register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 10-13-2018, 07:22 PM   #21
ballmead
I like em Naked

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFM674 View Post

0725181109b by AFM470, on Flickr

https://youtu.be/XAvqCHxZM98 2017 1100cc V4 Factory dyno
Your bike look awesome.

On my 50th Birthday next year I'll be selling my FZ1 and buying either an MT09 or 10? I've had the FZ1 since 2010 (bought new) and feel it's time for a change.

I'm still undecided as to which one yet but I'm leaning towards the MT10.
2010 FZ1N - Mivv Speed Edge with Arrow headers - Ivan's ECU flash - PCV - Modded Airbox with DNA air filter - 49T rear sprocket - 2008 R1 Forks and brakes - Penske 8983 rear shock - LighTech rear sets
ballmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:41 PM   #22
Damascus

AFM674, nice looking bike. The short range doesn't work for me, but damn that is a lot of bike for the money.
Past: 1981 Kawasaki 440 LTD, 2000 Yamaha VStar 1100, 1999 Honda Valkyrie GL1500C, 2002 Honda VFR800 Interceptor, 2002 Yamaha FZ1, 2000 H-D Sportster XL1200, 2006 Suzuki GSXR 1000, 2008 Yamaha FJR1300, 2010 H-D Road King 103, 2011 Triumph Speed Triple 1050.
Present: 2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring
Damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:30 AM   #23
Wonger

My best advice would be to seek out Stoltec moto. He got it pretty dialed in for the track. R1 rear sprocket (Smaller) and a longer chain got the wheelbase back to where you could exit at full throttle in 2nd and 3rd. He has a rear shock that works very well too.

I know Nels is 'the guy' for tuning these things at 2WDW, but I did NOT like it at all. Way too much engine braking and their idea of smooth fueling doesn't jive with the my experience of Ivan's tuning on my '08 FZ1. My S1000XR's fueling is about the same as Ivan's FZ1, but less linear since I've still got the computer working the exhaust valves and throttle valve rates. The FZ10 just wasn't there yet. I see a lot of people giving pleased statements about their tunes, but just as many are having to send them back often because, "The first tune wasn't quite right." I think that part is more of a management and process issue as they don't really seem to listen to what the customer asks for. Their after-sales support seems good as they don't disappear and always offer to reflash it for you, but I just think they are not quite there yet.

My $.02 on exhaust would be to either get the R1 headers (Ti) and Akra exhaust for the full Ti system. Or change headers if you like, but use a Mivv midpipe and muffler of your choosing, either the Suono or speed edge/oval. They are quieter than the stock muffler, but you need it since without the CAT exhaust under the bike, these are brutally loud, and you can order Mivv from PJ, which is always great. It's really high quality stuff and he has the best prices. SC project are my favorite right now for most bikes, but you would have to custom order the larger muffler for a decatted bike or for the R1. The Stock muffler is just as loud as that yosh you have or the accessory Akra slip-on. They're all straight-through. The Comp Werkes and Austin Racing sound cool, but they get pretty annoying after 30-40 minutes or any type of non-balls out riding. You'll need the Mivv or larger SC muffler to run in Monterrey anyway for noise abatement, I'm telling you , uncorked these (and the R1's are f'ing loud).

Last edited by Wonger; 10-15-2018 at 06:54 AM.
Wonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:21 AM   #24
AFM674
Getting into turn 4 at Sonoma

Location: Santa Cruz, Ca-New Gen3 17' FZ10-trick already, but big mods are coming. My FZ1 smokes it right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonger View Post
My best advice would be to seek out Stoltec moto. He got it pretty dialed in for the track. R1 rear sprocket (Smaller) and a longer chain got the wheelbase back to where you could exit at full throttle in 2nd and 3rd. He has a rear shock that works very well too.

I know Nels is 'the guy' for tuning these things at 2WDW, but I did NOT like it at all. Way too much engine braking and their idea of smooth fueling doesn't jive with the my experience of Ivan's tuning on my '08 FZ1. My S1000XR's fueling is about the same as Ivan's FZ1, but less linear since I've still got the computer working the exhaust valves and throttle valve rates. The FZ10 just wasn't there yet. I see a lot of people giving pleased statements about their tunes, but just as many are having to send them back often because, "The first tune wasn't quite right." I think that part is more of a management and process issue as they don't really seem to listen to what the customer asks for. Their after-sales support seems good as they don't disappear and always offer to reflash it for you, but I just think they are not quite there yet.

My $.02 on exhaust would be to either get the R1 headers (Ti) and Akra exhaust for the full Ti system. Or change headers if you like, but use a Mivv midpipe and muffler of your choosing, either the Suono or speed edge/oval. They are quieter than the stock muffler, but you need it since without the CAT exhaust under the bike, these are brutally loud, and you can order Mivv from PJ, which is always great. It's really high quality stuff and he has the best prices. SC project are my favorite right now for most bikes, but you would have to custom order the larger muffler for a decatted bike or for the R1. The Stock muffler is just as loud as that yosh you have or the accessory Akra slip-on. They're all straight-through. The Comp Werkes and Austin Racing sound cool, but they get pretty annoying after 30-40 minutes or any type of non-balls out riding. You'll need the Mivv or larger SC muffler to run in Monterrey anyway for noise abatement, I'm telling you , uncorked these (and the R1's are f'ing loud).
Thanks Wonger,

The guy I bought it from said it's too loud with out the cat and the stock exhaust. I have a link pipe, but I don't know which one it is...I'll ask him. I bought an R1 exhaust & Ti headers...already has Nels flash, but will get some proper dyno runs done next spring to get it dialed in some more as far as drive ability goes and engine braking. I took it out with a very fast group on tires I don't usually run and have never bought since the mid 80's (Michelin) and poor stock revalved suspension that I don't like. I thought I would be mid pack with this group...especially since I wasn't clicking with the FZ10 yet. Well ridden hard it wasn't bad and I was killing these guys...leaving darkies out of turns I was told by the group fast guy. Anyway...enough bench racing...I'm going to make this the baddest FZ10 in the USA or one of the baddest. I could just buy a 17' R1 and trick it out...but that wouldn't be any fun and it wouldn't be an FZ cool naked bike. R1 in a few years maybe. I'll post up my FZ10 build with full details and pics. It's going to be wicked trick. I still ride my trusty and favorite 09' bad boy daily...it's also the favorite for my occasional trackdays. The FZ10 will get a trackday try out next year. Later Fizzers

09' FZ1
Mods:CRG Levers - Sargent Seats - SS Lines F&R - EBC R Rotor - Vesrah XX Pads - Braking SK2 Frt Rotors - Ohlins Shock - 08 R1 forks - K-Tech 24SSRK C & R Valves - Vortex R/Sets, Apex clipons - Superlite 44t Rear & 15t C/S - 520 ERV3 Gold Chain - Gear Indicator - Graves Full Exh - Ivanized ECU - Hyper Pro Damper - Annitori QS - Graves Stacks - BMC Filter/Airbox Mod - Brembo RCS19 - 1/6 R6 throttle - ZG DB Screen.
AFM674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:42 AM   #25
Wonger

If you're going for that, just keep your eyes peeled for wrecked R1 and R1M engines. It'll get you a lot farther than tuning the FZ/R1S motor.
Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM   #26
bplaxton

subscribed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFM674 View Post
Thanks Wonger,

The guy I bought it from said it's too loud with out the cat and the stock exhaust. I have a link pipe, but I don't know which one it is...I'll ask him. I bought an R1 exhaust & Ti headers...already has Nels flash, but will get some proper dyno runs done next spring to get it dialed in some more as far as drive ability goes and engine braking. I took it out with a very fast group on tires I don't usually run and have never bought since the mid 80's (Michelin) and poor stock revalved suspension that I don't like. I thought I would be mid pack with this group...especially since I wasn't clicking with the FZ10 yet. Well ridden hard it wasn't bad and I was killing these guys...leaving darkies out of turns I was told by the group fast guy. Anyway...enough bench racing...I'm going to make this the baddest FZ10 in the USA or one of the baddest. I could just buy a 17' R1 and trick it out...but that wouldn't be any fun and it wouldn't be an FZ cool naked bike. R1 in a few years maybe. I'll post up my FZ10 build with full details and pics. It's going to be wicked trick. I still ride my trusty and favorite 09' bad boy daily...it's also the favorite for my occasional trackdays. The FZ10 will get a trackday try out next year. Later Fizzers
2006 shift red, TBR slip-on, cat gutted, modded flies, lars airbox, Ivan's ECU flash and map, DJ PCIII, AIS block, Blind Spot's fuel line, EXUP eliminator, speedohealer, ventura tail rack, HID conversion, throttlemeister bar ends, yamaha gel seat, Watsen Design signals, Satan666 adaptor & R1 shock, Fen Tubo SS lines.
bplaxton is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion