register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion

Old 10-26-2017, 06:58 PM   #9321
TeabagInsurance

Whew!

SO, I finally had everything I needed to finish fixing up my FZ1 after my generator's rotor started spitting magnets. Spent a bunch of time waiting for parts online as several misc things I needed like replacements for a couple stripped bolts, the generator cover gasket, and the outer bearing weren't in stock in the warehouse. Also got some frame sliders as well while I was waiting for that stuff.

Couldn't get the outer bearing out after taking apart the generator cover and ended up bringing it in to a shop to have them get it out and seat the new one. After re-assembling everything I was really nervous when I went to start the bike. I was expecting something to go wrong because I always manage to mess something up, but it started first try without issue. No strange sounds so far, no check engine light on the dash, crossing my fingers I didn't **** something up.

My FZ1 also had the full fairing kit but I removed it since I got sick of taking it off and putting it back on, and someone tipped over my bike last year and it cracked the fairing. It was also missing a couple screws and the places where some of the screws were had some cracking on the fairing as well, so it really irked me. Gone naked now, which meant that I had to order the side radiator covers as it didn't have them.

Also rigged up a USB charging cable which I ran neatly under the gas tank/through the frame and to the front of the bike. I already have a RAM mount so now my phone can charge while I use it for GPS.

Sorry this post is kind of all over the place, I'm just really glad that I can ride again as I haven't been able to the last 6 weeks. I was also doing this work in the driveway as I don't have a garage. I'm glad that I got through it all though, as I don't have a huge amount of mechanical experience, mostly just swapping tires, oil changes, installing new signals, etc. No pics for now as it's dark out and my bike is honestly pretty ****ing dirty. She and I both need a bath now.
TeabagInsurance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:41 AM   #9322
stomp347

Love the username.....
stomp347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:12 AM   #9323
TeabagInsurance

Haha thanks. It was a play on when a close friend and I use to play Call of Duty with knives only a long time ago. We had a habit of teabagging each other after a kill, so I started taking the martyrdom perk so that a grenade blows on your body after you die to deter the other person from teabagging you. We referred to it as teabag insurance .

Went for a 1hr ride last night after typing that post to see if I could hear/feel any high pitch whining or clunking that I was hearing before taking the generator apart and thankfully everything seemed to run great!

Now over the winter I'm going to take a stab at adjusting my valve clearance and doing the Lars airbox mod among some other basic maintenance.
TeabagInsurance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:35 PM   #9324
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Rode it 90 miles in this "cold spell" in Texas. 44-50 ish degrees. Got my winter jacket on. Felt good
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1143.jpg (162.9 KB, 157 views)
Old 10-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #9325
okrider

Got the ECU out and shipped it to Vcyclenut for a reflash. Speedo changes for the -1 front sprocket, and new map for the airbox mod. The speedo being off doesn't bother me much but I don't want the miles to increase too fast.

Need to make the stock bump stop for the center stand bigger somehow, with the R1 shock, the wishbone sits lower, the center stand hits it.
YouTube Channel - OK Rider
'78 Honda CB400T Hawk: Kickstart only, front and rear drum brakes, leaky head gasket
'05 VStar 1100: Flip bike
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:06 PM   #9326
isleoman

Changed the fork oil on the Gen 1. While I was doing that I noticed the front brake pads were very thin, so threw in some new OEM ones.

I cannot believe what a difference those pads made. I have to be very careful stabbing at the brakes again. I don't keep track of brake pads, but I bet this is my fourth set of fronts. Just surpassed 225K miles last week.

I had done the Eskort Turn Signal mod and it worked for about two months and then quit. What I was left with was turn signals that would work only when I held the lever over to one side or the other. As soon as I let go they would shut off. I was actually liking them that way, except at long lights. So today the Eskort mod started working again and they shut off after 10 blinks, go figure. Might be the Kissan module.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:31 PM   #9327
theunderfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleoman View Post
Changed the fork oil on the Gen 1. While I was doing that I noticed the front brake pads were very thin, so threw in some new OEM ones.

I cannot believe what a difference those pads made. I have to be very careful stabbing at the brakes again. I don't keep track of brake pads, but I bet this is my fourth set of fronts. Just surpassed 225K miles last week.

I had done the Eskort Turn Signal mod and it worked for about two months and then quit. What I was left with was turn signals that would work only when I held the lever over to one side or the other. As soon as I let go they would shut off. I was actually liking them that way, except at long lights. So today the Eskort mod started working again and they shut off after 10 blinks, go figure. Might be the Kissan module.

Maybe the switch is finally going bad after 225k?
theunderfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:40 PM   #9328
isleoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunderfighter View Post
Maybe the switch is finally going bad after 225k?
I converted a very newish condition switch off Ebay when I did the mod.

My original high mileage switch still works fine. I could throw it on tomorrow and then repeatedly forget to turn it off. The modded switch was very inconsistent today and I had to resort to hand signals after a while.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:39 AM   #9329
Wonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrider View Post
Got the ECU out and shipped it to Vcyclenut for a reflash. Speedo changes for the -1 front sprocket, and new map for the airbox mod. The speedo being off doesn't bother me much but I don't want the miles to increase too fast.

Need to make the stock bump stop for the center stand bigger somehow, with the R1 shock, the wishbone sits lower, the center stand hits it.
HealTech Speedohealer worked for me and I added the Gear Indicator.

For the bumper, rubber cement and rubber washer will suffice.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:05 AM   #9330
okrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonger View Post
HealTech Speedohealer worked for me and I added the Gear Indicator.

For the bumper, rubber cement and rubber washer will suffice.
Vcycle was already doing it for shipping only, didn't want to get a Speedohealer.

I'll look into the rubber washer idea. I was thinking of getting a short (little longer than the bump stop) pvc pipe or rubber hose or something and putting that on/around the bump stop, gluing it on.
YouTube Channel - OK Rider
'78 Honda CB400T Hawk: Kickstart only, front and rear drum brakes, leaky head gasket
'05 VStar 1100: Flip bike
okrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:28 PM   #9331
hooligan998
Save a life, grope your wife!

Rode in to work tonight, as I usually do, but tonight was the first night of the so called cold season requiring the use of my riding suit. 39°F and I was snug as a bug in a rug.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:15 PM   #9332
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Currently at 61K miles. Last changed my air filter over at hotboot's place at like 24K miles. Yeah, DO NOT WAIT 37K miles! I ride through all conditions and in the last 5000 miles have probably done 700 miles in torrential downpour, probably over 1500 miles of rain in the last 37K miles. But yeah, replaced it with a Emgo Air filter for 19$, OEM style with mesh around. I should see over 40 MPG now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1281.jpg (151.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1282.jpg (76.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1283.jpg (58.7 KB, 47 views)
Old 11-16-2017, 02:10 PM   #9333
Dicko
Way more sport than tourer

Pulled the front calipers, checked brake pads and pistons, all good, put front calipers back on.
Brembo 16mm Radial MC, ASV short Levers, Brembo GP4-RX calipers, Hell braided lines, R1 Fender, Ohlins FGRT 206 forks, Ohlins shock (tuned - Racebike Services), Marchesini rims, Vortex 48t sprocket, Arrow Headers - Micron GP slipon, tailtidy, Rizoma (risers, conical bars, Lux grips, bar ends, 744 mirrors, fluid reservoir, Rev rearsets/B Pro pegs), Speedo healer, BMC filter, AIS Block off, PCV (tuned - Neville Lush Racing), Pirelli DR III, Ivan's ECU, GF-Design LED Blinkers, DID gold chain
Dicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:43 PM   #9334
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
Currently at 61K miles. Last changed my air filter over at hotboot's place at like 24K miles. Yeah, DO NOT WAIT 37K miles! I ride through all conditions and in the last 5000 miles have probably done 700 miles in torrential downpour, probably over 1500 miles of rain in the last 37K miles. But yeah, replaced it with a Emgo Air filter for 19$, OEM style with mesh around. I should see over 40 MPG now!
I remember changing my air filter once. Now over 60k, probably time to do so again. Emgo huh?
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Misc FZ1-Related Discussion