6

Anyway on his website it does not include that sprocket, guess I need to call him.

oh and btw my STOCK chain and sprockets have 30,000+ miles on them!
Other than a few kinks in the chain the sprockets are still decent.
Amazing OEM stuff!

Old 06-07-2018, 06:25 PM   #5
fermic37

Yes he is a long time
Member here. Usually answers his phone or email right away.
fermic37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:30 PM   #6
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Down one in the rear is good, or you can also run one up in the front. Yes, a 17t front fits. A larger countershaft sprocket will last longer and reduce wear on the chain slightly. Still has plenty of fun power.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:37 PM   #7
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

on the larger front sprocket. 16/44 will increase chain and sprocket wear, negligible though it may be. 2.75 exactly so you’ll be meshing the same teeth on the sprocket in the same place on the chain fairly often. 17/45 is a better combo

Edit: dunno why I thought 45 was the stock size for a gen 1. Please disregard.

Last edited by MichaelFZ1; 06-08-2018 at 11:29 AM.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:54 PM   #8
G_man

Okay thanks for the info guys so stock is 16/44 and I got 30,000 miles out of that.

If I read that correctly you said that will get me the most mileage right?

So how will a 17/45 help out what are the advantages disadvantages vs a 16/43?

Also I thought I remember someone mentioning if I do not get an oem sprocket that I will need a spacer of some sort on the counter shaft sprocket?

Thanks

Old 06-10-2018, 09:58 PM   #9
iluvmyfz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_man View Post
Okay thanks for the info guys so stock is 16/44 and I got 30,000 miles out of that.

If I read that correctly you said that will get me the most mileage right?

So how will a 17/45 help out what are the advantages disadvantages vs a 16/43?

Also I thought I remember someone mentioning if I do not get an oem sprocket that I will need a spacer of some sort on the counter shaft sprocket?

Thanks
Going one up in the front to have a 17/44 combo does work on the Gen I, but you will need to remove the small case guard to make it fit. The larger front will slightly reduce the rev's and improve fuel economy while cruising, but not by sacrificing much on the low end. The ol' fizzy has plenty of guts for street riding when spinning the engine in the fun zone. A few folks on the forum have used the 17/44 and report positively.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
Old 06-12-2018, 08:08 AM   #10
G_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
Going one up in the front to have a 17/44 combo does work on the Gen I, but you will need to remove the small case guard to make it fit. The larger front will slightly reduce the rev's and improve fuel economy while cruising, but not by sacrificing much on the low end. The ol' fizzy has plenty of guts for street riding when spinning the engine in the fun zone. A few folks on the forum have used the 17/44 and report positively.
Ok yes I have done the ol "1 up on the C/S with my DirtBikes and liked it fine.
It usually equates to about 2 to 3 teeth less on the Rear.

Seeing how 90% of my riding is 2-up I’m wondering if this would be a wise choice?

Also removing the CaseGuard, would that thing actually work in a failure anyway?

Thanks

Old 06-07-2018, 09:18 PM   #11
CasuallyAggressive

I managed to snag a DID 16/46 kit for $104 shipped just last month off of Amazon, not sure why it was so cheap but I got it since I know I'll use it eventually.
CasuallyAggressive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:48 AM   #12
Wonger

Also note, the best front sprocket would be the p/n from the Gen 2 FZ1. It has the same urethane spacer that the Gen 1 has, but is 17T vs 16T. It's a common swap for the Gen 2 guys to get an OEM gen 1 to go down 1 in front.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:01 AM   #13
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Are folks not changing to a 520 chain when it comes time for a new chain?
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:17 AM   #14
iluvmyfz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_man View Post
Ok yes I have done the ol "1 up on the C/S with my DirtBikes and liked it fine.
It usually equates to about 2 to 3 teeth less on the Rear.

Seeing how 90% of my riding is 2-up I’m wondering if this would be a wise choice?

Also removing the CaseGuard, would that thing actually work in a failure anyway?

Thanks
If that mass of flying chain steel jumps up there while at speed, I can't see it doing much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
Are folks not changing to a 520 chain when it comes time for a new chain?
Most don't. What would be the bennies? The 530 works as intended and does a good job.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:20 AM   #15
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
...Most don't. What would be the bennies? The 530 works as intended and does a good job.
The 520 chains nowadays are strong enough and certainly lighter than a 530. Just an easy and cost-effective way to reduce unsprung mass during a routine maintenance interval. I didn't know if there's a specific reason or not why I don't see more folks here convert to a 520.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:45 AM   #16
grommet
kinetic mentality

We've had a couple of guys here lose chains in motion. You get one chance with the case guard. If you don't stop, and it hits again, it's JB Weld time.

I liked the 15/44 combo on the Gen 1 and got 21K out of a DID 530 VX something or other before I parted out the bike, at which point it was still fine.

I'm 10,000 miles into an experiment. So far it's going quite well. YMMV.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:09 PM   #17
G_man

Thanks for the info guys and yes I am definitely going to use a 530 chain.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:24 AM   #18
G_man

So I called up PJ late Friday and the Chain and sprocket kit was here Wednesday--FREE SHIPPING and a great price!

After talking to him I decided to go with the stock gearing as he said a lot of guys gear their bikes down and unless you do a lot of HWY riding (I don't) it really isn't beneficial.

Thanks guys and to PJ as well.

http://sportbikes4hire.com/

Old 07-27-2018, 07:11 AM   #19
CrazyBiker
Smooottthhh....

PJ only sells DID chains? So you are restricted by colors.

2012 S1000RR Premium Motorsport
Brock Full Exhaust|GPR Damper|Sato Rearsets|Sargent Seat|Oxford Heated Grips|GBR/Woodcraft protectors|Blue SS Lines|Motodynamics signals

2014 S1000R Premium White
Akra GP,Rizoma mirrors,Ermax Bellypan,Tecbike CAT,V-stream,Wunderlich Seat,360° LED signals,R&G+Puig Protection

Hepco Becker Luggage System for both

CrazyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion