register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance

Old 07-14-2018, 10:43 PM   #1
Pistolero

Hard to start?

Hi all,

I have just become the proud owner of a 2005 Fz1 and I absolutely love the bike.

It runs fantastic and does everything I had expected and more.

The only problem with it, and it's not even a big one but it bugs me because I want everything to be perfect, is with the starting...

I have to crack the throttle whenever the bike has been sitting for a while, with or without choke. The manual says one should not need to touch the throttle to get it started.

Once it starts, it runs absolutely fine, hot or cold and no matter at what RPM.

Does anyone else experience this and what did you do to fix it?

Cheers,
Pete
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:39 PM   #2
grommet
kinetic mentality

Pretty common. Don't let it bother you.

Partly stabilized, partly curious.

Be your own man; don't be an owned man.

Some people would rather be dead than wrong.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:24 AM   #3
Pistolero

Thanks grommet.

But what could be causing this?

My '99 R1 was also carbureted and didn't have this problem.

I suspect it's carb related and something is just not adjusted correctly but don't know where to start.

Am thinking perhaps pilot jets or float height or something.

Haven't worked on carburetors before so a bit worried I'll make it worse if I just start fiddling with it.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:12 AM   #4
2wheelmax

Do you choke it?
2wheelmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:23 AM   #5
didier9

Mine just wonít start cold if I put any throttle at all. Donít need the choke unless itís really cold (Florida cold, so itís relative)
Starting hot is the other way around.
When engine is warm but not hot, I can do either way.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:34 AM   #6
bradd
Working away

They all do that and an timing advancer seems to help.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:12 AM   #7
iluvmyfz1
Just enjoy the machine....

My '03 has stock jetting, needs about 3/4 choke and cracked throttle to start from cold smoothly, then back the choke to 1/4. Warm idle set to about 1300. Once warm, just hit the button.

My '02 is jetted, full Yosh exhaust without EXUP. Needs max choke for the first 30 seconds. Once warm, just hit the button.
-'03 FZ1- "Xena"- Custom Orange/Red paint- FuzzyOne mirror mod- SW Motech QR racks- Givi E460 top- E21 side cases- SS brake lines - Scorpion slip-on- R6 shock- Throttlemeisters- Sargent seat- R1 shift arm- Custom sprocket cover- Cheap ass battery- Extended passenger pegs - Gauge of Eternal Coolness - Valtermoto Rearsets - HIDs -
iluvmyfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #8
YamahaMan444
Young Explorer

Per Ivan’s research “This flooding condition is due to excessive fuel in the carburetor's float chambers which overspills slowly when the bike is parked. The cylinders become 'wet' and slightly flooded, causing the rider to be forced to open the throttle slightly on a cold start with the choke”. Mine been like this for the last 50K Miles. Never been an issue. Just something you do.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:09 PM   #9
Pistolero

Thanks YamahaMan

I think Ivan’s explanation is on the money.

The carbs are not level but are mounted at a slight angle pointing down towards the engine, so that must be where the excess fuel goes and floods it.

I wonder how much fuel is seeping into the intake this way?

Ivan’s jet kit instructions say to lower the fuel level in the carb to address this. I wonder whether this is safe to do on a ‘stock’ carb without leaning it out too much.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:03 AM   #10
isleoman

I can start either of my Gen 1s with the choke (fuel enrichment circuit) but I would rather not. If you forget it's on and don't fully shut it off, you can foul the plugs.

A small crack of the throttle during start (as you have found) is all it has taken for 235K miles. If the partial throttle doesn't work, which has happened two or three times, then and only then do I resort to enriching.

Disclaimer: I store my bikes inside. If you leave your bike outside over night it might be harder to start without enriching.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Gen 1s. Most important life lesson I've learned on this site is "Ride more, worry less"

I have no jet kit on either of my Gen 1s.
isleoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:36 AM   #11
Wizbyu
Wizbyu

Ivan's jet kit. mod air box, only need 1/2 choke when first start in the morning after that it can sit for hours and no choke needed , never have I needed to crack the throttle open, only need full choke when it's below 50 degrees.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:22 PM   #12
Chik'Tikka
+^_^+

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaMan444 View Post
Stuff Ivan said
Thank you, i was worried something was wrong with mine and i'd have to take it apart for cleaning. Seemed like it took ages to actually fire with a full open choke and i was starting to worry a little about my starter. I was nervous about trying to crack the throttle because everything i read said i shouldn't have to and i didn't want to accidentally push an ice cold engine to 10k and wear it out faster...

Until i get around to actually getting the jet kit and fixing it i won't be so nervous about cracking the throttle+^_^+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolero View Post
I wonder how much fuel is seeping into the intake this way?

Ivan’s jet kit instructions say to lower the fuel level in the carb to address this. I wonder whether this is safe to do on a ‘stock’ carb without leaning it out too much.
AFAIK stock carb is already lean below 8k RPM, be careful.

As for seepage, i'm fairly sure the fuel pump prevents much fuel from going into the carb when bike is off, so only whatever's in the bowls is all that seeps i think...
Chik'Tikka is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance > Gen 1 Exhausts, Carburetion & Performance