register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 07-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #1
Torchsport
Horsepower Whisperer

Now it's the Millenials fault

More excuses for why Harley sales are declining.

So how about you build bikes some of us gen x'ers and boomers might like!

http://www.businessinsider.com/mille...n-sales-2017-7
2003 Yamaha YZF-R1 (My favorite generation)

*My reply: If you dont like motorcycles that handle/perform as one should, then yeah...the V-Rod is NOT a real Harley.
Torchsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:19 AM   #2
fermic37

I laughed when I saw that article. MAYBE its because most of us cant afford a overpriced, poorly engineered, lawn ornament. When you can get much much more for your money when you're not paying for a nice paint job and a name.
fermic37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:52 AM   #3
mattg
Not lost, just unfound.

The Harley sales base is getting old, and they have nothing that really appeals to the younger generation (who don't seem too interested in bikes, or cars for that matter) and then of course there is the elephant in the room that they will never speak of, that being Indian of course. Indian has given the traditional American cruiser rider a very attractive alternative. The Scout alone makes the Sportster seem even more like the dinosaur that it is. If Harley plans on turning this around, they are going to really have to leave their comfort zone and offer something different. They had the opportunity with Buell, but we all know how that went.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:24 AM   #4
LDH

http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...dying.1238340/

Active thread on advrider along the same lines
LDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:55 AM   #5
WileECoyote
Meathead Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg View Post
The Harley sales base is getting old, and they have nothing that really appeals to the younger generation (who don't seem too interested in bikes, or cars for that matter) and then of course there is the elephant in the room that they will never speak of, that being Indian of course. Indian has given the traditional American cruiser rider a very attractive alternative. The Scout alone makes the Sportster seem even more like the dinosaur that it is. If Harley plans on turning this around, they are going to really have to leave their comfort zone and offer something different. They had the opportunity with Buell, but we all know how that went.

Reference Buell................rather poorly. Started in the right direction with the Blast to introduce new riders only to have a shit support network. I.E. Harley dealerships. I had a 2001 X1 Lightening that was brilliant. Handled, actually comfy and had a decent motor.
Only went to HD for filters and oil. The two times I went in, treated poorly by parts guy. Second time, same shit, then was asked by the sales manager why I didn't just buy a "real" bike. Tried hawking the Street Glide............. I told him that I have maybe 1/4 in the Buell of what the Glide would cost. And it wouldn't make me any happier to spend that kind of money on a bike. Just not worth it.
Co rider and mechanic, No current wins, cant seem to get around them anvils........sometimes tunnels arent really open......falls from cliffs usually slow me down..........WTF, where'd that piano come from?
Currently: Aprilia Tuono, 09 FZ1, 06 FZ1, 89 FZR1000, '02 XR650L THE TRACTOR
My long lost love.......1987 FZ700
WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:07 AM   #6
glory racing

Don't know it it has been discussed before but.... was watching some of the X games yesterday of which HD was a sponsor. That says they are targeting a younger demo. However, that is not why I am posting. The commercial which aired was awful. It showed a rider snaking through town/traffic in an aggressive manner. And at the end actually showed the rider making a right turn from the left lane in front of another vehicle!!! Couldn't believe such a display of riding would be promoted. Awful!!!
glory racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:10 AM   #7
bradd
Working away

Harley is trying, but not hard enough. Read the Street Rod vs FZ7 review in the latest Cycleworld. The Street Rod is a huge step in the right direction, a liquid cooled 750 with dual disks up front. Was only 2hp behind the FZ7.

But $2000 more
over 1000lbs more
Cycle world said the fit and finish was better on the Yamaha.

With all that being said that is still way closer than Harley has come in the past, they need to stop with the cruiser styling and shed some weight. I don't think management really gets it, but we'll see what happens.

New engineer at work fresh out of college is interested in bikes, I told him to take the MSF class at the community college and see what bikes he likes the best there. He is taking it this weekend so we'll see.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:26 AM   #8
Rttoys
insurance poor

Quote:
If Harley plans on turning this around, they are going to really have to leave their comfort zone and offer something different. .
This is the key right here. The old die-hard's will always be there, its in their DNA. HD needs something truly "entry level", then an entire "young, fun and affordable" line of bikes. And I'm not talking Harley young, fun and affordable. They need to actually be competitive in performance, value and price to its Japanese counterparts.

'07 Yamaha FZ1- Micron GP slip-on, kitty gutted, Ivan's flies, Ivan's ECU programming, Exup eliminated, AIS blocked, air box mod, BMC filter, PCIII, synchronized throttle bodies, Corbin seat, Powerbronze screen, FZ6 Handlebars, Throttlemeister, Dunlop Q3

2009 Ducati Hypermotard
2014 Yamaha TW200
2013 Kawaski Ninja 300
2018 Honda Grom 125

FZ1- exhaust sound clip
2012 Honda Fury sound clip

CMRA #982
Rttoys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:27 AM   #9
grommet
kinetic mentality

Quote:
Originally Posted by glory racing View Post
Don't know it it has been discussed before but.... was watching some of the X games yesterday of which HD was a sponsor. That says they are targeting a younger demo. However, that is not why I am posting. The commercial which aired was awful. It showed a rider snaking through town/traffic in an aggressive manner. And at the end actually showed the rider making a right turn from the left lane in front of another vehicle!!! Couldn't believe such a display of riding would be promoted. Awful!!!
Appealing to the base. I've seen all that with HD riders.

To be fair, from sport riders too. But I think they did it on purpose. It fits the "I don't follow your rules! Do what I want so FU!!" lifestyle that many of those guys thrive on.

From what I see, HD offers the rising generation nothing they want or need.

Every product has a life cycle. Big names have fallen. More will do the same in the future, because they don't keep up.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:14 AM   #10
organ donor

Well Harley is certainly trying to appeal to millennials by blaming someone else for something that is their own fault.
organ donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:21 AM   #11
t84a
Real Bikers Pedal

The motorcycle industry in general is struggling.

Yosh R77 Titanium slip on, Cat gut, Graves AIS block off plates, EXUP Eliminator, LARs airbox mod, K&N filter, Ivan's ECU re-flash, PCV, Ivan's PCV map, Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Forks, Satan666 R1 shock adapter w/R1 shock, Satan666 pegs, dirt road seats, Z1000 mirrors.

JOIN THE AMA

Helmet Fact
My local powder coater
t84a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:23 AM   #12
Rttoys
insurance poor

Quote:
Originally Posted by organ donor View Post
Well Harley is certainly trying to appeal to millennials by blaming someone else for something that is their own fault.

'07 Yamaha FZ1- Micron GP slip-on, kitty gutted, Ivan's flies, Ivan's ECU programming, Exup eliminated, AIS blocked, air box mod, BMC filter, PCIII, synchronized throttle bodies, Corbin seat, Powerbronze screen, FZ6 Handlebars, Throttlemeister, Dunlop Q3

2009 Ducati Hypermotard
2014 Yamaha TW200
2013 Kawaski Ninja 300
2018 Honda Grom 125

FZ1- exhaust sound clip
2012 Honda Fury sound clip

CMRA #982
Rttoys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:56 AM   #13
WileECoyote
Meathead Extraordinaire

Quote:
Indeed! So true...........................
Co rider and mechanic, No current wins, cant seem to get around them anvils........sometimes tunnels arent really open......falls from cliffs usually slow me down..........WTF, where'd that piano come from?
Currently: Aprilia Tuono, 09 FZ1, 06 FZ1, 89 FZR1000, '02 XR650L THE TRACTOR
My long lost love.......1987 FZ700
WileECoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:21 PM   #14
Damascus

Quote:
The Harley sales base is getting old, and they have nothing that really appeals to the younger generation (who don't seem too interested in bikes, or cars for that matter) ...
Appealing to Millennials is a lost cause. It's too hard to text while riding, so any bike Harley offers them is DOA.

Harley refused to make competitive sport/standard/adventure/whatever bikes for too long and that's what will do them in.

They clung to that museum piece philosophy until the only place you will be able to find a "real" Harley will be in a museum.

They'll probably be bought by the Chinese who will crank out a bunch of "fake" Harley's for a while. Then Harley scooters for a while. And then wrap it up as a clothing brand only.

Reminds me of studies on GM and their refusal to adapt for a long time until they finally woke up. Could be too late in Harley's case. Sad, silly stuff.
Past: 1981 Kawasaki 440 LTD, 2000 Yamaha VStar 1100, 1999 Honda Valkyrie GL1500C, 2002 Honda VFR800 Interceptor, 2002 Yamaha FZ1, 2000 H-D Sportster XL1200, 2006 Suzuki GSXR 1000, 2008 Yamaha FJR1300, 2010 H-D Road King 103, 2011 Triumph Speed Triple 1050.
Present: 2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring

Last edited by Damascus; 07-17-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #15
giddyup

Will project LiveWire help?
http://www.harley-davidson.com/conte...-livewire.html

Never been a huge fan of Harleys as I want a bike that does things quickly (accelerate, stop, turn etc...) when avoiding cage drivers.
Only exception I have (cosmetically) would be a Harley turned into a sweet looking café racer or flat tracker.
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:39 PM   #16
fermic37

Quote:

You win the internet for the day
Old 07-17-2017, 02:17 PM   #17
russperry

I was shocked on the 4th of July by a cousin talking about getting a motorcycle - he's about 30ish, and told me that he wants to refurb a '70s CB350 cuz that's what all his buddies are talking about. Something that's cool but not like everything else out there. Who knew that those old things were going to be cool again?
Old 07-17-2017, 03:31 PM   #18
fermic37

Well groms are the new cool things for hipsters to ride in gangs with. It's a strange time
Old 07-17-2017, 04:57 PM   #19
organ donor

Hey now I roll with a group of guys on z125's and one grom and there isn't a hipster among us. We're actually all kind of redneck/hooligan jackasses. Although I am drinking a PBR right now so.....
organ donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #20
fermic37

Haha as a toy yes. But the ones who try and be taken seriously are the odd ones.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > General Motorcycle Discussion