click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 06-11-2019, 06:46 PM   #41
rdcusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
The Gen I stock suspension isn't horrible for those around 185 and under. I'm 165 and solo it's ok, but two up the stock rear just doesn't work, especially when loaded with the E460 and both E21's. The R6 shock was a great improvement for little cost. I bought a shock on flea bay for well under a hundred bucks and made my own dog bones from 7075 bar stock. Set it up for stock rear ride height. No more bottoming out over bumps.

Last week replaced that setup with a Penske. My new recommendation after several days on the Dragon and surrounding twisties: forego anything else, get the Penske! The experience is transformative. I'm in love all over again. The R6 PALES in comparison. Smoother ride all around, solo and two-up, and now is much more on rails in tight and sweeper twisty stuff.

FWIW, my carbs are still bone stock and work just fine. CV carbs are pretty solid.
I agree on the Penske. Wouldn't trade mine for anything. And I'm glad the stock suspension seems ok for you but trust me when I tell you - you will not regret the Raven suspension mod for the $25 investment. No brainer.

Best,
Ron

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod.
rdcusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:38 PM   #42
Longboardr
Gone to the dirt side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchsport View Post
Wow. Welcome back Longboardr. Long time no see.
Thanks, the FZ1 has been pretty solid and dirt bikes have been getting most of my attention.
'05 Liquid Silver FZ1: Traxxion Springs/Axxion Valves • R6R Shock • Multi-Gauge V7.1 • '00-'01 R1 Shift Arm • Soupys Adjustable Bones • Devilsyam Frame Plugs • Convertibars • Oxford Heaterz with Symtec control • GYT-R CF Slip On • Fren Tubo SS Brake Lines • Brembo Pads • Fehling Case Guards • Ninja 250 Highway Pegs • Pyramid Hugger • Sargent Seat • FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster Horn • Vista Cruise Throttle Lock • The2wheels Shorty Levers • Axio Tail Bag •
Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:43 PM   #43
oldjeep

Bag brackets showed up today so I figured I might as well get them installed while I am waiting for my EXUP parts. Relatively easy, but their relocation location makes no sense. They could have so easily just provided a tab on the rack to put the signals close to where they were. The intended location looked like crap, so I made some minor mods to their brackets and shoved the lights forward a bit. Good enough for now, but this winter when I feel like painting I will weld a couple tabs to the bag brackets and put some after market lights on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1220.jpg (155.6 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1221.jpg (184.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1222.jpg (163.7 KB, 79 views)
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:35 AM   #44
oldjeep

This weeks tasks were minor. Oil change, swapped out the lock cores in the bags so that they all matched and pulled the dated looking stickers off the fairings.

After all the fun with the exup valve and a couple other things I'm seeing, I'm starting to realize that the bike is a little behind in maintenance. Couple days ago I pulled the 2 plugs I could get to without removing the tank and they were both terrible, black carbony - amazing to me that the bike runs with those things. Also had a weird vibration in the front, not too bad but running your hand over the tire it has an odd scalloping.

Ordered up Plugs - Autolite iridium, air filter, Exup cables, pair of new tires and some balance beads. Already have an extra set of brake pads that came with the bike. Also have a R6R shock kit coming from Dean - figured it can't hurt and I'm guessing the one on the bike is the 61K mile original. Other than that I suppose I should get some fork oil and seals and make sure to grease any greasable wheel bearings while it is apart.

Wasn't really planning on having to take this bike all apart right away, but it seems like at this point that I need a good maintenance baseline.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1249.jpg (192.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1247.jpg (192.8 KB, 62 views)
Old 06-22-2019, 05:27 AM   #45
rdcusmc

FWIW, I have the same top case and I installed LEDs along with the GIVI brake light kit. I get a full light spread when braking that I love.

These pics don't do them justice BUT will give you some idea.

Also, if you are refreshing the forks, respectfully suggest the Raven mod. Cost's nothing, is easy to do. You will appreciate the difference.

Best,
Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8132.jpg (92.0 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8133.jpg (79.7 KB, 59 views)

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:33 AM   #46
oldjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcusmc View Post
FWIW, I have the same top case and I installed LEDs along with the GIVI brake light kit. I get a full light spread when braking that I love.

These pics don't do them justice BUT will give you some idea.

Also, if you are refreshing the forks, respectfully suggest the Raven mod. Cost's nothing, is easy to do. You will appreciate the difference.

Best,
Ron
I thought that raven mod had to do with the rear suspension? I'm already getting an r6r shock and dogbones from dean.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:35 AM   #47
rdcusmc

R6 is a good call for the rear. The front mod is cheap. Long story short, you cut the spring to shorten it and replace the spacer to take up the space. Different weight oil and amount used. Reinstall while also moving the forks up the triple by 8-10mm and you are good to do. I'm looking up the links for it now.

