click here for fz1oa web site home page
register a new account, it's free!
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance

Old 07-19-2005, 12:04 AM   #21
aussie
Closet golf nut

Quote:
Originally posted by taserboc
Would you recommend this simple air box mod if you just want to install a K&N air filter? Wouldn't I benefit from a bit more air in the box?
WHat else has been done to your bike. Full exhaust, jet kit, timing advancer?
Unless you are putting in Ivans MB jet kit then I wouldnt put in the K&N or modify the air box. This particular bike sees no benefits from the installation of a K& N alone.
aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 03:09 PM   #22
taserboc

No other engine mod beside the K&N, yet. Thanks for the heads-up. Maybe I'll look into the mods like the jet and timing advance shortly.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:58 PM   #23
Paveslave
MH-53 Pavelow Crew Chief

06 Suzuki Hayabusa
Paveslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:22 AM   #24
bbneuser

updated info on airbox mod

blueballs/mikegtx/others-
would anyone pipe in here with a little more info on airbox mod? have the install/mod done, actually retuned a bit last night, but have question that is only evident in the pics from blueball's box mod. he's showing the 'snorkel' tube cut down to 23mm overall height, while pics in other boxes and what you can see from info in ivan's mb kit instructions, doesn't show this either clearly or having been done. three points: from where on the airbox is that 23mm measured, as there are several different levels from which to measure? two: should the snorkel reach down inside filter and block front wall of filter or be cut back enough to barely reach inside? three: blueball's mod shows the ribs having been entirely removed, except behind the stack. correct or no?
know this is all just further refinement, and though these are best pics of box mods i've seen on site, still some unanswered questions in my mind. your collective wisdom always appreciated...comments? better pics?
bbneuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:00 AM   #25
ferguscawley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbneuser
blueballs/mikegtx/others-
would anyone pipe in here with a little more info on airbox mod? have the install/mod done, actually retuned a bit last night, but have question that is only evident in the pics from blueball's box mod. he's showing the 'snorkel' tube cut down to 23mm overall height, while pics in other boxes and what you can see from info in ivan's mb kit instructions, doesn't show this either clearly or having been done. three points: from where on the airbox is that 23mm measured, as there are several different levels from which to measure? two: should the snorkel reach down inside filter and block front wall of filter or be cut back enough to barely reach inside? three: blueball's mod shows the ribs having been entirely removed, except behind the stack. correct or no?
know this is all just further refinement, and though these are best pics of box mods i've seen on site, still some unanswered questions in my mind. your collective wisdom always appreciated...comments? better pics?
I modified my airbox last week. I used Paveslave's pics as a guide, along with the pic I got with Ivan's MB kit. I did not cut the 'snorkel' to 23 mm. I left it as standard. I did not smooth away all the 'ribs' on the intake cover either - just enough to let air in. To be honest, my finished airbox did not look as smooth as Paveslave's. It works well though. 141.4 BHP and over 78 lbfts of torque. Sure I smoothed some edges but not to the degreee as in the photos. The photo I got with Ivan's MB kit showed no mention of a 23mm height.

The main objective here is to get rid of the section of the snorkel that sits towards the front of the bike, allowing air in and straight through the filter - and not bouncing around inside a plastic snorkel.

Ferg
Old 04-07-2006, 11:32 AM   #26
bbneuser

blueball's photo of airbox

fergus-
look up in this post a bit for photo of blueball's airbox-it's devoid of ribbing on side of snorkel opening and he shows to trim to 23mm in same post. just not sure if that's a valid instruction from ivan directly or just an estimate of what it takes to avoid having any more of the tube interfere with airflow inside filter, without eliminating it entirely. yeah, mine looks a lot like paveslave's as well. know i'm splitting hairs, but sometimes that's what it's all about, eh?
by the way, nice dyno charts on your mods. i've done exactly the same, except with the addition of full muzzy. no dyno results for myself, but it's getting to summer temps in south texas already(mid 90's today) and always a lot of humidity, so pretty sketchy results in testing. and where the hell is ivan? has he been 'banned' or taking a 'leave of absence' on his own. miss the commentary and solid advice.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:25 PM   #27
ferguscawley

Quote:
fergus-
look up in this post a bit for photo of blueball's airbox-it's devoid of ribbing on side of snorkel opening and he shows to trim to 23mm in same post. just not sure if that's a valid instruction from ivan directly or just an estimate of what it takes to avoid having any more of the tube interfere with airflow inside filter, without eliminating it entirely. yeah, mine looks a lot like paveslave's as well. know i'm splitting hairs, but sometimes that's what it's all about, eh?
by the way, nice dyno charts on your mods. i've done exactly the same, except with the addition of full muzzy. no dyno results for myself, but it's getting to summer temps in south texas already(mid 90's today) and always a lot of humidity, so pretty sketchy results in testing. and where the hell is ivan? has he been 'banned' or taking a 'leave of absence' on his own. miss the commentary and solid advice.
Do you have the intake boots ported ?. If not, you will need to do this. This is what ( I reckon) has helped give me some of the extra power higher in the rev range (> 5000 rpms) over a standard slip-on system.
My set-up may have the advantage over yours in the lower evs, but once 'on-pipe', yours should pull hard and strong too. Once everything is set-up accurately ( float heights, fuel screws etc) it should run really really well.

Ferg
Old 04-07-2006, 12:35 PM   #28
bbneuser

ferg-
yes, boots ported. but like the airbox, could probably use a little extra trim here and there. never overly excited to pull carbs, but it's getting easier with familiarity. screws 5 perfect turns out. floats near to 14.5 as i could get to. not sure how our extreme heat/humidity will affect the tune settings, but may fool with it this summer. tps set per ivan's recs. trying to get it all set for first track days, so do want it to be 'spot on'. right now, runs really, really well. always want to see if there's another n'th to get out of it. thanks for your feedback. it's friday, time for a good porter to ease effects of the heat.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:47 PM   #29
ferguscawley

Quote:
ferg-
yes, boots ported. but like the airbox, could probably use a little extra trim here and there. never overly excited to pull carbs, but it's getting easier with familiarity. screws 5 perfect turns out. floats near to 14.5 as i could get to. not sure how our extreme heat/humidity will affect the tune settings, but may fool with it this summer. tps set per ivan's recs. trying to get it all set for first track days, so do want it to be 'spot on'. right now, runs really, really well. always want to see if there's another n'th to get out of it. thanks for your feedback. it's friday, time for a good porter to ease effects of the heat.
For what it's worth, my screws are 4.75 turns out and floats are at 14.0mm exactly. TPS as per Ivan. Sweeeeeeett !!!

Ferg
Old 09-16-2006, 09:35 AM   #30
Ivan
Performance Master

I prefer the depth of the remaining snorkel be left at the stock length.

The idea behind this mod is to allow a straight path for the incoming air and for helping the returning resonant waves to be directed out the intake the same way that they went into the engine.

For whatever it's worth ....

Ivan

Last edited by Ivan; 09-16-2006 at 10:19 AM.
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:16 PM   #31
bullseyesonly
frickin' rookie

so am i to understand that you remove the material on the underside of the airbox and not the inlet???
Custom Hand Made Air intake
Half of the Kuryakyn Chrome Catalog
24,000 miles and still running great

2005 Yamaha FZ1
Yoshi RS3 race slipon
Ivans jet kit and AIS removal
Carb Coolant Bypass
15/47 sprockets
bullseyesonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:45 PM   #32
Falcon 269
Just passing through

That's right.

The only cutting and shaping required is to the snorkel inside the airbox lid.

The scoop on top of the airbox lid remains standard.

Mike
Falcon 269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:03 PM   #33
Divinitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNC
Here a picture of what I did. I hope it's right.

DaveNC
what if one was to run the cover like this...with the hole all the way through, any benefit?
Divinitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #34
02fazer
Class A Nubtard

I ordered ivan's MB jet kit kit planning to install tomorrow when it comes, so tonight I decided to tear it apart to find that my airbox is already modded scares me that it might already have his kit installed.... atleast I can clean it up
02fazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance