click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion

Old 03-29-2019, 07:46 AM   #10101
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Apparently it’s a tight fit. New plan. Centerstand, screwdriver holding the rotor back when I remove the stator. Walmart bag just worked up under the rotor and such and pushed to the back. Thin enough and a little extra security
Old 03-29-2019, 08:50 AM   #10102
okrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
Apparently it’s a tight fit. New plan. Centerstand, screwdriver holding the rotor back when I remove the stator. Walmart bag just worked up under the rotor and such and pushed to the back. Thin enough and a little extra security
Good luck. I tried sliding a thin cardboard underneath and remove it that way. Didn't work. Like you said, it's a tight fit. I just said screw it and pulled it out. When removing the rotor, as soon as it's free, rotate it so the far end is up. That's your best bet I believe.
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:54 AM   #10103
okrider

Actually, scratch that. This is the video I took of replacing mine: https://youtu.be/rn2aMT4E6bw?t=250 apparently the cardboard trick worked

The spacer that falls down sits behind the gears that are press fitted onto the rotor. So if you push those back while pulling the rotor, the gear should squeeze the spacer and prevent it from falling. Then you can put a screwdriver in it, and grab the spacer along with the gear.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:56 AM   #10104
_Will_

If I had to do it again I’d just used a few sheets of copy paper. They’ll fit better and you can shape them into more of a U shape to catch any parts and contain them.

There was apparently only one oil pan gasket (aka oil strainer gasket per Yamaha) at the Yamaha warehouse in Kennesaw but they don’t do direct to public sales so I have to wait till Tuesday for a dealer to get it in. Planning to use the time to replace the long overdue fork oil (42k miles) and relocate the bracket that blocks the front stand so I can store the bike on stands. That and my non bike related to do list for my vacation.
_Will_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:54 AM   #10105
_Will_

Finished installing the new rotor and replaced the oil pan gasket, took her for a few laps of the surrounding roads and all went well.

Also had Spencer modify a stock seat for me, my dirt road seat is great but at my height I feel like I'm sitting in an invisible SUV going down the highway and wanted to sit a little lower into the bike. Torture test today and tomorrow to see how it stacks up.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:29 AM   #10106
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Will_ View Post
..Also had Spencer modify a stock seat for me, my dirt road seat is great but at my height I feel like I'm sitting in an invisible SUV going down the highway and wanted to sit a little lower into the bike. Torture test today and tomorrow to see how it stacks up.
Did you opt for the LD version? He did my Street Triple and I've been real happy with his work. I have the Dirt Road seat on the FZ1 as well, and like you, it puts me a tad higher than I'd like.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:51 AM   #10107
_Will_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
Did you opt for the LD version? He did my Street Triple and I've been real happy with his work. I have the Dirt Road seat on the FZ1 as well, and like you, it puts me a tad higher than I'd like.
definitely went LD as I'm a heavier rider and usually ride between 2-300 miles in an outing, just tooling around locally I already notice an improvement.

Spencer said it would take a few tanks of gas to break it in, sounds like a great excuse to go hit the mountains.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:11 AM   #10108
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Quote:
definitely went LD as I'm a heavier rider and usually ride between 2-300 miles in an outing, just tooling around locally I already notice an improvement.

Spencer said it would take a few tanks of gas to break it in, sounds like a great excuse to go hit the mountains.
Please let us know how you like it. I periodically look for an OEM seat so that I could send off to Spencer for his LD treatment. What I really like about his work, is that just looking at it, you would never know anything was done to it. My Dirt Road seat is very comfortable - did a 730 mile day last fall and my butt was fine. I just wish it wasn't so thick.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:10 PM   #10109
_Will_

Will do, and a 730 mile day sounds brutal
Old 04-03-2019, 05:13 PM   #10110
fermic37

I took a pretty picture. The -1/+2 set up is going to get me in trouble.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 58E81D54-C117-4F59-947F-458DEB9CBA44.jpeg (90.7 KB, 102 views)
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:15 PM   #10111
hooligan998
Save a life, grope your wife!

Quote:
...Planning to use the time to replace the long overdue fork oil (42k miles)...
You just made me feel better about letting mine go for a little over 20K.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:42 AM   #10112
_Will_

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan998 View Post
You just made me feel better about letting mine go for a little over 20K.
Coming from a non adjustable FZR600, FZ1 forks with worn oil are still a step up. I’d much rather ride than wrench, sometimes I just push that sentiment a little too far.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:24 AM   #10113
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

I got the Gen2 back into street trim. I last had it at the track a couple months ago, and have had slicks on still, hoping I'd get one more track-day in. Alas, Jake is coming to pick her up next weekend! So everything to make it street legal went back on, and I'll have the slicks swapped out for some touring tires next week. Gonna throw a Bridgestone T31 on the rear, and a Michelin Power RS up front. Those will let him scoot around California for a couple days with me, before he rides it back to Texas!
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #10114
okrider

Going to try to figure out what's wrong with my throttle return cable today. The throttle's been super stiff and while exploring why, I noticed that it's caused by the return cable.

For those curious, this started after I swapped the cable, so it's likely my fault. I just don't know what I did wrong. I also don't see an adjustment on the return cable so if anyone knows how I can adjust it, that'll be great. Might just leave it out for now if I can't find why it's acting weird until I get a new one.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:31 PM   #10115
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

You definitely don't want to leave it out, that could result in a stuck-open throttle condition which even in small amounts could lead to some exciting (and potentially dangerous) situations.

Ask anyone with a Throttlemeister style throttle lock who didn't disengage it completely. Or just me, as I may be the only one.

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:36 PM   #10116
okrider

I won't leave it out indefinitely but I can't miss the track day. The spring should be enough to close throttle for a day. If I decide I need a new cable, I'll ping CrazyBiker who's been trying to sell his cables for a minute and grab those
Old 04-05-2019, 12:56 PM   #10117
_Will_

Due to desperate situations (no car and waiting on the part in the mail) I rode my FZR with only one cable. Resulted in my first and only stoppy to keep from rear ending a minivan in traffic and a minor burnout when the free spinning rear landed back down.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:57 PM   #10118
rdcusmc

Not good

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod.
rdcusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:58 PM   #10119
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Beautiful day, warm temps and a blue sky. Screaming down the long straight, throttle pinned WFO, zipping past 150mph, coming up on brake marker........ Yeah, what could go wrong.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - LEDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:07 PM   #10120
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

This is not going to end well.

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion