read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear

Old 05-26-2018, 08:58 AM   #1
headrec

Looking for a new helmet

I've always been a budget rider in the past to an extent. More of a get a good bang for the buck. It's my first motorcycle in probably 7 years and since then the budget has grown a bit.

I currently have a scorpion helmet that I really like the fit of but an old ex gf went down at low speed and has a couple of chips on it so figure better safe than sorry plus a good chance to upgrade. I have a slew of other budget helmets but the scorpion is my favorite.

Currently debating between the 150 to 500 dollar range. Curious what elements really justify the big price jump (I've been watching a lot of videos and the price jump seems somewhat unjustified).

Curious what everyone has and what they would recommend? I'm debating between on the low end another scorpion (rx420) and maybe like an aria or shoei on the high end.

Things I'm wanting from my helmet

-Good fit and safety are by far at the top

-Quiet w/good ventilation (these might be counter-intuitive?)

-Sporty look.

I think I have an intermediate oval head if it matters.
headrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #2
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

Getting a proper and comfortable fit is at the top of the list. Take some time to try helmets on somewhere like a Cycle Gear that has a variety to choose and sample. Remember, it will wear in some over time, but if you wear it around the store for 20 min and it gives you headache or leaves a serious mark, it probably isn't the lid for you.

I think the Scorpion and HJC have some of the best overall values going on. I paid about $379-$389 for my Shoei GT-Air simply because I wanted to try it out over the long haul (after wearing one in the store several times @20min a pop). Good helmet, but I sure wouldn't pay any more than I did. No way I'd pay the $600+ for a DOT only certified helmet. Yep, no SNELL or ECE on this one.

For me, the GT-Air visor has some weird internal reflections, mostly noticeable at night, and worsen when the pinlock is installed. For the money, it should be better. Overall, it is fairly quiet except when all the vents are open at speed. Then, it does what the GT-Air is mostly about, flow cooling air. Gives one a unique 'do also. I have a medium, and the weight is good as well as aerodynamics, in that my neck doesn't feel the strain after long days. The drop down visor could be a couple shades darker, but it does ok keeping the glare at bay.

I like helmets with a drop down visor, because I don't like sunglasses under a helmet, and it is a nice modern convenience.

There is a Sena model made specifically for th GT-Air, but I have a generic SMH10 paired with my woman. Once installed, it just works.

Good luck on your journey.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 04:38 PM   #3
rdcusmc

Your head type/size will matter a lot for what you like. I've tried multiple models from same manufacturer with results great for one but terrible for another. You need to get out and try a lot of lids on.

If I were in the market now I'd take a serious look at a closeout Schuberth C3 Pro provided it fits/is comfy. Super quiet, lots of features. Can be had for about $400.

Best,
Ron

2003 Blue FZ1 - Ivan's MB Jet kit, Akrapovic, GOEC w/remote and GPS, 07 R1 fork conversion w/6 pot brakes, R1 master cylinder, R1 rear wheel w/R6 caliper, Penske shock, Dirt Road seat, AIS removed, HID and LED lights, full Givi luggage, Galfer lines, chain oiler, Rizoma bar, cat-eye turn signals above headlights, grip heaters, factory lower fairings, air box mod w/high flow filter, Cometic thin head gasket, FazerPhil large gas tank mod (in progress).
rdcusmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:57 PM   #4
_Will_

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bell-Carbon..._TGHGfyYvW2Fjw

Been practicing self control not to grab one since I already have an Arai but 350 for a CF shell, triple layer liner, and all the other goodies is hard to beat.
_Will_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:27 AM   #5
glory racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by headrec View Post
I've always been a budget rider in the past to an extent. More of a get a good bang for the buck. It's my first motorcycle in probably 7 years and since then the budget has grown a bit.

I currently have a scorpion helmet that I really like the fit...

I think I have an intermediate oval head if it matters.
IMO that is really the most important thing. A helmet that fits correctly and is comfortable is the first box to be checked. Without that there is no need to proceed to other boxes.

I have a long oval head so the only helmet that I have been able to find that is comfortable is the Arai profile/signet/signet x. If it were not for the shape of the helmet and resulting fit I would not buy such an expensive helmet ($600-$700). Additionally it is nice that all of the interior padding can be adjusted and even replaced with smaller or larger pads to customize the fit even further.

If you like the fit of the scorpion I would start there. Do realize that different models can fit completely differently. Also, most people buy helmets that are to large and don't fit correctly. Do some online viewing to insure you are fitting yourself correctly.

Evaluating and buying new riding gear is such fun...enjoy!
glory racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:40 AM   #6
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

You must try them on to ensure a good fit.

As to the big price spread, the more expensive helmets are generally quieter, have more features like better airflow, etc.

My choice is around $600, I was able to get one for far less but if it needed replacement, I would not hesitate to order another.

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:43 AM   #7
gotfz1
Do you like gladiator movies?

What others said regarding fit.

Have owned and used high end Arais and Shoeis. They're fine helmets. Not persuaded that more money means safer. Am persuaded more money may buy better fit, finish, features, weight, etc. A couple Scorpion models fit my head well, have features I really like (removeable/washable/adjustable liner, internal sun visor) and offer great value so have been using them for the past several years.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:56 PM   #8
Torchsport
Deer Whisperer

HJC has always fit my head perfectly and they are quite affordable. So I've always had those.
Currently have about 7 different examples for street, dirt and snow.
2006 Harley Davidson V-Rod Street Rod (*Not a real Harley)
2003 Yamaha YZF-R1 (My favorite generation)

*My reply: If you dont like motorcycles that handle/perform as one should, then yeah...the V-Rod is NOT a real Harley.
Torchsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:20 AM   #9
jredford
Musical Metal

What’s snow?

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
jredford is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Riding Gear