register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues

Old 04-14-2019, 05:44 AM   #1
dizy

Electrical issues help needed

I have 2003 FZ with an electrical issue. When I use the turn signal, high beam switch and if can comes on, the taxi needle drops below 0 and back up several times. Also the warning lights on Rach also flicker on and off. When the fan comes on, same thing happens. The bike runs great, no issues with engine. I did notice that the fan does not come on after few minutes of idling in neutral gear. When the fan does eventually come on, the fan goes on and off quickly along with tach needle acting up. The big white connector was replaced, and battery is almost new. Starting is not a problem. O m worried that thus problem will cause engine over heating since the fan seems to not stay on like it should. Any hel0 appreciated.
dizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:48 AM   #2
dizy

Sorry with misspelled words. I meant Tach and speed gauge flickering, needles going up and down, warning lights blinking when ever I use turn signal switch, high beam switch and when fan comes on.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:11 PM   #3
sloowpoke

It sounds like the wiring harness frame ground has developed some resistance. Every time the current load changes, the voltage reference changes also. It could also be a ground for the gauge cluster that's the problem.

Don't just check to see that connections are tight, disconnect them and clean the surfaces on both the frame and terminals.
sloowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:24 PM   #4
grommet
kinetic mentality

Lift up gas tank. Secure it with a 7 foot piece of rope hooked over the grab handle ends and under the tank hold-down bracket. Like this.

Remove the inner fairing panels and the front fairing. Be careful to not break the screw mount points in the fairing. Once all that is off, disconnect every connector you can see, one by one. Clean each with some contact cleaner (or WD40) and whatever small brush you can use to get inside the plugs. Reconnect each one a few times. Blow out with compressed air if you have it. The connectors can only go in one place each, so there's not a lot of danger of plugging them back in wrong.

If that doesn't solve the problem, flush the ignition switch with WD40. Spray a ton of it in there, working the key in and out and turning the key a few times. Put a rag under it to catch the stuff that comes out.

Report back after all that.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:03 AM   #5
dizy

Thanks for the advice. Will try your recommendations. Can the turn signal/high beam switches cause the problem too? Are the in the same circuit with gauge cluster
Old 04-15-2019, 09:37 AM   #6
grommet
kinetic mentality

The drivers are in the gauge cluster but the switch gear on the handlebars can also get dirty inside. I doubt that's the problem but it won't hurt to open them up and clean them.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:42 PM   #7
gregn8r

Have you found the issue? I am having the exact same issues, got stranded on the side of the highway when my battery died. It turns out the inline fuse holder I installed as part of the "white connector delete" had completely melted, I don't know yet though if it was just a poor quality part or if its part of a bigger problem
gregn8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:47 AM   #8
Dean Dinnetz

And I had the same problem, about two years ago. Fresh battery, the gauges went crazy, bike stopped and started, and then the bike died. The %&%$#* connector had almost burned out. Went to the place I was staying with pals on our tour, and we hard wired all five wires together. No more problems period, since.

Dean
Dean Dinnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:35 AM   #9
dizy

Found the problem, it was the rectifier, it is not working. My FZ died on me while going to work, had to be towed back to home. Bad day yesterday. The white connector was replaced long time ago, so that is not the problem for me. You guys should check rectifier, many YouTube videos to show you how to do it. I guess there is a big issue with charging sustem with this bike, not very happy with Yamaha.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 1 Problems & Issues