register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance

Old 11-03-2017, 02:15 PM   #21
Falcon 269
Just passing through

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickVic89 View Post
what would you recommend for headers if i decide to run a short exhaust?
I wouldn't. Not for this motor.

If you must have a shorty can (how short is short, BTW?) then go with the stock headers and take advantage of the EXUP valve to give some back pressure at lower rpm.

I know what you mean about a lot of the aftermarket cans length-wise, though. I have a tradititional style oval Akra titanium can which I cut down by about 2" following a mishap in the garage which dented the very front of the canister. It looks much better, performs as it did originally and still sounds good.

I've run a Mivv GP-style can in the past which gave up a little at the low end but looked terrific and sounded very powerful with the dB killer out. That would be my recommendation if you're set on going that route.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:10 PM   #22
jimco
It's the journey...

Place a mirror under carb 1 or 4 and see if the brass plug is there or not. If it's there the carbs have likely not been rejetted/worked on. If the brass plug is gone, the carbs have likely been rejetted/worked on.

Here's a pic from Pat's FZ1 site at the top of this page on the right under Ivan's jet kit install.

Hope this helps.
Jim

Quote:
not too sure what you mean by this. Might be my limited knowledge. Sry :/
jimco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 01:32 AM   #23
Falcon 269
Just passing through

Good call. I forget that US market bikes have this plug. The rest of the world is allowed to make minor adjustments to fuelling without EPA interference.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:39 AM   #24
SlickVic89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimco View Post
Place a mirror under carb 1 or 4 and see if the brass plug is there or not. If it's there the carbs have likely not been rejetted/worked on. If the brass plug is gone, the carbs have likely been rejetted/worked on.

Here's a pic from Pat's FZ1 site at the top of this page on the right under Ivan's jet kit install.

Hope this helps.
Jim

Just checked. the plug is still there :/ . prob was not done
SlickVic89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:44 AM   #25
fermic37

They could have had a cheaper jet kit installed where that plug wouldnt need to be drilled out.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:48 AM   #26
SlickVic89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon 269 View Post
I wouldn't. Not for this motor.

If you must have a shorty can (how short is short, BTW?) then go with the stock headers and take advantage of the EXUP valve to give some back pressure at lower rpm.

I know what you mean about a lot of the aftermarket cans length-wise, though. I have a tradititional style oval Akra titanium can which I cut down by about 2" following a mishap in the garage which dented the very front of the canister. It looks much better, performs as it did originally and still sounds good.

I've run a Mivv GP-style can in the past which gave up a little at the low end but looked terrific and sounded very powerful with the dB killer out. That would be my recommendation if you're set on going that route.

Hey Falcon, i just checked out the Mivv gp style and it doesnt look too bad. if thats what i need to provide good back pressure, thats prob what ill end up doing.

i saw a vid of a few that i liked also that might i might consider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1aiP_y8Re8

LO2W two brothers looks pretty cool. i LOVE the look of the Hurric Pro, in a mat black would be beautiful. I gotta look into that one more to see what kind of back pressure it would provide.

The "racefit" exhaust also looks pretty nice. but again, still look. i think the Mivv gp is a pretty solid length. I like the look.

Unfortunately I dont have the stock exhaust nor the EXUP Vavle (which i just learned comes stock with the fz1? Interesting, didnt know) , so i gotta take that into consideration as well.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:49 AM   #27
SlickVic89

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermic37 View Post
They could have had a cheaper jet kit installed where that plug wouldnt need to be drilled out.
ah ok i see. I def gotta check out the actual needles. which i hope to be doing soon.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:56 AM   #28
SlickVic89

thank you everbody for the info. I def been learning alot.

so i been doing some thinking. and I think the Valves also need to be adjusted. 24k miles and i dont think the previous owner has done them. I am hearing like a metaly sound coming from the engine. (kinda like coins moving around in your pocket. I would like to learn and do the job myself as i do enjoy working on my bike. Might take my sweet time doing it tho.

so ive thought about incorporating that into the jetting and exhuast job.

the plan is to do:

Vavle adjust
delete the AIS

new plugs
radiator flush

air pods
rejetting

and exhaust.

looks like a i have a big project in my hands. lol. Im excited tho.

anything i should consider? any tips. Ill be looking into how to doing the valves shortly. Im in no rush but def want to keep learning and do it right.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:04 PM   #29
fermic37

just go through all these pages. http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/

Yamaha engines are loud. "most" people who check their valves at 24k dont have to shim. When i checked mine a few were a little more than half way to needing some shimming. I didnt have to actually shim till i was closer to 45k.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:12 PM   #30
SlickVic89

Quote:
just go through all these pages. http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/

Yamaha engines are loud. "most" people who check their valves at 24k dont have to shim. When i checked mine a few were a little more than half way to needing some shimming. I didnt have to actually shim till i was closer to 45k.

O wow, thats good to know. THanks so much man. Ill be looking into that page.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:11 PM   #31
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Yea i feeling you on calling him and getting it done right. I think i will find out as much info as i can and see what i can do. I do enjoy tinkering with the bike myself and would like to do as much as i can myself but of course if i need help ill def call and find out how to do it properly.

As for the TI exhaust, I def have read it to be a really good exhaust, i just personally dont like the look of it. Im in no rush so ill def keeping digging and fig out what to do.

Could a different muffler with the TI headers work?
Not sure, as this is a complete system, designed to work together. If it has not been jetted, your bike isn't really running well. Ivan's or Dales jetting will make it much better, but I just happen to have ridden a friends 'Bee that has the complete Ti-Force with Ivan's pod kit and proper jetting. Very nice, and no flat spots in the middle.

Call Ivan to discuss what you want, buy his kit, then install it all yourself. Best of both worlds for you. He'll also give you top notch advice, and might just turn you on to a usable "shorty" pipe that you like and will work well with the rest of it.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:01 AM   #32
arkie6

Quote:
You have to adjust the idle mixture screws with every FZ1 jet kit. To do that you have to remove those brass anti-tamper plugs.
arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:44 PM   #33
SlickVic89

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
Not sure, as this is a complete system, designed to work together. If it has not been jetted, your bike isn't really running well. Ivan's or Dales jetting will make it much better, but I just happen to have ridden a friends 'Bee that has the complete Ti-Force with Ivan's pod kit and proper jetting. Very nice, and no flat spots in the middle.

Call Ivan to discuss what you want, buy his kit, then install it all yourself. Best of both worlds for you. He'll also give you top notch advice, and might just turn you on to a usable "shorty" pipe that you like and will work well with the rest of it.
ok tyea this sounds like might be the next step. I think i might call next week and see what he recommends.

Ill keep you guys posted. havent had any time lately :/
Old 11-17-2017, 09:23 PM   #34
klj7734
Banned

Quote:
ok tyea this sounds like might be the next step. I think i might call next week and see what he recommends.

Ill keep you guys posted. havent had any time lately :/
Pull the carbs and mail them off to Ivan. He will clean them for you and personally Install his jet kit. I suggest getting the pod kit if you have an aftermarket full exhaust.
klj7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:42 PM   #35
SlickVic89

Quote:
Originally Posted by klj7734 View Post
Pull the carbs and mail them off to Ivan. He will clean them for you and personally Install his jet kit. I suggest getting the pod kit if you have an aftermarket full exhaust.

thats an option. I really would like to do them myself but we'll see.

what an average cost of cleaning and rejecting?
Old 11-23-2017, 02:14 PM   #36
klj7734
Banned

Quote:
thats an option. I really would like to do them myself but we'll see.

what an average cost of cleaning and rejecting?
It's been so long since I sent mine off to him that I'd be lying to you about the cost. Best to call him and ask. He cleaned them, installed his jet kit, velocity stacks and sent me a full Muzzy system, some ported boots and a couple of K&N pod filters in return for a fair price for it all. But like I said it's been a while.
klj7734 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance