register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance

Old 09-07-2018, 07:06 PM   #21
isleoman

https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a...17e/carburetor

This may be old hat to you but I had to go back and figure out how the adjuster works.

The adjuster Item 51 looks like it just ends in space, but if you look over just below Item 35 you can see the double forked bracket that holds the throttle cables, and just below that you can see the round cam attached to the left side of the carb. The two throttle cables ride on it. That round cam is at the center between the 4 carbs. There is a stop on that cam that Item 51 pushed up on to adjust idle.

Now if you look at Item 66, the screw and two springs, they also screw into the round cam. I believe that Item 66 is used to sync the carbs.

This made me think an out of sync set of carbs could be your problem. It's tough to see that adjustment screw with out a strong led flashlight and knowing where to look. It's also a little tough to sync carbs when the idle is off. But you've got to start somewhere. Do you have the tools for a sync?

PS Arkie suggested carb sync in Post 7, but I remembered back to struggling with idle on my bike during a carb sync.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:57 AM   #22
firefly
2004 FZ1

Since the first post I parked the bike until I have more time to deal with it, could a stuck or a none functioning EXUP cause the idle to hang at > 3000 RPMs? & make it impossible to adjust the TPS ? since the first post the battery also dies but I bought a new battery and will be installing it today.
Thanks for all the help.
firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:42 AM   #23
klj7734

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly View Post
Since the first post I parked the bike until I have more time to deal with it, could a stuck or a none functioning EXUP cause the idle to hang at > 3000 RPMs? & make it impossible to adjust the TPS ? since the first post the battery also dies but I bought a new battery and will be installing it today.
Thanks for all the help.
When was the last time you pulled the carbs, cleaned them and synced them?
klj7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:04 AM   #24
firefly
2004 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by klj7734 View Post
When was the last time you pulled the carbs, cleaned them and synced them?
I just bought the bike, it has slightly less than 17K, I don't think the previous owner took the carbs out, the bike drove fairly well when I took it, it had a very loud obnoxious pipe which I replaced with the stock one that I got from the owner, a little after that the idle started hanging higher and higher, tried to adjust the TPS but it won't hold the adjustment, I tested it on my other FZ & it works well so its not the TPS.
I also put in some carb cleaner on a full gas tank.
firefly is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance