click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry

Old 06-04-2019, 07:47 PM   #41
larry1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
Landline? What is this, 1979?
Doggone it, with your avatar I read all your posts in David Mitchell's voice-this was perfect!

Larry
larry1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:59 PM   #42
Desmo
Hello ladies...

He’s one of my faves and that bit is soooo good!!!
Old 06-05-2019, 09:30 PM   #43
Pat Glenn
Everything's Just Ducky

Quote:
That line has the same number it had in 1979 too.

Pat
Pat Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:40 AM   #44
loosenut
Now where did that come from?

Quote:
Comcast triple play. I basically get a free phone line.

1997 Honda GoldWing

2004 GasGas Pampera 280 (hers)[/color]
loosenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:36 PM   #45
Desmo
Hello ladies...

Maybe there’s hope. FCC approves letting carries auto block robocalls.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/06/tech/...fcc/index.html
Old 07-12-2019, 11:46 AM   #46
Desmo
Hello ladies...

att will start autoblocking fraud robo calls. But you’ll have to pay $4 a month to block spam.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.zdn...ll-cost-extra/

For iPhone users there is good news! iOS 13 will include a global “ignore unknown callers” option. You won’t even see the incoming call in the screen. It will go straight to voice mail and a small drop down message will let you know about it. (Only of the screen is on when the call comes in).
Old 07-12-2019, 01:06 PM   #47
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
I still keep one just so I can keep my cell phone as low profile as I can. I never give out my cell number to anyone but my friends, so both of them have it.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:23 PM   #48
Desmo
Hello ladies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
I still keep one just so I can keep my cell phone as low profile as I can. I never give out my cell number to anyone but my friends, so both of them have it.
What’s the reasoning here?

Fwiw I dumped my landline at least 10 years ago. Haven’t missed it.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:56 PM   #49
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
What’s the reasoning here?

Fwiw I dumped my landline at least 10 years ago. Haven’t missed it.
The landline is the only number I ever give out, so that's the one that gets 99% of the robo calls. I almost never get robo calls or spam on my cell phone.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Old 07-12-2019, 03:26 PM   #50
Desmo
Hello ladies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
The landline is the only number I ever give out, so that's the one that gets 99% of the robo calls. I almost never get robo calls or spam on my cell phone.
Not following the logic there.

Robocalls simply go down a list of numbers. Think of “war dialing” back in the day. Same idea but with a far higher volume. They don’t know who the number belongs to. They call them all.

Giving your number to someone doesn’t increase the odds of that happening to you. They call numbers by the millions.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:32 PM   #51
sloowpoke

Quote:
Not following the logic there.

Robocalls simply go down a list of numbers. Think of “war dialing” back in the day. Same idea but with a far higher volume. They don’t know who the number belongs to. They call them all.

Giving your number to someone doesn’t increase the odds of that happening to you. They call numbers by the millions.
That's a fine theory, but the reality is I also only get called once or twice a month on this cell phone that I never give out the number to. I've had this phone for seven years now.

I kept my landline until a couple years ago, when my ISP quit providing dialup internet services. It didn't even have a phone plugged in, just the modem. That's the number I gave out when some business asked for it. Now, I just give them the FTC's complaint line :-)
sloowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:37 PM   #52
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Some use robocall to mean an autodialer that dials a list of numbers and plays a pre-recorded message.

Whether the source of the list is simply all numbers in an exchange or a list collected by a political party, marketing etc -- they're both robocalls. Not giving your number out helps reduce one but not the other. The calls that target exchanges usually go after very high density urban areas since the chances the number's in use are much greater.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:48 PM   #53
Desmo
Hello ladies...

It’s not my “theory”. It’s literally how the process works.

Spammers don’t know who you call. They don’t harvest numbers and then call them back.

All NPA-Nxx numbers are public. They call all of them eventually.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:17 PM   #54
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

All I'm saying is that "robocalling" has been used to describe both targeted and non-targeted calling. It may be wrong but it's what I've seen for years.

Wiki's robocall page includes examples where voter databases of one party were used to call only those numbers and play a message saying their voting location changed. Many of the recent media stories on carriers being able to block calls use the term robocall to describe spam as you describe as well non-spam, targeted, calls like political messages.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:33 PM   #55
Desmo
Hello ladies...

To clarify my point. (I wasn’t replying to you John, sorry to not do a quote there)

It doesn’t matter if you give out your number to other people. That doesn’t put you on some sort of special “let’s spam these guys list”.

Peoples phone numbers aren’t a secret. They don’t suddenly become “known” if you tell others about them. And Millions of numbers are reused as well.

Here’s another anecdote. Bought my mom a cell phone in 2016. She never used it. I’d come by to visit and I’d check the phone to see how many minutes were left. There were always a bunch of spam voice mails on it. How’s that possible??

Anyway. Go ahead and Keep your number “secret” if it makes you feel better. Doesn’t do a fvcking thing.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:11 AM   #56
Cougar
Nerd Herder

The other reason that I keep the VOIP line is because it's so much more clear than a cell phone, especially when talking to someone else with a cell phone. I always use it if I'm home just because of that.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:52 PM   #57
skifffz1
Ride Hard, Pray Harder

I think it started for me around the first of the year. Drove me crazy. Then I got a bright idea. I'll just change one of my away msgs to read " This number can not take calls from any number with no caller ID!

PERFECT!

For about a week, or two then every number calling in had a name ALL IN CAPS

THESE guys are a lot of things, but dumb is not one of them...

Ride Hard, Pray Harder
Patriot Guard Rider

02 Gen I 139,621 miles.
Currently being converted to a Reverse Trike
"REV3/FZ1 Fusion"
Carbon Fiber Scorpion (shorty) slip-on, Gauge of Eternal Coolness, Passport w/H.A.R.D., R1 shift arm, Penski Shock, Braided front brake lines, Stabil air horn.

2001 Yamaha FZ1: 16,500 lost in barn fire 2007
1983 Yamaha XJ900 Seca: 53,000
1972 Kawasaki Tripple: 32,000
skifffz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:43 AM   #58
Todd S
I got into RR's pants!

Well, something happened and the phone number I've had for 20 or so years finally got into the hands of the spoof-callers. I probably get 5-15 a day, usually in bursts just a few minutes apart (I've gotten 8 in one hour). It's making me effing insane. I never answer and always decline the call, which is usually designed to look like my own number. Hate.

-T
Old 08-22-2019, 07:53 AM   #59
jared p
^ guy

Anyone else get the Chinese tourism robo calls? Those have been a fun one lately.
jared p is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry