register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance

Old 09-07-2018, 07:06 PM   #21
isleoman

https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a...17e/carburetor

This may be old hat to you but I had to go back and figure out how the adjuster works.

The adjuster Item 51 looks like it just ends in space, but if you look over just below Item 35 you can see the double forked bracket that holds the throttle cables, and just below that you can see the round cam attached to the left side of the carb. The two throttle cables ride on it. That round cam is at the center between the 4 carbs. There is a stop on that cam that Item 51 pushed up on to adjust idle.

Now if you look at Item 66, the screw and two springs, they also screw into the round cam. I believe that Item 66 is used to sync the carbs.

This made me think an out of sync set of carbs could be your problem. It's tough to see that adjustment screw with out a strong led flashlight and knowing where to look. It's also a little tough to sync carbs when the idle is off. But you've got to start somewhere. Do you have the tools for a sync?

PS Arkie suggested carb sync in Post 7, but I remembered back to struggling with idle on my bike during a carb sync.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:57 AM   #22
firefly
2004 FZ1

Since the first post I parked the bike until I have more time to deal with it, could a stuck or a none functioning EXUP cause the idle to hang at > 3000 RPMs? & make it impossible to adjust the TPS ? since the first post the battery also dies but I bought a new battery and will be installing it today.
Thanks for all the help.
firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:42 AM   #23
klj7734
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly View Post
Since the first post I parked the bike until I have more time to deal with it, could a stuck or a none functioning EXUP cause the idle to hang at > 3000 RPMs? & make it impossible to adjust the TPS ? since the first post the battery also dies but I bought a new battery and will be installing it today.
Thanks for all the help.
When was the last time you pulled the carbs, cleaned them and synced them?
klj7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:04 AM   #24
firefly
2004 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by klj7734 View Post
When was the last time you pulled the carbs, cleaned them and synced them?
I just bought the bike, it has slightly less than 17K, I don't think the previous owner took the carbs out, the bike drove fairly well when I took it, it had a very loud obnoxious pipe which I replaced with the stock one that I got from the owner, a little after that the idle started hanging higher and higher, tried to adjust the TPS but it won't hold the adjustment, I tested it on my other FZ & it works well so its not the TPS.
I also put in some carb cleaner on a full gas tank.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:06 AM   #25
NMWBT

I replaced the TPS on my 03 because the old one was broken. After doing that and other mods, the throttle would hang. I would have to twist the throttle to lower the idle. Turns out the small seal in the TPS was the culprit. I removed the seal and problem disappeared!
NMWBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:36 PM   #26
hooligan998
Save a life, grope your wife!

Maybe try setting the TPS Ivan's way. Not sure if it will make a difference, but it's worth a shot I would think.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:04 AM   #27
Falcon 269
Just passing through

This is not a TPS problem. Forget it, you're just wasting brain power on the wrong thing.

The ECU doesn't contribute much to the idle characteristics of a carb-equipped motor. Maybe ignition timing but if that was way out, it wouldn't idle at all and would sound like a bag of spanners.

To me, there is something affecting the ability of the throttle valves to close. So, it's mechanical in the linkage or the throttle cables. I'd start by winding the cable adjuster at the bar end right in so you have way more slack than you need. Snap the throttle and ensure that it really is closing clean and fast to the throttle stop.

I'd then wind the idle adjuster out while watching the end of the adjuster from above the carbs. These checks are all tank-off, BTW. Don't wind it out completely (difficult to refit) but ensure that no longer contacts the carb linkage.

If the idle still won't drop, I'd suspect the carb synch linkages. If they're seriously out of whack, that could be the cause. Synch the carbs and see what you get.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:30 AM   #28
hooligan998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon 269 View Post
This is not a TPS problem. Forget it, you're just wasting brain power on the wrong thing.
His problem may turn out not to be a TPS problem, but a misadjusted TPS can produce symptoms like this. I know. It happened to my bike after Ivan's install.

I have spare brain power anyway.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:22 AM   #29
Falcon 269
Just passing through

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan998 View Post
His problem may turn out not to be a TPS problem, but a misadjusted TPS can produce symptoms like this. I know. It happened to my bike after Ivan's install.

I have spare brain power anyway.
That last bit is good to know. Wasn't sniping at you, just wanted to get the OP off the wrong trail but what you wrote made me think some more.
A misadjusted TPS in the sense I understand, ie, set too far advanced or retarded, shouldn't cause hanging idle. In fact, I believe if you disconnect the TPS, the motor will still run but the ECU will default to a median ignition timing as a 'get you home' sort of mode.

However, the TPS unit slots directly on to the end of the throttle plate spindle. I wonder if that might be binding and causing the plates to hold slightly open until vibration releases them to shut fully?

Firefly, try slackening the TPS screws or even remove the unit completely to see if this cures the problem.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:50 AM   #30
firefly
2004 FZ1

Quote:
That last bit is good to know. Wasn't sniping at you, just wanted to get the OP off the wrong trail but what you wrote made me think some more.
A misadjusted TPS in the sense I understand, ie, set too far advanced or retarded, shouldn't cause hanging idle. In fact, I believe if you disconnect the TPS, the motor will still run but the ECU will default to a median ignition timing as a 'get you home' sort of mode.

However, the TPS unit slots directly on to the end of the throttle plate spindle. I wonder if that might be binding and causing the plates to hold slightly open until vibration releases them to shut fully?

Firefly, try slackening the TPS screws or even remove the unit completely to see if this cures the problem.
I already took off the TPS from my 2004 which has no problem and put it on the 2005 still unable to adjust it, put the 2005 TPS in question on my 2004, it took the adjustment and acted normal so I am sure it is not the TPS.

all I did with the 2005 when I got it is replace a loud aftermarket pipe with the stock pipe, I was able to ride the bike for a day with the idle hanging a little then it started hanging at above 3K and will not go down so I parked the bike up till now until I have time to look into it further.

original owner says he did nothing to the carbs, the bike was garage kept, I'll start looking at the exhaust valve maybe it is stuck, you guys know its hard to get to the carbs but if all fails I will have to.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #31
Wizbyu
Wizbyu

It's not your TPS or the cables , just about all carb's are Push / Pull , or you could say Force Open / Force Close the FZ is border line too Lean form the factory ( Pilot Jets ) you need to pull carbs and clean or replace Pilot Jets
Old 11-11-2018, 01:58 PM   #32
Falcon 269
Just passing through

In my experience - and that of many others - blocked pilot jets mean the motor simply won't idle at all.

Yes, it is a shade lean at certain points in the curve but blocked pilots aren't causing this issue. I'm pretty sure it's mechanical rather than electrical or mixture-related.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:13 PM   #33
Wizbyu
Wizbyu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_EX...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-11-2018, 09:29 PM   #34
hooligan998

Quote:

No offense was taken, because I know you know your shiznit.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:34 AM   #35
Falcon 269
Just passing through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizbyu View Post
Fair enough, he says it in the video. Perhaps I should rephrase my statement. In my experience of the Gen 1, blocked pilot jets will prevent the motor from idling at all without choke; sometimes even choke isn't enough to let it idle. I've never encountered hanging idle on this bike caused by blocked pilot jets.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:01 AM   #36
firefly
2004 FZ1

One thing I failed to mention when I bought the bike, I had to ride it on the freeway with the loud pipe, I immediately replaced the pipe with the stock one the seller gave me, I also added a good dose of carb cleaner, rode the bike the following day & noticed slight idle hanging but by the end of the day the idle was hanging at or above 3K and nothing would bring it down, I tested the TPS but found it is not the problem by swapping it with my other 2004 Fz1. I checked all the vacuum rubber caps & all looked fine, its been more than two wks now, I didn't have time to fiddle with the bike again, the battery died but I have a new battery fully charged to put in, I was planning to check the exhaust valve but did not have the time yet.
I'll try disconnecting the TPS and see what happens, I didn't hear the noise the exhaust valve makes when I turned the ignition on just the fuel pump priming.
will keep you guys posted, I really like to start using this bike so I can service the 2004 skunk I have been using extensively.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:51 AM   #37
Falcon 269
Just passing through

Don't just disconnect the TPS, remove the unit completely. This is to eliminate the possibility of it causing drag on the throttle spindle.

What sort of carb cleaner and how much?
Old 11-12-2018, 03:43 AM   #38
firefly
2004 FZ1

Quote:
Don't just disconnect the TPS, remove the unit completely. This is to eliminate the possibility of it causing drag on the throttle spindle.

What sort of carb cleaner and how much?
OK, I'll remove the TPS completely & try, this is the fuel system cleaner I used
I put half of the can which is 150ml
https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Pack-300-...r/151911366403
Old 11-12-2018, 07:42 AM   #39
Wizbyu
Wizbyu

Falcon were on the same team , look-en for the the answer to his problem as in the video years ago I've seen a few hundred idle's that hang on lots of different bikes. firefly adding carb cleaner can sometimes cause the your hanging idle, the cleaner loosens up the gunk and in turn blocks the Pilot jet or restricts it to cause it to go lean and have a hanging idle , also keep in mind there are 4 carbs you mite have 2 that are causing your problem.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:08 AM   #40
firefly
2004 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizbyu View Post
Falcon were on the same team , look-en for the the answer to his problem as in the video years ago I've seen a few hundred idle's that hang on lots of different bikes. firefly adding carb cleaner can sometimes cause the your hanging idle, the cleaner loosens up the gunk and in turn blocks the Pilot jet or restricts it to cause it to go lean and have a hanging idle , also keep in mind there are 4 carbs you mite have 2 that are causing your problem.
I am leaning toward the carb cleaner has loosened some dirt that ended up blocking the pilot jet, its been parked for a while now with the carb cleaner in, I hope when I start the bike it clears up, that would be fantastic.

the bike's history is that it was parked a lot, its a 2005 with 16,780 miles only

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance