open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear

Old 03-09-2018, 08:38 AM   #21
ctfz1
corner carver

Any helmet is better than no helmet.
DOT and Snell involve different testing. My impression is depending how closely your experience (in a crash) comes to the tests done the more protection you get.
Since you can't anticipate what will happen, no telling which offers more protection in a specific case.
I have morefaith in Snell standards.
For various reasons I've worn DOT helmets for twenty years or more. Largely because I wear 3XL in HJC which are DOT, 2XL and smaller are Snell.

Wore Shoei before that for twenty some years.

Best advice, don't fall down..
ctfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:53 AM   #22
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSilver View Post
Snell was based on tests that were considered to be what the typical serious race car crash might involve. It was updated a few times. I believe the last revision was in 2010, based more on the needs of typical MC accidents, in an attempt to prevent concussions and other brain damage, as well as death. Considering most helmets are used for motorcycles and fewer for race car drivers, it was a sensible change. Some prefer ECE, some Snell, but if a helmet company takes the DOT testing seriously and actually performs it, and its a full face helmet, it will probably protect your head about as well as any helmet.
To be fair the Snell M standard is updated every five years. Current is M2015.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:56 AM   #23
gotfz1

If it wasn't obvious I think the video is FUD to sell stuff. It doesn't present enough data from controlled testing to persuade me a Snell certified helmet is any better than the DOT helmet for $75 at Pep Boys.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:29 AM   #24
giddyup

You must admit it is kind of funny that we drop big coin on all sorts of performance improvements to squeeze every last bit of hp out of a bike and then skimp on buying a helmet.

Past Rides: Kawasaki KX80, Honda CB350, CAN-AM 125 Qualifier, CAN-AM 250MX, CAN-AM 500MX, 1990 Kawasaki ZX6, 2001/2003 KLR 650, 2006 Yamaha FZ1
Current Rides: 2012 Yamaha FZ1/2014 KTM 690 Enduro
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:31 AM   #25
okrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post
If it wasn't obvious I think the video is FUD to sell stuff. It doesn't present enough data from controlled testing to persuade me a Snell certified helmet is any better than the DOT helmet for $75 at Pep Boys.
Feel free to check out their other videos. They actually test different helmets, and you can see how they compare to one another. This was more of a history of DOT rating type thing. I've been watching them for a couple years now and they are definitely more honest than most gear/bike reviewers out there
okrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:14 AM   #26
gotfz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddyup View Post
You must admit it is kind of funny that we drop big coin on all sorts of performance improvements to squeeze every last bit of hp out of a bike and then skimp on buying a helmet.
Not here. Replace my helmet far more often than the average. Just not chasing unicorns with "if it costs more it must be safer" without any credible evidence since it's been shown in the past to be the opposite.

What I'm convinced more money does get is features, noise level, weight, comfort, fit/finish etc. Right now I like the value of my ECE/DOT Scorpions which can't be Snell rated because of the internal visor but have owned plenty of high end Shoei, Arai, etc.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:19 AM   #27
longeze

I posted a link to a study on this matter previously. The gyst of it is, that DOT helmets tend to be more compliant(read that- more likely to protect you from injury in low/moderate impact situations since more of the impact is absorbed by the helmet shell deforming), since they aren't required to sustain impacts as forceful as those imposed to get a Snell rating which must protect against impact and intrusion at higher speeds & G's.
longeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:28 AM   #28
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

I always got SNELL lids because at the time, regular DOT lids were garbage in the comfort and features department. Terrible methods to replace the windscreen. No vents. And often times just a poor fit.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:44 PM   #29
killer5280

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfz1 View Post
Not here. Replace my helmet far more often than the average. Just not chasing unicorns with "if it costs more it must be safer" without any credible evidence since it's been shown in the past to be the opposite.
Yep. In fact, it just might be less safe, although I think the newer Snell standard makes for a softer, more absorbent helmet closer to the ECE and DOT standards.
Haven't studied it in many, many years though.

Just looked and my three helmets are DOT and ECE rated. Two are polycarb and one is fiberglass.

Last edited by killer5280; 03-09-2018 at 01:03 PM.
killer5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:07 PM   #30
theunderfighter
Resident Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddyup View Post
Not necessarily... I realize this wasn't exactly a blanket statement to cover everyone on this board. I mean, I find it humorous when a Hardley guy dumps $20k of chrome into their turd, then gets a $50 skull-cap to save their life.

Me personally, I'm a function-over-form kinda guy. I'm gonna spend whatever I have to spend to get what I need done. I'm not gonna spend several hundred more dollars because something has a different color and name on it. For me, that means an HJC helmet. Mostly because it fits me, also because it is DOT and SNELL certified, also because they've been proven to work... and to top it off, they happen to run around $150.
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #31
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

Quote:
then gets a $50 skull-cap to save their life.
Um, you are aware aren't you, that full face helmets KILL riders! They cause your neck to be broken when you hit the ground.

(Actual conversation I had ages ago)
Old 03-09-2018, 02:32 PM   #32
killer5280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
Um, you are aware aren't you, that full face helmets KILL riders! They cause your neck to be broken when you hit the ground.

And they adversely affect your vision and hearing. Heard that too.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:44 PM   #33
ctfz1
corner carver

Is it safer to replace a DOT helmet every 5-6 years or spend three times as much and be reluctant to replace it?

In my younger days I rode enough the inside wore out in 5 years or so.
Being older I don't do anywhere near as many miles.
ctfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:59 PM   #34
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:

Probably suffocate in them too.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:50 AM   #35
FTL900
White and nerdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphcor View Post
Love this topic. I chuckle when people think a $700. helmet will protect them more than a $100. one.
It always kills me when someone posts that you should buy the most expensive helmet made, because "isn't your head worth it, why risk your life to save $400".... with no concept that price is not always a guarantor of superior quality or protection. Sometimes it's just marketing.

They're usually the same guys that rail against ever plugging a tire.. "isn't your life worth $400 for new tires?" When I explain that everything is a risk, including riding at all, they get all huffy.

Quote:

Restrict visibility is another one I hear... and an occasional fanatic that actually believes you're better off without a helmet if you crash.

Side note: Over the weekend I saw a news article about a helmet protest ride, and the riders weren't wearing helmets in protest of helmet laws. One of them crashed and died from a head wound. Talk about irony!!
Old 03-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #36
fermic37

I want to say it was myrtle beach.. its been years since i lived down that way. But in the state of SC it wasnt a law to wear helmets. But so many people were dying at bike week the city of myrtle beach required people to wear them. and there was a huge protest. We lived on the border of NC and SC on one of the main roads down there. It was hilarious to see the guys strapping and unstrapping the helmets to the backs of their bikes depending on which way they were going.

Back in my younger harley days i would ride without one on. Now i wont even take my dirtbike around the block without a helmet.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:34 AM   #37
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

When my kids were 4 & 6 I got them a Honda CRF50. Bought it new and will teach grandkids on it one day. Among other things it came with a video, on VHS, about riding, preparation, etc. Basically, the message was, "Stupid hurts!". Maybe the anti-helmet crowd should watch that one.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:35 AM   #38
fermic37

i remember the honda add campaign of "stupid hurts" using the big bandaid.
fermic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:52 AM   #39
OldBiker

I just read that there have been five motorcycle fatalities in one week from the influx to Daytona Bike Week. No mention if they had helmets or not or if they were sober or not.
OldBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:41 AM   #40
Neanderthal
Jedi Fart Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBiker View Post
I just read that there have been five motorcycle fatalities in one week from the influx to Daytona Bike Week. No mention if they had helmets or not or if they were sober or not.
The news rarely mentions those two factors, which are all-important. Instead, they'll typically flash a generic photo of a crotch rocket on the screen for 5 seconds and move along - all while cementing in the minds of the sheeple of how dangerous crotch rockets are. It really pisses me off, and I've actually sent an email to the local station's programming manager about this practice. From what limited information I could ever gather, the majority of single-incident motorcycle wrecks in our region are in fact cruiser riders that can't make a curve, run off the road and hit a tree.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear