register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 04-27-2015, 01:12 AM   #161
Tom Renda
A Person Off Color

I have had some moderate success (down about 10 pounds since Easter) so I wanted to share my approach.

1. I try to limit breakfast and lunch to 300-350 calories each meal. There is plenty of information out there to help me stay within this limit.

2. I try to do an hour of moderate exercise daily which at my present weight (180) burns 400-500 calories.

3. I eat a normal dinner but I try to avoid extra portions.

4. I stay away from high calorie snacks but I will eat a small snack (100-200 calories) if there will be a long time between meals, or late at night if we ate an early supper.

5. I have knocked out most sweets and cut beer consumption by 2/3. (Several local breweries have gone bankrupt as a direct result, which I feel badly about, but it could not be helped)

Using the above approach I think I have cut out about 750 to 1000 calories a day, which works out to a weight loss of around 2 pounds a week.

The last time I lost any real weight was back in 1990-1991, when I lost about 30 pounds. The funny thing is, I didn't diet at all, I just rode it off - was doing about 200 miles a week on my bicycle in those days. (The weight came off so fast that Susan, the court clerk to my favorite judge, thought I had AIDS).

But that approach was not particularly healthy. This time around I am trying to do more upper body exercise, instead of just cycling, and of course at 57 I need to watch what I eat now if I am going to get down to where I need to be (sub 170).

If I succeed I will need new jeans and new cycling shorts by August. But my cycling shorts are all worn out, anyway, and I wear 12 dollar jeans from Dollar General, so we are not talking a lot of dough to stay clothed.
87 ZG1000 Concours
84 FJ1100
84 Laverda RGS1000
82 Moto Guzzi LeMans 850 Mark III
81 Honda CB900f
75 Norton Commando 850
75 Triumph Trident T160
74 Benelli 650 Tornado
71 BSA Lightning 650
71 Honda SL175
67 BSA Bantam 175
67 BSA Trail Bronc 175
Tom Renda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #162
CopperDog

Kind of a long story but here is mine.

I have lost nearly 40 pounds and 5 inches off my waist. I used to wear XXL shirts and squeeze into a 38 pant. When I began, just about nothing fit me well, and now clothes going back 15 years will not even fit - their on the big side. Here is how I did it.

Last year was a horrible year in every conceivable way. I lost my (mans) best friend - my dog Copper. Business was way down and last summer my family was hit with the fact that mom was diagnosed with a brain tumor. I do not tell these things for sympathy but rather; it hit me that, in life we endure things that take far more strength, resolution and courage to overcome than dropping weight. I was 50 years old, about 35 to 40 pounds overweight and one morning I got up and wondered into the bathroom and just starred into the mirror. My whole life I have been a tall sort of thin guy and yet this was not what I saw so I decided to change that.

I first zeroed in on what I was doing in the last couple of years that I did or did not do when I was thin. Well right off the bat, up until I was 40 I was an avid runner - in the 60 to 75 mile a week range. Age took care of that for me and now my knees will not support running so that's out. I am an outdoors kind of person, and I do get a lot of exercise through my work and some biking. So while I would up my exercise slightly, I decided the main, and direct focus of my weight loss would be food intake and the lifestyle that provided the environment to gain weight in the first place.

The Problem

I work primarily from home, and at times my work week is seven days long so it had become routine, to use the lunch break as a form of escape from the work environment. Usually me a buddy or two would hop on our bikes and drive to some place to eat. But when work got heavy and I needed to be back quick, I would just run to local fast food joint like Burger king, McDonalds or what have you and grab a quick lunch - super sized of course. After all, I would need that extra energy to get through a long day. Right? This is what I kept telling myself. After work, I would not be hungry at normal dinner time so while I would sit and eat a little dinner with the wife and kids, it would not be my final meal of the day. My routine would go like this work till about seven, sit with the family for an hour or two, sneak back out to the office to finish up emails, work on the website, print shipping labels, kill Zombies and so on. At around 11:30 or even as late as 12:30 I would head back in to relax. - and eat. So I would make myself something to eat. At first it might be some chips but as the months wore on, it could be a full blown bacon egg and cheese sandwich with leftover winds. Then straight to bed.

November 22nd, 2014

I was preparing to get a massive new project for work going and I knew that for the next several months I would be putting in many long hours and on top of this I was going to need as much energy as possible. Thanksgiving and the season of stuffing faces was right around the corner. To me this was perfect timing, If I could begin to change my eating and lifestyle right in the middle of all of this, well the rest of it would be easy.

So I sat down, and on a sheet of paper I made two columns and title them as such;
"I WILL" and the other "I WILL NOT". As I mentioned I had been a rather healthy person my whole life and I knew what I was doing wrong, so I decided to write it down in the simplest terms and it looked like this.

I WILL .................................................. .. I WILL NOT

Cut my food intake...................................... Eat Fast Food/Food thru a window or in a box
Be Hungry at first.........................................Eat less than five hours before bed
Eat at specific times......................................Snack or eat outside of meals
Save Money............................................. ....Ever stop this routine
Lose weight

Thanksgiving Day 2014

So about five days into the routine, I was of course feeling the hunger. But I kept reminding myself that this was a good thing and that I was not in fact starving. I knew that this was the day that would set me free and onto the path I really wanted to be on. I wanted to sit there at the dinner table with my wife and kids and enjoy eating the precise amount of food I had planned and not a bit more. I liked the fact that I could look at the plates of our seventeen and a nineteen year old girls and see that they were eating more than me, not a lot, but more. As I finished off the last of my little piece of turkey I just sat back and enjoyed the moment. I could site at a table covered in food and I was no longer telling myself it would be okay to eat a little more, but rather it was ok not to eat more.

As of today, I have not strayed once in over five months. My favorite "Comfort Food" was a good CheeseBurger with Steak Fries. I have had neither in this time but have no problem going to my favorite place for such food and ordering a Ceaser Salad or bowl of soup. Its kind of weird but I guess I had gotten so disgusted with myself that I associate those things with me at my worst and I think that was the key to my own weight loss.

I would also add that I did not deprive myself in a way that some think is necessary to lose weight. For instance, I like to have a beer after work and this still continues. I like good Hot wings, but instead of 20 wings and a plates of fries, Ill have maybe eight, unless there big and then I have only five.
CopperDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:58 AM   #163
WileyLogHomes
Need a Log Home?

Interesting this thread is back up, as I have recently started trying to get rid of my gut. I've been reducing calories and hiking 3-5 miles every morning except weekends. I'm about 10lbs down, but have about another 40 I'd like to go
Old 04-27-2015, 02:56 PM   #164
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

I got down to 210 and wanted to get to 200 but seemed to plateau. Reverting to normal habits and not trying in the slightest, I bounced up to 220 but stay there. My doc is very happy, as I am active, and eating healthy. No deliberate exercise. As I said before, exercise did not help me lose weight. Reducing portions and eating smart (similar to what Tom posted) was the key for me.

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:51 PM   #165
jointbeaker

I'm doing pretty well since the beginning of the year. I'm generally a bigger guy, 6'3" or so, and currently 245lbs...

I'm using myfitnesspal, and along with lifting 3x a week doing a Starting Strength routine, I'm down about 20lbs since new years. Right now that averages out to be something like 1.1lb/week....and I'm totally ok with that.

Being a super nerd, I've created a spreadsheet where I track dang near everything, and chart my progress.

Here's a screenshot of the chart I keep:

and a graph of weight loss since new years:

jointbeaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:15 PM   #166
still_bluenoser

Started P90X3 yesterday, Off beer during the week, watching what I eat.

6'3" 262lbs. I've already lost about ten pounds in the last month or two from not eating in the evening. We shall see..
still_bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:29 PM   #167
mikros

Slimgenics works awesome, the diet is spot on and the accountability really does help, but they kill you with high pressure sales pitches for supplements that are mostly snake oil. I lost 110 pounds on Slimgenics tho'. The actual "diet" part of it is great. No magic involved, if you eat good you will lose weight.

The generic idea anyone could take from it is to eat 2 or 3 lean protein servings each day, chicken and fish are best. Generically say 5 ounces per serving. Eat pretty much all the low carb vegetables you want, and eat two or three pieces of fruit each day. If you can train yourself to think along those lines for food you will feel great and be in good shape. Alcohol bread and sugar are killers, the less the better.

Nothing to it, right? lol I know how to lose weight, it's simple, the mental part is the real enemy.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:04 AM   #168
Torchsport
Deer Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchsport View Post
I'm in. My gf has been fattening me up the last few years with her excellent cooking. I told her no more big portions!
I've put on 25+ lbs the last few years.

I'm at 199. Goal is to get back to 175.
Never made it to 175. But I've been maintaining 180-185. Gotta start bicycling again to get down a few more. Need to be lighter on the track bike.
2006 Harley Davidson V-Rod Street Rod (*Not a real Harley)
2003 Yamaha YZF-R1 (My favorite generation)

*My reply: If you dont like motorcycles that handle/perform as one should, then yeah...the V-Rod is NOT a real Harley.
Torchsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:36 AM   #169
DCL_CT

CopperDog, Tom, you guys are inspiring me to get my butt in gear and eat better. It's not rocket science, but the hard part is convincing the brain to accept a new way of eating. Thanks guys!

Bikes past and present: 2007 Cobalt Blue Yamaha FZ1 (current), 2005 Titanium Kawasaki ZX-10R, 2001 Kawasaki ZX-9R (wifey's), 1994 Kawasaki ZX-9R (see a common theme?), 1989 Yamaha FZR 600, 1982 Yamaha Seca 750
DCL_CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:43 AM   #170
AndyW
Dumbass with a full PM inbox..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL_CT View Post
CopperDog, Tom, you guys are inspiring me to get my butt in gear and eat better. It's not rocket science, but the hard part is convincing the brain to accept a new way of eating. Thanks guys!

It's really hard if you don't have time to cook for yourself. Fast food is horrid, eating out can be as well as nothing good is healthy. Eating something first-thing is critical, though. I try to, within the first hour. If I'm rushed, I'll down a "diet" shake, just to get something in me..

Which would you prefer?
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:54 AM   #171
Fitty
Let's Ride!

When you get older and your friends start dying, it gets easier to make the proper changes to your diet and lifestyle. For me, cutting out simple carbs, along with some resistance and aerobic workouts, knocked off another 10 lbs that I couldn't lose by exercise alone. I eat a lot of veggies, along with lean protein, fruits and nuts.

Fitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:38 AM   #172
Gamecock
Retro Goodness!

I just ordered a FitBit yesterday and downloaded the MyFitnessPal app. Started tracking my food intake today. I'm tired of being at maximum density.

To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,...... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive.
Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:33 AM   #173
Desmo
WORST MODERATOR EVER

There is a nice app called "Moves" that will record walking running and biking automatically. I've used it for a couple years now with my iPhone 5 and 6.
Very cool. Runs in the background, you never notice it. Sends you daily/weekly/monthly summaries too if you want.

Also available for Android.

https://www.moves-app.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (30.8 KB, 67 views)
Old 05-03-2015, 10:57 AM   #174
jointbeaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitty View Post
When you get older and your friends start dying, it gets easier to make the proper changes to your diet and lifestyle. For me, cutting out simple carbs, along with some resistance and aerobic workouts, knocked off another 10 lbs that I couldn't lose by exercise alone. I eat a lot of veggies, along with lean protein, fruits and nuts.
I bolded the section that applied to me. Down damn near 55lbs since 2011ish...

Made this comparison earlier today, and am just freakin blown away at the difference.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:05 AM   #175
Fitty
Let's Ride!

All I can say is "Wow!". That is what you call a transformation! Congratulations!

Fitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:46 AM   #176
WileyLogHomes
Need a Log Home?

Did you cut your hair? Something is different...
Old 05-03-2015, 11:48 AM   #177
jointbeaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitty View Post
All I can say is "Wow!". That is what you call a transformation! Congratulations!
Thanks Fitty - Figure I should start this process now, before there's lil ones running around the house. I'm about halfway to where I want to be (in my head that's what I'm telling myself. hehe).

At 6'3" I'm still considered 'obese' at 244, which is where I'm at right now. Weight loss is slower this time around as I'm trying to hold onto, and possibly get some noob gainz lifting weights during the week, all while keeping my calorie/protein intake on point. It's just that easy.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:48 AM   #178
jointbeaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyLogHomes View Post
Did you cut your hair? Something is different...
it's gotta be the receding hairline.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:56 AM   #179
robrides85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Renda View Post
2. I try to do an hour of moderate exercise daily which at my present weight (180) burns 400-500 calories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyLogHomes View Post
and hiking 3-5 miles every morning except weekends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jointbeaker View Post
Weight loss is slower this time around as I'm trying to hold onto, and possibly get some noob gainz lifting weights during the week, all while keeping my calorie/protein intake on point. It's just that easy.
http://www.muscleforlife.com/high-in...d-weight-loss/

High Intensity Interval Training:
1) You start your workout with 2-3 minutes of low-intensity warmup on the lowest resistance.
2) You then bump the resistance up to 4-5, and pedal as fast as possible for 30 seconds.
3) You then reduce the resistance to its slowest setting and pedal at a moderate pace for 60 seconds. If you’re new to HIIT, you may need to extend this rest period to 90-120 seconds.
4) You repeat this cycle of all-out and recovery intervals for 20-25 minutes.
5) You do a 2-3 minute cool-down at a low intensity.

Some cool quotes:

Same or better effects, less time: "Thus, one of the characteristics of HIIE is that it involves markedly lower training volume making it a time-efficient strategy to accrue adaptations and possible health benefits compared to traditional aerobic exercise programs."

Better effects, same or less time spent exercising: "Fat mass decreased 12.4% with (interval training: 30 second sprint, 4 minute "rest", cycle 4-6 times) (mean ± SEM; 13.7 ± 1.6 to 12.0 ± 1.6 kg) and 5.8% with (endurance training: 30-60 minutes of jogging) (13.9 ± 1.7 to 13.1 ± 1.6 kg).

More fat loss, less time spent exercising (8 sec. cycle sprint, 12 second 30-40 rpm, cycle ~60 times, vs. 40 minutes 60% max effort) = significant decrease in central abdominal fat for HIIT vs. control and 60% max effort groups... "There was a significant decrease in total body mass (TBM) for the (HIIT) compared to the (control) group (P<0.01). No significant change occurred for the (60% max effort) or (control groups)."

Less energy expended (during exercise), however greater losses in fat: "Despite its lower energy cost, the HIIT program induced a more pronounced reduction in subcutaneous adiposity compared with the endurance training program."

TL;DR: do some maximally intense activity (sprint, cycle, etc) for ~20-30 seconds, back off to a resting pace for ~60 seconds, repeat the cycle for ~20 minutes (work up to this threshold if you can't get there immediately), and you'll experience more fat loss than if you spent an equivalent or even longer amount of time doing a moderately intense activity without the intense/rest cycle.

P.S. for those like jointbeaker (congrats on the loss) that are also looking to increase muscle development, this shorter cardio is even more appropriate, given desires that are somewhat at odds (fat loss + muscle growth).
Old 05-04-2015, 05:20 AM   #180
jointbeaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrides85 View Post
http://www.muscleforlife.com/high-in...d-weight-loss/

High Intensity Interval Training:
1) You start your workout with 2-3 minutes of low-intensity warmup on the lowest resistance.
2) You then bump the resistance up to 4-5, and pedal as fast as possible for 30 seconds.
3) You then reduce the resistance to its slowest setting and pedal at a moderate pace for 60 seconds. If you’re new to HIIT, you may need to extend this rest period to 90-120 seconds.
4) You repeat this cycle of all-out and recovery intervals for 20-25 minutes.
5) You do a 2-3 minute cool-down at a low intensity.

Some cool quotes:

Same or better effects, less time: "Thus, one of the characteristics of HIIE is that it involves markedly lower training volume making it a time-efficient strategy to accrue adaptations and possible health benefits compared to traditional aerobic exercise programs."

Better effects, same or less time spent exercising: "Fat mass decreased 12.4% with (interval training: 30 second sprint, 4 minute "rest", cycle 4-6 times) (mean ± SEM; 13.7 ± 1.6 to 12.0 ± 1.6 kg) and 5.8% with (endurance training: 30-60 minutes of jogging) (13.9 ± 1.7 to 13.1 ± 1.6 kg).

More fat loss, less time spent exercising (8 sec. cycle sprint, 12 second 30-40 rpm, cycle ~60 times, vs. 40 minutes 60% max effort) = significant decrease in central abdominal fat for HIIT vs. control and 60% max effort groups... "There was a significant decrease in total body mass (TBM) for the (HIIT) compared to the (control) group (P<0.01). No significant change occurred for the (60% max effort) or (control groups)."

Less energy expended (during exercise), however greater losses in fat: "Despite its lower energy cost, the HIIT program induced a more pronounced reduction in subcutaneous adiposity compared with the endurance training program."

TL;DR: do some maximally intense activity (sprint, cycle, etc) for ~20-30 seconds, back off to a resting pace for ~60 seconds, repeat the cycle for ~20 minutes (work up to this threshold if you can't get there immediately), and you'll experience more fat loss than if you spent an equivalent or even longer amount of time doing a moderately intense activity without the intense/rest cycle.

P.S. for those like jointbeaker (congrats on the loss) that are also looking to increase muscle development, this shorter cardio is even more appropriate, given desires that are somewhat at odds (fat loss + muscle growth).
I'm a fan of HIIT myself as much as it sounds like you are, but that's not to say that there isn't any benefits to steady state cardio either. In my mind, back when I first started out, ANY activity was better than coming home from work and vegging out on the couch. Going out for a walk and listening to the baseball game, running a CouchTo5k, or running some sort of HIIT system with an app on my phone. It all had it's place.

As my progress is still moving along at a relatively predictable rate, I'm hesitant to start with cardio work. In all of the reading that I connected to most (being I'm no expert, far from it, far, far far from it. hah), one of the things that stuck most was let your calorie intake dictate what happens to scale readings, and only start introducing cardio once adjusting calories to a comfortable/non-starving level no longer makes sense. I'm sure I didn't explain that how I wanted, but...I'm letting the stuff I do in the kitchen, along with the weight lifting, create my scale losses.

I'm sure there'll come a time where I want to slim down even more after the above stops working for me, at which time I'll embrace change.

Thanks for the post robrides. Cheers

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion