register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 1 Service & Maintenance

Old 03-10-2018, 07:07 PM   #81
bradd
Working away

Thought I would post this here since I posted about the Supertech 9688 here. That filter is for pretty much every Honda car, picked one up today for my Civic. I took the old filter off and let the oil drain a while, never had the new and the old filters side by side to compare. New one screwed on, same thread, but when I started my car I lost about all the oil in the 30 seconds before I shut it off. 20lbs of kitty litter and a bunch of time latter here are the filters side by side. Same part number, totally different filter. The new one is the blue one, I did notice the color changed but it now is shorter, fatter, and has a lip on it that apparently bottoms out before the o-ring seals. I'm sure it wouldn't work on an FZ either.
So no more Wal-Mart filters for me. I can't believe more people aren't having this issue. Any lawyers on the forum want to help with my lawsuit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg temp.jpg (113.0 KB, 180 views)
Old 03-10-2018, 07:58 PM   #82
Fitty
Let's Ride!

Did you check to see if SuperTech had changed the number for the Honda filter in the new SuperTechs?

Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:00 PM   #83
bradd
Working away

The computer at Wal-Mart that does the cross reference still lists the Supertech 9688 as the filter for my car.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:15 PM   #84
Fitty
Let's Ride!

Yeah it would be stupid for them to change it. Is the gasket diameter the same?

Old 03-10-2018, 08:21 PM   #85
Fitty
Let's Ride!

I use the Fram ToughGuard TG7317 or Bosch 3323 on Honda cars and Yamahas. It's the longer one that fits. Next time at Wal-Mart open one of those up and compare to the sealing surface of the ST9688.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:59 AM   #86
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Just damn...

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:37 PM   #87
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitty View Post
I use the Fram ToughGuard TG7317 or Bosch 3323 on Honda cars and Yamahas. It's the longer one that fits. Next time at Wal-Mart open one of those up and compare to the sealing surface of the ST9688.
Hey Bill, been running that Bosch 3323 on the bike and CRV since the old Super Tech's went away. Recently the bike started dripping oil, about 2k since the last filter change. It was coming from the oil filter mounting point. Replaced it with a HiFlo obtained from a local speed shop. Maybe the o-ring/gasket developed a problem.

Will get a new Bosch later and compare it to others. Hopefully they haven't changed them too.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:00 PM   #88
Fitty
Let's Ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyfz1 View Post
Hey Bill, been running that Bosch 3323 on the bike and CRV since the old Super Tech's went away. Recently the bike started dripping oil, about 2k since the last filter change. It was coming from the oil filter mounting point. Replaced it with a HiFlo obtained from a local speed shop. Maybe the o-ring/gasket developed a problem.

Will get a new Bosch later and compare it to others. Hopefully they haven't changed them too.
I've mainly been using the Fram ToughGuard. It's not the base model, and appears to be well made. All the info I've found on it has been good. The grippy surface on the base comes in handy too. I use it on my Accord, FJR, and FZ1 when I had one.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:44 PM   #89
bradd
Working away

The Bosch works on the Civic, that is what I put on, but I've had a Bosch drip on the FJR.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:56 PM   #90
DaveAA

Purolator PL14610
Mobil 1 M1-110

those are what I stick to. never a problem. my Wix experiment ended in spilled oil, in their defense the free second one did not. didn't buy another
DaveAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:01 AM   #91
novasquid
will ride for food

no love for the fram XG7317? i love that it fits both my fz1 and subaru outback.
novasquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:54 AM   #92
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Using the Mobil M1-110 also. All I know is it fits and seems to be a decent filter. Fits my Super Tenere also, and is slightly shorter, which makes it easier to get on and off both bikes. Hopefully they don't mess with it's design. Paranoid now, I always open the box and look at the base before buying.

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:37 AM   #93
isleoman

Partshark's OEM filter $8.20 is cheaper than Autozone Mobil M1 filter $10.80.

Certainly doesn't make sense to pay $10 shipping just for 1 filter but if I'm buying something else I usually pick up two or three filters to get me through the season. The OEM black filters look better if it makes you feel better to think of them as bling.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:49 AM   #94
Duken4evr
Map Maven

I get the Mobil M1 filter at Walmart for $6.80. Wallyworld has some good deals on oil and filters, if they happen to have what you need - their selection is a bit limited. Rotella T6 and the Mobil filter and I am outta there

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #95
Yamarocket630

I can confirm that the ST 9688 will not fit the FZ... at least not in the new blue filters. It hits the oil cooler pipes before it even lines up with the threads. Good thing Walmart has a very liberal return policy.

Last edited by Yamarocket630; 03-20-2018 at 06:27 AM.
Yamarocket630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:00 AM   #96
DaveAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
I get the Mobil M1 filter at Walmart for $6.80. Wallyworld has some good deals on oil and filters, if they happen to have what you need - their selection is a bit limited. Rotella T6 and the Mobil filter and I am outta there
haha yeah this. wally world doesn't always have it, but if they do hell yeah
DaveAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:06 AM   #97
Wlfman
Just another Slow Poke

I have one good Purolator left and then I'll have to find a new brand. I had caught a really good sale on the old style ones before the change, and since at the time my car and FZ1 and FJR all 3 used the same filter I bought a dozen. They've lasted a while since I ended up selling the car and the FZ.

"I ride not to add days to my life, but to add LIFE to my days."

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:03 AM   #98
arkie6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitty View Post
I use the Fram ToughGuard TG7317 .... on Honda cars and Yamahas.
That is what I have been using for several years as well since the old Super Tech ST7317 went away at Wal-Mart and the Bosch filters were redesigned with that raised threaded base plate that bottomed out on the FZ1 before the gasket sealed.
arkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:49 PM   #99
02FZ1WA

In five pages of this thread no-one has addressed the number/size of the holes around the mounting hole. I'm not a filterologist so I dunno if these are the return side or the supply side. On page one Old Sparks showed a Fram with many large holes, and a Bosch with fewer and smaller holes. Does this matter? It seems as if the flow thru the Fram would be much greater...

If this is an idiotic question please say so. I use the Fram Ultra Synthetic on my Civic and Accord. The Civic gets an oil change every 5,000 miles (7 months or so) because it is driven on many very short trips. The last two oil changes on the Accord were at the one year mark and both were around 1,000 miles. It's a warranty thing. Mobil 1 Extended Performance in both.

Right now I'm too chicken to try anything else than a MC filter. Yamaha or K&N...
02FZ1WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:09 PM   #100
rdcusmc

I had a talk about 15 years ago with two former Mobile 1 engineers. They told me then that their synthetic oil was good enough to last as nearly a lifetime oil or at least several tens of thousands of miles. They said they couldn’t advertise it as a multi year or lifetime oil because the automotive OEMs would never go along with it. I find it interesting now they sell their extended life product as a one-year interval or 20,000 miles.

Best
Ron

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod (in progress).
rdcusmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Service & Maintenance > Gen 1 Service & Maintenance