register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance

Old 04-07-2018, 12:30 PM   #1
Markyboy1961

Non OEM Carb rebuild kits. Doing an Ivans Kit

I am a DIY motorcycle guy without a lot of experience. I will be pulling my 2001 FZ1 apart to do an Ivans Jet Kit (not ordered yet). Because of the age of the bike and I only want to take it apart once i was going to order a K&L Economy Carburetor Rebuild Kit Item #344901-623788. The kit has float bowl gaskets, all O rings, Float Valve & seat @ $20.00 a carb probably 1/2 what buying the OEM Yamaha parts. Has anyone used these carb kits before ?
After reading I am still confused about whether SO or MB jet kit.
The Bike has a Yosh slip on, stock header & EXUP assembly. I have ordered a K&N OEM type air filter element and I will do the airbox mod.

While I have it apart i will order and install the AIS removal kit and do that and would like to do the carb coolant bypass.

I bought the bike used so I do not know the history but the Mixture screw block off plates are still in tact so bike was most likely not jetted when the Yosh Slip on was installed.

The bike does run very well so I am still a little apprehensive taking it all apart (I don't want to create problems) but would love to squeeze a little more performance out of it. The detail described on this site and linked sites seems to make it sound fool proof.

Bike is a 2001 FZ1 with about 18k on it. smoked wind screen, fender eliminator, full lowers (not on at this time) new Pilot Road 4s. I had the fork tubes replace and redone and the suspension set up.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Markyboy1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #2
Quisp

Ask Ivan about K&L . Needles are inconsistently sized . I haven't had to replace float needles on a carb rebuild in ages . Float bowl gaskets and the McMaster - carr O -rings should be fine .
Quisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:50 PM   #3
Markyboy1961

Ordered my Ivan's Kit

Ordered my MB Jet kit and AIS kit from Ivan. He strongly recommended OEM Yamaha/Mikuni Float Valve Assemblies and O rings and Float Bowl Gaskets. He recommended not using the K&L Card rebuild Kit (China low end Rubber Parts).
Ordered dremel parts to port the intakes.
As a novice I am still a little nervous but between this site and Pat's site I am hoping I will get it right the first time
Markyboy1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:28 PM   #4
Quisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyboy1961 View Post
Ordered my MB Jet kit and AIS kit from Ivan. He strongly recommended OEM Yamaha/Mikuni Float Valve Assemblies and O rings and Float Bowl Gaskets. He recommended not using the K&L Card rebuild Kit (China low end Rubber Parts).
Ordered dremel parts to port the intakes.
As a novice I am still a little nervous but between this site and Pat's site I am hoping I will get it right the first time
You'll be fine , just follow the directions there very concise.
Quisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance