register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 05-13-2013, 06:40 AM   #41
Gamecock
Retro Goodness!

Well, I just started back swimming today. As some may know I've been swimming since I was 7 (I'm almost 42 now) and got back into competition (US Masters Swimming) about 5 years ago. Being layed off for the last two years took its tole and I hadn't been in the pool in 15 months. Been working again since Sept and they just opened a new Aquatic center down the street from me.

I'm currently about 245 and when I was "in shape" and competiting a few years ago I was about 220. So its gonna be a long road back, but it starts with the first step. I swam about 2000 yards this morning (80 laps in a 25 yard pool to non-swimmers), nothing hard for me, just getting acclimated again. Took about 45-60 minutes. Once back in shape I can do about 5000 yards in 90 minutes....and that is interval training, not straight swimming back and forth. Its about the only exercise I LIKE doing and doesn't make my body hurt, ache, etc.....just whips you and makes you really tired!

To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,...... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive.
Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:46 AM   #42
Gamecock
Retro Goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Renda View Post

Among the big ones are:

a. Eat smaller meals, more often. Do not go long perioid between meals, and then binge.

b. Eat slowly and drink water with your food. Your stomach needs time to figure out it is full. Water helps expand the food in your stomach.

c. Cut back on high fat meals. You don't need to completely give up barbecue, or McDonalds. But you can't have them every day.

d. Do not skip breakfast. Don't gorge, but eat something healthy.

e. Substitute water for ANY caloried drink, not just soda. Orange juice has a TON of carbohydrates. You would think it would be good for you. You'd be wrong.
Pretty good. I would also add with letter "E". You can water down your juices. People do it to trick their kids to control consumption as well. Do like 60% juice, 40% tap water. You really won't notice much of a difference....other than calorie intake.

Also on "D". If you workout in the AM, try to eat you breakfast within 20-30 minutes of your workout. You metabolism will be at its highest and your body will also absorb the nutrients more efficiently.

Letter "A" is the biggest one for me. I'm one of those people that could gorge and eat once a day. I'm working on getting back to the 5 times a day, small meals.

To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,...... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #43
jimmydteach
crazyscot

I quit smoking in January, turned 50 in April, and have been watching my gut get a bit bigger. I realize that quitting smoking has caused my metabolism to slow down a bit. I have been eating a diet high in whole grains, raw vegetables, nuts, and no soda for about a week. Just saw my folks yesterday and they claim to see a difference in one week. I have noticed that my clothes are fitting a bit better and that I have a bit more energy.
jimmydteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #44
Gamecock
Retro Goodness!

Good for you. I just never understood why people smoke. I took a few puffs in college and said no way (other than some "Herb", hey its college!).

Soda is a killer. High calorie, all sugar, no nutritional value, caffeine and makes you MORE thirsty. Even zero calorie, no sugar stuff is rotten. Ever notice those headaches you get when you stop smoking and drinking soda? Your body's cold turkey reaction to losing its chemical dependence.

Avoided additives, preservatives, chemicals and you'll be MUCH better off. Read labels and avoid the marketing hype/ploys.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #45
fizzyrider
Too stupid to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydteach View Post
I realize that quitting smoking has caused my metabolism to slow down a bit.
Is there really a connection there? I've never heard that.

I had always read that people gain weight after quitting smoking because (1) there's a natural compulsion to put something in your mouf i.e. oral fixation and (2) your taste buds start to get cleaned off when all the junk from the cigarettes goes away and food starts actually tasting better, resulting in greater consumption.

Regardless, good on ya for quitting. Hope it takes!

- Some Loser
fizzyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #46
jimmydteach
crazyscot

Yep, there is. Didn't eat any more than usual because I didn't want to gain weight.
jimmydteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #47
Kingbud815

I'm only 24 so I feel like I have it a bit easier losing weight than the middle aged guys. About six months ago, I started my weight loss, and workout plan. I decreased the size of all of my meals, stopped drinking soda, almost stopped beer, and I cut down on carbs and fat. Along with this diet, I started weight lifting/cardio at the gym. I currently workout about 5-6 days per week. I don't weigh myself and have only weighed myself twice since December. I pay attention to my fat loss and muscle gain by the mirror. The best part of this workout, at this point, is I can eat just about anything without gaining fat. A big motivator for this whole thing is my goal/dream of becoming a professional firefighter and geting out from behing this desk. If I had to estimate my weight loss, I'd say 25 pounds but I've gained a decent amount of muscle.

