click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering

Old 06-14-2019, 01:36 AM   #21
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

With how thin MC rubber is when wore down, none of you are worried about the tire being destabilized because there’s now a hole in the belts?

It’s my thinking a patch would be the only way to go to help hold the tire back together. That rubber is real thin.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:24 AM   #22
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFZ1 View Post
With how thin MC rubber is when wore down, none of you are worried about the tire being destabilized because thereís now a hole in the belts?

Itís my thinking a patch would be the only way to go to help hold the tire back together. That rubber is real thin.
Splitting hairs on the words here, but I don't worry about it, I do keep it in mind and adjust riding style if I think necessary. For example, I don't hit those ludicrous speeds when running a plugged rear, like we did on 72 coming back from the Skyway ride. Also even more observant of tire pressure, luggage loads, passenger status, etc. Basic risk management.

What would the tech inspectors at a track say if they observed a plugged tire or you told them?
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:10 AM   #23
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
Splitting hairs on the words here, but I don't worry about it, I do keep it in mind and adjust riding style if I think necessary. For example, I don't hit those ludicrous speeds when running a plugged rear, like we did on 72 coming back from the Skyway ride. Also even more observant of tire pressure, luggage loads, passenger status, etc. Basic risk management.

What would the tech inspectors at a track say if they observed a plugged tire or you told them?
I assume tech inspectors would deny it based on liability alone. That said, I made no mention of it during my inspection, and had zero issues throughout the day.

Also just had a passenger on at "jail speeds", and didn't think twice. Granted my plug is in the tread, so it doesn't make much contact.
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:34 AM   #24
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Quote:
With how thin MC rubber is when wore down, none of you are worried about the tire being destabilized because thereís now a hole in the belts?

Itís my thinking a patch would be the only way to go to help hold the tire back together. That rubber is real thin.
Worry about it as much as I worry about the increased chances of deflation from puncture, cording the tire, etc. I'd need data to make me worry more about plugs but have never seen such and get weary of the speculation so until then only have anecdotal experience.

Had rapid catastrophic failures of front and rear (not at the same time) from other causes but not plugs, yet. Not to say it won't happen but rather it's a possibility I acknowledge plugged or not. My personal policy is rears get plugged and ridden like stolen till they're worn out. Fronts get plugged and replaced at next opportunity.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:44 AM   #25
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

When you plug a tire with traditional string plugs, there's a pretty substantial amount of "mushrooming" inside the tire - it's not like there's just the diameter of the hole holding it in place.

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:34 AM   #26
grommet
kinetic mentality

Quote:

No, I don't worry about that. Never been a problem. Never heard of anyone else having belts come apart because of a small hole.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:33 AM   #27
oldjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post
Good call. I ordered one of these, a wormy patch kit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and some grip puppies. Figure I can wire a battery tender stub to the battery and then add a like plug for the little compressor.

The grip puppies are for my KZ750, the last ones I ordered showed up a couple days after I bought the FZ, so they wound up on the FZ ;)
oldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:03 AM   #28
glory racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
When you plug a tire with traditional string plugs, there's a pretty substantial amount of "mushrooming" inside the tire - it's not like there's just the diameter of the hole holding it in place.
After you insert the string and before you pull out the tool you are supposed to twist the tool. That creates a larger mushroom on the inside.
glory racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:58 AM   #29
old77zrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by glory racing View Post
Have sticky string repaired more than I can count. All lasted till cords and most were at a full lean pace. Patch and roll!
Same here. Had multiple string plugs....in one tire! None ever leaked. Used the tire till the belts showed.
old77zrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:03 PM   #30
LiquidSilver
Fire is our friend

I never got 25,000 out of any motorcycle tire.
The gummy worm plugs never really vulcanize, they just stay gooey. And the better ones are getting harder to find. The slime one's that are made in China dominate the market.
The best tire plug system is the Tech brand.
We used to double plug where the sidewall meets the tread on car tires, and never had a problem. Wouldn't do it on customers cars.
They are real vulcanizing plugs. Once plugged a car tire that was less than a month old. Not a drop of air lost in four years 50,000mi.
Had to redo the last 2 gummy worms I did on my truck.
Tech or vulcanizing plug/patch for a bike for me.

LiquidSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #31
glory racing

I have seen some light the plugs on fire after install to 'vulcanize'. I never had the need as all worked without this step. Dunno.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:15 PM   #32
sloowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
I assume you're talking about a car tire here?
Nope. It was a ContiTour rear tire on my Vulcan 800.
sloowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:24 PM   #33
gotfz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeep View Post
...Figure I can wire a battery tender stub to the battery and then add a like plug for the little compressor....
Looks compact. Use the 2 pin sae connectors and a lot of my bike stuff too. Note 10A max on back of compressor. If using a branded BT pigtail with inline fuse it's probably 7.5A. Might not matter and you probably know your options, just a heads up.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:28 PM   #34
gotfz1

Quote:
I have seen some light the plugs on fire after install to 'vulcanize'. I never had the need as all worked without this step. Dunno.
Rubber Flambť. Yum.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:33 PM   #35
sloowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSilver View Post
I never got 25,000 out of any motorcycle tire.
You might want to keep in mind that most of my 800,000 miles has been on cruisers set up for solo touring. I routinely got 25,000 miles from non-OEM rear tires after 1995 and was up to 36,000 miles on the Dunlop E3 of my last cruiser, when the bike died.
sloowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:10 PM   #36
MichaelFZ1
Off the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
No, I don't worry about that. Never been a problem. Never heard of anyone else having belts come apart because of a small hole.

Hmm, was just commenting for arguments sake. Hope Iím not jinxing myself here, but I have never had to plug a MC tire. Iíve been fortunate enough to never pick up any screws, nails, or bolts. Hope to keep it that way, but Iíll probably be adding a mini compressor and some of the reddish brown tire plugs to add to the bikes tool kit.
MichaelFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:17 PM   #37
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

Quote:
I saw that as a tip and did it to mine. Made sense to me, couldn't hurt!
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:28 PM   #38
glory racing

As long as we are talking about sticky strings...they get old and dry out! Learned the hard way that a year or so under a black seat is enough to render them useless. Check your supply and replace if necessary.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:29 PM   #39
firefly
2004 FZ1

my previous experience with the rope plugs is if I don't use rubber cement on it they develop a slow leak, this is why I bought the mushroom plug kit, so far no leaks
firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 04:32 AM   #40
glory racing

I have read that the real purpose of the cement is actually for lubrication. Had an old timer suggest not to use cement as it could cause the string to slip.

Cement no cement, twist tool or don't twist, light on fire or not, etc. Seems like sticky strings and tire repair is as good as an oil thread.

This is how I have done it and it always worked (guessing 20 times or so).
1. remove object.
2. ream hole well to insure rubber hole with no cord ends.
3. lube hole and tool/sticky string end with cement or spit.
4. insert tool/string and twist one revolution and remove.
5. cut off excess flush with tire.
6. air up and verify seal.
7. ride till cords.

My favorite flat story is not even about repair. Several years ago a buddy caught a nail while we were riding on Hiway 16 in AR. It took us about 45 minutes to repair and get rolling again. While stopped not a single car passed. Gotta love AR ridin'.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering > Gen 1 Tires, Brakes, Suspension & Steering