register a new account, it's free!
fz1oa store
email the fz1oa webmasters
read the fz1oa guidelines
read the fz1oa policy
open pat's fz1 site in a new window
open iowaz fz1 site in a new window
technical tips

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion

Old 05-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #21
Dbl K
I have created Fire!

Protein shakes make great breakfasts along with an apple/banana/watermelon. Drink one with some 1% or skim milk and you're off to a good start for the day. I'm personally a fan of Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Whey

Swap Green Tea for soda if you're hard up for caffeine

Someone asked earlier....what do you use for motivation? As Dave Ramsey would say...."One day you get sick and tired of being sick and tired" If you can make it a month, jeans get a little looser, you're going another notch on the belt and the motivation seems to build off itself in that respect.

Set small goals both in weight loss and exercise and just keep building on them.

Make no mistake, you're gonna crave food something fierce. It's both a diet and a lifestyle change and neither will come easy. Hell I'm 4 months in and I'm still craving the bad stuff. As they say you can have cookies, just have 1 cookie, not 1 bag.

And for god's sakes, stop watching food shows. That's been the biggest help at curbing the cravings, no more food network in this house.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #22
WileyLogHomes
Need a Log Home?

It's been over 3 years and I still crave coca Cola...
Old 05-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #23
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Here is my rambling fitness philosophy:

Fitness is a day to day journey, not a destination. We live in a physical world. Interacting with it with a fit and alive body is one of life's joys. It is more than worth the effort.

Moderately intense weight training is the best bang for the buck (timewise) exercise there is. Cardio is good, but lifting weights is better. Weights cause the body to burn more calories at rest.

I try to do my weight training in such a way that the heart rate is moderately elevated so there is a cardio aspect to it. It does not have to be crazy intense, just no sitting around much beyond a minute or so between sets allowed. Sometimes I go heavy, sometimes light, always mixing it up to keep it interesting. It is funny how two machines that do the "same" thing hit the body slightly differently. I can do a similar machine and feel it the next day. I do like Protein Whey powder about 30 minutes before a workout as it seems to help my endurance. I also feel focusing on the "big muscles" (legs) prods the body to grow and get stronger in general.

Oatmeal for breakfast most days. Never ever miss breakfast. My wife says my oatmeal looks and feels like vomit. I love the stuff. She is trying to make bars out of it. I avoid eating fast food and processed food like Hamburger Helper type stuff. Avoid eating out much in general as I am cheap, and most restaurant food is way too rich. Avoid stuffing my face, and avoid going hungry. Avoid fatty food. Take fish oil and glucosamine. Never drink soft drinks. Not ever. This was a hardship for awhile, but I do like to drink a beer or a glass of wine here and there. I honestly believe drinking a beer or having some wine is a lot better for body and soul than drinking a Coke.

Get a good moderate some discomfort is good enough with the occasional push it hard here and there to see what this old boy can still do workout in, but no need to get fit in a day, as Arnold said "I'll be back". Moderate weights have been a habit for at least 25 years now. I view it as maintenance, like brushing my teeth. Too "lazy" to get out of shape. It is easier to get in reasonably good shape and maintain it than to yo-yo, just as regularly brushing one's teeth is easier than getting drilled by the dentist.

Ride the dirt bike in the Colorado mountains as much as possible. Best full body workout there is, most fun I have ever had and keeps me young at heart. Attitude is important.

Joints and connective tissue a little stiff but I can rip off a set of 10 free weight benches at 225 lbs easier than I did back when I was in my 20s, and my legs are stronger too. Not entirely sure when the curve will roll over and strength will diminish, it has not yet. Pretty sure the joints and connective tissue will determine that, the muscles just keep going. With that in mind, I try to keep things moderate to avoid injury. Never stopped going to the gym 3x a week for an hour at a time. Not a total gym rat by a long shot, but that 3 or so hours (again no sitting around while in there) at the gym week in and week out makes all the difference, and it matches up with my goal is to keep it sustainable.

Purposely have a non self propelled lawn mower for the exercise and because the 20 year old thing won't die. Like riding my bicycle around at a good pace. Fun to chase after the serious bike riders in spandex on my old Trek 8000 mtn bike while riding in my sweat pants and keep up, thanks to strength and endurance garnered from the time spent on the leg rack at the gym. I kinda like fvcking with people like that. Keeps me feeling young. A little playful bring it bitch, lessee what ya got in general is good. Just because I am in my 50s and drive an invisible family sedan that announces to the world I have given up, I am not dead. Not yet

6-1 and 192 pounds with a 34 inch waist. Excellent blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol, etc. People are generally pretty surprised when they find out I am 51 years old

Wise man said - "Don't go bagger too soon".

Get your FI maps right here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nr...1_Map_Pack.zip

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M

Last edited by Duken4evr; 05-09-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #24
DCL_CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyLogHomes View Post
So I am pretty active, I work outside most everyday, part of me quitting my desk job was wanting to be physically active again. I am carrying around 60 extra lbs, but still bang out 8-12 mile hikes at the drop of a hat, with the occasional 20+ mile hike with out to many ill effects.
I like that you mention hiking and have a funny story to go along with that. Up here in New England we have 6288' Mount Washington as our "pinnacle". I've hiked to the summit several various times with the guys, wife, friends, etc. So, my 16 year old nephew wanted to experience this as well this past summer so we planned it out and did this one of the days we were up in New Hampshire.

Now remember, he's 16 and weighs about 135; I was 42 at the time and about 205. Keep in mind that while I have hiked to the summit about 6 or 7 times, I am still carrying a good 20 lbs. extra around my middle - I'm not right off the cover of "Mens Fitness". I picked the Ammonusuc Ravine Trail because it's relatively short - about 4 miles - and scenic. This is going to be an up-and-back day trip for us. Starting out in the morning, Daniel has to stop about every 10 minutes to "adjust his boots", "fix his pack", "check the GPS on his phone", etc. Finally around lunch time we make it to the Lake of the Clouds AMC hut - pretty much 1.1 miles from the summit of the mountain. After discovering his phobia for beef jerky and that the kitchen area of the hut doesn't look "FDA approved", he ate his PB&J and we were on our way.

We left the hut and walked 0.1 miles before he had to stop and rest again. At this point he has already voiced that he's not hiking down, but paying to ride the cog rail down the mountain - he doesn't have the energy to hike down. So, after a few repeats of 0.1 miles / 5 minute rest, I say to him that if we're going to take the cog down we need to get to the summit before everything closes! Finally I told him to take his pack off, then I would point out a group of people or a cairn up ahead and say "there's our next rest stop - let's go!". So, I had my pack, his pack, and nearly had to haul him the rest of the way up the last mile! I did remind him that I have 27 years and 80 lbs. on him - he should be sprinting up the mountain!

Kids these days! Mostly what it was is that he's never been in a situation where he's had to dig deep past his comfort level and tough it out. Everything in his life has been easy and handed to him, this was a challenge that he later remarked "did it, don't need to do it again".

Bikes past and present: 2007 Cobalt Blue Yamaha FZ1 (current), 2005 Titanium Kawasaki ZX-10R, 2001 Kawasaki ZX-9R (wifey's), 1994 Kawasaki ZX-9R (see a common theme?), 1989 Yamaha FZR 600, 1982 Yamaha Seca 750
DCL_CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:59 AM   #25
jethro
Racoon-slayer

Fitness and exercise have very little to do with weight loss. It get's a little complicated and there that little thing about improving your resting heart rate, but for all intensive purposes, exercise does not lose weight. It is all about your intake. I have been going through this with my doctor for three years, I'm overweight and have been for quite some time. 5'-9" and 250lbs. The logic is that there is no way for the regular human to do enough exercise to burn more calories than you take in. Take running, which might burn 300 calories an hour, and that's a lot. That's a large soda. So if you eat too many calories, do you have the time and energy to run 5-8 hours a day? No, so you have to lessen your intake. It is all about counting your calories and eating the right calories and fats.

Exercise improves your health of course, but eating right loses weight. Simple as that. Of course I'm still a fatso, but I have been hearing it from my doc for a long time, and I'm trying to improve how I eat. My doctor tells me that if I do absolutely no exercise but stick to his calorie restricted diet and the right kinds of fat, that the weight will melt off me.
2003 Polaris 700XCSP
1995 Polaris 600XLT

"Peace, by superior fire power..."

My bikes: http://www.geoffreysworld.com/The%20Bikes.htm
jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #26
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Jethro is right of course. It is probaby impossible to "burn" enough calories in the gym doing cardio or weight training to lose much weight. A pound of fat has 3500 calories and we have to do some ridiculous amount of work to burn even 200 calories. I do think that weight training fires up the metabolism, making easier to reach the desired body fat level, as the muscles are awakened and burning more calories all the time, even at 2AM, but that has to be paired with appropriate food intake. Thing about Jethro type guys. When they get super serious, they tend to make great big scary strong bodybuilders. I don't have that kind of size potential in me.

Just looking at the scale does not necessarily tell the story either. Losing fat and building muscle is good, the overall weight may not change much, but body composition does. In the end, it is what we can do right? I submit that DCL_CT is more fit than his 16 year old nephew. That should set of alarm bells in that kid's head to get his ass in gear. Sheesh. When I was 16, I was unstoppable. Maybe not able to move the weights I can move now, but back then I could ride a bike and run for miles and miles.

The thing I notice about "kids today" (jeez, sound like an old man). The boys tend to be Justin Bieber skinny "Metro" looking dudes, and the girls are mostly "thick". Not obese, but bigger legs/hips than we were back in the day. My 15 y/o daughter is 5-8 and quite a bit thinner than most of her peers, and yet she still weighs 125, which is what my same height wife weighed when we were married. Most of her peers are probably in the 145 or more pound range. They are good looking kids, but at only age 15 one wonders where they will be when they are 45. Physically they already look like they are 30...

Akra full exhaust mindless stationary rev out Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5UNYBqHd7M
Old 05-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #27
Dbl K
I have created Fire!

What's that saying? "No amount of exercise can outdo a poor diet" or "You can't out train a poor diet"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro View Post
Fitness and exercise have very little to do with weight loss. It get's a little complicated and there that little thing about improving your resting heart rate, but for all intensive purposes, exercise does not lose weight. It is all about your intake. I have been going through this with my doctor for three years, I'm overweight and have been for quite some time. 5'-9" and 250lbs. The logic is that there is no way for the regular human to do enough exercise to burn more calories than you take in. Take running, which might burn 300 calories an hour, and that's a lot. That's a large soda. So if you eat too many calories, do you have the time and energy to run 5-8 hours a day? No, so you have to lessen your intake. It is all about counting your calories and eating the right calories and fats.

Exercise improves your health of course, but eating right loses weight. Simple as that. Of course I'm still a fatso, but I have been hearing it from my doc for a long time, and I'm trying to improve how I eat. My doctor tells me that if I do absolutely no exercise but stick to his calorie restricted diet and the right kinds of fat, that the weight will melt off me.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:40 AM   #28
jredford
Musical Metal

Quote:

Spot on jethro.

2013 Ninja 300 Race Bike
2016 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #29
OSUFZ1
14' National Champions

If you want to lose weight then yes, you need to eat better. To say exercise does not play a role is a cop out to not do it in the first place.
OSUFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #30
Kburggibbs

Quote:
but for all intensive purposes,
Does that have something to do with the intensity of your workouts?

Another saying what you said reminded me of: Weight loss will help you look good with your clothes on. Exercise will help you look good with them off.

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
Kburggibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #31
canblue
Monster Hooligan Elite

Diet and exercise definitely do go together, both should be considered when losing weight.

Simple math: Take in less calroies than you body burns.

If you lower your intake below what your body needs you'll lose weight.
If you take in exactly what you body needs and then start an exercise program, you'll lose weight.
If you combine both items above, you'll lose weight faster, simple as that.

Also note that as you increase your exercise it will become easier to do allowing you to burn more calories by working harder/longer. If you take exercise to the extreme, something most of us can't do of course, you can comsume lots of calories ... check out what some olympic athletes intake.

Steve

P.S. Being the reigning weight loss winner at my work I've been through this.
canblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #32
ER^NPILOT

This year my wife and I decided to lose some poor eating habits. In the process Ive lost 15 pounds, down to 144. Wifey has lost 10, down to 108. Our bank account is fatter however, because as a result of this, we realized that eating out we would consume about 1000 calories in one meal! I bicycle, wifey does Zumba, but eating better/less is where weight is lost.

Thing is, its easy to lose weight, if you are honest. Use an app like MyFitnessPal, count your calories, and you will be amazed by the empty calories you consume, or how small snacks add up. 3500 calories, is a pound of fat. Cut 3500 calories per week, off what your body NEEDS, not what you currently eat, you will lose a pound per week, easy math. 500 calories per day.
Food is supposed to sustain us, we begin using it for feelings of pleasure, and lose track of the consequences.

The problem with just working out is that many people work out, get hungrier because they burned calories, then eat MORE than they normally would, and lose little to no weight. You have to be honest about your calorie intake and output. This is no different than a household budget, and will succeed or fail for the same reasons.

Last edited by ER^NPILOT; 05-10-2013 at 10:35 AM.
ER^NPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #33
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Another related thing that make sense.

Reduce stress, get enough sleep. Being stressed out and tired is bad for health and weight management. A stressed body releases cortisol, which tends to be a fat body. Take time for yourself. Ride the FZ1. Breathe. Who knew your bike could be a weight loss tool

Old 05-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #34
Cougar
Nerd Herder

This will do it. I did it and it works!

http://bodyforlife.com/

I have the pictures to prove it.
'06, Ivan's ECU Flash, PCIII, Scorpion Can, Airbox Mod, Wire Re-route, 16T, Speedohealer, Ivan's AIS Kit, Cat Skinned, Flies Swatted, EXUP Gone, Lower Fairings, EvoTech Fender Eliminator, Givi V35's and Top Box, SW-Motech Racks, FZ-6 Footpeg Rubber, Blind Spot's Fuel Line, Fren Tubo Brake Lines & Pazzo Levers, Luke's Seat Latch Mod, R1 Shock & Satan's Adapter, Duken4evr Fork Oil, R6 Throttle, CD Screen

Cougar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:41 PM   #35
packnrat

Unhappy

lets see sat i was on duty for 15 hrs.
get a whole 10 hrs off duty
not even enough time to eat let alone sleep enough.
bad food, very bad diet. truckers have it hard for trying to lose weight.
no way i can run as i got bad knees feels like sand is in there.
can not swim, no matter as no pool or time to even do such.
my Doc says i need to lose 60 pounds.
but then he does not eat more than rabbit food and gets to ride a bicycle every day, and get time off work for fun things. i get a day off work each week so i can sleep.

packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:42 AM   #36
2wheelmax

I like a nice shot of cognac in a rock glass on the weekends. I also travel almost 200 nights annually. Combine the cognac with restaurant food like pizza and sub sandwiches while quickly approaching 50 yo, I need to go to the gym whenever I am home. The hotel gyms are mediocre.

Alcohol, cheese and bread are what bloat me. Takes me three days to work off a pizza and a shot. Currently I am 6'1 192lbs and fluctuate between 189-194.
2wheelmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:13 AM   #37
ER^NPILOT

Im an airline captain. 200 nights away from home annually, 13-16 hour duty days, short rest periods, airport food on the run between flights. Ive learned that no matter where I go, there are healthier options, maybe not HEALTHY, but healthier. I also carry a stash of low sugar protein bars to hold me over when I work 9 hours or more with no breaks, this way I don' binge on crap when I do get time too eat a meal. Ive lost a lot of weight, and I didn't have a lot to lose...
Old 05-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #38
lowtone9
WWQD?

Take smaller sips of your beer. You''ll consume less beer, and will be getting more exercise.
lowtone9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #39
Tom Renda
A Person Off Color

OK, here goes.

1. "You can't lose weight by just exercising."

True for most people.

Exercise at the near barf rate (that is run/hike/swim as fast as you can until you think you are going to heave, then back off until you stop gasping and can maintain the pace for at least 30 minutes) burns on average about 600 calories an hour. Unless you can spend hours a day doing this type of fat burning, long slow distance endurance training, exercise alone wil not do it.

But it will make it easier to lose and make you healthier. Exercise actually surpresses your appetite, and decreases insulin resisitance. If you are serious about being healthy, you have to find a way to work it into your life. You don't need to dress up in spandex and pretend you are Lance Armstrong. Walking at a brisk pace, or just common yard work (assuming you are pushing your mower, not driving a tractor), will help.

It's easier for me if it's social. Join a hiking club, or a bike club. Or a yoga class. Stand at the back if there are cute gals in the class. Whatever it takes.

2. It's a lifestyle change.

True. You don't generally go on a diet, and then go off once you achieve weight goals. At least, not if you are going to stay at the right weight.

On the other hand, it does not have to be cold turkey. Gradually working a series of changes into your routine will help. Don't give up just because you can't be perfect.

Among the big ones are:

a. Eat smaller meals, more often. Do not go long perioid between meals, and then binge.

b. Eat slowly and drink water with your food. Your stomach needs time to figure out it is full. Water helps expand the food in your stomach.

c. Cut back on high fat meals. You don't need to completely give up barbecue, or McDonalds. But you can't have them every day.

d. Do not skip breakfast. Don't gorge, but eat something healthy.

e. Substitute water for ANY caloried drink, not just soda. Orange juice has a TON of carbohydrates. You would think it would be good for you. You'd be wrong.
87 ZG1000 Concours
84 FJ1100
84 Laverda RGS1000
82 Moto Guzzi LeMans 850 Mark III
81 Honda CB900f
75 Norton Commando 850
75 Triumph Trident T160
74 Benelli 650 Tornado
71 BSA Lightning 650
71 Honda SL175
67 BSA Bantam 175
67 BSA Trail Bronc 175
Tom Renda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #40
Duken4evr
Map Maven

Sounds strange maybe, but I enjoy exercise. Not to the barfing point, but to the point were you feel the heat come on in your body, muscles working, heart pumping. You are not pushing redline, it is more like running our bikes at 7,000 rpm, in the fat part of the powerband.

Like our beloved FZ1s, the body is a machine meant to be used. I like the feel of the weights in my hands, or my legs working the pedals on a good bike ride. Makes me feel capable and alive. I don't exercise to lose weight. I exercise to feel alive.

Go Back   FZ1OA Message Board > FZ1 & Fazer Owners Association > "Off Topic" Discussion