TBR Slip On, KN Filter, LARS Air Box Mod, EXUP Elim, Gutted Cat, AIS Blocked, ASV Levers, JScaggs Billet Rack, Givi V46, Puig Screen, Top Sellerie Front & Rear Seat.
Kingbud815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #48
Kingbud815

Duken - So you drink your protein prior to your workout? Does it "weigh" you down or make you feel full? How do you like your performance at the gym after having the protein.?

TBR Slip On, KN Filter, LARS Air Box Mod, EXUP Elim, Gutted Cat, AIS Blocked, ASV Levers, JScaggs Billet Rack, Givi V46, Puig Screen, Top Sellerie Front & Rear Seat.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #49
t84a
Real Bikers Pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock View Post
Well, I just started back swimming today. As some may know I've been swimming since I was 7 (I'm almost 42 now) and got back into competition (US Masters Swimming) about 5 years ago. Being layed off for the last two years took its tole and I hadn't been in the pool in 15 months. Been working again since Sept and they just opened a new Aquatic center down the street from me.

I'm currently about 245 and when I was "in shape" and competiting a few years ago I was about 220. So its gonna be a long road back, but it starts with the first step. I swam about 2000 yards this morning (80 laps in a 25 yard pool to non-swimmers), nothing hard for me, just getting acclimated again. Took about 45-60 minutes. Once back in shape I can do about 5000 yards in 90 minutes....and that is interval training, not straight swimming back and forth. Its about the only exercise I LIKE doing and doesn't make my body hurt, ache, etc.....just whips you and makes you really tired!
Nice. Glad to hear you're back in the pool. Given your history, I doubt you'll have any problem getting back into shape. Good luck.

JOIN THE AMA
Helmet Fact
My local powder coater
t84a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #50
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbud815 View Post
Duken - So you drink your protein prior to your workout? Does it "weigh" you down or make you feel full? How do you like your performance at the gym after having the protein.?
IMO you don't need to worry about that stuff. Keep a simple common sense diet and you will be fine. Shakes, pills, herbs...that stuff is a waste of money. Just use common sense.

While I applaud you working out 5-6 days a week apply to common sense rule there as well. Don't burn yourself out and be certain you are giving a muscle group enough recovery time.

Keep it up!!

And congrats to you for making the move to be a firefighter and leaving the desk behind. I should have made a similar move years ago. Now it's too late. Good luck to you.
OSUFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #51
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbud815 View Post
I do like to drink it 30 minutes before. For me anyway, it does seem to give me more endurance. I have not had the last third of the workout "brown out" experience since starting this.

Everyone is different, but that is what works for me. I just do the Costco Muscle Milk Whey stuff that comes in a big bag. The bag is easy to toss when empty (hate the big plastic jug things) and lasts a long time. Like the taste of it too. Last I checked it cost $46 and the bag is 6 lbs.

Bought a jug of Optimum Nutrition Whey for $46 on sale. To be honest, I while the ON stuff has a better "reputation" I like the Costco Muscle Milk stuff better It mixes and tastes better. Nothing wrong with the ON powder, but no way I would pay over $80 full retail for it.

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #52
Kingbud815

Thanks, I'm hoping the firefighter profession comes through this year. I try to give each muscle just enough rest, it's easy to tell when I don't. The weight lifting doesn't seem to improve as quickly when pushing it too often.

I'll try drinking my protein before my workout. I hate that end of workout lull. I've been buying then EAS whey protein from BJs Wholesale Club. It's 32.99 for a 5lb bag. It's 26 grams for two scoops. It doesn't taste too bad. Lately I've been adding Chobani cherry yogurt to it.

Going to the gym really helped me with motivating me for weight loss. I really recommend that anyone thinking of exercising and not sure about the gym just give it a try. I personally couldn't do the work out at home thing. Just try anything and see what sticks.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #53
Duken4evr
Map Maven

When I go to the gym also has a great impact on the experience. The same people always go at the same time. Through trial and error, I have found the time slot that the trophy wives and hot chicks work out. I tend to go then

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Old 05-14-2013, 04:21 AM   #54
Blue Flash
Recovering Nuke

I bought a bowflex blaze... Actually got it because it had leg presses, and I wanted to get in better shape for an upcoming ski trip to Grand Targhee, WY.

When I bought it, the only goal was the ski trip. I'm 5'8, weighed in at 185. That was mid January. The machine came with a book with a diet plan... about 1200 calories a day, and a LOT of water... about 8 to 10 pines of water a day. Drinking a bottle of water before a meal helps you eat less, too... The bowflex diet plan is pretty easy to follow... you even get a shopping list!

OK... by mid March and the ski trip, I weighed in at 158. The best powder skiing of my life! But I had met my goal... didn't have a follow on goal... Then... the machine got buried in a construction mess as we finished out a basement bedroom... that was about 5 years ago. The great part was that I could track my weight, and it was consistently 1/2 lbs a day, or just below that... nice to see it coming off every day!

Last November, I weighed in at 191, and it looked like I was 8 months pregnant... This ain't gonna work! so I dusted off the machine, and went back on the diet. by Mid March, I was in the mid 160s, and I've maintained between 165 and 170 since... The plan was 10 lbs lighter, but I'm feeling pretty good now. I weigh every day, and follow something similar to the diet, but I still get to eat a good meal every few days... just have to cut it back and keep the weight in check. The exercise increases my energy as well.

My weakness is the evenings... so I try to make sure that I have something that needs to be done, rather than kicking back after the day at work... when I'm kicking back, I want to munch...

I'll get fired up to get that extra 10 lbs off soon, but I'm sure as heck enjoying not being at 190 anymore!
- IBA # 39318
Blue Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:18 AM   #55
Dbl K
I have created Fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock View Post
Its about the only exercise I LIKE doing and doesn't make my body hurt, ache, etc.....just whips you and makes you really tired!
Explain to me how I can run 5 miles or go ride 25/30 miles and be ok. I swim 2k and I feel like I got run over by a truck. Not to mention it makes me hungrier than a mofo. I get home from swimming and I could eat people out of house and home, get home from riding/running not so much.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:15 AM   #56
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Never seen any human eat as much as a young and serious swimmer! Back when I was in my 20s, a friend of mine was like that. He ate well, but he ate tons of food and had that broad shouldered long and lean swimmer body. Good looking guy and he got all the chicks too. I hated him!

Swimming is an awesome workout.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:14 AM   #57
jredford
Musical Metal

I recall hearing that Michael Phelps consumed 12,000 calories a day when he was training.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:27 AM   #58
jethro
Racoon-slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jredford View Post
I recall hearing that Michael Phelps consumed 12,000 calories a day when he was training.
Yeah, well.... munchies dude!!

2003 Polaris 700XCSP
1995 Polaris 600XLT

"Peace, by superior fire power..."

My bikes: http://www.geoffreysworld.com/The%20Bikes.htm
jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:27 AM   #59
Gamecock
Retro Goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbl K View Post
Explain to me how I can run 5 miles or go ride 25/30 miles and be ok. I swim 2k and I feel like I got run over by a truck. Not to mention it makes me hungrier than a mofo. I get home from swimming and I could eat people out of house and home, get home from riding/running not so much.
Because swimming is an all engaging sport/activity. It requires you to use all your major muscle groups pretty much at once and the whole time. The only "rest" you get is pushing off the walls to glide. You pretty much have to in order to be "stable" in the water. For me, and what I believe, is that you really have to have strong/stable shoulders,lats, core (probably #1), and legs. When I mean strong I mean "strong", not big, and lean muscle that is what I call "oxygen efficient" (like a cross country skier, marathon runner, basketball players, etc). Unless you are a drop dead sprinter in swimming, you are pretty long and lean usually (always a exception or two). Its always funny watching big, strong guys that thing they are tough in the pool gas out after one or two laps.

I like Mtn. biking, but I really hate running. I was a really good runner when younger but it just pounds on my body too much these days. Now that I'm in my 40's and can pick and choose what activities to do I like to keep them things I enjoy and can get a workout.

Yes, I can definitely eat like its going out of style. But you have to be very careful. I would always gain a lot of weight, even when in HS/College, because I didn't change my eating habits when on breaks from the pool. I also sleep REALLY well at night.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:10 AM   #60
n.e.mich
Pffffffft

March 10th: 238 lbs.
May 15th: 205.5 lbs.

Just under 6' tall.

March 10th I started on the treadmill following this: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml I am past that now running 5 miles at a time 4-5 times per week. Basically, I try to run around 20 miles a week. Of course, I stopped eating anything and everything as well. Mostly grilled chicken breast and a vegetable, yogurt, fruit, coffee and water. A handful of unsalted, unroasted, tasteless almonds every once in a while.

Was "pushing" the button on 38" jeans to the limit, was really a size 40", just couldn't get myself to go buy any. Today, 36" are getting pretty loose. I have 2 drawers full of 34" pants from before I quit smoking 3 1/2 years ago so thats good! Might be wearing them in another week to ten days.

Last edited by n.e.mich; 05-15-2013 at 07:36 AM.
n.e.mich is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion