register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry

Old 08-19-2017, 03:01 PM   #21
didier9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
it wasn't removed to make the 7 thinner. The 6 and 7 are identical in that aspect.

It was removed because space is a premium. In its place is a larger battery, a Taptic Engine
And IP67 level water resistance.

I thought I was going to really miss it as I wear wired headphones for hours a day.

Hasn't been an issue for me. I use the adapter and I'm good to go. Obviously ymmv
That's exactly my point. The volume occupied by the headphone jack is probably equivalent to a few thousands in thickness. Apparently the market would prefer losing the headphone jack rather than make the phone a few thousands thicker in order to accommodate the new features while keeping the jack.

This is something Apple has been known for doing with all their products, it's good for their business.

I deplore it to the extend that it is a feature that is important to me, and now vendors that are more likely to make products I may buy have to get on the bandwagon. I am obviously not the general market and I am ok with it. There are still plenty of phones that do all I need done with a phone, and pretty much all new phones have a number of features I have no interest in like the fingerprint reader. I am ok with changing my password once in a while or when needed. What do you do when your fingerprint or iris scan is hacked?
Old 08-19-2017, 03:40 PM   #22
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

I guess I don't see how making it a teeny bit thicker would allow for fitting the Taptic thing or whatever else needs more "side to side" space.

I find the finger unlock to be one of the greatest iPhone features ever. It's instantaneous. And the Taptic Engine eliminated the mechanical home button which was also a big deal for me as I've had two fail over the years.

I haven't read of any hacks of the finger print reader. Don't want fingerprint unlock? Ok. Turn it off in the settings and go back to typing in a code

I guess In the end companies decide to make whatever they think will sell. Great thing is no one has to buy one particular device. There's no doubt I'd be an android user now had they gotten out before Apple and had a solid option. But in 2010 (09?) when I decided to get a 3GS it was the best option that I saw.

I'm sort of stuck with iPhone because of my plan. I don't want to give it up because 90% of my text messages are to other iOS users and they are free, whereas my plan only gives me 200 "free" texts per month.

Competition is great. Everyone pushes each other. Can't wait to see what comes next on all platforms.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:42 PM   #23
Mr.Fixit

Quote:

I'm sort of stuck with iPhone because of my plan. I don't want to give it up because 90% of my text messages are to other iOS users and they are free, whereas my plan only gives me 200 "free" texts per month.
Wait...this is still a thing? lol I didn't know you could get a limited number of texts anymore!

As for my thickness comment, I'll only defend it slightly as again it's just my opinion and there is no evidence to prove it. You'll notice I said setting pieces in place to go thinner. I just think they are making it an option. Just bc it hasn't been done yet doesn't mean it isn't in the works. You don't stop making progress just bc all the other pieces weren't in place yet. Just think it's an interesting coincidence is all.

Didier9 good call on the Pixel. Great phones, but one of the easiest to break I've seen in a while. LCDs seem to be very fragile. Motorola is the only company that has made a phone that had an impressively strong screen. First one was the Turbo 2. That thing was great for drops!
Mr.Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:44 PM   #24
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

My contract is still the original one from 2010!!!

Unlimited data! 200 texts per month.

They don't offer it anymore, but I'm grandfathered in.

I often use 16gb a month so that's why I don't want to change it.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:07 AM   #25
didier9

Quote:
My contract is still the original one from 2010!!!

Unlimited data! 200 texts per month.

They don't offer it anymore, but I'm grandfathered in.

I often use 16gb a month so that's why I don't want to change it.
I had a 10 year old grandfathered unlimited data plan with Verizon (500 minutes talk time) until about 3 months ago. With 4 phones on it, I switched to the new Verizon unlimited everything and I save $100/month. That was a good move. Out of the 4 phones, I am the heaviest user, averaging about 10GB/month.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:12 AM   #26
didier9

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wir...nt-cracked/amp

It was just a matter of time

I am not bashing Apple, they have the most secure software out there but nothing's perfect and it's bad enough that the government has multiple copies of my fingerprints.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #27
Mr.Fixit

2010! Wow, that is some dedication right there bc I know those guys try to push a new plan on you every time you walk in their door
Old 08-20-2017, 10:37 AM   #28
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by didier9 View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wir...nt-cracked/amp

It was just a matter of time

I am not bashing Apple, they have the most secure software out there but nothing's perfect and it's bad enough that the government has multiple copies of my fingerprints.
The article is from 4 years ago soon after it came out on the 5s. Bunch of german nerds had a lot of time! Not your typical grab and run thieves.

"First, the fingerprint of the enrolled user is photographed with 2,400 dpi resolution. The resulting image is then cleaned up, inverted and laser printed with 1,200 dpi onto transparent sheet with a thick toner setting. "

Lol. Yah good luck with attack mode thief.

And since then Apple added "lost mode". If you lose the phone you set it to "lost mode". Then your passcode is required to unlock the phone. It also sends its last known location to you and displays a message and phone number on the lock screen.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #29
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fixit View Post
2010! Wow, that is some dedication right there bc I know those guys try to push a new plan on you every time you walk in their door

When I get a new phone I always order it online via the Apple Store. Or I just go to their store. They don't care what plan you have. They show you what is available and your just pick.

I imagine if I went to the att store it might be different.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:14 PM   #30
didier9

Quote:
The article is from 4 years ago soon after it came out on the 5s. Bunch of german nerds had a lot of time! Not your typical grab and run thieves.

"First, the fingerprint of the enrolled user is photographed with 2,400 dpi resolution. The resulting image is then cleaned up, inverted and laser printed with 1,200 dpi onto transparent sheet with a thick toner setting. "

Lol. Yah good luck with attack mode thief.

And since then Apple added "lost mode". If you lose the phone you set it to "lost mode". Then your passcode is required to unlock the phone. It also sends its last known location to you and displays a message and phone number on the lock screen.
The point of the article is that it is counterintuitive that the key to unlock your phone is something you leave thousands of copies of everyday in many places and which you cannot change. The équipent needed to do the hack is readily available. I am not so much questioning the technology behind the fingerprint scanner as much as the basic idea.

In all other (typically government use), the fingerprints are only one element of identification, your likeness being another. One notable exception being our justice system where a single fingerprint at the wrong place can get you in a heap of trouble.

Apple's point, and it may be well taken, is that without something as convenient for the user as a fingerprint scanner, most of the phones would be totally unsecured because most people don't want to deal with a password when they are not absolutely forced to, and a fingerprint scanner is a hell of a lot better than nothing. It won't protect you much from the government but it will protect you against the vast majority of crooks, and I understand that for most people, that's enough. It is obvious a lot of people like the fingerprint scanner.

My phone is protected by password but the password is not required if the phone is in range of my Bluetooth watch (as long as I have entered the password at least once since the last reboot or in the last few hours). It is a little more sophisticated than that but you get the idea. Not perfect either but convenient and therefore it is actually used and it probably achieves the same objectives without using biometrics I can't change. To me, that's better.

No system is perfect but a system that's being used is a lot better than nothing.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:32 PM   #31
Mr.Fixit

To the OP

This just popped up as an advertisement in my FB feed. Not sure if it's worth a damn but just wanted to give you another option.

https://ilovegoodtimes.co/products/i...phone-splitter
Old 08-24-2017, 09:41 PM   #32
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

Quote:
The Walter Siemens™ Avant-garde Pro Version iPhone Headphone Splitter
Wow. They are really proud of their product with a name like that.

Would be curious to see if there are any reviews of that item. Somewhere.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:13 PM   #33
Mr.Fixit

Quote:
Wow. They are really proud of their product with a name like that.

Would be curious to see if there are any reviews of that item. Somewhere.
Right? Quite pretentious. Also I'm always sketched out by FB ad merch, which is why I felt it worth noting the origin.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:16 PM   #34
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

Quote:
Avant-garde Pro Version
This is so beyond the beyond.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:26 AM   #35
WDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fixit View Post
This just popped up as an advertisement in my FB feed. Not sure if it's worth a damn but just wanted to give you another option.

https://ilovegoodtimes.co/products/i...phone-splitter
Nice find. I took the bait and ordered one. We'll see if it works or is junk.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:28 AM   #36
WDD

Quote:
This is so beyond the beyond.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Computers & TechGadgetry