read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear

Old 12-31-2018, 12:22 PM   #1
okrider

Considering Firstgear Kathmandu Jacket & Pants

Like the title states, I'm considering shelling out some $$ for the Firstgear Kathmandu jacket and matching pants. I like the pants because they come with suspenders.

I currently have Tourmaster Flex 3 jacket and pants. The jacket has a pen*s shaped back protector foam that I don't like and the pants have been falling apart for a while. They also have zippers on the inside of the legs, ready to scratch the paint on my gas tank.

My initial intent was to get the Rev'It Neptune GTX since it was on closeout but my size is sold out and the new season is way too expensive.

Does anyone own the Firstgear Kathmandu? How do you like it?
okrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:27 PM   #2
Cougar
Nerd Herder

A friend has the jacket and he loves it. I've considered getting one myself but I don't really need one. I have had the Flex I pants and jacket since about 2007 and they are still going strong.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:26 PM   #3
sloowpoke

The neck on FirstGear was always several sizes too small for me. I found FirstGear's summer riding jackets to be okay, since closing the neck wasn't important, but I never bought anything they made for cold weather riding.
sloowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:35 AM   #4
glory racing

Can't comment specifically on the Kathmandu but I have been using Firstgear TPG gear for many years with excellent results. Actually waterproof material as well. Have bought several different pieces and all have been good.

Since I have gained weight I now use suspenders I purchased at Wallyworld on the TPG pants. Works fine.
glory racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:59 AM   #5
bmidd
Yet Another Gen1

I have the Kilimanjaro jacket and Hypertex pants, good quality stuff. I only wear it during the winter/early spring though. I wear my Rev'IT stuff the rest of the year.
bmidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:47 PM   #6
WDD

I have the Kilimanjaro jacket and FirstGear mesh pants. I've been a fan of FirstGear for a while. If the Kathmandu has the features you want, you won't go wrong with the FirstGear quality.

(I also have the FirstGear mesh for summer.)
Old 05-07-2019, 04:36 PM   #7
B67

I have a full First Gear Kilimanjaro 37.5 2-piece suit. Crash tested it about 6 weeks ago when I got T-boned while I was doing about 40mph. I had no broken bones, kept all my skin on and the suit has only a few minor marks on the exterior of the pants. considering how high the witnesses said i flew before landing on the roadway on my low back, this suit help up amazingly and kept my body intact way better than I imagined it would. The water proofing is also quite good. I found mine on 2wheel.com for a total savings of about $150.

Regards,

tim

Last edited by B67; 05-10-2019 at 06:25 AM.
B67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:28 PM   #8
WileECoyote
ACME Test Subject

Location: Bridgeville PA, its not Ten Cee but okay for now......
As stated before, my only experience was with Kilimanjaro jacket. I tried one on and found the neck to be kinda tight. They make them that way so rain doesn't intrude. I found it a bit annoying as it grabbed my goatee hairs. So I passed. Probably should just shave.......

Very good equipment though, well built and worth the money.

2008 Ducati Hyper SOLD
2012 Aprilia V4 Tuono SOLD

My long lost love.......1987 FZ700
WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:39 AM   #9
Wonger

I had/have the old TPG Teton and matching over pants. It's quality stuff. It's not the coolest-wearing, but it is waterproof without requiring an additional liner, so it was worth it to me.
I definitely recommend firstgear stuff, and would also recommend motorcyclegear.com for Firstgear purchases. They usually have the best closeout deals for Firstgear... I also really like these guys..
https://www.motorcyclegear.com/
Old 05-09-2019, 05:47 AM   #10
isleoman

No specific guidance on Kilimanjaro but I have three other First Gear jackets that I love. Noose like necks are not an issue with any I own. I think it's specific to the Kilimanjaro.

I'm thinking New Enough needs some new dummies to the Huey, Dewey, Laverne and Shirley line up, maybe call them Adam and Jerry.

Last edited by isleoman; 05-09-2019 at 07:22 AM.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:29 AM   #11
B67

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
As stated before, my only experience was with Kilimanjaro jacket. I tried one on and found the neck to be kinda tight. They make them that way so rain doesn't intrude. I found it a bit annoying as it grabbed my goatee hairs. So I passed. Probably should just shave.......

Very good equipment though, well built and worth the money.
I guess the noose collar isn't really and issue for me since I have somewhat of a pencil neck. It is definitely tall though. It hits the helmet strap when I turn my head.

regards
B67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear