register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 07-14-2018, 10:55 AM   #41
9Lives

Wink

Just one thing to note, the cops in BC are not allowed to chase you at high speeds. Not that I have ever done that.

9Lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:01 AM   #42
grommet
kinetic mentality

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Lives View Post
Just one thing to note, the cops in BC are not allowed to chase you at high speeds. Not that I have ever done that.
Oh. That's good to know.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:05 AM   #43
grommet
kinetic mentality

Haines photos:

Wednesday we put my BIL's sailboat in the harbor. He has a slip there but had not put it in since last summer. They take it out over the winter so they don't have to go down there to check on it when it's dark and very cold.

While there we got a nice treat:

Wednesday is cruise ship day:

Thursday we walked around town a bit, went shopping, then went for a short hike a little ways down the penninsula:

They're not much for rules around here:

Nature is right here:

Fireweed:

Friday it was very nice out and so we went sailing:

My sister Natalie and mrs grommet:

motoring out:

My BIL Sam:

Getting out into Lynn Canal (no one knows why it's called a canal. It's actually a fjord.) The channel to the right is the way up to Skagway. The water is 1200 feet deep in that channel.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:14 AM   #44
grommet
kinetic mentality

Video from our sailing trip:

https://youtu.be/dj_u460Xmlc

Old 07-14-2018, 11:46 AM   #45
9Lives

Just a couple of things if you decide to take this route.

Take it easy from Wistler to Vancouver, they call it the sea to sky hiway. The cops patrol this streach heavealy. You might want to stop in Wistler and have a look around, very beautiful, this is where the skiing events were held during the winter Olympics a few years ago.

Try to time it so you don't go through Vancouver from about 3pm - 7:30 pm to avoid the afternoon rush. No problem during the morning rush because the traffic is headed the other way.

Have a great trip
Old 07-14-2018, 01:31 PM   #46
9Lives

Just had a closer look at your map on Google maps. Your going to skip an amazing ride by taking Hwy 1 instead of Hwy 99. Oh well, I will take some pics on my trip this year. You can ignore the stuff I said in my previous post, doesn't apply to the route you picked.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:15 PM   #47
grommet
kinetic mentality

Yeah I was looking at both ways and must have copied the link from the other map. We're talking about giving ourselves another half day on the return to take in that extra distance.

Looks like a great road.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:13 PM   #48
hotboot
pony boy carry me home

Wow. Spectacular pictures man, nice video. Your notations express the respect and awe riding a bike there brings. Safe travels.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:36 PM   #49
Torchsport
Deer Whisperer

I was just a bit south of you on San juan island Washington a few days ago. My cell phone was roaming Canada as we were just 10 miles from the border. Beautiful area!
2006 Harley Davidson V-Rod Street Rod (*Not a real Harley)
2003 Yamaha YZF-R1 (My favorite generation)

*My reply: If you dont like motorcycles that handle/perform as one should, then yeah...the V-Rod is NOT a real Harley.
Torchsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:44 PM   #50
Racer Boy
I'm married to a Norwegian!

Sounds like quite a trip! Where are you from, grommet? I'm guessing it's someplace flat!

Here is an idea to ponder; instead of turning south off of the Crow's Nest Highway to go through Idaho, keep heading eat on Hwy3 until you get into Alberta, then turn south to go through Glacier National Park, which is spectacular. JEP and I did that trip a few years ago, and it was pretty nice.

The Crows Nest Hwy is pretty awesome, until you get into Alberta where it flattens out, but it isn't far until you turn south to Glacier.

I have to say, that car tire just doesn't look right!
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:13 AM   #51
grommet
kinetic mentality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchsport View Post
I was just a bit south of you on San juan island Washington a few days ago. My cell phone was roaming Canada as we were just 10 miles from the border. Beautiful area!
Someday I will do a tour of the PNW, and do all the San Juan Islands. I know there is a lot of pretty country up there to explore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
Sounds like quite a trip! Where are you from, grommet? I'm guessing it's someplace flat!

Here is an idea to ponder; instead of turning south off of the Crow's Nest Highway to go through Idaho, keep heading eat on Hwy3 until you get into Alberta, then turn south to go through Glacier National Park, which is spectacular. JEP and I did that trip a few years ago, and it was pretty nice.

The Crows Nest Hwy is pretty awesome, until you get into Alberta where it flattens out, but it isn't far until you turn south to Glacier.

I have to say, that car tire just doesn't look right!
I'm from Arizona, but I live in Kansas now.

I will check out going through Glacier. mrs grommet wants to go through there somehow too, so I'll see what kind of a route I can work out.

Don't look right but it loves to go fast and doesn't wear.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:26 AM   #52
jredford
Musical Metal

I second the run through US Glacier. Having done it a couple of times, I would encourage you to go through the park early.

Oh - and watch out for the mountain goats.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:50 AM   #53
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Awesome Pat, just awesome! Did you run into any cold temps running thru a mountain pass?
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:02 PM   #54
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Just read this and got caught up. All I gotta say is: NEATO and I WANNA GO. Freaking awesome. And use that CT! FTW
Old 07-21-2018, 06:06 AM   #55
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Awesome photos! I was going to ride my Super T to Reddding CA from CO to meet up with friends and then head up to Canada, but it is so damn hot I had to pass. Riding 1250 miles 2x in 97 degree heat on I-80 just to to get to CA is not my idea of a good time. Asked them to wait a month, but they are bound and determined to go up there now. Oh well. Living vicariously though your pics

My plan now is to wait until October when the parks not so busy, rent a small travel trailer, throw the Husaberg FE450 (which is plated) in the back of the truck and take Mrs. Duke with me

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:14 AM   #56
grommet
kinetic mentality

So. We're back on the road. In Oliver, BC right now.

Got to ride about 300 miles of the Cassiar on the way down, but that's it so far. A few things came up. Our car was due for its 20k service so we made an appointment with the Toyota dealer in Prince George to have that done yesterday. Along the way somewhere I noticed that the main C-channel that makes the rail of my bike trailer was cracked through from top to bottom on one side and it was beginning to sag in back where it supports the rear wheel. I could see it would not make it home without help. So we found a weld shop in PG right after the oil change and had it fixed. There is now another, stronger, channel inside the original and it's much better.

While at the weld shop we noticed the bike is leaking gas. The vent fitting on the tank gave me some trouble a while back and I thought I had fixed it but apparently not. Many of the SD tanks have had trouble with these molded-in fittings. So this morning Im going to look at seeing if I can fix that.

Just a few more pics so far of the way back. I'll post them and a lot more from in Alaska when I get home. Hopefully tank will be fixed today and I'll get in some good riding on hwy 3 going east from here today.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:54 AM   #57
grommet
kinetic mentality

Here in Oliver they have Upick cherries. They are so good. We're stopped and loading up.

Yum.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:30 PM   #58
Fidel

Glad you enjoyed the Stewart-Cassiar Hwy. I used to work up there and have spent many nights at Bell II and Dease Lake. That ride never got old and was great to see it change from summer to winter.
Iron Butt Member #27197
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:37 AM   #59
grommet
kinetic mentality

Made it back to Wichita safely last night at 2AM.

The ride east on BC 3 from Osoyoos was fantastic. Very nice country, good road. Glacier was not in the cards for this year because we were short on miles and time to get home, so we'll need to come back for that. We dropped down through Libby, MT on US 2, which is alright but not great. Views were nice but the surface is really rough.

Rode mountains in Wyoming and Colorado yesterday. Hwy 26/89 from Alpine, WY up the Snake River valley to 191, then 191 to Daniel. Then 70 from Baggs, WY, to Riverside, then south to Walden, CO. Was planning to go south to Granby then over the mountains through Estes Park, but time was short so I went east from Walden on 14 over Cameron Pass to Fort Collins.

3670 miles in 4 days. Most of it in the car, but a long way even so.

I'm back at work today. Normal life is hard to get back to after a trip like this. I have more pics and some video to work on, which I'll post over the next few days. Let's do it again

Old 07-25-2018, 05:30 PM   #60
Lickety Split

To cope with post vacation depression, I usually start planning the next one. Speaking of, I pulled Glacier from my next ride. Perhaps we can all ride up there next year. Glad you are back safe and sound.
Lickety Split is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion