click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion

Old 06-16-2019, 06:14 PM   #1
flasher

Long journey, but time to move on... what to do with bike?

My apologies, long post, but bear with me...

I have had a 2003 1st gen with about 18,000 miles on it. However, it is time to move on. I had some great times on that bike including evacuating from New Orleans during hurricane Katrina with nothing but saddle bags. It turned into a trip up the blue ridge parkway with a stop at the dragon. Camping trips, track days, it has been a blast.

However, a lot of other things have happened in that time. In short, I got married, had two kids, and changed careers. I now work as an ER doctor in a trauma center.

So, while I love that bike, my motivation to not ride has increased exponentially. I have too much to lose with having a family, and frankly I see too many bad things happen to motorcyclists in the ER. Frankly, I know myself well enough to know how much fun that thing was and I don't trust myself to not do stupid-ish things. So, the bike has to go.

There are a ton of upgrades. Carbon fiber everything, full titanium Arata exhaust, Ivans jet kit, Traxxion dynamics fork and rear spring upgrade, GYTR handlebar risers, suburban machinery handlebars, 15 tooth front/46 tooth rear sprockets, tail hugger, stainless steel brake lines, Corbin seat, etc...

Unfortunately, for a number of reasons, the bike has also been neglected somewhat for the past three years. The gas and carbs were drained and it starts fine, but a lack of a garage for a few years, and time has not been kind.

The tires are dry rotted and need replaced. The front fork seals have rusted and need to be replaced. In the meantime, a very low speed drop and falling over on the kickstand has made a few scratches, bent the clutch handle, and broken the shift lever. (The shift lever was replaced with a bolt and about 10 nuts that had actually worked fine for many years, but not exactly 'OEM' replacement) It was kept under a cover or in a garage, but the sun still managed to fade some of the black plastic.

So the question is what is the best way to sell it? Fix everything? Part out all the upgrades then sell totally as is? Part out and then fix broken stuff? I'm open to ideas. Provided it had new tires, all major problems addressed, and was totally stock, how much would it even be worth?

I appreciate any advice. I will be riding again one day, but it might have to wait until the kids are a bit older.

Greg
Old 06-16-2019, 06:22 PM   #2
okrider

At this point, add ons are not going to affect the price you sell this bike at as it is not in running condition. I'd remove the add ons and sell it as is. Don't expect a whole lot.
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:48 PM   #3
Desmo
Hello ladies...

Yep. Part out the expensive bits.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:14 PM   #4
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

For the most return, part it out.

What color is it?
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:16 PM   #5
isleoman

I didn't realize they still sold the Arata exhausts

https://www.mcssl.com/store/aratausa...tem-all-years-

$2200
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:17 PM   #6
WileyLogHomes
Need a Log Home?

Don't expect much, you can find well sorted gen 1s in good condition for $2k, if you are patient you can find them for $1500. If you want top dollar, part out the fancy stuff, put back to stock, and send it down the road. You might realize and extra 4-500 if you part it out.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:17 PM   #7
flasher

Its silver. I think I will plan to put it back in full working order and enjoy a few last joy rides before I sell it. Forks don't have many miles on them, just unfortunately the humidity got to the exposed seals. Will probably have some stuff on the classified section before too long. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:39 AM   #8
JerseyDiesel

Location: Jersey, Ga a suburb of Loganville outside of Walnut Grove
I have bikes (not my FZ) that are worth more to me that I could sell them for.
Keep it. Ride it. Be careful.
JerseyDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #9
rdcusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyDiesel View Post
I have bikes (not my FZ) that are worth more to me that I could sell them for.
Keep it. Ride it. Be careful.
DITTO!

Look, I get it. On the surface, the numbers are terrible for accidents, fatalities compared to cars. I used to work for the US Transportation Secretary directly. So I had carte blanche in the department. I went to the analytics folks and had them back out stupid crap for bikes: No helmet, No other PPE, riding under the influence, riding in inclement weather, riding at night. The numbers plummeted to near parity with autos.

Wear your gear. Ride responsibly. Don't drink and drive. Limit night and bad weather riding and chances are you won't have any trouble.

Best,
Ron

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod.
rdcusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:52 PM   #10
Dean Dinnetz

And at my age, riding a motorbike, is still the most fun i can have, with my clothes on! lol!

Dean
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:23 PM   #11
flasher

So, after some TLC, some new carb gaskets and o-rings, carb cleaner, a few busted knuckles and a huge sense of satisfaction, the bike is back in running order. New chain, refurbished forks at Traxxion, new throttle cable, an unfortunate gas tank mishap and repair, new filters... Started up with no choke and ran like she was never shut down. Feels good! Going to ride for a for a few weeks and then sell. Thanks for all your support!
Old 09-12-2019, 05:07 AM   #12
iluvmyfz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcusmc View Post
DITTO!

Look, I get it. On the surface, the numbers are terrible for accidents, fatalities compared to cars. I used to work for the US Transportation Secretary directly. So I had carte blanche in the department. I went to the analytics folks and had them back out stupid crap for bikes: No helmet, No other PPE, riding under the influence, riding in inclement weather, riding at night. The numbers plummeted to near parity with autos.

Wear your gear. Ride responsibly. Don't drink and drive. Limit night and bad weather riding and chances are you won't have any trouble.

Best,
Ron

Wow, excellent info Ron (just read it today). Would love to actually see the numbers if you have them, but considering the source, good enough for me.

What you said above, goes a long way to staying on the good side of things, along with maintaining 360 degree situational awareness. In other words, not sitting at the red light tapping your hands on the tank in time with your favorite tune, as if you're invisible to everyone else. Just because someone does't see or register you sitting there, you are not invisible.

I've also never believed in the old wives tale, "It's not if you go down, it's when.". I know folks with 100k, even 200k, that haven't been down. Defeatist attitudes just don't work for me. On the flip side though, be prepared. Don't dress for the ride, dress for the slide. Luck works both ways.

Thanks Ron!
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
Old 09-12-2019, 07:05 AM   #13
wotnnc
Old Enough To Know Better

Yes, the accident numbers for motorcycles are horrible.
May be wrong but I figure if you subtract from those numbers the people who have no business riding to begin with and the people who can ride well but are idiots, the numbers for the rest of us would look pretty good.
Which group do you fit into?
Old 09-12-2019, 07:25 AM   #14
Lickety Split

My father is a retired physician. He spent a lot of time in the ER as well. I have heard all the stories. Ultimately, he helped me understand life is too short to not do the things you love.
Lickety Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:25 AM   #15
okrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotnnc View Post
Yes, the accident numbers for motorcycles are horrible.
May be wrong but I figure if you subtract from those numbers the people who have no business riding to begin with and the people who can ride well but are idiots, the numbers for the rest of us would look pretty good.
Which group do you fit into?
People who can ride semi-decent but is a total moron.
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:30 AM   #16
wotnnc
Old Enough To Know Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrider View Post
People who can ride semi-decent but is a total moron.
We'd get along fine riding together.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:21 AM   #17
jredford
Musical Metal

I’d rather die living than live dying.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:28 AM   #18
grommet
kinetic mentality

Quote:
Originally Posted by jredford View Post
I’d rather die living than live dying.
X1000

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:48 AM   #19
iluvmyfz1

When I bought my kids their first Honda 50, it came with a video (tape), "Stupid hurts."

Well done, point made.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:17 PM   #20
sloowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
I've also never believed in the old wives tale, "It's not if you go down, it's when.". I know folks with 100k, even 200k, that haven't been down. Defeatist attitudes just don't work for me. On the flip side though, be prepared. Don't dress for the ride, dress for the slide. Luck works both ways.

Thanks Ron!
...and now you know of someone who has over 800K with nary a crash, me :-)
sloowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion