register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 2 Problems & Issues

Old 08-09-2015, 02:07 PM   #1
monty1412
MONTY1412

Thermostat bypass- Aux Radiator

Have posted before re Gen 11 overheating... living in Bangkok where its always warm I have suffered from high temps and roasted legs.... removed thermostat yesterday and checked using the old time honoured pot on the stove with old thermometer... Thermostat is marked 71C but only opened at 81C... have left it out as figure with heat here really dont need a thermostat and if I do go up north on a ride during winter it only really gets down to 15C min morning so can pete it idle a bit to warm up....

Just wondering now that thermostat is out the housing doesn't need to be kept , in fact theoretically you could take one long rad hose to make a closed loop....
But just wondering has anyone ever looked at aux radiator for the FZ1.. tried searching forum but no luck.....
monty1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:59 AM   #2
Bruce in Tucson

I've heard that completely removing the thermostat can cause too fast a flow and the engine will/can actually run hotter. The solution is to gut the thermostat part but leave the base of the thermostat in it's location.
Bruce in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:32 AM   #3
Tom66

Hi I also live in Bangkok now used to be down south in Hua Hin I have a Gen 1 2003 and now also a Gen 2 2009 FZ1. The only way I got the Gen 1 to not puke out all its coolant was to completely remove the thermostat, and use a combination of 50% factory type coolant mixed with water, PLUS the recommended amount of Purple Ice 'super coolant' by Royal Purple.

I am now going to remove the thermostat from the Gen 2 as well, because even with a recent cooling system clean and flush, new coolant and Purple Ice it is still running 205 - 210 f at highway speeds. Hope this drops the temp a bit.

I haven't done any of the mods on the Gen 2 yet, only had it a while. Seat is crap, can not go 1/2 hour without severe discomfort. Tried a Air Hawk, but that allows too much movement of your butt, and you can not feel what the bike is doing. Gonna have to look for a gel pad or something, and reshape the seat to a flatter config to stop it shoving your knackers up into the tank all the time.

Actually prefer the 2003 power delivery and handling over the new one, wish I hadn't sold my 929rr.... better bike ;-)
Tom66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:51 PM   #4
Tom66

So pulled out the thermostat and test rode this morning. Cool day in Bangkok only 82 degrees F. Runs 205 - 210 at 30- 45 mph goes to 217 after stopping for traffic light. both fans come on at 212 and bring it back down to about 205 fairly quickly. Seems hot to me, but within working limits I guess.
I wish fans would come on at say 200 F
Tom66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:09 PM   #5
klj7734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom66 View Post
So pulled out the thermostat and test rode this morning. Cool day in Bangkok only 82 degrees F. Runs 205 - 210 at 30- 45 mph goes to 217 after stopping for traffic light. both fans come on at 212 and bring it back down to about 205 fairly quickly. Seems hot to me, but within working limits I guess.
I wish fans would come on at say 200 F
I know you can run an bypass switch to the fans so you can manually turn them off and on. I believe there may be a write up on it somewhere on the forum.

Here you go:

http://www.angelfire.com/ia/z/FZ1fanswitch.htm
klj7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:04 AM   #6
didier9

In general, it's not a good idea to remove the thermostat because the engine tolerances are calculated for a given operating temperature range and the oil has the required viscosity only within that temperature range. Without the thermostat the engine may run cooler when it's not as warm outside and that could cause increased wear.
Now, the FZ1 engine is pretty bullet-proof and I don't think it will hurt it if you run like this for a little while while you develop a long term fix, but you should try to find a fix that does not require removing the thermostat.

Edit: a normally working thermostat should have negligible effect on flow when it's completely open, so if it opens completely at the right temperature, the engine should not overheat. If the thermostat is working right but the engine still overheats, maybe the coolant flow is restricted some other way, or the engine is running lean, or the fan is not working right or the radiator is clogged/dirty (inside or outside).

I live in Florida and while we do not have big traffic jams here, we do have some long traffic lights and it does get hot and humid. It's not unusual to be stopped for 2 minutes at a light. My bike (gen 1, Ivan's kit) is not the worst problem when I am stopped at a red light, the sun usually is

Last edited by didier9; 07-21-2017 at 08:02 AM.
didier9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:13 AM   #7
fermic37

You can have your ECU flashed to make your fans come on much earlier.
fermic37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:09 PM   #8
LDH

The puking of the coolant is because of localized boiling in the cylinder head because of a weak radiator cap (lowered boiling point) , replace with a new stock one or an aftermarket unit that is higher pressure like the graves unit or one from the Kawasaki dirt bikes. 1.7-2.0 bar. Fixed my r1 when I had same symptoms.
LDH is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > FZ1 Problems & Issues > Gen 2 Problems & Issues