Ron

Old 06-22-2019, 05:37 AM   #48
rdcusmc

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/sho...der+suspension

Old 06-22-2019, 06:12 AM   #49
oldjeep

That doesn't look too bad. I was actually thinking of getting the traxxion spring kit for the front end. So I will have to think about that. Still need to order seals, bushings and oil.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:39 AM   #50
Fitty
Picture added for humor only

A new spring correct for your weight will be better than the Ravenrider mod, if you’re so inclined. Also, after installing an AIS removal kit from either Dale or Ivan, you can then change all four plugs without raising the tank, if you still have the factory sparkplug tool. Either way, it’s the best tool to use for that purpose. Trust me on this. I can change all four plugs in five minutes without lifting the tank. After sliding the tool over a plug, you then turn it with a 14mm wrench, preferably the one in the kit.

Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:49 AM   #51
oldjeep

Havnt even looked at what is in the under seat kit, pulled the outside plugs with a normal magnetic plug socket and a flex extension, but I'll take a look. Have to remove the tank anyways for the filter and exup cables this time.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:04 AM   #52
Fitty

Trust me on the tool. I have all sizes of spark plug sockets, extensions, u-joints, etc, and the Yamaha tool is the best. It is designed for the purpose.

Old 06-22-2019, 02:44 PM   #53
oldjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitty View Post
A new spring correct for your weight will be better than the Ravenrider mod, if you’re so inclined. Also, after installing an AIS removal kit from either Dale or Ivan, you can then change all four plugs without raising the tank, if you still have the factory sparkplug tool. Either way, it’s the best tool to use for that purpose. Trust me on this. I can change all four plugs in five minutes without lifting the tank. After sliding the tool over a plug, you then turn it with a 14mm wrench, preferably the one in the kit.
I ordered up the traxxion kit. I'm sure that the raven mod is fine, but in my world cutting progressive springs and heating them is frowned on. For $120 it seems pretty painless. Just need to figure out fork oil now. Seem to be a lot of opinions anywhere between 2.5 and 7 weight. Figure I will ask traxxion, lightest stuff they sell is 7.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:48 PM   #54
Fitty

Traxxion recommends 7wt for their AK20 cartridges. I think 10wt may be preferable for the stock cartridges. Just an opinion. Seems someone on here recently made that choice. I did just use 10wt on a Gen1 FJR when upgrading the springs, for what that's worth. My friend it was for was happy with the results.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:11 PM   #55
oldjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitty View Post
Traxxion recommends 7wt for their AK20 cartridges. I think 10wt may be preferable for the stock cartridges. Just an opinion. Seems someone on here recently made that choice. I did just use 10wt on a Gen1 FJR when upgrading the springs, for what that's worth. My friend it was for was happy with the results.
Got an email back from them this afternoon and they said 10wt as well. Must be a small company to be answering tech mail on Sunday, but I appreciate it.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:13 AM   #56
old77zrider

FWIW- Im not sure but I seem to remember that fork oil wt and engine oil wt ratings are different.
Please feel free to correct me on that if I am wrong.
old77zrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:19 AM   #57
oldjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old77zrider View Post
FWIW- Im not sure but I seem to remember that fork oil wt and engine oil wt ratings are different.
Please feel free to correct me on that if I am wrong.
Sure this is about fork oil. And I bought a liter of 10w Maxima Fork oil to do the fork rebuilds - as well as new seals and bushings.

For engine oil I just used Rotella T6 - 5w40 if I recall - the guy who sold me the bike gave me a couple gallons of engine oil and a couple of oil filters with it.
http://www.oldjeep.com
Old 06-24-2019, 10:22 AM   #58
old77zrider

Cant go wrong if its fork oil.....I just didn't want you to use engine oil if its not rated the same.

Is it?
old77zrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:28 AM   #59
oldjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old77zrider View Post
Cant go wrong if its fork oil.....I just didn't want you to use engine oil if its not rated the same.

Is it?
10w Maxima Fork oil is what I'm using in the forks. Fork oil is different than engine oil
Old 06-24-2019, 05:50 PM   #60
oldjeep

So, this bike is turning into one of those - can't judge a book by the cover or beauty is only skin deep things. As shiny as the bike is, it looks like the plugs and air filter havn't been serviced in this decade. And as for that stock plug wrench - if I were trapped in a cornfield in the middle of nowhere, I'd consider whittling one out of a corn cob before I used that thing

For the outside ones a magnetic plug socket and short extension works fine. For the center 2 a 12" flex extension works great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1254.jpg (141.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1255.jpg (161.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1256.jpg (141.7 KB, 38 views)

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion