register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 07-20-2007, 10:20 AM   #1
niNAG
BEWARE OF THE NAG

Whatcha Reading Good?

When I die I want to be buried at Barnes and Noble. Some of the best times I've ever had were in the pages of a book. I don't like to read; I looooove to read.

It is the eve of the Harry Potter book 7 release. I'm so excited I'm about to pee my pants. I have read and reread all of J.K. Rowlings books. I'm going to try to resist turning to the last chapter of the book and reading it first. (A VERY bad habit I have.)

My favorite genre is Fantasy. I am currently reading four books: two non-fictions, one historical fiction, and one fantasy. I should finish one of the books I'm reading today. It is called The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. It is about World War II seen through the eyes two children. One of the children is Jewish and the other is the son of Hitler's right hand man. I have already read the last two chapters, and I can tell you it is a very powerful ending.

So tell me what you're reading good, and I'll tell you what I'm reading good.

Last edited by niNAG; 07-21-2007 at 10:16 AM.
niNAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:26 AM   #2
ion
n( . )( . )b

I'm on my third Kurt Vonnegut novel in as many weeks. I started with Sirens of Titan which got me hooked on his style and wit, and then Slaughterhouse Five last week, and tonight or tomorrow I'll finish Cat's Cradle. I'll read at least a few more from Vonnegut before getting back into Italo Calvino to finish t-zero and probably Cosmicomics.

I'm also a huge fan of graphic novels, and especially Will Eisner.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:29 AM   #3
GettingFaster
So Misunderstood

I have a love/hate relationship with books and because of it I rarely read unless I'm travelling for work or on vacation. I love to read so much, that once I start a book, I can't put it down. That means I'm up until 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning and am worth crap the next day. So, I don't read.

The only fantasy I've ever read much of was Tolkein. I loved that as a kid and reread it as an adult about 6 years ago. Lately, I've really liked stuff from a guy named Sherman Alexie. Although it doesn't sound like it, he is an American Indian and his stuff is great whether it is short stories or novels. I've also seen him speak, and he has a great sense of humor. For airplanes, I usually grab an easy mystery off the shelf. A number of years back I spent a lot of time commuting on the train and during that time I read a lot and was into non-fiction and biographies. My favorite was on Andy Kaufmann and one on Ronald Reagan.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
Wlfman
Just another Slow Poke

Currently Re-reading Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series. Also reading the first book of the The Wolfblade Trilogy by Jennifer Fallon.

I have LOVED to read since elementry school. I sometimes will have 2-3 books that I am reading at the same time, and can keep up with all of them. I often times can read a whole novel in one day too.

"I ride not to add days to my life, but to add LIFE to my days."

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
Wlfman
Just another Slow Poke

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettingFaster
I have a love/hate relationship with books and because of it I rarely read unless I'm travelling for work or on vacation. I love to read so much, that once I start a book, I can't put it down. That means I'm up until 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning and am worth crap the next day. So, I don't read.

The only fantasy I've ever read much of was Tolkein. I loved that as a kid and reread it as an adult about 6 years ago. Lately, I've really liked stuff from a guy named Sherman Alexie. Although it doesn't sound like it, he is an American Indian and his stuff is great whether it is short stories or novels. I've also seen him speak, and he has a great sense of humor. For airplanes, I usually grab an easy mystery off the shelf. A number of years back I spent a lot of time commuting on the train and during that time I read a lot and was into non-fiction and biographies. My favorite was on Andy Kaufmann and one on Ronald Reagan.
If you loved Tolkein's stuff check out Robert Jordan Specificaly the Wheel of Time Series

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Old 07-20-2007, 10:33 AM   #6
Rabeet
Boys of Walmart

I'm reading a recent biography of Albert Einstein. Lately all I read are history books, biographies or early American stuff like Thomas Paine.

I'm a fan of Vonnegut. And Tolkein. Never found any fantasy I like after that.

If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule? - Anton Chigurh

If it ain't it'll do til the mess gets here. - Ed Tom Bell

He wants to know the names of all those he's better than - Little Hitlers Elvis Costello
Rabeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:33 AM   #7
GettingFaster
So Misunderstood

Has anyone read a book called The Year of Yes? I heard someone talking a bit about it, and it sounded like a funny premise. It's about a woman who says "yes" to anyone who asks her out for a full year.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:39 AM   #8
fizzyrider
Too stupid to know better

Do we at least get to flame niNAG for soiling herself over Harry Potter books?

I've fallen off reading of late. Dunno why. Maybe I'm depressed.

The last novel I read was Charles Frazier's "Thirteen Moons". His first novel "Cold Mountain" remains one of my all time favorites, so I was hoping for better. Eh.

Story was weak, lacked drama and just kind of petered out. His heart didn't seem to be in it. Sophomore slump I think it's called. Oh well....
fizzyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:49 AM   #9
niNAG
BEWARE OF THE NAG

Quote:
Do we at least get to flame niNAG for soiling herself over Harry Potter books?
Have you read it or just watched the movies?????
I have to read children's novels because of my line of work. As a matter of fact, my boss requires it. I have a list of 50 titles (all children's books) I have to read this coming school year.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:50 AM   #10
niNAG
BEWARE OF THE NAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettingFaster
Has anyone read a book called The Year of Yes? I heard someone talking a bit about it, and it sounded like a funny premise. It's about a woman who says "yes" to anyone who asks her out for a full year.
It sounds interesting. I'm putting that one on my list.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:51 AM   #11
niNAG
BEWARE OF THE NAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion
I'm on my third Kurt Vonnegut novel in as many weeks. I started with Sirens of Titan which got me hooked on his style and wit, and then Slaughterhouse Five last week, and tonight or tomorrow I'll finish Cat's Cradle. I'll read at least a few more from Vonnegut before getting back into Italo Calvino to finish t-zero and probably Cosmicomics.

I need more info. Tell me about the plot.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:53 AM   #12
niNAG
BEWARE OF THE NAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman
Currently Re-reading Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series. Also reading the first book of the The Wolfblade Trilogy by Jennifer Fallon.

I have LOVED to read since elementry school. I sometimes will have 2-3 books that I am reading at the same time, and can keep up with all of them. I often times can read a whole novel in one day too.
Wheel of Time? I think I've heard of this series. Tell me a little more about it.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:54 AM   #13
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion

Don't forget the "Kilgore Trout" novel Venus on the Half-Shell! All Vonnegut fans will know Kilgore Trout . I read ALL of his books 25 years ago. Now I only read scientific, historical, biographical or autobiographical books. I'm currently reading the Smokey Yunick autobiography trilogy. Talk about interesting! He was so much MORE than a race car builder. He was a pilot in WWII and owned and operated gold mines & oil wells in South America, among many other things.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:56 AM   #14
niNAG
BEWARE OF THE NAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFZ1
I'm reading a recent biography of Albert Einstein. Lately all I read are history books, biographies or early American stuff like Thomas Paine.

I'm a fan of Vonnegut. And Tolkein. Never found any fantasy I like after that.
I use to love biographies, but I can't remember the last one I read.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:56 AM   #15
Wlfman
Just another Slow Poke

Quote:
Originally Posted by niNAG
Wheel of Time? I think I've heard of this series. Tell me a little more about it.
http://www.tor.com/jordan/index.html

Old 07-20-2007, 10:57 AM   #16
niNAG
BEWARE OF THE NAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar
Don't forget the "Kilgore Trout" novel Venus on the Half-Shell! All Vonnegut fans will know Kilgore Trout . I read ALL of his books 25 years ago. Now I only read scientific, historical, biographical or autobiographical books. I'm currently reading the Smokey Yunick autobiography trilogy. Talk about interesting! He was so much MORE than a race car builder. He was a pilot in WWII and owned and operated gold mines & oil wells in South America, among many other things.
What genre is it?
Old 07-20-2007, 10:59 AM   #17
dipps
administrator

"Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera"
"PC Building Bible" [PC Magazine] - click here

glad you asked?

oh, and at least 1 or 2 books most nights when i put the kids to bed. favs include "one fish two fish", "where the wild things are", "hi! fly guy", "super fly guy", "i wanna iguana", etc. i can even understand some of them.
Into the hands of every individual is given a marvelous power for good or evil -- the silent, unconscious, unseen influence of his life. This is simply the constant radiation of what man really is, not what he pretends to be.
"I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus
dipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:01 AM   #18
fizzyrider
Too stupid to know better

Quote:
Have you read it or just watched the movies?????
Neither, but I know the origin of K.K. Rowling's books, the premise and the plotlines. Or well enough to know they would bore me silly. I'm not into "fantasy" reading.

It's kind of like surfing or horseback riding. Never done those either, but I can tell I wouldn't like doing those things.

But good for you if you like them. I'm keeping my finger on the flamethrower, though...

I prefer historical novels and historical biographies, especially about Lincoln. I find his life fascinating. Such a complex, magnanimous, humble figure who was more of a master politician than most people realize.

I hate it when his legacy is reduced to insulting caricatures every president's day in order to sell mattresses.
fizzyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:01 AM   #19
ion
n( . )( . )b

Quote:
All Vonnegut fans will know Kilgore Trout.
Oh yeah.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:03 AM   #20
Cougar
Nerd Herder

Quote:
What genre is it?
Fiction. Kilgore Trout is a character that shows up in several of Vonnegut's books. So he "ghost" wrote Venus on the Half-shell as a joke. Several characters show up in various books. If you haven't read any of his work, you should pick up one. They are very intertaining. So it goes...(one of his sayings).
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion